ADVERTISEMENT

UVA game

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think UVAs defense is as good as it usually is. (as good) Still elite. Now their offense is better though! Got no confidence in this game, had little with Tre. Ughhhhh.

See if you still wish Tre had stood there come 8:00 on Saturday. Cause I'll keep bumping this thread if I am proven correct.
Pat I tried to give you a break given everybody was devestated and emotions were running high, but man you have lost it! So what are you rooting for now? Uva to murder us so you can say I told you Tre should of stood there? Lmao

Patrick, not trying to call you stupid or anything, but have you watched the play? He didn't dive on the floor. He did get low and looked as if the contact hadn't been made he may have even spun away with the ball. I understand your theory you stand more of a chance getting hurt on the floor, but seriously man, it's college basketball. K teaches it religiously, and the very technique has won us many , many games.

By the logic in his initial thread, Grayson wasn’t a key player on that team so it’s okay for him.

I didn't think this Duke team would lose in Cameron all season.
Even without Tre, I just can't fathom losing 2 home games in a row.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think UVAs defense is as good as it usually is. (as good) Still elite. Now their offense is better though! Got no confidence in this game, had little with Tre. Ughhhhh.

Ipsy don't give up!!! I know you won't good buddy! Hey have a great Thursday and just remember "pick and roll, pick and roll!!! " Lol, remember that thread last year!!?? Lmao!

OFC

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I didn't think this Duke team would lose in Cameron all season.
Even without Tre, I just can't fathom losing 2 home games in a row.

This is a tough one I know but anyone remember last time we lost two straight inside 7 days in Cameron to ACC foes? Just guessing out loud, but thinking it was Notre Dame and Syracuse in '16-just a guess....OFC

This is a tough one I know but anyone remember last time we lost two straight inside 7 days in Cameron to ACC foes? Just guessing out loud, but thinking it was Notre Dame and Syracuse in '16-just a guess....OFC
You are correct sir. I couldnt' remember that, I would have imagined it hasn't happened since around 2007.
Believe the ND game, Colson went crazy against us.
The Syracuse game, we missed what felt like 100 open three's.

Reactions: hart2chesson
You are correct sir. I couldnt' remember that, I would have imagined it hasn't happened since around 2007.
Believe the ND game, Colson went crazy against us.
The Syracuse game, we missed what felt like 100 open three's.

JWill thanks and I also remember a brusing collision between Matt Jones and a Cuse player in the final minute or so in our frontcourt. Nothing was called, and Coach K registered some astonishment in post game....He went over to scorers table after shaking Cuse players hands. All in all it was a successful season considering the injury to Amile....

Yeah Bonzie always careered on us it seemed- you're right...

OFC

Reactions: jwill133
Patrick, not trying to call you stupid or anything, but have you watched the play? He didn't dive on the floor. He did get low and looked as if the contact hadn't been made he may have even spun away with the ball. I understand your theory you stand more of a chance getting hurt on the floor, but seriously man, it's college basketball. K teaches it religiously, and the very technique has won us many , many games.
Yep and if he would have actually dove he probably comes out unscathed.

Maybe it's time for flag football also. Just think how long careers could go on if no tackling or knock dowe blocks were permitted. All the O lineman could have their arms taped to their bodies to insure that. Only defensive and players that needed their hands would be allowed hands free. Innovation .

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
See if you still wish Tre had stood there come 8:00 on Saturday. Cause I'll keep bumping this thread if I am proven correct.

Proven correct about what? Not to dive for loose balls? No, I will never wish differently. If the entire Duke team dives for loose balls and gets injured, I'll feel no differently. Life is a contact sport.

OFC

Proven correct about what? Not to dive for loose balls? No, I will never wish differently. If the entire Duke team dives for loose balls and gets injured, I'll feel no differently. Life is a contact sport.

OFC

People always think about the postives of an action, while never considering the possible negatives. It is like people whining about kickoffs in FB. What fans seem to want is for young men to put their long term health on the line, if not their actual lives. It is one of the reasons why NASCAR is seeing its numbers dwindle, because rules changes and tech advancements have greatly lowered the risk of catastrophic wrecks and on track fatalities. Now that there is less danger to the participants, fans don't care as much. Same with FB. Same with people whining about rules to protect offense in BB, and same with throwing their bodies around with reckless abandon.
What does a player diving for a loose ball prove? Sure, in the open court on an errant ball, the downside risk is minimal. In a crowded and chaotic paint the risk goes up. We want kids to throw their bodies around to prove to us as fans that they want to win and please us, the frothing hordes in the coliseum. Diving on the floor is how dislocated shoulders, sprained elbows, and broken risks happen. It is how seasons are ended or ruined.
People talk about competitiveness or hustle. Well, Tre won't be very competitive for a few weeks, will he? Might not discretion have been the better part of valor vs the Cuse?
Would any of you rather Tre not have dived for that ball vs Cuse if it meant him not getting injured? Would you trade a possession, that ultimately wouldn't have mattered, to have Tre on Saturday vs UVA? Or to have a fully integrated Tre vs UNC (and UVA) later. Because if you say he should have dove for that ball, then you have to say that you are fine with him missing a few weeks, and that you are fine with the impact it had on our season. Because by not diving after that ball, Tre's likelihood of being available going forward skyrockets.
Cuse was getting stomped. They are a mediocre team that will have to scrap to make the NCAAT. The player on the other end of that collision will be lucky to play a few seasons overseas. He, and the Cuse, had nothing to lose in a game that looked like a blowout loss. We, and Tre, had a lot to lose. And we did. And we might not yet realize how much we lost.
Players have to be smart enough to weight the risks and positives. Tre dove in a chaotic situation which would have meant nothing to the game, or Duke's season, had he instead stood there. A Cuse player would have gotten ball, only to be faced with Duke's best on ball defender, in perfect defending position, late in the shot clock. By his action of diving on the floor, he turned a nothing play into what could be the defining, in a negative way, play of the season. And that is almost always the case. There are a handful of games in a season, for the entirety of college hoops, that truly turn on tracking down and securing a loose ball. For a team that has to scrap for an at large bid into the NCAAT, it can matter. For a team like Duke, they ultimately don't matter. Long term health and chemistry matter. I bet far more seasons have been wrecked by a player diving on the court and getting a serious injury, than there are seasons that have been saved by a player diving for and securing a loose ball. Thus, I say, play the odds. Don't do the thing which COULD result in a serious injury, as opposed to a thing that might help in an incremental way in a situation that will probably prove meaningless.
Frankly, IDGAF if diving proves to you that a player cares. To me, the most important ability is avail-ability. Making smart plays means more to me than reckless forays to prove some nebulous attribute that has to be proven on every single play, regardless of diving on the court.

People always think about the postives of an action, while never considering the possible negatives. It is like people whining about kickoffs in FB. What fans seem to want is for young men to put their long term health on the line, if not their actual lives. It is one of the reasons why NASCAR is seeing its numbers dwindle, because rules changes and tech advancements have greatly lowered the risk of catastrophic wrecks and on track fatalities. Now that there is less danger to the participants, fans don't care as much. Same with FB. Same with people whining about rules to protect offense in BB, and same with throwing their bodies around with reckless abandon.
What does a player diving for a loose ball prove? Sure, in the open court on an errant ball, the downside risk is minimal. In a crowded and chaotic paint the risk goes up. We want kids to throw their bodies around to prove to us as fans that they want to win and please us, the frothing hordes in the coliseum. Diving on the floor is how dislocated shoulders, sprained elbows, and broken risks happen. It is how seasons are ended or ruined.
People talk about competitiveness or hustle. Well, Tre won't be very competitive for a few weeks, will he? Might not discretion have been the better part of valor vs the Cuse?
Would any of you rather Tre not have dived for that ball vs Cuse if it meant him not getting injured? Would you trade a possession, that ultimately wouldn't have mattered, to have Tre on Saturday vs UVA? Or to have a fully integrated Tre vs UNC (and UVA) later. Because if you say he should have dove for that ball, then you have to say that you are fine with him missing a few weeks, and that you are fine with the impact it had on our season. Because by not diving after that ball, Tre's likelihood of being available going forward skyrockets.
Cuse was getting stomped. They are a mediocre team that will have to scrap to make the NCAAT. The player on the other end of that collision will be lucky to play a few seasons overseas. He, and the Cuse, had nothing to lose in a game that looked like a blowout loss. We, and Tre, had a lot to lose. And we did. And we might not yet realize how much we lost.
Players have to be smart enough to weight the risks and positives. Tre dove in a chaotic situation which would have meant nothing to the game, or Duke's season, had he instead stood there. A Cuse player would have gotten ball, only to be faced with Duke's best on ball defender, in perfect defending position, late in the shot clock. By his action of diving on the floor, he turned a nothing play into what could be the defining, in a negative way, play of the season. And that is almost always the case. There are a handful of games in a season, for the entirety of college hoops, that truly turn on tracking down and securing a loose ball. For a team that has to scrap for an at large bid into the NCAAT, it can matter. For a team like Duke, they ultimately don't matter. Long term health and chemistry matter. I bet far more seasons have been wrecked by a player diving on the court and getting a serious injury, than there are seasons that have been saved by a player diving for and securing a loose ball. Thus, I say, play the odds. Don't do the thing which COULD result in a serious injury, as opposed to a thing that might help in an incremental way in a situation that will probably prove meaningless.
Frankly, IDGAF if diving proves to you that a player cares. To me, the most important ability is avail-ability. Making smart plays means more to me than reckless forays to prove some nebulous attribute that has to be proven on every single play, regardless of diving on the court.

Frankly, I thought about reading this long post of yours until I glanced down and noticed the last paragraph. So, to repeat what you said, "IDGAF" what you think either.

OFC

There was no fan of Duke out there, right when the ball was rolling, thinking “Don’t go after the ball Tre, you’ll get hurt!” What went through everyone’s mind seeing him lay on the floor was “Oh, no. Please be ok Tre!”

It stinks that he’s hurt, yes. But as smart of a guy as you are, you’re 100% wrong here. We love this team for exactly what Tre did Monday. We love Zion for his all in way of playing.

Injuries happen, yeah they seem to haunt Duke, but it is what it is. Would we all love to have Tre Saturday, of course. But I’ll take the risks with a team every day, and twice on Sunday, watching them give their maximum effort.

Two things.

1. I'm much more scared of Zion getting injured every time he jump 4 feet off the ground and there are so many ways to land poorly.

2. How many 50/50 balls do we give up on before it does affect wins/losses? I know you said diving for a loose ball never changed the outcome of a game. How about 5 loose balls. 10? Where does it stop. And how are they supposed to determine when the risk is too great to go after a loose ball vs. it impacting the game enough to go after it. This isn't the same as telling your QB not to try to make a tackle on a turnover or eliminating kickoffs in football. It's more like telling your CBs not to tackle RBs because they're bigger and it might hurt you.

There was no fan of Duke out there, right when the ball was rolling, thinking “Don’t go after the ball Tre, you’ll get hurt!” What went through everyone’s mind seeing him lay on the floor was “Oh, no. Please be ok Tre!”

It stinks that he’s hurt, yes. But as smart of a guy as you are, you’re 100% wrong here. We love this team for exactly what Tre did Monday. We love Zion for his all in way of playing.

Injuries happen, yeah they seem to haunt Duke, but it is what it is. Would we all love to have Tre Saturday, of course. But I’ll take the risks with a team every day, and twice on Sunday, watching them give their maximum effort.
Exactly Right, could we lose Saturday and say man with Tre we could have won, sure, in fact it probably will be a built in excuse for many of us. However, I’m never going to second guess him trying to make a winning play within the first six minutes of a game. What kind of example are we trying to set here? If that was the case why even lace them up? Zion, please sit the rest of the year out, nothing positive can happen! You won’t get better, you won’t learn any skills. Don’t do any drills in practice. Shit don’t even practice, don’t want to pull a hammy or blow an Achilles (like myself) without even being touched. I mean, good lord almighty. What happens if we win Saturday? Can’t wait to find out. Let’s go!!

Maybe Scottie Pippen is right, too.

So @PatrickYates , would your retirement investment advice be hide all your cash under a mattress?
I understand it sucks to lose him. And you are correct, there is risk involved in going to the ground. Tre is not a reckless player and this was a freak accident. It's the same as landing on a foot when coming down with a rebound (should players not jump for rebounds) or banging your head on the floor when taking a charge (should players not do that either). You take risks on every play. You have to.

So now we don’t jump for rebounds or take charges? Don’t fast break because one could trip and fall? Imagine all the injuries that can occur in dunking. Don’t dunk Zion you could get hurt.

Injuries happen. Part of athletics. If you are faint of heart about diving for loose balls choose a less demanding sport to follow.

Can anybody name another guy that dove for a loose ball and got injured?

You coulda just said he should have just stood there and not dove and that be fine. But you actually trying to have an debate (novel telling us blah blah) about it now?? Hahaha peace!

Last edited:
Reactions: QC Dukie

If athletes are worried about getting injured while playing a sport, then why even play the sport? Why not stick to board games like checkers and chess? Tre could just as easily get hurt by simply walking on the sidewalk or lifting weights.

Patrick Yates is this boards Gary-7. He’s a Duke fan so I have some love for him, but he often has the ability to be as equally obnoxious as the Guru.

Patrick Yates is this boards Gary-7. He’s a Duke fan so I have some love for him, but he often has the ability to be as equally obnoxious as the Guru.
That’s a little harsh. And big-time hyperbole. Name one Patrick Yates parody account?? Only the MOST obnoxious get those...

Reactions: GillJET
Well none of it matters anyway. Seth Greenberg said so live from Cameron this morning on ESPN. UVA's suffocating defense and blisteringly efficient offence have us paralyzed in fear. We have no chance, just give the game to the Cavs, onto the next. :confused:

Such a hater.........

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT