ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Miami II

Agree to disagree on Foster, especially on passing. He also has plummeted in the most recent Rivals rankings. From DBR, you can scroll down to get some recent first-hand knowledge of his game: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...3738-2023-Men-s-Basketball-Recruiting/page109

On McCain, he's not known for shooting or passing, so not sure how you'd describe him a guard.

I don't see Blakes or Schutt contributing at an ACC level of play. Proctor is most likely gone. Roach is the same player he was as a freshman.

So I see our guard play next year as similar to this year's, maybe a step up if Foster is as good as you think. But I think we need about 5 steps up from this year.
Foster is going down because he switched schools and is asked to score more . There for the switch to combo instead of pg .
MCCain is a combo guard . Scoring but can be a secondary ball handler . He can shoot and score off the dribble .
Lol at Blakes not competing at an ACC level play . He’s already one of the best on ball defenders in the ACC . He went from not even coming off the bench to being first guard off it until the nose break. No one knows about Schutt you don’t have enough to go off of but he’s got an entire off season and we saw how much that helped Blakes .
Also , you return Roach, Blakes, Schutt and young and that’s a strong returning core to go with Reeves, Powers, Stewart, Foster, MCCain and Mgbako. Also on3 and espn has Foster listed as a pg and McCain as a sg . So it all depends on which recruiting site you look at .

Last edited:
It's like Jon is scared to get mad. Coach K didn't even have to talk to get a call. He had a stare down that could bury a ref. I am not saying it works, but I would like to see Jon get "T"d up just to fire the guys up.

OFC
Another thing . When your down and you hit a big shot what happened to hustling back on defense.

Reactions: Devilinside
Not really . All you have to do is see if it’s a company paying them .
Wong stayed because they upped his NIL money plain and simple and I look for him to go to the draft this year . Why would any five star stay if he projected first round ? Or a four star that works his way into the first round ?
I would hope you improve should you stay in college four years but the difference is UVA has playing time where as Duke doesn’t except maybe at certain positions .
Also it’s not that hard to investigate NIL if a player is receiving money from a company but hasn’t shown up in one ad or commercial .
No one can make a player stay and I’m sorry a lot of four and five stars aren’t coming to Duke with out the NBA pipe line .
How is scUM affording all these Nil plans? No one bothers to go to the fb games yet their bball stars are making close to a mil for God knows what product. It seems kind of ridiculous to put it mildly

How is scUM affording all these Nil plans? No one bothers to go to the fb games yet their bball stars are making close to a mil for God knows what product. It seems kind of ridiculous to put it mildly
Or look at Arkansas. Their players are making bank .

Or look at Arkansas. Their players are making bank .
Good point but they got all that Wal mart $ coming in. Who in South Fl ponying up? Just didn’t think it was that important to them

Football makes the money for universities. And SEC schools along with other schools in the south (Clemson for example) are making an insane amount of money.

Alabama is undefeated in SEC play, Tennessee is top 5 or 10 depending on the week. Arkansas has all the talent in the world and was preseason top 5 but they are just young. Auburn is good and has been for a while now. Clemson is good, Miami is good.

These schools are making so much money from football that even after they upgrade their football locker room for the 17th time in 20 years, there is still plenty of money leftover to funnel into the basketball program.

We will be 17-8 if we lose Sat. I'm not sure playing 500 after that gets us in. This is a team that can't afford to get knocked out day one of the ACC tournament. Win Sat. and we are probably in. That is one of our last chances for a top 20 win. The schedule does ease up after Sat. 20 wins is probably our magic number considering we haven't played as tough a schedule as usual.

I agree Chris. I think a win Saturday and just being respectable from there on out, and we are in easily. A loss Saturday, and we would need to win a couple ACC tourney games to get in IMHO.

In other news, on my run this morning I came to the realization that I would rather beat UNC and get thrashed by Miami than beat Miami and be thrashed by UNC.

What am I missing? We just lost on the road to a top 25 team, we’re still a projected 6 seed at the moment. Lose at UVA Saturday and we’re maybe a 7 seed? I don’t think we are close to where the ACC tournament games determine our fate.

We have a stretch of home games against weaker teams. Lose 1 or 2 of those along with losing our 3 remaining road games and then it could get interesting. Not hitting the panic button yet though.

Good point but they got all that Wal mart $ coming in. Who in South Fl ponying up? Just didn’t think it was that important to them
They have the Chime and security wallet Corp, Gatorade and a couple more I can think of .

We will be 17-8 if we lose Sat. I'm not sure playing 500 after that gets us in. This is a team that can't afford to get knocked out day one of the ACC tournament. Win Sat. and we are probably in. That is one of our last chances for a top 20 win. The schedule does ease up after Sat. 20 wins is probably our magic number considering we haven't played as tough a schedule as usual.
Duke is already in the tourney . I’m not worried about the tourney it’s fixing the issues Duke has .So it won’t be going home the first day of it .

The point is we are playing near 500 the last few weeks. We cant afford a loss to a ND or Syracuse. Assuming we lose Sat we will be back to an 8 seed. We should still get in, but we cant afford another skid.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
The point is we are playing near 500 the last few weeks. We cant afford a loss to a ND or Syracuse. Assuming we lose Sat we will be back to an 8 seed. We should still get in, but we cant afford another skid.
I hear what you're saying, Chris. On paper, we should win ND, @Cuse, and Lousiville, which gets us 20 wins. Of the other games left, @UVA, VT, NCSU, and @NannerPuddincourt, we need to go 2-2 to finish the year 22-9 and 13-7 in the league. I think that's good enough to get us a #6 seed, and if we go deep in the ACC tourney or win it, we could move up to as high as a #3 or #4, especially with an ACC tourney title. There's no runaway dominant team in college basketball, so get in and see what happens with the match-ups.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Not saying we can't beat Syracuse. But that game is loseable as well. I have total confidence in this team at home, and no confidence in them on the road.
I have thought about that game, and honestly do not know. We will go in knowing they will be running the 2-3, and we WILL need some perimeter shooting to win. This factor alone gives me cause for concern. Alex O'Connell had some good games vs 'Cuse in the past, off the bench with outside shooting.

I think Jeremy needs to shoot the ball well there, and hopefully Grandison, perhaps Schutt to loosen up their zone.

OFC

Reactions: christophero
We better get used to playing in these arenas. We will not be a protected seed so we will likely be sent somewhere with an anti-Duke crowd just waiting to cheer us to an early exit.

What am I missing? We just lost on the road to a top 25 team, we’re still a projected 6 seed at the moment. Lose at UVA Saturday and we’re maybe a 7 seed? I don’t think we are close to where the ACC tournament games determine our fate.

We have a stretch of home games against weaker teams. Lose 1 or 2 of those along with losing our 3 remaining road games and then it could get interesting. Not hitting the panic button yet though.
Was thinking the same...

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
Its not that we lost. We didn't compete. We were blown out and embarassed on national TV yet again. There is no excuse to go down 13 to one. The team was not prepared. I just hope Sat. is better.

Last edited:
Its not that we lost. We didn't compete. We were blown out and embarassed on national TV yet again. There is no excuse to go down 13 to one. The team was not prepared. I just hope Sat. is better.
You Do realize Miami ,when they played at Duke Wong was not one hundred percent right ? Miller was the X factor this game . Flip should have never been guarding him( not sure Flip really played hard D any against Miami.) Duke switched to zone and Miller broke it down every play . Teams know this Duke team by now and until FLIP, LIVELY AND MITCHELL decide to play physical no one is worried about Duke and will continue to let them shoot three’s. Point is if you can force turnovers and keep the rebounding even you beat this team easily .
It’s the same story all season . One good game with ball movement the next you can count on massive turnovers. It doesn’t matter what seed this team gets . Better learn how to play on the road and no Duke won’t beat Virginia Saturday. Their guards are to disciplined on defense .

This season is like a box of chocolates, you never know what (Duke team) you're gonna' get.

I would love to see us steal one at UVA Saturday, but win or lose I will be disheartened if we don't at least compete. @Miami was over 4 minutes into the game.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Duke is already in the tourney . I’m not worried about the tourney it’s fixing the issues Duke has .So it won’t be going home the first day of it .
Really? So if we lose the rest of our games we are still in? If we do not lose them all, how many can we lose and still make it? OFC

Really? So if we lose the rest of our games we are still in? If we do not lose them all, how many can we lose and still make it? OFC
Assuming we lose Sat and @unc we could prob split the rest and still get in I’m guessing The blue bloods are virtually never one of the first teams out

Reactions: christophero
4 and 4 over the next 8 would be 21-11. That would probably get us in, but I'd like to see us get one more win over a ranked team. Miami and Xavier are the only teams currently ranked we have beat off the top of my head. Has there ever been a year that Duke did not have a win over a top 10 team? Since the mid 80's I mean. FWIW our odds of beating UVA are 24%

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
4 and 4 over the next 8 would be 21-11. That would probably get us in, but I'd like to see us get one more win over a ranked team. Miami and Xavier are the only teams currently ranked we have beat off the top of my head. Has there ever been a year that Duke did not have a win over a top 10 team? Since the mid 80's I mean. FWIW our odds of beating UVA are 24%
Chris, I went back and looked at all the K years to see which years we didn't beat a Top 10 team: '81, '82, '83, '95, '00, '03, and '07 were seasons without wins against a team in the top ten. I know some wouldn't include the early years or '95. But I think it's fair to look at it as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT