ADVERTISEMENT

All Time Duke Greats and All Time Duke Great One and Dones Lists

Avery never should have left. I wonder if Avery was unhappy with his playing time. Was he playing behind Wojo, who K of course adored?
Avery played behind Wojo when he was a freshman. But he started in 1999, as a sophomore, and had the ball in his hands on that loaded team. But he was an indifferent student and he had NBA stars in his eyes. He and Brand were tight and once Brand bailed for the NBA, Avery was a goner.

I remember Coach K being very surprised and upset that Avery left. There was a Sporting News article. I think he was expecting an Avery/J Will backcourt in 2000. This was before our annual mass turnover.

Once again my memory fades and there is JimL to correct me. Thank you. I do remember that Avery seemed like an uncut diamond who needed refinement but had unlimited potential. But again he didn't have an NBA position because he wasn't a true point guard.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I remember Coach K being very surprised and upset that Avery left. There was a Sporting News article. I think he was expecting an Avery/J Will backcourt in 2000. This was before our annual mass turnover.
That was literally the first. Not just Avery, but Brand and Maggette too, in addition to Langdon. Tough pill to swallow on the first go around with guys leaving early. Another tough one was when Deng went pro after his freshman year and then Shaun Livingston decided to go straight to the NBA at the last minute.

Brand was expected. Maybe even Maggette. But not Avery. If memory serves a Chicago paper said Maggette would be a top 10 pick around Christmas time.

That was literally the first. Not just Avery, but Brand and Maggette too, in addition to Langdon. Tough pill to swallow on the first go around with guys leaving early. Another tough one was when Deng went pro after his freshman year and then Shaun Livingston decided to go straight to the NBA at the last minute.
Ian O Connor’s book biography, “Coach K” hits on the chemistry issues between that 98-99 team. Brand, Maggette, Langdon, and Avery were a group and the rest of the team were not a part of the group.

Ian O Connor’s book biography, “Coach K” hits on the chemistry issues between that 98-99 team. Brand, Maggette, Langdon, and Avery were a group and the rest of the team were not a part of the group.
Interesting. Can you expand? That is my favorite team ever but something went wrong.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Interesting. Can you expand? That is my favorite team ever but something went wrong.

the aforementioned 4 would usually always sit by each other during meals with it just being them four. Battier felt those 4 were thinking about the NBA before finishing the job in the National Championship Game. The team was too loose on the day before the national championship game, the team had just assumed they were going to win the National championship the next night. Coach K was not happy with Avery leaving as someone had mentioned earlier.

That is very interesting. Battier was the ultimate team guy. I always wondered what went wrong. Did they go out the night before? So frustrating, as the title was ours for the taking. Brand and Avery were dominated by their U Conn opponents.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
That is very interesting. Battier was the ultimate team guy. I always wondered what went wrong. Did they go out the night before? So frustrating, as the title was ours for the taking. Brand and Avery were dominated by their U Conn opponents.
Chris, they did not go out the night before from what was stated in the book. Coach K did allow them to relax on Sunday and enjoy the day by going to the beach.

Coach K was really upset with Avery’s play on Duke’s last two possessions of the championship game. He felt Avery should have demanded the ball instead of having Langdon commit two turnovers to end the game. This is why Coach was surprised and upset Avery was leaving Duke early instead of staying an additional season to improve his game as one of the leaders of the team and increase his nba potential.

It surprises me that Langdon was part of this group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT