ADVERTISEMENT

UVA game

I know we're all cocky and confident, but without Tre , I think we get beat by 10 or 12.

I just don't see us losing by 10 or 12 on our home court. I think the game comes down to a possession or two....either way. The thing with the injury to Tre the other night was that it took away a lot of the guys defined roles for the evening. Duke has had four full days to prepare.

I think two things need to happen for us to win.....1) we're going to have to make some jump shots, and 2) we need to get RJ and Zion moving again without the ball and try to disrupt UVA's defense. If we play isolation basketball, even with as good as RJ and Zion are at it, we're playing into the Cavs' hands.

Now granted, Virginia is the toughest team we have played to date and we're probably facing them without our most important player, but don't fool yourself into thinking this isn't the very best team Virginia has played, either....and that's with or without Tre Jones in the lineup. This group, if there's one thing I've learned about them, isn't rolling over for anybody.

I know we're all cocky and confident, but without Tre , I think we get beat by 10 or 12.
No way it's double digits man. The guys have had time to prepare without Tre, it's at Cameron Indoor, and I may not know much about RJ, Cam and Zion personally but, they are three hungry, determined freshman, they're not gonna roll over, they're gonna take it to these Wahoos's and walk out with their best win in a season full of great wins so.far.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I love Dukie J’s point about this is their toughest test by a long shot- this is not our toughest test by a long shot. In fact I much prefer UVA at home rather Gonzaga in Maui.

I don’t think we should be overly Cocky but I do think think we have every reason in the world to be damn optimistic with or without Tre.

I love Dukie J’s point about this is their toughest test by a long shot- this is not our toughest test by a long shot. In fact I much prefer UVA at home rather Gonzaga in Maui.

I don’t think we should be overly Cocky but I do think think we have every reason in the world to be damn optimistic with or without Tre.
I'll take Duke vs Gonzaga 9 times out of 10. Spotting them the first game. They aren't shooting 70% in a half against Duke but once.

I give Cameron a heck of a lot of value- and I just walked out the doors watching an L to Cuse.

Reactions: timo0402
This is the toughest test for both teams, and it may be the 2 best teams in the country. The concern for me is their style of defense not frustrating our top 3 scorers.

It would be so much easier if we can make them play from behind.

I suggest all our OFC’s wear a helmet Saturday evening. It’s gonna be a real battle.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
This is the same UVA team as always, however the offense this year has been much more efficient.
I've watched them much more than year's past (rarely watched them due to the boring slow style of play), and they rely on their guards to make tough shots, which they have been making. This is gonna be by far their toughest contest, in an extremely loud environment, I think the contested 3's that Guy and Jerome have been canning don't go in tomorrow night.

As long as we don't give up a lot of offensive rebounds, and we make a descent % of our FT's, I think we win a close one.
Free-throws will be MUCH more important tomorrow than most games, due to the limit on possessions.

I remember that. It seems to me it was on a Monday night because I was score keeping rec basketball. We kept checking the score and it got worse and worse. One of those nights that comes along every now and then. OFC
A lot of people like to point to the Sulaimon exit when Duke changed. I actually think it was after the Miami loss in Cameron.
They scored 56 second half points against us! They ran a high screen-n-roll every single play, like literally every time down the court. We had Okafor (love him, wasn't a great defender) hedge all the way out to the 3-point line, and they absolutely abused him.
We changed our defense after that night, Okafor never came out, always stayed in the lane to protect the rim. If I recall, from that game up until our national title win, we rose around 90 spots in Ken-Pom D. Now THAT is coaching...

I think the level of play we get from Cam really determines this game. As he goes, so I believe our team will tomorrow also.

Without Tre, I just don't see us winning this one. As long as we fight hard, I'll be happy. Well... mostly.

Reactions: vcugreg
The Hurricanes made a world record 217 layups that night. Or maybe it just felt like it.

A lot of layups for sure. A lot of turn your head defense as they watched the man they were guarding go to The basket. I remember seeing replays of that game. OFC

Good thing I think we lose by 10 too. Everything I predict I’m wrong so we got hope!

We win because this is a big time game during primetime and we have the 3 best players on the floor. If they play hard and to their potential we will win no doubt

If Tre plays I think we will win....I’m not convinced yet he isn’t playing....I do believe he wants to play tomorrow....

If Tre doesn’t play I think we lose pretty convincingly...we will have a serious struggle to score the ball and our defense takes a big hit....UVA is a much better offensive team than they have been in years past....we will have to shoot extremely well something this team struggles with....and they also struggle getting the ball into good positions without Tre....

Let’s assume K holds Tre out....then I’ll say...

UVA 75
Duke 62

I’d love to see us find a way though!

Duke wins so convincingly tomorrow that unc and Kentucky fans marry each other on Sunday only to find out they are all related and they still refuse to file for divorce

Reactions: layneja
Why do people think we’ll struggle to score against Virginia? At home? We may give up points but why would we struggle to score?

Ok went back and checked...We do normally score in the 60’s...I still think this is in the 70’s tomorrow.

I'm not cocky, or overconfident, but I'm not scared either. K and Duke will be ready.

OFC

Vegas disagrees. Plus the money seems to be falling on the Duke side. Started -1.5 and now up to -2. As Andy Dufresne said Hope is a good thing :)

Reactions: dukiejay
I remember that. It seems to me it was on a Monday night because I was score keeping rec basketball. We kept checking the score and it got worse and worse. One of those nights that comes along every now and then. OFC
Miami kept slapping the floor. I hate it when opponents do that at Duke.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT