ADVERTISEMENT

Top 50 Defense on Kenpom!

I think it's our second time being in the top 50 this year. Last time we got there we fell right back down. Hopefully not this time. I think Coach K actually sticking to a defense is what is improving our defense.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Combination of improvement and also the schedule getting easier facing pretty average to trash offenses.

Zone has stopped a lot of opposing guards driving to the basket on us. Thats really helped our defensive number.
OFC

The Adjusted Efficiency Margin accounts for the strength of schedule into the equation. The formula take into consideration if we're playing a team that has a defense that is 20% better than the national average (adjusted defensive efficiency is points allowed for every 100 possessions). Thus, when we play Clemson and only score 66 points, our offensive adjusted efficiency isn't materially effected. On the other hand, holding Baghdad State and Tokyo Tech to 48 points isn't going to dramatically boost our ranking in the defensive metrics.

That dudes been over smooching some cheeks on Thr. I peeked and saw some of his posts.

Not sure what you mean by smooching cheeks lol. Just having friendly conversation about basketball. I said the defense has improved.

Recently, as in last 5 or so games, Duke went through an easier stretch of their schedule imo.
St. Johns - pretty awful defense. 81 pts to Kenpom #119 offense.

@UNC - Defense was again not impressive - no need to explain much further as there was much discussion on here about it

@GT - offense is very poor (#201 kenpom). Held them to 69 which is average defense.

VT - defense was great. VT has a very good offense (#21.. Not sure how that's "right behind Duke's though lmao) but lives and dies by the three... They're great at home - I'll be interested to see Duke's defense at VT

Clemson - Good defense. Clemson without Grantham and Mitchell hurts them offensively, especially the trey ball. Figured it would be low scoring since Duke is without Bagley as well.

Overall, like I said, the defense has improved but that's also due to facing weaker offenses. UNC and VT have good offenses but not impressed by what Clemson, St. Johns, or GT do. Defensive efficiency typically increases against those teams. Duke also tends to play better at home and 3 home games seems to have helped.

Zone is also preventing us from fouling a lot which gives other teams more FT (scoring) opportunities. That, combined with a decrease in turnovers to go along with our highly efficient offense is at work as well.

Reactions: dukesince91
Not sure what you mean by smooching cheeks lol. Just having friendly conversation about basketball. I said the defense has improved.

Recently, as in last 5 or so games, Duke went through an easier stretch of their schedule imo.
St. Johns - pretty awful defense. 81 pts to Kenpom #119 offense.

@UNC - Defense was again not impressive - no need to explain much further as there was much discussion on here about it

@GT - offense is very poor (#201 kenpom). Held them to 69 which is average defense.

VT - defense was great. VT has a very good offense (#21.. Not sure how that's "right behind Duke's though lmao) but lives and dies by the three... They're great at home - I'll be interested to see Duke's defense at VT

Clemson - Good defense. Clemson without Grantham and Mitchell hurts them offensively, especially the trey ball. Figured it would be low scoring since Duke is without Bagley as well.

Overall, like I said, the defense has improved but that's also due to facing weaker offenses. UNC and VT have good offenses but not impressed by what Clemson, St. Johns, or GT do. Defensive efficiency typically increases against those teams. Duke also tends to play better at home and 3 home games seems to have helped.
An opposing fan cannot go over to thr and have a friendly conversation about basketball.....not happening.

Do you mean by the start of the tourney? I thought that I read that no team has every won the title that wasn't in top 10 defense?

All of the NCAA Champs since KenPom has been keep track has a top 20 offense and defense. That would be top 20 after the tournament ended.

Reactions: Mpm277
Now----a top 20 offense or defense doesn't guarantee a national championship, but your odds certainly increase if you do have both a top 20 offense and defense.

IIRC, Purdue and Michigan State are the only two teams with a top 20 offense and defense. Only one can win it all. Get it.

Edit: Gonzaga is also top 20 in both offense and defense.

Last edited:
Now----a top 20 offense or defense doesn't guarantee a national championship, but your odds certainly increase if you do have both a top 20 offense and defense.

IIRC, Purdue and Michigan State are the only two teams with a top 20 offense and defense. Only one can win it all. Get it.

What?!? It doesnt :(

Another article talking about the changing composition of the best teams:

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ness-contenders-statistics-chandler-hutchison

"Only the Shabazz Napier-led 2014 UConn team that made its run as a No. 7 seed and ranked 57th in pre-tourney offense emerged from among those tallies to win it all. But two more might as well have been: that ‘09 North Carolina team and Duke three years ago, both of which ranked 37th on defense."

Reactions: PHXDukie
Gonzaga is also in the top 20 in both metrics. I like the Zags, but I can't see them going any further than the Elite 8 this year.

I think there's only 6 legitimate contenders in my mind: Villanova, Michigan State, Purdue, Arizona, Virginia, Duke... I probably won't be picking Arizona, though, because their defense has been a bit shaky, too. But their roster is certainly full of talent.

Reactions: Quavarius
Gonzaga is also in the top 20 in both metrics. I like the Zags, but I can't see them going any further than the Elite 8 this year.

I think there's only 6 legitimate contenders in my mind: Villanova, Michigan State, Purdue, Arizona, Virginia, Duke... I probably won't be picking Arizona, though, because their defense has been a bit shaky, too. But their roster is certainly full of talent.

96th in defensive efficiency. You can probably just remove them from your list.

Reactions: PHXDukie
96th in defensive efficiency. You can probably just remove them from your list.

You're probably right. Sean Miller has even said this is probably the worst defensive team he's ever coached. I just look at their offensive firepower and think, well even with their limitations, they still won't be an easy out in the tournament. I think they're good enough to win multiple games if they don't completely stink it up on the defensive end.

Reactions: sgrooms
Yeah since I commented like 5x on their board I must be a UNC fan you're right lmao
For me it was easier to like UNC fans when you're a current Duke student, because I was over in Chapel Hill all the time enjoying the fruits of their campus and town. Now that I'm just a guy living in NC, it's a bit harder to fraternize with the yokels.

I'm just messing idk whatbhe evem put on thr

Commented on a thread asking if Tatum would've started over Justin Jackson last year at UNC and I said no. Also commented on Guru Gary saying Berry had 3 assists vs NC State, even though he was credited with 0 in the box score lmao

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT