ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Everything is pointing toward more changes on the staff. I didn't think it would happen but now I'm thinking it's 50-50 or better that there will be more changes on the offensive side of the coaching staff (and I use the word "offensive" in both ways). We'll know a lot more in 10 days.

Liftee keeping my fingers crossed pal! OFC

Reactions: Liftee
I don't Steve Spurrier is gonna walk down to the sidelines but surely there's got to be some young bright up and coming offensively minded coaches out there that will be capable of taking over for Cut someday. I'm old school to the point that I need to be a little more open minded. Dabo was a young and up and coming one time. So was Nick Saban . If fact all the top notch coaches were once young and up and coming. I know when Cut leaves it's going to be hard to find an established successful coach. We may have to find that young and up and coming coach. If we get a coach who can make Duke a strong program it's gonna be hard to keep him but it can happen. I would love Duke to be as succesful as say Stanford. The stadium still needs more up grades. I believe it can happen. I love Cut. He did make us better . His character stands with the best. OFC
Hey Sky, guess we can both remember when Duke drew pretty good crowds. They didn't fill the stadium every home game , but, a lot better than they draw now. Somehow I doubt that if they went 10-2 every year , they would sell out . Students just dont seem as gungho for football as they once did.

Hey Sky, guess we can both remember when Duke drew pretty good crowds. They didn't fill the stadium every home game , but, a lot better than they draw now. Somehow I doubt that if they went 10-2 every year , they would sell out . Students just dont seem as gungho for football as they once did.

We drew better than this in the Harp and McGee years....OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
yeah the staff will have to make some moves on players we have
OT
jacob monk keep him as a very undersized tackle or move him inside to guard where he belongs?
patrick leitten healthy? is this the year he doesnt blow a knee? really strong OT prospect when signed
robert kraelling never panned out so far at OT so moved inside but at 6'7'' really to tall
john gelotte signed as OT but so athletic they played him at TE. did we waste a year of his tackle training?
ron carr very good looking recruit but has he gained enough good weight to pitch in this his rfr year?
peace addo has been getting more in football shape and getting some playing time. weight has been his issue. can he drop that final 25 lbs and be a factor?
jacob rimmer another big kid who never has really found a spot due to injuries and concussions
casey holman not really a question that he will be a starter
caleb perez our freshman this year. needs to put on weight
C
jack wohlabaugh starter
will taylor back up
addison penn frosh in training
OG
rak chambers starter
maurice mcintyre proven back up
elijah wrotten played at backup OT last year due to need but should be a guard
graham barton frosh who will be a player

center looks solid to me.
tackle is where i think the questions need to start and finish. we missed on recruiting for a few years and it shows. can one of the leitten, gelotte, rimmer or addo guys step up and be a starter so monk can move back inside or will he be at tackle again this year? kraeling played at guard last year but at 6'7'' he is very very large to be inside. also with miller entering the portal this now gives us 4 schollies to fill. portal OT kid maybe? my dream is a good LT kid so we can move holman to RT and monk into LG. that would be a nasty line. transfer, monk, wohlabaugh, rak and holman.

Last edited:
Should we be concerned that Frey has moved around so much, or is that typical in the assistant coaching profession?

Should we be concerned that Frey has moved around so much, or is that typical in the assistant coaching profession?

Liftee great question! Its pretty much the norm in college football. The fact Frey has been associated with some major P-5 programs gives me a lot of hope. He brings much better credentials to coaching the O-line IMO, than his predecessor at Duke. OFC

Reactions: Liftee
yeah the staff will have to make some moves on players we have
OT
jacob monk keep him as a very undersized tackle or move him inside to guard where he belongs?
patrick leitten healthy? is this the year he doesnt blow a knee? really strong OT prospect when signed
robert kraelling never panned out so far at OT so moved inside but at 6'7'' really to tall
john gelotte signed as OT but so athletic they played him at TE. did we waste a year of his tackle training?
ron carr very good looking recruit but has he gained enough good weight to pitch in this his rfr year?
peace addo has been getting more in football shape and getting some playing time. weight has been his issue. can he drop that final 25 lbs and be a factor?
jacob rimmer another big kid who never has really found a spot due to injuries and concussions
casey holman not really a question that he will be a starter
caleb perez our freshman this year. needs to put on weight
C
jack wohlabaugh starter
will taylor back up
addison penn frosh in training
OG
rak chambers starter
maurice mcintyre proven back up
elijah wrotten played at backup OT last year due to need but should be a guard
graham barton frosh who will be a player

center looks solid to me.
tackle is where i think the questions need to start and finish. we missed on recruiting for a few years and it shows. can one of the leitten, gelotte, rimmer or addo guys step up and be a starter so monk can move back inside or will he be at tackle again this year? kraeling played at guard last year but at 6'7'' he is very very large to be inside. also with miller entering the portal this now gives us 4 schollies to fill. portal OT kid maybe? my dream is a good LT kid so we can move holman to RT and monk into LG. that would be a nasty line. transfer, monk, wohlabaugh, rak and holman.

Surf this was really an impressive picture of the O-Line you gave us earlier today. Thank you very much my friend! I am excited about Greg Frey, because I think it has the potential to be a Ben Albert type hire. Like the Albert hire, Cut went OUTSIDE the program to bring in Frey, and this is a good sign. We had NO ONE on staff who could have stepped in and coached O-Line..... Now watching the how the Roper saga plays out. Would have liked Cut to have gone after Steve Spurrier Jr for new OC, but no such luck. He's headed to Miss State. OFC

just to follow up on the OT struggles we are going thru can be seen by looking at our past recruiting
reno rosene retired due to back injuries
robert kraeling 4 star who has never hit. new coach able to light a fire?
liam smith never played. after 3 years 3rd string center. portal kid.
jacob rimmer highly rated kid who has battled injuries and now concussion issues. doubt we ever see which is a shame
patrick leitten also lost first two years to acl injuries. can he stay healthy? i hope so because he is good when he plays
casey holman been good since day one. starting left tackle as rfr last year. i like him at right tackle due to height
peace addo huge human who we knew was going to be a project. if he drops that last 25 to 35 lbs he can be a great help
ron carr nice frame but needed to add a lot of weight. no idea how much he has added. 50 lbs of good weight is a lot to add in one year
john gelotte really athletic kid. hope we use him as a tackle this year.
caleb perez another athletic kid who will need to add 35 to 40 lbs to be a factor

by the way i am not defending bridges coaching but his recruiting was very good since he took over
holmam, addo, carr, gelotte, perez, barton, penn, monk, wrotten and mcintyre. that is pretty solid stuff in three years.

Reactions: hart2chesson
just to follow up on the OT struggles we are going thru can be seen by looking at our past recruiting
reno rosene retired due to back injuries
robert kraeling 4 star who has never hit. new coach able to light a fire?
liam smith never played. after 3 years 3rd string center. portal kid.
jacob rimmer highly rated kid who has battled injuries and now concussion issues. doubt we ever see which is a shame
patrick leitten also lost first two years to acl injuries. can he stay healthy? i hope so because he is good when he plays
casey holman been good since day one. starting left tackle as rfr last year. i like him at right tackle due to height
peace addo huge human who we knew was going to be a project. if he drops that last 25 to 35 lbs he can be a great help
ron carr nice frame but needed to add a lot of weight. no idea how much he has added. 50 lbs of good weight is a lot to add in one year
john gelotte really athletic kid. hope we use him as a tackle this year.
caleb perez another athletic kid who will need to add 35 to 40 lbs to be a factor

by the way i am not defending bridges coaching but his recruiting was very good since he took over
holmam, addo, carr, gelotte, perez, barton, penn, monk, wrotten and mcintyre. that is pretty solid stuff in three years.

Surf I do think Bridge did pretty well recruiting wise. I just have to question his true coaching ability as OL, and ability to develop our trench warriors.

Btw, whats the holdup I wonder on Roper's replacement. Yes I do think Cut has to bow to public pressure and bring in a new OC. My theory: hes making sure Roper can get another asst job somewhere before announcing replacement. Thats the rub- WHO WANTS HIM???!! OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
so i just got back into town after spending the weekend up in the pinehurst area. this last weekend was dukes first junior visit weekend. hearing it went well.

GOOD to hear Surf. Any encouraging news we can hear between now and the upcoming season should be treasured. I will be glad when the remainder of the '20 coaching staff is announced. Here's hoping it will be encouraging as well! Hope you enjoyed time 8n Pinehurst my friend. OFC

GOOD to hear Surf. Any encouraging news we can hear between now and the upcoming season should be treasured. I will be glad when the remainder of the '20 coaching staff is announced. Here's hoping it will be encouraging as well! Hope you enjoyed time 8n Pinehurst my friend. OFC
Is there reason to believe there will be additional changes. Why make an announcement if the rest of the staff will not change?

Is there reason to believe there will be additional changes. Why make an announcement if the rest of the staff will not change?

DI a story about the OL coach change ran a sentence in the same article further changes could be expected. If I can find the link I will post for you. OFC

yeah i read the same BUT no one really knows whats going on. we had a 4 star qb visit this weekend and per his twitter account he mentioned that Roper is his recruiter so......

I think we all knew that it was doubtful there would be any more changes. Cut wants to win but doesn't have the urgency or the mandate to win big.
I think we better lower our expectations.

I think we all knew that it was doubtful there would be any more changes. Cut wants to win but doesn't have the urgency or the mandate to win big.
I think we better lower our expectations.

Pitiful he places loyalty over Ws and Ls.....OFC

Hart, do you think the majority of people on the Duke campus care if the football team wins? They care about basketball because it's successful and famous. The people on this forum care a lot more than the average Duke student or faculty member I'm afraid. It's just a different time than you and I were familiar with. The administration would rather be more like Penn than like Stanford or USC (used to be).

Hart, do you think the majority of people on the Duke campus care if the football team wins? They care about basketball because it's successful and famous. The people on this forum care a lot more than the average Duke student or faculty member I'm afraid. It's just a different time than you and I were familiar with. The administration would rather be more like Penn than like Stanford or USC (used to be).
Fan support is a function, in large part, of expectations. If fans have no real expectations that Duke will ever compete on a high level against really good teams, it will be hard for Duke to convince fans that Duke football is exciting and worthy of support. Scheduling teams like NCCU, Middle Tennessee, etc., calling repeated bonehead plays, and offering fans no reason to believe that substantive changes will be made, all contribute to the lack of enthusiasm on the parts of students and alumni. Has Cutt given me reason to look forward to next season? Nope. Not yet at least. I am expecting same old, same old, just more of it. Because I had many fraternity brothers who played football when I went to Duke in the 60's and because I learned from them how hard it was to balance football and academics, I will always be a supporter of our players and team, hard as it is right now. OFC

Fan support is a function, in large part, of expectations. If fans have no real expectations that Duke will ever compete on a high level against really good teams, it will be hard for Duke to convince fans that Duke football is exciting and worthy of support. Scheduling teams like NCCU, Middle Tennessee, etc., calling repeated bonehead plays, and offering fans no reason to believe that substantive changes will be made, all contribute to the lack of enthusiasm on the parts of students and alumni. Has Cutt given me reason to look forward to next season? Nope. Not yet at least. I am expecting same old, same old, just more of it. Because I had many fraternity brothers who played football when I went to Duke in the 60's and because I learned from them how hard it was to balance football and academics, I will always be a supporter of our players and team, hard as it is right now. OFC

Your comments are so on point that I wish I had written them.

One thing sure is we should never underestimate the intelligence of the Duke community and they can figure out when a product is mediocre. I just feel like the administration likes the way Cut runs his program (and 90% of the time we do too) and aren't about to make demands on him to change in any way. So 5-7 and 6-6 is the new normal and it's better than 0-12 but not what we hoped for 4 years ago.

so the official statement of frey as new oline coach put out today. he was on campus this weekend meeting the junior prospects. the statement also said cutt is expected to be making more changes to the staff by spring practice..

Last edited:
David Cutcliffe is expected to make other changes on his coaching staff before Spring Practice kicks off in March, but those moves have yet to be finalized.
from the 247 report

Thanks Surf I still have hope. Otherwise if we make ONLY THE LINE COACH change on offense, Cut wants us to swallow everything wrong on offense last year was in the trenches. Some of this is true, but bottom line it will only be like polishing a turd if Roper is retained.

Liftee, you give me pause to ponder. I will get back to you. Good presentation by the way....OFC

so suddenly several crystal ball picks to duke for an'darvis coffey a 5'11'' 190lb db/wr with a .8498 composite. was committed to ole miss but decommitted in mid december. placed as the number 3 wr at the opening nashville. ole miss reported sub 4.5 40 times and a 40'' vertical leap. looks like one of our 4 open schollies for 2020 might be getting filled.

Last edited:

Liftee no one knows the EXACT answer to your question, but I would agree the "majority" of folks at Methodist Flats do not care. Thats sad, but DevilInside indeed does make a good point about expectations. Funny he mentioned the 60s, and Murray to Harp years.People still cared then even when Harp was losing., (Murray was solid coach) because we put an EXCITING PRODUCT ON THE FIELD! Leo Hart was such a good qb he could hit Chesson 40 rows up in the horseshoe. Shortly thereafter we began a decline in crowds, but nothing like the paltry turnouts we have today!

Its a shame Cut is rewarded handsomely now for mediocre football, based on PAST PERFORMANCE. Kevin White must have been an easy sell for Cut to get the contract extension thru '23.

Back to your question, its like DI said its expectations- case in point:Recent Duke squads VERY SELDOM WIN A BIG GAME AT home on ESPN vs a quality opponent and we have had our chances! Bottom line I think if we won a few of those,it could help considerably....OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Hart, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I wasn't following Duke football until the '70s in the Mike McGee era which was not exciting football but at least competitive. Most students paid attention simply because that's what you did at a D I school. I think Duke has rebranded and kids change and have other interests on Saturdays.

I'm not giving up hope. I'm a Duke guy forever. I'm just trying to temper my expectations.

Hart, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I wasn't following Duke football until the '70s in the Mike McGee era which was not exciting football but at least competitive. Most students paid attention simply because that's what you did at a D I school. I think Duke has rebranded and kids change and have other interests on Saturdays.

I'm not giving up hope. I'm a Duke guy forever. I'm just trying to temper my expectations.

I hear ya my friend....I am afraid I will have to lower my expectations as well. McGee did have a rather boring offensive scheme, similar to Cut. However, I will give him credit for turning qb Mike Dunn loose. Dunn kept things interesting at least... OFC

Thanks Surf I still have hope. Otherwise if we make ONLY THE LINE COACH change on offense, Cut wants us to swallow everything wrong on offense last year was in the trenches. Some of this is true, but bottom line it will only be like polishing a turd if Roper is retained.

Liftee, you give me pause to ponder. I will get back to you. Good presentation by the way....OFC
Hard for the O line to function properly when everyone knows which plays we are going to run, except, maybe, the real bone-head ones which surprise even our own players.

Our three out-of-conference games for 2020 are Middle Tennessee, Elon, and Charlotte. That's really going to help us prepare for the conference schedule, NOT. Big boost to fan enthusiasm, too. So what if we win those games? If we lose one, the season is over. I still don't get it. Surf , is there a reasonable explanation?

Only need 3 conference wins to go bowling. If you can't beat, em, lighten the schedule.

i kinda am on the other side of the ''why are we playing these teams'' argument. you have to play some games you can win and get playing times for your bench especially for a team like duke. every team does this. we are not notre dame getting 20 4 star kids a year. here are some of the other ACC 2020 teams that also have easier opponents
WAKE
app state
odu
villinova
UNC
jmu
uconn
N C STATE
@ troy
deleware
liberty
CLEMSON
akron
citadel
UVA
vmi
uconn
odu
VA TECH
liberty
mid tenn state
north ala
even a team like clemson who is playing for natties plays soft teams. alabama played western carolina and new mexico state last year. my only wish is that we would schedule one of these guys later in the year so the players get a break.
yes i realize app is not a cupcake for wake but charlotte also went bowling last year

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilinside
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT