ADVERTISEMENT

Tre......

QC Dukie

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Apr 16, 2014
Any info yet if Tre will be available tomorrow night? We should be able to handle Pitt without him, however it IS a road acc game and we all know how those can be.

I believe they said slightly worse than grade 1. If that’s accurate I’d say another 1-2 weeks. Without any contact I’d say maybe even tomo night but with screens, etc, it’s too risky (unless he supports the shoulder somehow)....

I believe they said slightly worse than grade 1. If that’s accurate I’d say another 1-2 weeks. Without any contact I’d say maybe even tomo night but with screens, etc, it’s too risky (unless he supports the shoulder somehow)....

Article on our front page said that Tre was a game day decision against UVA and was day to day Thursday of last week. Think Tre dresses against Pitt but only plays if needed, and definitely plays some minutes against GT at home in preparation for @ND and ST Johns at home.

Feel like K is a fan of bringing guys back in Cameron. My guess (with zero medical knowledge) is Tre is back Sat in Cameron.

Be nice for him to get a game in before going to South Bend 2 days later.

I think if he's good to go and ready he should play against Pitt. The more he's out the more adjustments that need to be made and when he comes back all
hough it won't be major there will be adjustments again. No way though if he's not ready should he play. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Keep him out. Offensively, the adjustments weren't major and it forces Zion and RJ to be a little more disciplined and attack at the right time, after the D has been forced to shift. I like that emphasis and it can and should be easily maintained once Tre is back. We also need to develop OConnell a bit more. We will need him going forward.

im not sure why I’d rush him back vs Pitt, although every game is tough in the ACC. I’m going to say they hold him out again.
My thoughts as well Timo. I think we see him Saturday vs GT

I doubt he plays against Pittsburgh.

Capel has done a fantastic job with that team, but I don't think they're a threat to beat us with the way their young guards turn the ball over.

I really don't think we will see Tre against Pitt, nor will he be in uniform. I really hope he does not play and takes a little more time to get the mobility back in his shoulder. It is just not worth the chance at this time, and believe me, I want him back ASAP.
"K" even stated that his movement is still limited, which in itself is a reason to wait.
Just consider how fortunate Duke is that he is out of the sling! Personally, I can wait another week or two, compared to what we first thought might be a season ending injury!
Go Duke!
OFC

Keep him out. Offensively, the adjustments weren't major and it forces Zion and RJ to be a little more disciplined and attack at the right time, after the D has been forced to shift. I like that emphasis and it can and should be easily maintained once Tre is back. We also need to develop OConnell a bit more. We will need him going forward.
I think we should let him heal, and being him back against St. John's so that way he and the team have two home games to get back into too form before our rematch with UVA.

Let him rest against Pitt and GT, pick five guys on this board and we should be able to keep up with GT, they are horrible.

Reactions: pisgah101
If he's ready then play him, if not...don't. I'm sure the people that decide and know all the facts (Tre, K, & doctors) will make the best decision for all concerned.
Now as to Pitt, that is no gimme...not on the road.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
If he's ready then play him, if not...don't. I'm sure the people that decide and know all the facts (Tre, K, & doctors) will make the best decision for all concerned.

OFC
Agreed. If he’s 100% ready to play, by definition he’s not being rushed back.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
It is a marathon not a sprint hope he is held out for at least one more full week

Reactions: jcdevilfan
Article on our front page said that Tre was a game day decision against UVA and was day to day Thursday of last week. Think Tre dresses against Pitt but only plays if needed, and definitely plays some minutes against GT at home in preparation for @ND and ST Johns at home.
I don't think Tre will dress until he is ready to start and play his full complement of minutes. I don't see a situation where he is not healthy enough to start but K calls his number off the bench due to foul trouble, injury, score, etc. Coaching staff is looking long towards March

An AC sprain is something that I would not bring him back too quickly from. I agree with those that think he comes back when 100% - and I just don't think we will be there for another week or more. If he goes out and takes a hard fall or a good shot running around a screen, he will be right back to square one. If the injury truly was more severe than grade 1, I don't see how he plays this week. The rule of thumb on a grade 1 is 2 weeks.
But I believe the coaching and medical staffs understand this injury and its risks. If he plays this week, it means he's 100%, because they know what reinjury means. I will be (delightfully) surprised if he plays this week.

Kyrie's toe has left me with a near constant fear of injury. Not for all our guys, but certain guys. Grayson, because of his style and multiple injuries. Amile. Enough said. Zion. He gets up so high and plays so aggressively on both ends. And now Tre. Almost every second that Tre is in, I will be nervous.

I would like to see goldwire utilized some while Tre recovers . But suse cant be taking 40 foot jump shots when he comes into the game.

I don’t think Goldwire needs to provide any role other than what he’s done all season. If situationally it calls for it then shoehorn him in for a spot duty here or there, otherwise no need. Alex on the other hand, i would like to see get a more consistent role. He has been anything but, however he’s showed in certain points that he is capable of being a solid asset.

Yeah, other than those spot instances, I kind of agree about Goldwire. We're clearly better with RJ or Cam being the primary ball handler, if Tre's not in the game.

If they think his shoulder will be healed in 1-2 weeks then I think they should hold him out until at least the Georgia Tech game because that’ll be 12 days since he got hurt then see if it’s healed and if it’s not then hold him out until the Notre Dame game because that will be exactly 2 weeks since his injury. Those 3 games are all games that we should be able to win without Tre because all 3 of those teams are in the bottom half of the ACC and they all have at least 5 losses. Even if we were to lose 1 of those games, it’s better to lose a game than to risk Tre’s injury getting worse by playing him too soon.

Last edited:

OFC

That's right. Capel knows all our secret plays.OFC

If they think his shoulder will be healed in 1-3 weeks then I think they should hold him out until at least the Georgia Tech game because that’ll be 12 days since he got hurt then see if it’s healed and if it’s not then hold him out until the Notre Dame game because that will be exactly 2 weeks since his injury. Those 3 games are all games that we should be able to win without Tre because all 3 of those teams are in the bottom half of the ACC and they all have at least 5 losses. Even if we were to lose 1 of those games, it’s better to lose a game than to risk Tre’s injury getting worse by playing him too soon.

We should be able to beat both without Tre. If we dont then it's gonna just be one of thone nights when nothing is falling for us and everything is falling for them just like Syracuse and we still almost beat them without Tre and Cam. If Cam had played we would have won anyway. OFC

We should be able to beat both without Tre. If we dont then it's gonna just be one of thone nights when nothing is falling for us and everything is falling for them just like Syracuse and we still almost beat them without Tre and Cam. If Cam had played we would have won anyway. OFC
That’s the way I look at it. We almost beat Syracuse without Tre and Cam, so with Cam back in the lineup we should be able to beat the teams we play over the next week or so even without Tre and even if we lose a game it’s not really that big of a deal because in the long run it’s better to have everyone healthy and ready for March and April.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
No way he plays against Pitt. Best chance is a brief time against GT at home. But based on what people are saying and reports from Cameron -- he will be back!

Without Tre is a good time for the rest of the guys to adopt the attitude of: F this noise, we are kicking ass no matter what." Then go out and do it, especially against teams that have no business beating us. I get Suracuse. Cam was out too, they shot crazy against mostly good D and are way better than they were playing. Pitt, ND and Tech, not so. With Cam, we need to go out and put everyone on notice. Just like RJ said.

Not sure it’s worth risking aggravating it against the next two opponents. Not trying to look past them as Duke usually has the fluke loss to a bottom of the standings ACC team, but the risk/reward analysis says sit him IMO.

I’m judging from some of the guys saying he’ll play tomorrow that you’ve never separated a shoulder before lol
My shoulders are always bothering me due getting older (specifically my left shoulder) so I don’t even want to imagine the level of pain from a separated shoulder.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Both my shoulders hurt like hell. If I try to sleep on my side, I wake up from the pain. I would recommend to hold him out as long as possible. I wish I had taken better care of myself when I was younger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT