ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell's prediction....

Meh. The talking heads generally pick the “gritty, veteran team” in their early season picks. I know going into that game, Izzo will not underestimate us and the fellas better be ready for a fight, regardless of who on ESPN picks

"Meh." I see K as the more "gritty, veteran coach." OFC

He’s actually picked Duke to win two of the previous four years. Imagine how many times he’d pick them if he didn’t love UNC? It’d be so scary.

Never happen though since as you duly noted UNC is where his boss graduated.OFC
:cool:

He’s actually picked Duke to win two of the previous four years. Imagine how many times he’d pick them if he didn’t love UNC? It’d be so scary.
Was going to post the same. So hes picked us a couple times in the last few years including in 2014-15, but somehow that isnt good enough. He needs to be remove any objectiity from his opinions. FYI he does have Duke in his final four right? I think everyone would take a final four, or am I crazy? Which would mark 3 of the last four years that hes picked us to be there. Heavens to lord say it aint so! Jay, how have you not been canned yet!?!?!?

Was going to post the same. So hes picked us a couple times in the last few years including in 2014-15, but somehow that isnt good enough. He needs to be remove any objectiity from his opinions. FYI he does have Duke in his final four right? I think everyone would take a final four, or am I crazy? Which would mark 3 of the last four years that hes picked us to be there. Heavens to lord say it aint so! Jay, how have you not been canned yet!?!?!?

Theres lots of Bilas love/hate among Duke fans out there and very little gray area. I subscribe to Mac's theory of not wanting a HOMER, but feel he has a harder time praising Duke as opposed to other teams. I understand his trepidation based on fact its his alma mater, but feel its carried to an extreme. The great ex Roakoke Times now deceased writer Bill Brill once mentioned this, and I find it to be true.

Sorry if anyone has a problem with this, but thats my opinion. I have actually been very nice, and not even mentioned his arrogance, and fascination with UNC. OFC

Last edited:
Theres lots of Bilas love/hate among Duke fans out there and very little gray area. I subscrube to Mac's theory of not wanting a HOMER, but feel he has a harder time praising Duke as opposed to other teams. I understand his trepidation based on fact its his alma mater, but feel its carried to an extreme. The great ex Roakoke Times now deceased writer Bill Brill once mentioned this, and I find it to be true.

Sorry if anyone has a problem with this, but thats my opinion. I have actually been very nice, and not even mentioned his arrogance, and fascination with UNC. OFC
I dont have a problem with the thought that some view him to be going to far in his lack of praise for duke bc he doesnt want to be viewed a homer. I think its actually a fair take. Having said that, lets not be so blind to start questioning anytime he doesnt pick duke to mean that he somehow is only doing it so that as to not appear biased towards us.

lets not be so blind to start questioning anytime he doesnt pick duke to mean that he somehow is only doing it so that as to not appear biased towards us.

Respect your right to your views my friend....

OFC

Just curious but what year other than last season did he pick Duke?
To be honest, when he speaks, I listen. The guy is brilliant, no denying that at all. He has, in my opinion, worked hard in his job to be the best, and to look unbiased. No one can say he's a homer with the camera on. He's not Kenny Smith.
One thing I do know for sure, he was wrong last year, and in 15 as well, and I hope he's wrong this year too.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I dont have any problem w/who Bilas picks, I simply started a Wendell Carter comments thread. Just curious though what year besides last year (16-'17) in last 4 did he pick Duke?

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Incredibly off topic, but Jason Williams in my opinion, has picked against Duke more than Bilas, or so it seems. I know more than once he has picked UNC over Duke when Gameday has been at Cameron and in Chapel Hill.

Reactions: skysdad
Incredibly off topic, but Jason Williams in my opinion, has picked against Duke more than Bilas, or so it seems. I know more than once he has picked UNC over Duke when Gameday has been at Cameron and in Chapel Hill.
And wore a UNC shirt....

Reactions: dukehokie
Just curious but what year other than last season did he pick Duke?
To be honest, when he speaks, I listen. The guy is brilliant, no denying that at all. He has, in my opinion, worked hard in his job to be the best, and to look unbiased. No one can say he's a homer with the camera on. He's not Kenny Smith.
One thing I do know for sure, he was wrong last year, and in 15 as well, and I hope he's wrong this year too.

I thought he picked us preseason in 2015....but he, like most and understandably so, jumped on the UK train pretty quick. Going into the tournament he had UK beating us in championship.

I'm pretty sure Jay was picking us going into the tourney last year.

He did and that’s the flaw in this argument that they don’t “pick Duke.” Their job is to seem as if they know what they’re talking about. The other part of this is ratings. They can’t sound ridiculous, but if picking against Duke is feasible, it’s probably better for business.

He did and that’s the flaw in this argument that they don’t “pick Duke.”

I am not arguing against Bilas not picking Duke, I just dont see the concrete numbers in the last 5 years hes picked us over once(last season). Mac also cant find him picking Duke over 1 time in that span....Just looking at numbers, not arguing bias, although I dont care for Bilas obviously.

OFC

He did and that’s the flaw in this argument that they don’t “pick Duke.” Their job is to seem as if they know what they’re talking about. The other part of this is ratings. They can’t sound ridiculous, but if picking against Duke is feasible, it’s probably better for business.
There's no flaw in the argument. The statement was preseason, not once season has been going for a while. Heck I would have picked UK in preseason of 14-15 season, and I see logic with taking Michigan St. I think come January, Duke will be most people's favorite, with Michigan St, Arizona and perhaps Wichita St as the other contenders.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yeah I cant exactly see "the flaw in the argument" either. It was just a dispute over numbers and Mac has it sorted out...OFC

Yeah I cant exactly see "the flaw in the argument" either. It was just a dispute over numbers and Mac has it sorted out...OFC

The flaw in the argument from either side is perception. Unless there’s a stat out there about who’s picking who, it’s a matter of perception.

I’m not even saying anyone’s wrong. I just think we’ve argued perception for two days now and it’s not going anywhere haha. It’s all in good fun though.

The flaw in the argument from either side is perception. Unless there’s a stat out there about who’s picking who, it’s a matter of perception.

I’m not even saying anyone’s wrong. I just think we’ve argued perception for two days now and it’s not going anywhere haha. It’s all in good fun though.

It is fun, but there is such a stat that was debated and then the actual facts emerged this afternoon...

OFC

Well, I'm glad everybody is so certain we beat MSU next week. That's a TALL order for 4 freshmen and a senior. Maybe a few games before that one will get them in the groove but again, mighty early for that big of a game.

I missed that post.

To be honest, I wouldn’t have picked us those seasons either.

Yeah, hokie bottom line the argument was made Bilas picked us twice last 4 seasons which is not true. Just once in 2017, and only once in last 5 seasons. Someone said something off the wall about folks being upset he didnt pick us every year. I dont care who he picks in preseason. Fortunately I havent had to listen to him this year so far.

OFC

Well, I'm glad everybody is so certain we beat MSU next week. That's a TALL order for 4 freshmen and a senior. Maybe a few games before that one will get them in the groove but again, mighty early for that big of a game.
Elon will be a pesky test. I heard they return 4 starters.
If I'm wrong on Michigan State game Show, I'll admit I was wrong. I just have a feeling about this team.
What was that you said a while back about the car in garage about to peel the tires? Fire that car up Show!!!

If I'm wrong on Michigan State game Show, I'll admit I was wrong. I just have a feeling about this team.
What was that you said a while back about the car in garage about to peel the tires? Fire that car up Show!!!

Rev 'er up Show!!! OFC

Reactions: Showenuff

I live 5 minutes away from the Elon campus so I do like to see them do well. With that said I hope Duke wins by 50 and Steven Santa Ana ha enough class to keep his hands off Grayson. OFC

I know MSU will be a very tough game and I'm still on the fence as to whether we win or not. However, I don't really get why everyone is saying they are a veteran team. They start 4 sophomores and 1 freshman. I guess that is considered veteran compared to us but we're not dealing with a veteran team like UNCHeat had last year by any means.

I know MSU will be a very tough game and I'm still on the fence as to whether we win or not. However, I don't really get why everyone is saying they are a veteran team. They start 4 sophomores and 1 freshman. I guess that is considered veteran compared to us but we're not dealing with a veteran team like UNCHeat had last year by any means.
Welcome to college basketball circa 2017

Last edited:
I met Bilas (sort of) at the Final Four in New Orleans. ESPN was broadcasting outside and my sister and I were right there. We went to where they were exiting to get a closer look. I noticed Dick Vitale was very calm before the cameras rolled, and then he became Dick Vitale. As Bilas walked past me I said "Go Duke" and he smiled at me. Which was cool. He does go out of his way not to praise Duke. But he was working with Vitale, so maybe he was the balance. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT