ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K seems much happier this year....

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
Just an observation from his comments reference the way the players are buying into what staff is telling them, and the way the squad is eager to learn. I think Coach K is a much happier camper this season, and I think he genuinely LIKES the team's make-up more so than maybe either of the last 2 seasons.

Obviously we werent privvy to some of the goings on last couple years, per example the issues with Jackson's dad,the Carter's issues w/Bagley being "the man," and I could go on. We did learn our PG last year was tweeting photos of a dunk from the locker room....There's plenty more, I could go on, but suffice to say I am glad to see our coach a happier guy.

Perhaps there are other mitigating factors- Nolan and John have had time to adjust to things, and I think the C-Well transition is going quite well. Recruiting has certainly picked up in recent months...What do you guys think? OFC

For the past few years, the team had problems. K isn't dumb, so he could see the problems just as well as anyone of us could see them. The problem was, there was no fix on the roster. There was no tactical or strategic shift to fix the weaknesses. Last year's move to Zone was the only possibility, and it ultimately proved fruitless.

It had to drive K bonkers to see the problem, but have no way to fix it, all while dealing with players who wouldn't stick around to fix their problems.

Reactions: hart2chesson
For the past few years, the team had problems. K isn't dumb, so he could see the problems just as well as anyone of us could see them. The problem was, there was no fix on the roster. There was no tactical or strategic shift to fix the weaknesses. Last year's move to Zone was the only possibility, and it ultimately proved fruitless.

It had to drive K bonkers to see the problem, but have no way to fix it, all while dealing with players who wouldn't stick around to fix their problems.
I think it’s much deeper than what you’re saying. Last season probably did drive K bonkers, but I don’t think it’s for the reasons you’re suggesting. Last season drove him bonkers because, as a team, they didn’t have the same fight in them that he does. K going zone was his way of keeping us respectable defensively. As a team, I think he felt handcuffed and a little helpless.

Everyone says he has always recruited the best players out there. I agree to an extent, but he for the most part, gets guys that want to be in Durham. Last season was one of those seasons where that didn’t pan out, and I’m not so sure that that bunch of oad’s unpacked their bags. We went as far as we did on talent, but if the freshmen would have had as much pride in Duke as Allen did, we may be going for back to back titles this season.

Though the sample of games is small, this bunch is what the fans, the ones that have complained about our one year stars of the past seasons, have been begging for. Heart to go with talent. We all want to win, but it’s made a lot better when we think our team is giving it all they got.

K knows it too.

There are a lot of variables to happiness besides the team's performance (we don't know what all K has to deal with). As you get older (at least in my experience) the ravages of aging (not just to yourself, but family and friends)...sickness, body breaking down (K's joint surgeries), deaths in the family (his brother 3 or 4 years ago) tend to weigh fairly heavy on the happiness quota. Then couple that with perhaps a few hiccups with the job...yeah, it's harder to focus.

Now K has his health cleared up a little (for now), his brother's death is a little further in the rear view mirror (he'll never forget, but...). Got a ton of grand kids to spoil, and now he's got a very talented squad that seems to have great chemistry. Sure, I think he's probably happier than he's been in quite a few years.

OFC

I think it’s much deeper than what you’re saying. Last season probably did drive K bonkers, but I don’t think it’s for the reasons you’re suggesting. Last season drove him bonkers because, as a team, they didn’t have the same fight in them that he does. K going zone was his way of keeping us respectable defensively. As a team, I think he felt handcuffed and a little helpless.

Everyone says he has always recruited the best players out there. I agree to an extent, but he for the most part, gets guys that want to be in Durham. Last season was one of those seasons where that didn’t pan out, and I’m not so sure that that bunch of oad’s unpacked their bags. We went as far as we did on talent, but if the freshmen would have had as much pride in Duke as Allen did, we may be going for back to back titles this season.

Though the sample of games is small, this bunch is what the fans, the ones that have complained about our one year stars of the past seasons, have been begging for. Heart to go with talent. We all want to win, but it’s made a lot better when we think our team is giving it all they got.

K knows it too.

This is a convenient line of reasoning that allows fans to blame whichever player(s) they don't like, while shifting blame from personal favorites.
Two years ago, we didn't have a PG, we had two bigs that wouldn't play defense, and we had no rim protecting C. Effort and desire on D (from the guards) would have helped, but they had physical limitations that were exacerbated by the lack of a rim protecting big behind them.
Last year, the defense was so bad we had to shift to a zone, which is a strategy nearly certain to fail in the latter stages of March. Add to that inconsistent perimeter shooting.
The fixes were relatively obvious and simple in each year. Better rim protection 2 years ago, and more consistent perimeter shooting last year.
I think the guys wanted it plenty. At some point you have to accept the limitations of a player's size/athleticism/and skill set. Our rosters in the two years had fatal flaws. K knew it, and he had no way to fix it.

Reactions: Liftee and jwill133
This is a convenient line of reasoning that allows fans to blame whichever player(s) they don't like, while shifting blame from personal favorites.
Two years ago, we didn't have a PG, we had two bigs that wouldn't play defense, and we had no rim protecting C. Effort and desire on D (from the guards) would have helped, but they had physical limitations that were exacerbated by the lack of a rim protecting big behind them.
Last year, the defense was so bad we had to shift to a zone, which is a strategy nearly certain to fail in the latter stages of March. Add to that inconsistent perimeter shooting.
The fixes were relatively obvious and simple in each year. Better rim protection 2 years ago, and more consistent perimeter shooting last year.
I think the guys wanted it plenty. At some point you have to accept the limitations of a player's size/athleticism/and skill set. Our rosters in the two years had fatal flaws. K knew it, and he had no way to fix it.
The difference between last season and this team is chemistry. Period. Last season was loaded, but they didn’t want it, and it’s pretty much that simple. When you have a kid tweet about his own dunk in a game we lost, that speaks volumes. That team didn’t fit. Perfect example of talent not being enough.

Whether this team wins it all or not, they seem to enjoy each other. Zion has more ‘want to’ than at least 2-3 of them from last season combined. That makes this season all the more joy to watch. Even factoring in the loss to Gonzaga.

So many stats can be measured with numbers and percentages to the nth degree. Team chemistry is not that type of stat, but it is as important as any. The 2010 and 2015 teams seemed to me to have chemistry and they really seemed to bond as teams and brothers, supporting each other in good and bad, stepping up for each other when needed. Perhaps there has been too much focus individual interests from some players (and their families) over the past two years. I think a lot of that comes with the OAD era.

I agree with you Hart. It absolutely seems like K is happier this year, and I think a LOT of that comes from seeing a team that is gelling and seems to be playing like the fist instead of five fingers. So far there seems to be a lot less drama on and off the court this year.

As a side note it would be so easy for a guy like Zion to get his ESPN top ten dunks every game on national television and not give a crap about anything else. He's going to be a top draft pick and earn tens of millions the day he signs his first shoe contract in 2019. From everything I have seen he is at the complete other end of the spectrum. He seems fully invested in the Duke team and supporting his teammates and winning. What more can K, the players and us fans ask???

Go Duke!

Alan

If you watched "All or Nothing" K said that he wasn't with last years squad for the first 2 months because of his knee surgery and that he felt like he really didn't get to know them and having the jump with this team is huge because he has more time to get to know them, coach them and teach them. I think that made a big difference in the long run when looking back at last years squad. Do you think two more months with K would have made a difference in 2017? I do.

Last year's team didn't fit the type of basketball K likes to play. He doesn't try to jam kids into a "system" like say Roy does, but he has a preferred style. Last year didn't do it on offense or defense. This year's team is much closer to the style of ball K likes to play.

Also, if you watched last year's team and have watched the games we've played so far this year and think that last year's team wanted it as much and played as hard as this team, I don't know what to tell you.

I agree with you Hart. It absolutely seems like K is happier this year, and I think a LOT of that comes from seeing a team that is gelling and seems to be playing like the fist instead of five fingers. So far there seems to be a lot less drama on and off the court this year.

As a side note it would be so easy for a guy like Zion to get his ESPN top ten dunks every game on national television and not give a crap about anything else. He's going to be a top draft pick and earn tens of millions the day he signs his first shoe contract in 2019. From everything I have seen he is at the complete other end of the spectrum. He seems fully invested in the Duke team and supporting his teammates and winning. What more can K, the players and us fans ask???

Go Duke!

Alan

Alan BOOM!!!
Coach K has ALWAYS placed so much emphasis on "the fist" as you duly noted. This team so far anyway, has definitely bought in! Also you're right about the way Zion plays. Like you say we couldnt ask for more, and I think several of us last year on this same site said we didnt see that way Zion plays from some of our OAD's.Quite refreshing.

Also on a side note and again based purely on observation, perhaps it was time for Capel to get his own gig as a head coach. He seems to be enjoying himself and working his butt off at Pitt, and I think the K-Cwell tandem has hit the ground running. Now there's a guy in Chris who was a great player(league MVP in 2000) , who would go thru a wall for K.....Change is good!

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Just a quick question, not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but, when are a couple of you going to stop slamming the HELL out of last years team? GD Mac, let it go man. Let’s move on.
I really wanted to post in this thread, but I already knew where everything will lead to. All 4 of our OAD freshman are gonna get slammed by certain people, Grayson will take zero heat, even though I would put some of the blame last year on his lack of ability to be a floor leader, like Quinn. Everyone last year, including K, is part of the reason we came up short IMO.

It never ends..I think the only way we stop hearing about 2017 and 2018 is if we win the title this year.

Reactions: dbav and AlanInNJ
Just a quick question, not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but, when are a couple of you going to stop slamming the HELL out of last years team? GD Mac, let it go man. Let’s move on.
Whoa Show. Calm down. What did I say to you? I've been honest with this team and said I was wrong about what I said about them preseason. I even said those that were praising this bunch before the season were correct, and I was wrong.
Now here you go getting all riled up, again. I've said nothing to you, nor any poster about the teams. I'm sorry you don't want to admit what many saw last season though.
I really like this team, and just wish all the one and done's had the same passion this bunch seems to have.

Have a good day Show.

Mac Mac mac, how come everytime someone addresses your comments you ask "What did i say to you?" You didn't say shit to me, but you CONSTANTLY bitch and whine about last years players. Good GOD man talk about kicking a dead horse. We get it, you didn't like last years team. the player stunk, didn't play D , Marvin ruined the team, WTF more can we say? You're sorry I don't want to admit what? That we were a rim roll away from the final four? You are smart enough to know that could just as easily happen to this team, this year? I think you are. If it's just me, I'll stop, but to ME , it seems like you literally just wait around to throw jabs at last years team and it's players. to the point it makes me wanna puke. I'm not attacking you , i'm just saying, go ahead , make a huge thread about why you're so red assed over last season and end the constant drivel man. It's like posting with your ex wife.

Mac Mac mac, how come everytime someone addresses your comments you ask "What did i say to you?" You didn't say shit to me, but you CONSTANTLY bitch and whine about last years players. Good GOD man talk about kicking a dead horse. We get it, you didn't like last years team. the player stunk, didn't play D , Marvin ruined the team, WTF more can we say? You're sorry I don't want to admit what? That we were a rim roll away from the final four? You are smart enough to know that could just as easily happen to this team, this year? I think you are. If it's just me, I'll stop, but to ME , it seems like you literally just wait around to throw jabs at last years team and it's players. to the point it makes me wanna puke. I'm not attacking you , i'm just saying, go ahead , make a huge thread about why you're so red assed over last season and end the constant drivel man. It's like posting with your ex wife.
Wow. Just freaking wow. Hell, half of what I say now is from listening to what K says about this team. It’s a polar opposite of last year.

I’ll stand by what I said, last season wasn’t fun, this one has been nothing but fun, and like the thread title says, I think K is having more fun too.

Whether you want to admit it or not, but I think you’re smart enough to see it, but some of K’s comments are jabs at last season as well.

LOL. You and the "Admit it" game. So you AND K didn't like our kids last season, that's neat.

Mac, just because K said this team gets more loose balls doesn't mean "Bagley ruined our team" and some of your other jokerisms you constantly blurt out. I don't care one way or the other really, I'm just tired of feel good threads getting hijacked by you whining about last years team. I mean if I'll just "admit" they were the worst ever, can we just talk about this years team without hearing how bad last years was for a bit?

Reactions: jwill133
I'm not slamming anyone. I loved last year's team. They were fun to watch. There were ups and downs, some great wins, some tough losses. Our guys competed, and played hard. We came a roll away from going to the final four.

It just seems to me that this year's team is tighter than last year's or 2016-17. No horse beating from me.

Alan

I agree that this team seems to be especially close, and they are so fun to watch. But I still love last year's team. I thought they were fun to watch also, and I enjoyed our season. Only a cosmic intervention prevented them from making a FF.

OFC

Mac, just because K said this team gets more loose balls doesn't mean "Bagley ruined our team" and some of your other jokerisms you constantly blurt out. I don't care one way or the other really, I'm just tired of feel good threads getting hijacked by you whining about last years team. I mean if I'll just "admit" they were the worst ever, can we just talk about this years team without hearing how bad last years was for a bit?
Keep telling yourself that. We just disagree. Probably won’t be the last time either.
I didn’t enjoy that bunch, think they were too absorbed in their own goals. And I think K thinks so too.

For the record, I don’t think Bagley was the only one.

We happen to be on the same page this season, and that surprises the hell out of me.

If Grayson's shot goes in and doesn't rim out, does that mean everyone liked each other more last year? It's such a fine line.

I see the distinctions Hart sees but it's early in the season. What if Barrett becomes jealous of Zion? What if Bolden sulks? What if Captain Jack White brings an alligator to practice? It's a long season.

If Grayson's shot goes in and doesn't rim out, does that mean everyone liked each other more last year? It's such a fine line.

I see the distinctions Hart sees but it's early in the season. What if Barrett becomes jealous of Zion? What if Bolden sulks? What if Captain Jack White brings an alligator to practice? It's a long season.

The story of the season: The Wallaby and the Gator.

Reactions: jwill133
Ok, but had that shot of Allen’s fell, would K have said what he said to this team in their first practice about diving on the floor for loose balls?
K has done this a long, long time. Is it possible some years he had fun, and some he didn’t?

Reactions: skysdad

That one play would have changed the perception of a lot of people. Just goes to show how close you can be from being dysfunctional to pulling everything together and getting to the Final Four.

Last season presented many frustrations for Coach. They started in November, despite us winning every game until December 9th. But, I also think he did a pretty good job coaching that team up. Sure, talent-wise we were the best, but the sum of all parts never seemed to equate to that. And like I said, missing the Final Four makes it more glaring....even if it was just by centimeters.

The group this season seems more coachable and willing. I think they're a little better, too, just from fit. Is Coach K 'happier' with them? Maybe. I don't think he was displeased last season....most of that seemed to happen when all was said and done. One of the things that makes K the best is his ability to go 'all-in' with his kids every season. For some groups, it just comes more naturally. I think that's what you're seeing here.

Road blocks stand in the way of every team. Don't forget how close it seemed in 2015 to unraveling. As they say.....you run the course. Unfortunately, the course sometimes is bumpy and winding.

Ok, but had that shot of Allen’s fell, would K have said what he said to this team in their first practice about diving on the floor for loose balls?
K has done this a long, long time. Is it possible some years he had fun, and some he didn’t?

I think he had fun last year. Now, some years are much more challenging than others. Last year was one of those, IMO. But, I still think he had fun.

To your first point, I still think he probably says it. I'm sure it's not the first time he said something similar at a first practice of the season. This one just happened to be recorded for everyone to see. Great coaches adapt and evolve....even if they've been doing this for 45+ years.

I certainly didnt mean to open a can of worms, purely observations from a fan of all Duke athletics a half a century. One person (not going to mention any names) really went off the deep end, and he must be having a bad day.

Regardless of whether Allen's shot goes in or not I would say the same things and hold the same beliefs. I think K is a HAPPIER coach this year, and if you cannot realize it from some of his comments, well you're not paying attention.

I dont specifically recall such ENTHUSIASM from K early on last year. Sure its "early" and its a "long season" but I am only going by what I see when these kids play, and K's enthusiasm....How can you not love this team and their chemistry if you are a Duke fan????

OFC

I certainly didnt mean to open a can of worms....

I don't think you did, either....you were making an observation. That's your right. I probably agree more than disagree, just because I think winning solves a lot.

One person (not going to mention any names) really went off the deep end, and he must be having a bad day.

Like I said, you weren't trying to open a can of worms with this thread....but, I think you did your best to with this comment.

I think K is a HAPPIER coach this year, and if you cannot realize it from some of his comments, well you're not paying attention.

Just because someone doesn't see what you see doesn't mean they're not paying attention. It just means they might not fully agree.

....How can you not love this team and their chemistry if you are a Duke fan????

I haven't seen anyone say otherwise. This team has been an absolute pleasure.

This thread was bound to head down this path from the start. It’s always more fun when you are winning. In 2015 we went on the road to Wisconsin and win a big time game with all of the freshmen aside from grayson playing like rockstars. A game vs a team coming off a final four and a POY favorite vs a POY favorite where our guy got the better of it. We go to the Barclays and have another strong showing and we are off and getting some serious recognition as a team that can go toe to toe vs UK. Then we get blown out at home, lose a couple straight, kick our first player ever off the team and it’s adversity everywhere you look. Does Justise even care or is he just concerned about his draft stock? Maybe it’s both. That team figured it out but not without one more bump in the road against the Irish in the ACCT. Few would call that season anything other than a great ride and a ton of fun. Easy to forget there was some of the most adverse moments we’ve had in the last few years.

Last year posed its own set of issues and problems. Many of which didn’t make it a ton of fun. Many of us chose to realize the team still had a chance to do something special if they cleaned up some of their glaring issues. And while the zone proved to be but a bandaid that team steadily rose in the defensive rankings when it was implemented much to the detriment of our top five offense that we had. We had many chances to win and should have vs KU but should have and ifs and buts don’t matter in the tourney. So now it wasn’t fun at all and everyone was selfish. You don’t become not selfish bc you win it all and you don’t become selfish bc you lose.

“Buying in” or lackthereof is often thrown around when something goes right or wrong. There wasn’t a whole lot of difference in the season results between 2013 and 2018. I don’t think anyone would say that 2013 team didn’t buy in, but they lost in the elite 8 and didn’t win the ACCT either. I’d argue that Ryan Kelly who was lights out against Miami in his return didn’t play his hardest the rest of the way for fear of injury and playing himself out of a paycheck for the NBA. I’ve heard that from a few people i trust. I understand it, but as a fan i wasn’t thrilled. The blasphemy of saying Ryan wasn’t bought in at the end of his senior year is just an example of how things happen that cause things to change, whether you’re a OAD or a Senior. Everyone has their reasons. Maybe it’s playing with an injury that isn’t reported, maybe something happened outside the court that we don’t hear about. To put a blanket on all the issues to me isn’t fair.

I think the biggest reason that this team is so tight/close is because of the way that the freshmen basically recruited each other on top of Duke recruiting them. I remember seeing a video or written interview where Tre said that he and Cam had started a group text/chat after they both decided to go to Duke so that they could get to know each other better then they eventually added both Zion and RJ in case they chose Duke so that they could get to know each other. In that interview he also mentioned that when they added Zion and RJ to the group text/chat they never really talked to them about coming to Duke, they wanted them to make the best decision for themselves but wanted to get to know each other in case Zion and RJ decided to join them at Duke. There was also a video interview with Zion about the Sports Illustrated cover photo where he noticed that Joey Baker wasn’t there when the 4 of them got there and he insisted that Joey Baker be in the photo with them. That shows that they enjoy being around each other and playing with each other. Also you can tell that the whole team just really enjoys playing together.

Jack don't mess with alligators, but he loves his crocs.

2Ms2oPZ.gif

OFC

LOL. I'm not having a bad day, I'm actually having a great day Hart. It's neat reading posters comments who know exactly how coach K "feels." And how he "felt" last season. And how much info is gathered from a single comment that this team dives for more loose balls than last years. I had a blast watching last years team. I love Wendell. And Bagley was incredible around the rim. And if ya don't enjoy Graysons game? Well, let's just say you've got issues. You two didn't like last years team, some of us did, but, that's not even the issue. It's how often we speak about THIS years team and get siderailed by last year whining. I don't know it just seems dumb to me.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Well I'm happier this year. Not that I wasn't last year. I was happy for Grayson to see his senior year come about and how the crowd made him fell on his senior day. Is Coach K happier? Perhaps but this team is running pretty smoothly despite all the work we need to do on free throw shooting, 3 point percentage and just better all around play. Sure we've had some easy games but we have had some tough ones too. The thing is these guys are gonna get better. Not that we will not lose again but we hard gonna run into some challenges. What if this team hits a slump and loses 2 or 3 games in a row or worse the injury bug hits. How are we as a supportive Duke board gonna react to that? But then again for some reason we run the table what will be the destiny of this team in history. Pretty awesome I expect but what if we run the table until the championship game and get beat. Through the years since I've been posting here we are game to game fans. So up on them when we win and down on them when they lose looking for reasons other than we just got beat. OFC

Reactions: Showenuff
I think the biggest reason that this team is so tight/close is because of the way that the freshmen basically recruited each other on top of Duke recruiting them. I remember seeing a video or written interview where Tre said that he and Cam had started a group text/chat after they both decided to go to Duke so that they could get to know each other better then they eventually added both Zion and RJ in case they chose Duke so that they could get to know each other. In that interview he also mentioned that when they added Zion and RJ to the group text/chat they never really talked to them about coming to Duke, they wanted them to make the best decision for themselves but wanted to get to know each other in case Zion and RJ decided to join them at Duke. There was also a video interview with Zion about the Sports Illustrated cover photo where he noticed that Joey Baker wasn’t there when the 4 of them got there and he insisted that Joey Baker be in the photo with them. That shows that they enjoy being around each other and playing with each other. Also you can tell that the whole team just really enjoys playing together.

Fabulous post Diehard! OFC

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT