ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

he has been in the portal but most of our kids who are leaving are kinda going down a notch. going to FLA is moving up a big notch up. i really want to see if he makes their 2 deep because i would then have to look at us going ''what the hell were the coaches missing''.

Reactions: Devilinside
he has been in the portal but most of our kids who are leaving are kinda going down a notch. going to FLA is moving up a big notch up. i really want to see if he makes their 2 deep because i would then have to look at us going ''what the hell were the coaches missing''.[/QUOTE

Surf I believe you about Neal, its just the most guarded transfer i've seen in a while.,

yeah i hear you. a guy like drew is not a normal ''get'' for duke. that being said, there is some reason for a little hope. we have been recruiting massachusetts better lately. bc might be going thru a rebuild phase with an all new coaching staff. there seems to be some good feelings about our new ol coach. we have gotten some good publicity out of the transfers coming in. brice coming to us was on every news site. also dont forget about penn switching to us from bc. were they friends? yes he is coming in to see a duke vs unc bball game BUT that gives the coaches a full weekend to sell our program to him. also this is not an official so he and his family are coming on their own dime.
there a few other 4 star kids who have turned to warm for us.
eli sutton ot from tennessee. we have been very hot in that state lately
jaylen anderson rb from ohio. add him and cooley (3 star from nc) and wow what a pair
j michael sturdivant wr from texas. would be a huge get to bring in a high level wr prospect
marcus bradley dt from maryland. stud defensive lineman
3 star kids we need
trevion cooley rb from nc. underrated prospect
pat coogan ot from il. another good looking ot kid. we need at least two in this class
robbie ouzts te from sc. good good looking prospect
diego pounds ot from nc. he and cooley might be a package deal. good looking recruit on his own
also
andrew jones one of our early commits is listed as an ot but per his commitment article will be an inside kid at duke

Last edited:
joshua pickett from ga to duke. another multi sport kid. will be a db for us.
update
he was the player of the year in region 8-AAAAAA
played db/qb/wr. best athlete on the field.
kinda hard to figure out why he is not rated yet when you are winning awards as a junior
get ready for the famous rivals 5.4 grade because they wont look at him

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilinside
4 star qb christian veilleux from maryland will be coming back to duke for his second visit in a matter of weeks. will be a 2 day stay over duke-unc game weekend. the more highly rated kids we get here at the same time i think it helps sell the program.

IF IF IF we were to add him do realize that we would have 4 qbs on the roster that were at least 4 stars on at one or another board? also would only be a selling point to upping the level of wr we can recruit.

Last edited:
well first day of spring ball and we dont even get to lunch without a season ending injury.
jaylen coleman rb out with achilles injury. this really stinks. dont forget marvin hubbard still out recovering from his own achilles last year. this means we are already down to 3 rbs.
also luca is not throwing today because he is recovering from a procedure whatever that means

well first day of spring ball and we dont even get to lunch without a season ending injury.
jaylen coleman rb out with achilles injury. this really stinks. dont forget marvin hubbard still out recovering from his own achilles last year. this means we are already down to 3 rbs.
also luca is not throwing today because he is recovering from a procedure whatever that means

Getting so tired of this!!! Surf whats scoop on damini neal. Go to his twitter aacount and his hyping up the year Keyston Fuller had at Richmond after leaving Duke, and some other innuendo, I'd say he's gone..., OFC

yeah damani is not at duke anymore. he graduated and ( i have heard ) is going to fla to continue his academic career. it appears he is no longer playing footbal or at least at this point is not listed on their roster. by the way, fuller had a good year at richmond but that is not the same level of football.

Last edited:
yeah damani is not at duke anymore. he graduated and ( i have heard ) is going to fla to continue his academic career. it appears he is no longer playing footbal or at least at this point is not listed on their roster. by the way, fuller had a good year at richmond but that is not the same level of football.

Not the same level of football but not so sure the Blue Devils would have beaten the Spiders this year. I know Cut lost to them at least once before in Durham. IN ADDITION, if you look at the video on Damini's page you'll notice large pctg of Keyston's receptions were DOWNFIELD of the North-South variety. Duke's attack was more doink- doink for short yardage this year often leading to 3 and out because we threw short of the sticks. Keyston COULD HAVE HELPED US had he been in regular rotation this year. OFC

oh i am with you about fullers potential. lest we forget he was an espn 300 kid. the problem for his match to us ( to me) was all the misses at the OT spot timed out to be his tenure with us. if you cant block the edges then your QB cant do deep drops to throw down field. we have had to go to shorter routes the last few years due to the lack of time in the pocket. if we can see this in the games think what a kid might be saying to himself after seeing it in practice day after day. he was looking at an undersized true frosh at RT and a bigger yet still small red shirt frosh at LT. we really couldnt throw the ball downfield last year due to the OL issues plus our QB playing so up and down. i dont blame him for going to the ''grass is greener'' route for his senior year.

Reactions: hart2chesson
oh i am with you about fullers potential. lest we forget he was an espn 300 kid. the problem for his match to us ( to me) was all the misses at the OT spot timed out to be his tenure with us. if you cant block the edges then your QB cant do deep drops to throw down field. we have had to go to shorter routes the last few years due to the lack of time in the pocket. if we can see this in the games think what a kid might be saying to himself after seeing it in practice day after day. he was looking at an undersized true frosh at RT and a bigger yet still small red shirt frosh at LT. we really couldnt throw the ball downfield last year due to the OL issues plus our QB playing so up and down. i dont blame him for going to the ''grass is greener'' route for his senior year.

Excellent explanation my friend! Thanks surf. Do you hold out hope that we'll be stronger in the trenches next year , coupled with a new OL coach to zip the ball on vertical routes more??? OFC

Not only were we having trouble blocking the edges, defending the edges caused Duke a whole lot of trouble as well. Can we expect that to improve, Surf?

one of the biggest issues we have is that against other P5 schools we are normally much smaller on the edges than our opponents
OT
casey holman 6'4'' 295 lbs
elijah wroten 6'3'' 320 lbs
jacob monk 6'3'' 305 lbs
all three of these guys were recruited as OG players. holman could play both but right tackle should be his home. getting the transfer from stanford was HUGE for us. if patrick leitten can stay healthy and play near his promise that would also be big. addo or carr stepping up would also be big. we really need monk and wroten inside but if these other kids are not ready then once again we will run very good but VERY small edge guys out there which puts us a little behind the 8 ball.
DLINE
same issue. we are way smaller than most.
victor dimukeje 6'2'' 265 lbs DE
drew jordan 6'2'' 260 lbs DE (4 star on some boards but we got him due to his height)
chris rumph 6'3'' 225 lbs DE (great pass rusher. should be on the field as the hybrid safety/lb that plays up by the line)
ben frye 6'3'' 255 lbs DT
this is half our 2 deep and all are good players BUT when half of your dline is giving up several inches and 40 lbs they have a tendency to wear down late in games (just like that last championship boxing match). you cant teach size is a true statement. heck, look at our freshman this year. they are bigger straight out of high school. michael reese de 6'4'' 260 lbs, aeneas peebles dt 6'2'' 265 lbs and gary smith dt 6'2'' 310 lbs.
IF our offense can stay on the field then our defense can stay fresher. lets hope that we can stay healthy on the line thru the camps. it will be fun to see how this all sorts out. we have the potential to be good but we need things to work out in the proper order.

one of the biggest issues we have is that against other P5 schools we are normally much smaller on the edges than our opponents
OT
casey holman 6'4'' 295 lbs
elijah wroten 6'3'' 320 lbs
jacob monk 6'3'' 305 lbs
all three of these guys were recruited as OG players. holman could play both but right tackle should be his home. getting the transfer from stanford was HUGE for us. if patrick leitten can stay healthy and play near his promise that would also be big. addo or carr stepping up would also be big. we really need monk and wroten inside but if these other kids are not ready then once again we will run very good but VERY small edge guys out there which puts us a little behind the 8 ball.
DLINE
same issue. we are way smaller than most.
victor dimukeje 6'2'' 265 lbs DE
drew jordan 6'2'' 260 lbs DE (4 star on some boards but we got him due to his height)
chris rumph 6'3'' 225 lbs DE (great pass rusher. should be on the field as the hybrid safety/lb that plays up by the line)
ben frye 6'3'' 255 lbs DT
this is half our 2 deep and all are good players BUT when half of your dline is giving up several inches and 40 lbs they have a tendency to wear down late in games (just like that last championship boxing match). you cant teach size is a true statement. heck, look at our freshman this year. they are bigger straight out of high school. michael reese de 6'4'' 260 lbs, aeneas peebles dt 6'2'' 265 lbs and gary smith dt 6'2'' 310 lbs.
IF our offense can stay on the field then our defense can stay fresher. lets hope that we can stay healthy on the line thru the camps. it will be fun to see how this all sorts out. we have the potential to be good but we need things to work out in the proper order.

This is the year for Tahj Rice to step up. 6-4, 320, four-star, junior. It's time. And Elijah Brown. And Christian Rorie is 6-6, 300. Duke has some young options with size.

yeah we have gotten much better the last few years in defensive front recruiting. we have kids who are young but with big bodies and potential. jimlsumner is absolutely correct in that we need some of these kids to step up and be players. the one kid he didnt mention but i would keep my eye on is dewayne carter at the dt spot.

Tremendous dialogue and great info gang reference the methodist flats men in the trenches!

OFC

Surf, I realize there is nothing newsworthy right now with Duke football, but how about a post anyway? Assuming the season starts on time, and we stay relatively healthy (we're due for some good luck), whats the best record you think we could have in the Coastal Division? OFC

A unc cheater fan told me if Duke was ever to beat the cheaters again it better be this year because mack is back and NCSU and W.F. won't ever beat the cheaters again as long as mack is there.. Same guy that put both the cheater football team under the bus the last few years and the cheater basketball team under the bus this year. He's a tar heel fan. He can't help it . It's his nature. Bless his heart. OFC

Just watched the end of Duke/Miami 2019 on the ACC network. at least the season ended on the upswing. With a new QB, some help in the defensive backfield, maybe on the offensive line, I'm hoping for more consistency in 2020. If there is a season.

Reactions: surfdevil
Just watched the end of Duke/Miami 2019 on the ACC network. at least the season ended on the upswing. With a new QB, some help in the defensive backfield, maybe on the offensive line, I'm hoping for more consistency in 2020. If there is a season.

Lift I hear ya and I share the optimism about the team. Right now I guess I am more concerned about a season happening! OFC

FYI
jacob morgenstern portals to kent state
jaylen miller portals to tulane

surf right on target as usual!!! Kid made it official this week. 315 pd OL grad transfer Jaylen Miller (who played in 9 games for us last year) announced his exit to Tulane. He is projected as a starter by at least one publication.Never like to lose guys in trenches at Duke....OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
so it looks like finally some good news for us in recruiting. jordan moore, an athlete/qb out of maryland is committing tomorrow per his twitter. duke has been recruiting him as a qb and we are the front runners per most sites. he is very very athletic and has a good arm. needs to polish his technique but this is the kind of kid that has been killing us for the last few years. look past his rating and look at the offers. 12 P5 offers and bunch of ivy league spots so i think he is sound with school. IF we get him as a recruit i think this is another one of those kids that when he is done you say ''why was he rated so low''
P5 offers BC, Duke, indiana, maryland, pitt, syracuse, ucla, va, va tech, wake, west va, wisky
others army, navy, dartnouth, harvard, princeton, yale, fordham, liberty, temple
21 offers and barely rated a 3 star?

Last edited:
so it looks like finally some good news for us in recruiting. jordan moore, an athlete/qb out of maryland is committing tomorrow per his twitter. duke has been recruiting him as a qb and we are the front runners per most sites. he is very very athletic and has a good arm. needs to polish his technique but this is the kind of kid that has been killing us for the last few years. look past his rating and look at the offers. 11 P5 offers and bunch of ivy league spots so i think he is sound with school. IF we get him as a recruit i think this is another one of those kids that when he is done you say ''why was he rated so low''
P5 offers BC, Duke, indiana, maryland, pitt, syracuse, ucla, va, va tech, wake, west va, wisky
others army, navy, dartnouth, harvard, princeton, yale, fordham, liberty, temple
21 offers and barely rated a 3 star?

If Bama was offering he would be a 4, then a 5 if they landed him! Hoping we get him! Thanks surf, OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
yeah this is the kind of kid you look at the rating vs offer list and scratch your head. wakes qb commit (santino marucci) seems like a good kid BUT has a 5.7 high 3 star rating and only has 3 P5 offers and a grand total of 6 overall offers. what does the rivals scout guy see in him that is so much better but evidently most college coaches are missing? just shows what a crap shoot evaluating high school kids is.

Reactions: skysdad
by the way, dont know if you guys saw this but matt skura re-upped with the ravens for a 2.133 million one year deal. he needs to prove he can stay healthy. started first 11 games then blew out his knee in game 12 last year.

Last edited:
Georgia WR Trent Broadnax just committed. That's a big commitment for our Devils!!!
OFC
yeah it is. his tape looks a lot like crowder except 6'1'' and a notch less jitter buggish. people in GA say he is underrated because he only plays 3A ball there. very happy he is with us.

Picked Duke over Virginia and Wake, two teams that have really given us trouble in recent years.....

OFC

so looks like some momentum is happening.
247 just updated their scouting rankings and duke recruits went up.
cole bishop our olb linebacker prospect just was offered by stanford. chase brice has taken the lead with recruits and tweeted we are good
trent broadnax who just committed might have a familiar last name. dad played on georgetown nc championship team.
trevion cooley has had several crystal ball picks for us in the last few days. would be a huge instate get. plus this helps with diego pounds

so looks like some momentum is happening.
247 just updated their scouting rankings and duke recruits went up.
cole bishop our olb linebacker prospect just was offered by stanford. chase brice has taken the lead with recruits and tweeted we are good
trent broadnax who just committed might have a familiar last name. dad played on georgetown nc championship team.
trevion cooley has had several crystal ball picks for us in the last few days. would be a huge instate get. plus this helps with diego pounds

Good stuff surf!!! Thanks for info! OFC

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT