ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

so looking at the dline again and we need to do some serious recruiting on those positions. we have 2 senior de and 1 senior dt. add in rumph who will probably go pro if he has a good year and we are taking a serious hit with 4 guys (starters to boot) gone. we need 3 de recruits and 1 dt recruit this year just to get back to a 3 deep rotation next year. WOW. i feel we should always have 7 scholly guys for these 2 positions because there is always an injury or two at these spots. i would like to see 3 de and 2 dt guys this year followed up by 2 de and 2 dt the next year. the reason is we need 3 de this year is to get back to a 6 man rotation but due to our extreme youth next year we dont need to bring in more till the following year just so we get back on an even flow of guys coming in to guys going out. from guys leaving to guys getting booted we go from 2 seniors and 1 jr to true freshman and red shirt freshman at the de spot. that is a huge gap in college football. the same can be said of our dt spot. we have 1 senior and red shirt jr and once again drop to red shirt freshman and true freshman.

Reactions: hart2chesson
wow okay just looked at rb and ouch.
senior deon jackson = stud starter
junior mateo durant dependable back up/#2 back
junior marvin hubbard III out with achilles and there are questions if he will ever play again
sophmore jaylen coleman out with achilles so next year at best
rfr jordan waters potential potential potential
so for THIS year we have 3 scholly backs available. no depth. shortened season might help but gonna be tough to get through with only 3 backs
we REALLY need at least 1 more rb commit for next year and maybe a senior transfer later on.

Your concerns are even greater considering the chance that one or more players could come down with the virus and lose time from the team.

It seems to me that if a plan is going to be put into place for another RB or two, it better be soon.

fyi i was reading on another board where there is talk of anthony freeman (whom we recruited as an olb BUT is also the starting rb on his team) possibly switching to rb if we find and can get another solid lb prospect. 247 actually has him rated as the #61 rb in the nation. we seem to be more flexible in where a player plays and we seem to be really going after multi-positional kids these days which i think is a good thing. obviously nothing set in stone and there is still a ''high'' level rb or two we are recruiting but this gives us a really good fall back position. so between freeman and davis we would be ''settling'' for 247's #61 and #75 rbs next year.

Reactions: Liftee
bang bang
trey brown commits. 6'3'' 210lb olb/de from arizona
they were recruiting him as the next ''rumph type'' guy. he is a very good athlete and we shall see how he grows into his body. maybe he stays at olb and franklin goes into the backfield or maybe he goes up onto the dline as a pass rush guy like rumph. once again the word is versatile. lots of good pieces that the coaches can plug into different spots the next few years.
had 14 other offers but the big one we beat out was washington state
dad ray brown is a coach and played 8 years in nfl.

Last edited:
bang bang
trey brown commits. 6'3'' 210lb olb/de from arizona
they were recruiting him as the next ''rumph type'' guy. he is a very good athlete and we shall see how he grows into his body. maybe he stays at olb and franklin goes into the backfield or maybe he goes up onto the dline as a pass rush guy like rumph. once again the word is versatile. lots of good pieces that the coaches can plug into different spots the next few years.
had 14 other offers but the big one we beat out was washington state
dad ray brown is a coach and played 8 years in nfl.
Surf sounds like a really good get! I would be interested in knowing Rumph's star rating/credentials coming out of HS. He has truly blossomed!!!! Thx for your terrific coverage!

OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
fyi on rumph
247 83
rivals 5.5
espn had the highest grade but still mid 3 star level 75
very similar kids. rumph was 6'3'' 215 lbs when he came to duke. brown is at 210 but still has a year of high school to grow.
both are the son of a football coach so i bet a high football iq
when they are grading they are projecting up and lets face facts that a 210/215 de has to grow a lot to have an impact in college. duke was very smart in how they handled rumph. to small to be the every down de but as a high energy get the qb guy he is great. he has found a nice niche he will take to sundays.

fyi on rumph
247 83
rivals 5.5
espn had the highest grade but still mid 3 star level 75
very similar kids. rumph was 6'3'' 215 lbs when he came to duke. brown is at 210 but still has a year of high school to grow.
both are the son of a football coach so i bet a high football iq
when they are grading they are projecting up and lets face facts that a 210/215 de has to grow a lot to have an impact in college. duke was very smart in how they handled rumph. to small to be the every down de but as a high energy get the qb guy he is great. he has found a nice niche he will take to sundays.

Excellent research and presentation! I appreciate the info, and see the similarities to Brown. I have heard Rumph do interviews, and he brings that same energy to talking football. In addition to being a great talent, he sounds like a good guy to have on a team for morale as well.

OFC

yeah i kinda like the scenario where brown goes to OLB and franklin goes to RB. there seems to be some good buzz that our next commit will be another full sized DE so that will give us a duo of 6'5'' 225 lb and a 6'4'' 240 lb verbals at DE. sorry i cant say the kids name yet. we still ( i think) need a 3rd DE commit this year so IF we were to get one from a full sized kid then i think brown stays at OLB. i just personally think that having the #61 rb in franklin go to LB (where he is very good) when we are so short and hurting in the RB department is a waste. LB is actually a spot we have depth at

let me mention that all my thoughts are mine from going to all the web sites and kinda putting all the threads together. the reason i mention this is because this year is just so different. the ncaa has basically said this is an ''everybody gets a pass'' year. i have not seen it in written form yet but i would assume this means the 85 scholly limit is waived for next year. you cant justify yanking schollies from kids who have verbaled or signed if a senior stays or transfers in to use his free year. mark gilbert might want one more year to show the nfl his hip is good. seniors might not want to move on. what if a senior drew jordan says hey i can be a DT in the nfl. he can come back next year now and play after putting on 20 lbs and suddenly we have a 6'2'' 290 lb very mobile DT. or he could transfer. hamilton might want to come back next year at OT to prove he can play it since he rotated between OT and OG at stanford. who knows? we might not need some of the guys i am thinking of because the coaches know some kids are coming back. maybe a guy like senior brandon hill LB comes back next year after opting out this year due to covid. he is still on campus taking classes. it is a very strange world right now

Last edited:
Thanks, Surf. So you think we may see a season next year with a bunch of 24 year old college players? Since Duke players are different from other schools and actually graduate in 4 or 5 years, the Duke grad schools may be full of football players in their 5th or 6th year on campus.

Lots of running backs have the skills necessary to play linebacker. I think that Duke could carve a nice niche by allowing players to play both positions

Reactions: surfdevil
Oh my. I hadn't seen that anywhere else. How did it happen? I googled his name and all I see is an injury from last November 2019.

Oh my. I hadn't seen that anywhere else. How did it happen? I googled his name and all I see is an injury from last November 2019.

knee. looks like monk to center so now our line is
LT holman LG rak C monk RG mcintyre RT hamilton
that is a large and nasty line
leitten OT wll taylor C barton OG and wrotten OG/C are the back ups

knee. looks like monk to center so now our line is
LT holman LG rak C monk RG mcintyre RT hamilton
that is a large and nasty line
leitten OT wll taylor C barton OG and wrotten OG/C are the back ups

Surf I truly hate this for Jack especially in his senior year and a surefire NFL prospect! I do want to thank you for the info however for all of us dedicated DUKE FOOTBALL DIEHARDS here. You beat everybody on this story! OFC

yeah i still think we need one more kid to step up at OT. solid 2 deep in the middle but still need one more guy on the edge. god i wish addo had lost 30 and come into camp at 315.
so jack w, a senior, is the perfect scenario for the earlier debate. he goes from being a mid to late nfl draft pick to now a guy who has not been able to finish the last 2 seasons. does he throw his hat into the ring and probably get in as an udfa or does he come back for the extra year everyone is getting to prove he can stay healthy and maybe up his draft status. this is the kinda thing that is making it tough to figure out next years roster and needs.

Last edited:
I don't have any idea about Jack as an NFL prospect. I do know that there aren't too many ways to practice football. I think that it's much better to get 750 more snaps in college than getting cut by an NFL team and then figuring out how to get better for NFL camp the next year

FYI i just saw on another site where they confirmed this is an ''everybody plays for free this year'' season. freshman wont burn redshirts. seniors dont have to move on.

The catch is next year and so on. They haven’t announced they are raising the 85 limit, so if nobody burns eligibility this year, but you bring in new recruiting classes, how do you stay at 85? The NCAA is doing a HORRIBLE job at explaining the process going forward (shocker).

The 85 man limit isn't a problem at schools with tremendous attrition, unlike Duke. A lot of guys will lose scholarships. I suspect they will have to suspend or raise the limit anyhow.

so jacob monk has a good interview on 247 this morning where he says will taylor will be the starting center. WOW. think about that. his injury his freshman year was thought to be career ending and he was told he would never even run again. now he is the starting center of a power 5 football team. per monk they have moved barton inside so our depth at the guard/center position is really deep. also good things have been said in other interviews that true frosh donald penn has been very impressive at the center spot. my concern again is the OT spot. have heard or read nothing about a fourth lineman stepping up. everybody keeps talking about holman, hamilton and leitten being impressive but nada about any other tackle.
just my thought/question but if penn is looking good at center and barton has moved inside to a guard backup do we maybe move elijah wrotten to a DT spot? he played DT in high school and our depth is very shallow. we have taylor at center with monk? and penn as depth. the DT and OT spots are my concern right now.

so jacob monk has a good interview on 247 this morning where he says will taylor will be the starting center. WOW. think about that. his injury his freshman year was thought to be career ending and he was told he would never even run again. now he is the starting center of a power 5 football team. per monk they have moved barton inside so our depth at the guard/center position is really deep. also good things have been said in other interviews that true frosh donald penn has been very impressive at the center spot. my concern again is the OT spot. have heard or read nothing about a fourth lineman stepping up. everybody keeps talking about holman, hamilton and leitten being impressive but nada about any other tackle.
just my thought/question but if penn is looking good at center and barton has moved inside to a guard backup do we maybe move elijah wrotten to a DT spot? he played DT in high school and our depth is very shallow. we have taylor at center with monk? and penn as depth. the DT and OT spots are my concern right now.

GOOD info and opinions as always surf!!! You really do us a service, keeping the Duke Diehard pigskin followers in the know!!! Your account makes me feel much better about the center spot! 8 days away......

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil

DT and OT will be tested game 1 if it’s a concern. ND’s OL is arguably the best in the nation and their DL has really good depth and speed. But no crowd noise should help some.

I’m seeing the opener against ND going about the same way the Alabama game went last season.

The game against BC will be huge in my estimation. Lose that one and it will be a very long and difficult season.

Even if we win that one I still don’t see us winning more than three or four games.
Most all of our ACC opponents are better than last season.

However with the all the uncertainty surrounding this college season maybe It could work In our favor.

Dukeman, I hate to agree with you about the win total, but I think you're right. Nothing in our recent performance in the conference gives me optimism for more than 3 wins.

Dukeman, I hate to agree with you about the win total, but I think you're right. Nothing in our recent performance in the conference gives me optimism for more than 3 wins.

I think the ACC is considerably better this year top to bottom. Teams like Louisville under Satterfield and UNC under Brown are legit top 25 teams. Them wildcards like FSU and Miami who are loaded with talent. Then sneaky teams like Pitt. Add that to CFP contenders Clemson and ND. Then teams like Duke and BC will upset somebody. And UVA and VT are coached well and could surprise too.

Ok guys who is the starting QB ? OFC

Cut is remaining tight lipped Sky, praising ALL THREE in competition for starting job. Clemson transfer Chase Brice is the odds on favorite, but Gunnar Holmberg and Chris Katrenick are apparently pushing him HARD!!! Thats great for depth, and Cut has shown an interest in a two qb system in the past. OFC

yeah hart is right. nothing out there tipping us off but in my mind it comes down to brice vs gunnar. everybody forgets that gunnar would have become ''the guy'' last year except for injury. i wouldnt be surprised to see a rotation till one of the guys wins it outright in a game.

Last edited:
i can't keep track of who is the better runner, Katrenick or Gunnar, but I could see one of them taking a Connette role and coming in on goal line or Wildcat situations. Just no running back jump passes this year please 😟

3 offensive tackles isn't ideal. You want four, but 3 should be enough. I believe that I read that Boston College has two All Conference offensive linemen. The Clemson transfer is good. I'm sure that he wasn't "promised" the job, but I would think that grad transfers aren't recruited to stand on the sidelines

3 offensive tackles isn't ideal. You want four, but 3 should be enough. I believe that I read that Boston College has two All Conference offensive linemen. The Clemson transfer is good. I'm sure that he wasn't "promised" the job, but I would think that grad transfers aren't recruited to stand on the sidelines

The two BC OL should not be first team ACC. There are multiple guys better than both of them. I really don’t think they did a good job this year at all picking the OL all conference team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT