ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Miami II

I did say that we may have been overreacting Saturday. We just lost 81-to 59 to a Miami team whose ceiling is probably sweet 16. And it's our third, fourth 20 plus point loss? I cannot remember that ever happening at Duke, at least since I started following them in 86. This team is alarmingly inconsistent. That generally doesn't result in long tournament runs. We are just an okay team. Could we make a run? Possibly, but not likely.

Forgot we were playing tonight, friend texted me the score with a ROFL.

A couple of posters mentioned this already, but not having high-quality guards has really hurt us the past 5ish years. Feels like we're recruiting how UK recruits - good size, often athletic, but with few developed skills - can't shoot, dribble, or pass. And then they bail after a year.

Looking at the recruits we have coming in next year and it's more of the same. Hopefully Scheyer recognizes we need shooters and finds some good ones in the Portal.

Reactions: youngman42
With all due respect, I think the run up the score complaint is invalid. This is ACC, division 1, college basketball. You play the game to win. We beat Ga Tech by 43 points.

We played lousy. We came out soft and spotted them 10 points. The turnovers were generally careless. Proctor and Roach had their worst games of the year on the same night. Flip was way off his game. Miami came out to play. We didn’t.

Next.

This board is comical at times. Go back and read the UNC game thread. Everybody was pumped up and talking about this team’s ceiling and what may be ahead. Now they suck and might not make the tournament. Imagine what the players heard after the redemption win against the Holes. They fell for it too. Saturday’s game will tell me a helluva lot more than tonight’s game. We don’t have to win it, but it needs to be one where we compete and are sharp. I still think Flip was still feeling the fall from Saturday’s game. He just wasn’t moving too good.
I agree but I believe as a group we were too high from that UNC game. This Duke team isn’t that good (as compared to typical Duke teams). Are they terrible? Nope, but they’ll sneak into the tourney and have an early exit. It’ll be one heck of a learning experience for coach Jon this year.

Reactions: christophero
Here's to never forgetting what Miami did tonight. Oh and NC State. And Wake. And Purdue. Am I missing anyone?
Reading the post game thread on DBR the overwhelming sentiment seems to be people are not upset that we lost, but the way we lost. We didn't compete, and played soft and allowed Miami to push us around. I'd say next play, but the next play is at Virginia. Only way to make up for today is to win Saturday.

Last edited:

A couple of posters mentioned this already, but not having high-quality guards has really hurt us the past 5ish years. Feels like we're recruiting how UK recruits - good size, often athletic, but with few developed skills - can't shoot, dribble, or pass. And then they bail after a year.

Looking at the recruits we have coming in next year and it's more of the same. Hopefully Scheyer recognizes we need shooters and finds some good ones in the Portal.

Being a basketball/Duke purist I miss the days we had great PG/SG and big men inside. Purdue has that combination as do others in the top 15. Its a tried and true formula on both ends of the floor. I dont know anything about the next Duke class but if its the same as the last 4-5 years i think i pretty much know how the season will go. The loss of the qualities that used to be the foundations of Duke BB is what has led to me becoming less of a fanatic about our games. Still GTHC GTH though!

Reactions: Devilinside

As a KY fan , I agree with you on the developed skills part. Can’t win around a team that has relied on most athletic ability to succeed.

We got down 10 to 1. You could argue the game was already over then. You just can't do that against good teams.

This board is comical at times. Go back and read the UNC game thread. Everybody was pumped up and talking about this team’s ceiling and what may be ahead. Now they suck and might not make the tournament. Imagine what the players heard after the redemption win against the Holes. They fell for it too. Saturday’s game will tell me a helluva lot more than tonight’s game. We don’t have to win it, but it needs to be one where we compete and are sharp. I still think Flip was still feeling the fall from Saturday’s game. He just wasn’t moving too good.
Great post. Spot on, man.

Reactions: dukesince91
Yeah we beat you bad in the first half though. Just sayin your guards suck. A guy like Burton would help your team tremendously.

And we beat Virginia and Miami and NC State and UNC twice so I think Pitt is a very good team.
What exactly has Pitt done as a program? Also, Capel is our guy, so I don't quite understand your intention here.

I was going to engage with you until you said our guards suck. You don't go on another board and say that. They did tonight, but they played very well the 2 games before that.
You came at me and bragged that Duke beat us. That was irrelevant to my point that a guard like Burton is what Duke needs. That was my point, along with not being impressed with Scheyer as your head coach. Duke trailing every second of the game tonight just rarely if ever happened under Coach K. You guys looked so ill-prepared to even play. I was shocked and I like Duke.

You came at me and bragged that Duke beat us. That was irrelevant to my point that a guard like Burton is what Duke needs. That was my point, along with not being impressed with Scheyer as your head coach. Duke trailing every second of the game tonight just rarely if ever happened under Coach K. You guys looked so ill-prepared to even play. I was shocked and I like Duke.
K-oach Q, is that you?

K-oach Q, is that you?
Just someone with common sense that is able to point out that is our third loss this season by over 19+ pts.

That’s not being prepared….

I’ve never ever seen Duke so uncompetitive this many times during a season…part of that is a coaching issue.

UNC game while great was a total illusion. Not only will we lose and probably badly to UVA I fully expect UNC will beat us this bad at their place too.

But we will pass out hugs and learn from it…It’s Jon’s styck know…

“We will learn from it and get better”….he’s said it so many times he doesn’t even have a different line. Thing is…it keeps happening.

Reactions: Player2020
Roach and Proctor were awful. They were a combined 4-13, 5 assists, and 10 turnovers.

Sorry, but we seem like a salty fan base claiming Laranaga ran the score up.
That’s not salty. Four minutes left up by 22 and all your starters are still in ? That’s running the score up . Duke wasn’t coming back they couldn’t even get the ball near the basket without a turn over . Sorry that is not salty that’s facts .
Guards aside it was an all out team effort in this loss .

I did say that we may have been overreacting Saturday. We just lost 81-to 59 to a Miami team whose ceiling is probably sweet 16. And it's our third, fourth 20 plus point loss? I cannot remember that ever happening at Duke, at least since I started following them in 86. This team is alarmingly inconsistent. That generally doesn't result in long tournament runs. We are just an okay team. Could we make a run? Possibly, but not likely.
This is only Dukes second twenty point loss.

Just someone with common sense that is able to point out that is our third loss this season by over 19+ pts.

I’ve never ever seen Duke so uncompetitive this many times during a season…part of that is a coaching issue.

UNC game while great was a total illusion. Not only will we lose and probably badly to UVA I fully expect UNC will beat us this bad at their place too.

“We will learn from it and get better”….he’s said it so many times he doesn’t even have a different line. Thing is…it keeps happening.
K was the same way . His favorite line was the guys were tired . Or we aren’t healthy yet . This team is young and soft and it’s shows . There is nothing a coach can do to make you play physical. He can not play the game for them . You can’t make Roach and Flip stop turning the ball over! You can’t make any of them hold on to a rebound . This Duke team is what it is . YOUNG !! . Everyone knew there was no alpha on this team and Whitehead sure isn’t the answer . He will be limited coming back .
Scheyer is do his own thing as coach and the K era is over period ! Some of y’all need to stop living in the past .

Absolutely. Duke has not had a consistent outside shooter, let alone shooterS, in years. Top recruits but they have not developed their games for the most part. He has to adjust the recruiting system. Getting the number one class when 3-4 are going to the NBA the next season, none of whom are pure net rippers from 3 (usually the case), is not going to cut it in today’s transfer portal / NIL landscape. It was always a tough and unlikely road to begin with. Now it’s less likely.

3 of Miami’s top 4 scorers and players are transfers. Same exact thing with Wake. I’m not saying they need to follow that model exactly. But it’s clear Miami & Wake handed out some significant money to get those kids. And they are physical, mature, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th year players in some cases. Duke alumni who enjoyed all those titles and are now worth millions are going to have to step up their game. You’ve got a kid who should still be in high school going against 23 year old quality 5th year seniors in some cases. That is not going to make you a top 15-20 team, let alone top 5-10, if you are starting a bunch of 18 /19 year olds just out of high school. Duke is going to have to step up to get some upper classmen who can play at a high level. The old pattern of recruiting OADs with one or two vets is simply not going to be consistently successful when you have competition not only recruiting quality talent that stay 3-4 years, but luring players from the portal who are strong starters elsewhere.

So far Duke has done only slightly more than give lip service to the transfer portal. UNC made it to the national title and beat us twice last year largely because of a top tier starter who was a transfer.

Don’t get me wrong. I really like this team. Love their spirit. And I think Acheyer is doing a good job coaching them. But not only is their generational talent not quite up there as other high end recruiting years, they are so young and haven’t developed the poise to handle a game like that. They are looking at being a 5-6 seed. The whole landscape is changing fast and blue blood programs sticking with their old formula just aren’t going to win very consistently.

Don’t disagree entirely. But …

To be fair, they starting a high school senior at PG and 3 other young guys.

The #2 recruit in the nation has contributed nothing this year. A complete waste of a year. And the #1 can’t shoot from beyond 3 feet (he should not be taking 3 point shots!).

And these freshmen are also not near as talent as their recruiting rankings indicate. That happens some years.

Plus we’ve recruited zero shooting talent and zero talent that stays 3-4 years the past several years. Just have to change the recruiting methodology.

Add to that, what I noted in another post that the explosion of the portal and NIL deals has changed the landscape of college basketball completely. For the past five years Duke has functioned under basically the same system K always has. Top end OAD players and maybe, just maybe a transfer or two - who know they won’t get much PT with 4-5 top 25 OAD types on the team. You can’t be stuck playing an amateur game of largely OADs, going against ostensibly semi pro talent getting serious money from other schools. The K system was always sketchy in terms of competing for a title the past decade, one exception (2015) not withstanding. It’s going to be worse now. Unless there are some limits that are put in place. The lure now is upper classmen being offered serious money to go elsewhere. It’s messy and it’s why the landscape of college basketball has changed almost overnight. Nijel Pack got $800,000 to transfer to Miami. And he’s just their 4th leading scorer!

Look at UVA. Three 5th year seniors (2 transfers), one 4th year senior (transfer) and two juniors in their top six players. Most 18/19 year olds whose game has not developed just aren’t going to be consistently competitive against those mature teams.

Absolutely. Duke has not had a consistent outside shooter, let alone shooterS, in years. Top recruits but they have not developed their games for the most part. He has to adjust the recruiting system. Getting the number one class when 3-4 are going to the NBA the next season, none of whom are pure net rippers from 3 (usually the case), is not going to cut it in today’s transfer portal / NIL landscape. It was always a tough and unlikely road to begin with. Now it’s less likely.

3 of Miami’s top 4 scorers and players are transfers. Same exact thing with Wake. I’m not saying they need to follow that model exactly. But it’s clear Miami & Wake handed out some significant money to get those kids. And they are physical, mature, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th year players in some cases. Duke alumni who enjoyed all those titles and are now worth millions are going to have to step up their game. You’ve got a kid who should still be in high school going against 23 year old quality 5th year seniors in some cases. That is not going to make you a top 15-20 team, let alone top 5-10, if you are starting a bunch of 18 /19 year olds just out of high school. Duke is going to have to step up to get some upper classmen who can play at a high level. The old pattern of recruiting OADs with one or two vets is simply not going to be consistently successful when you have competition not only recruiting quality talent that stay 3-4 years, but luring players from the portal who are strong starters elsewhere.

So far Duke has done only slightly more than give lip service to the transfer portal. UNC made it to the national title and beat us twice last year largely because of a top tier starter who was a transfer.

Don’t get me wrong. I really like this team. Love their spirit. And I think Acheyer is doing a good job coaching them. But not only is their generational talent not quite up there as other high end recruiting years, they are so young and haven’t developed the poise to handle a game like that. They are looking at being a 5-6 seed. The whole landscape is changing fast and blue blood programs sticking with their old formula just aren’t going to win very consistently.
Miami also almost lost Wong after the Pack NIL deal. It won’t be long , The NCAA is supposed to start this summer looking into violations that separate boosters from actual businesses. Pack got 400,000 endorsement from I think chime or security wallet . Duke alumn will have to open business that use the kids as endorsers .
Jon is mixing four stars with five stars and multi year players. I’d rather stay the course they are on and retain players .

We can’t shoot. Which was already known. And I’m not just talking about 3 point shots. Finishing around the basket has been shaky all year. But this game put a microscope on that issue. WOW. Miami came to play with revenge, and we were coming off playing UNC 2 days ago, but damn! We looked rattled the whole game. Deer in headlights. I didn’t learn anything new about this team in this game. We got our ass handed to us on a silver platter. I’m sickkkk I didn’t bet my house on the -3.5 Miami was getting. One of the easiest bets all year! 🥲

Yeah we beat you bad in the first half though. Just sayin your guards suck. A guy like Burton would help your team tremendously.

And we beat Virginia and Miami and NC State and UNC twice so I think Pitt is a very good team.
Not sure I have ever seen a Pitt board, but if there is one, go back. That's the difference between a program like Duke and a program like Pitt...duke fans forget Pitt is even in the ACC half the time.

Miami also almost lost Wong after the Pack NIL deal. It won’t be long , The NCAA is supposed to start this summer looking into violations that separate boosters from actual businesses. Pack got 400,000 endorsement from I think chime or security wallet . Duke alumn will have to open business that use the kids as endorsers .
Jon is mixing four stars with five stars and multi year players. I’d rather stay the course they are on and retain players .
Yeah but Wong did stay … And is playing well for them.

One problem is, the NCAA is losing a lot of power. Already has via NIL and the open portal. It’s going to be impossible to investigate all these deals. Unless there are actual laws that enter this there is just no way to stop it. A kid who is not likely to go to the NBA can be set up pretty well getting $800k plus for a couple of years. Where else are they going to get that kind of money? Not in Europe or the NBA’s minor league.

And second, Duke is not retaining those 4-5 star recruits. Would be nice if they were. And they just don’t land those mid tier 4 year talents like UVA has.

Anyone else tired of the whole "learning experience" narrative? I read that a few times again today about this game. Duke is going to "learn" their way out of even making the second weekend in March lol

Don’t disagree entirely. But …

To be fair, they starting a high school senior at PG and 3 other young guys.

The #2 recruit in the nation has contributed nothing this year. A complete waste of a year. And the #1 can’t shoot from beyond 3 feet (he should not be taking 3 point shots!).

And these freshmen are also not near as talent as their recruiting rankings indicate. That happens some years.

Plus we’ve recruited zero shooting talent and zero talent that stays 3-4 years the past several years. Just have to change the recruiting methodology.

Add to that, what I noted in another post that the explosion of the portal and NIL deals has changed the landscape of college basketball completely. For the past five years Duke has functioned under basically the same system K always has. Top end OAD players and maybe, just maybe a transfer or two - who know they won’t get much PT with 4-5 top 25 OAD types on the team. You can’t be stuck playing an amateur game of largely OADs, going against ostensibly semi pro talent getting serious money from other schools. The K system was always sketchy in terms of competing for a title the past decade, one exception (2015) not withstanding. It’s going to be worse now. Unless there are some limits that are put in place. The lure now is upper classmen being offered serious money to go elsewhere. It’s messy and it’s why the landscape of college basketball has changed almost overnight. Nijel Pack got $800,000 to transfer to Miami. And he’s just their 4th leading scorer!

Look at UVA. Three 5th year seniors (2 transfers), one 4th year senior (transfer) and two juniors in their top six players. Most 18/19 year olds whose game has not developed just aren’t going to be consistently competitive against those mature teams.
Very good points.

Well atleast there is a silver lining to last night's game...it bumped Miami up to 30 in net, so our win against them a few weeks ago gives us our 3rd quad 1 win. Like it or not, that's huge come selection Sunday.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Let's regroup and somehow get a win Saturday at UVA. Jon has 5 days to shake the stink off from last night. If we win Saturday, and it's a huge IF, but if it does, we would be 2-1 against UNC, @Miami and @UVA, and I would be very happy with that.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Let's regroup and somehow get a win Saturday at UVA. Jon has 5 days to shake the stink off from last night. If we win Saturday, and it's a huge IF, but if it does, we would be 2-1 against UNC, @Miami and @UVA, and I would be very happy with that.
I can’t see anyway they win on the road Saturday

I can’t see anyway they win on the road Saturday
I dont know that they can win either, but the unc hangover is a real thing and while UVA is a great team- they are not final four quality IMO. We will need to hit outside shots that's for damn sure.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT