ADVERTISEMENT

UVa game...

Dec 1, 2017
Despite what some may say (for all we know they are UNC folks trying to stir trouble), we are expecting a VERY difficult game Saturday and will feel blessed to walk away with a W!

Should be a good one! Good luck!

I was looking at Virginia schedule and it is not impressive at all. The good teams they did beat team's they did beat were all at home and none of them were that great anyways. Duke is already battle-tested with many tough opponents this season. I had that to this game being at Cameron and I think it's going to be a route. Just my opinion though

I was looking at Virginia schedule and it is not impressive at all. The good teams they did beat team's they did beat were all at home and none of them were that great anyways. Duke is already battle-tested with many tough opponents this season. I had that to this game being at Cameron and I think it's going to be a route. Just my opinion though

Maybe... good luck

We've got our hands full, but I like to think that applies to Virginia also. Their defense is elite, and we have to attack it with poise, and precision. It's in Cameron, and that's a big plus for us, but that doesn't guarantee a win. If we're not prepared, and if we don't play well, we will get beat. We're still a work in progress, and we're getting better little by little, and winning this game would really get us to rockin'. I like us in a close, hard fought game, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

OFC

We've got our hands full, but I like to think that applies to Virginia also. Their defense is elite, and we have to attack it with poise, and precision. It's in Cameron, and that's a big plus for us, but that doesn't guarantee a win. If we're not prepared, and if we don't play well, we will get beat. We're still a work in progress, and we're getting better little by little, and winning this game would really get us to rockin'. I like us in a close, hard fought game, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

OFC
Good post!

It's crazy to me how in this day in age, Tony Bennett can get a group of young guys to compete on defense like they do. It's very cool to watch. I think it will be interesting to see how we perform against it.

As we know from years past, they double every post entry and rotate accordingly. I think if Bagley and Carter can react quickly and find the open man, or each other, we can be successful. But that's so hard to do with how well they rotate and closeout. If we limit turnovers, along with GA and Trent Jr hitting some shots from 3, we can pull this one out without much issue. But I'm only comfortable because we are in Cameron. We tend to play well at that place.

Last edited:
It's going to come down to the pace of the game. We score in the upper 70's we will win going away. Mid to upper 60's will be a nail biter. Low 60's we lose. Jmo

We have to make play our game and not get lured into that deliberate pace of game UVA plays. OFC

I think we push the tempo make a few passes and take a shot. Hopefully our high powered offense can win out against their strong defense. I like Bennett and think he's pushing for second best coach in the ACC

There two tallest starters are both listed at 6' 7"
I believe 6' 10" Carter and 6' 11" Bagley will have a field day in the paint if we can get the ball to them.

They are going to double team the post almost time it gets dumped in. It has given us trouble in the past. They will pack it in and try to physically contest every 2 pt shot. Indiana tried to double Bags and Carter to and it had some success. I read a good article on it earlier.

I think Wendell has evolved greatly and passes well for a big man and Bagley is playing at another level. I think it is close for a while but eventually I think we go on a couple runs and win by 10. The gym will be a factor too. It's gonna be rocking. We definitely need Trent and Allen to hit their open 3's.

Please bare with me as this old fart tries to give his take on how to break UVA's defense. 1st of all we have the master mind of defense in Coach K. Yes the last several years have we have not been very good defensively and the reason for that is you can't teach these kids defense in 8 months . The elite players are gone in a year. Just think this years if Bagley and Carter stayed for 4 years under Coach K and his defensive teaching skills how good these guys would be. If Coach K is the master then he certainly knows how to break it . I haven't done much research but I think coach K has had really good success against Bennett. I do remember saying after Bennett started having really good defensive teams he reminded me of a young Coach k in teaching defense. The difference is Coach K's teams before the one and done era could put points on the board also. Coach K still is going after and getting the best but he has to reload every year. Bennett recruits solid players that tend to hang around and he has the time to engrave them in his style of game. That's why I think we have the advantage. The key is not falling into Bennett's pace of game and playing solid D ourselves which is getting better. That's my take. OFC

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
This game will come down to a few factors. Rebounds. We have to win on both offensive and defensive rebounds. Pace and tempo. We have to set the pace. If we allow UVA to control the pace, we’re in for a rough afternoon. Defense. We know they have an elite defense. It’s time we elevate this aspect of our game. Free throws. We are going to be the more aggressive team; we need to capitalize on that. It’s a game we can win, but it’s also very one that’s easy to give away.

We have to match their defensive IQ, with defensive intensity. We have the talent in this matchup (like most), all it has to do is work hard.

Key to beating the pack line defense is when you give it to the post he must quickly pass it to a cutter before the double comes.If that is covered it leaves a perimeter guy open.Holding the ball on the post plays into their hand.Bagley and Carter must make quick decisive moves for us to win

Reactions: dukiejay
There two tallest starters are both listed at 6' 7"
I believe 6' 10" Carter and 6' 11" Bagley will have a field day in the paint if we can get the ball to them.
Salt is 6’10”...Diakite is 6’9”, these are the 2 that play center......playing very little right now is Huff at 7’1”. They also have Wilkins and Hunter at 6’7”.....

Salt is 6’10”...Diakite is 6’9”, these are the 2 that play center......playing very little right now is Huff at 7’1”. They also have Wilkins and Hunter at 6’7”.....
And nobody except for 8 people in Charlottesville know who any of these players are.

I feel sure they will introduce their self to your team Saturday.....I hope your team is looking past UVA like your fans are doing.
No one is looking passed UVA. In fact. Many were concerned they were looking passed Wake bc this game was coming up. Whatever you got to convince yourself of to have that chip on your shoulder though- i respect it. It’s going to be a battle.

No one is looking passed UVA. In fact. Many were concerned they were looking passed Wake bc this game was coming up. Whatever you got to convince yourself of to have that chip on your shoulder though- i respect it. It’s going to be a battle.
I also believe it will be a battle and give the edge to Duke because it’s a home game. But I believe UVA is capable of winning, Duke hasn’t seen a defense like this all year. Texas’s Defense doesn’t compare to what you will face Saturday. The offensive efficiency of this UVA team is the best under Bennett. Looking forward to a great game.

I also believe it will be a battle and give the edge to Duke because it’s a home game. But I believe UVA is capable of winning, Duke hasn’t seen a defense like this all year. Texas’s Defense doesn’t compare to what you will face Saturday. The offensive efficiency of this UVA team is the best under Bennett. Looking forward to a great game.
Texas's offence doesn't compare to what you will see Saturday either...

My biggest fear, Bagley. He doesn't seem to understand the double team yet. He prefers to fight through it rather than dish. Against UVA, this could be a serious issue. I like Gary and Grayson to go off from 3 in this one, I think they'll play great interior D. We BETTER make some damn Ft's or we are gonna lose this one.

Reactions: topps coach
My biggest fear, Bagley. He doesn't seem to understand the double team yet. He prefers to fight through it rather than dish. Against UVA, this could be a serious issue. I like Gary and Grayson to go off from 3 in this one, I think they'll play great interior D. We BETTER make some damn Ft's or we are gonna lose this one.
We need to hit some threes and at least 75 percent from the free throw line

Great point. Bagley is usually good enough to fight through a double team and score anyway, won't happen Saturday. Given limited possesions, I'd love for him to not shoot any 3's either. Again, given limited possesions, free throws will be more important than ever.

Reactions: Showenuff
We need to hit some threes and at least 75 percent from the free throw line

I think free throws are going to be a worrisome issue in every game going forward. There will be nights where we're pretty good, relatively speaking, and there will be other where we pull our hair. As I've said before, all of Marvin, Wendell and Trevon are capable FT shooters, they just lack any kind of consistency. We've seen games where Marvin will go 10-for-12, and then other where he's 2-for-8. It's a big and scary reality for this team.

Ok. I was going by the 5 that had the most minutes played.

Reactions: sgrooms
It will come down to rebounding for us. If we can hit the boards like we are capable then we will win. Bagley and Carter will get a lot of points on offensive rebounds.

What are most of the people on your board saying about the game?
It will be tough because it is at Cameron. Most feel like the offense is underrated because the pace of play is slower and we don’t put up a lot of points. The offensive efficiency is the best it’s been under Bennett. We have 4 players this season (Hall, Guy, Jerome, Hunter) that can lead the team in scoring. In years past we have one, maybe two go to guys. In the past you stop those one or two and we were done, this year more balanced. I really believe if most had to bet on the game they would give Duke the edge, but no one would be surprised if UVA won. Last I saw the spread was Duke by 1.5.....I’m in Vegas at the Wynn if you guys need me to place some bets for you...LOL....I’m betting Duke heavy to jinx you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT