ADVERTISEMENT

Top 50 Defense on Kenpom!

And this is what happens when you settle on a defense and focus. I hope they still work on the man-to-man. At some point a team will eat us up from 3 and we will have to go man

42 spots better than we were after the St. John’s game. That’s an entire Arkansas (no. 42) better than just a few weeks ago.

This isn't meant to be a negative comment, but if it can jump as much as it has in like 3 games, how accurate of a stat is it? It seems like it could be a little misleading? Can you really improve that much in a couple weeks? I don't believe it is because we played weak opponents. Va tech, Clemson, and Louisville are not scrubs

I’m not a poster that thinks we’re better without Bagley, but I’m not so sure that we keep up what we’re doing defensively right when we bring him back into the lineup. Javin is extremely mobile defensively, a GREAT communicator, and is one guy in the current starting lineup that we know is naturally a defensive-minded player. This isn’t supposed to be looked at as a negative against Bagley, but more so as a positive for Javin. Perhaps us sticking with one defensive scheme will help Marvin over the rest of the season though.

I’m not a poster that thinks we’re better without Bagley, but I’m not so sure that we keep up what we’re doing defensively right when we bring him back into the lineup. Javin is extremely mobile defensively, a GREAT communicator, and is one guy in the current starting lineup that we know is naturally a defensive-minded player. This isn’t supposed to be looked at as a negative against Bagley, but more so as a positive for Javin. Perhaps us sticking with one defensive scheme will help Marvin over the rest of the season though.

That's what I say. All of that switching defenses every few possessions can cause confusion. Now he's learning everyday what to do in the zone

What’s the statistic regarding offensive and defensive rank of teams that won the championship? Is it that the teams that won the championship were ranked in the top 20 in both offense and defense or ranked in the top 30 in both offense and defense?

What’s the statistic regarding offensive and defensive rank of teams that won the championship? Is it that the teams that won the championship were ranked in the top 20 in both offense and defense or ranked in the top 30 in both offense and defense?

I found this in the Internet, so it has to be true! It said these were the offensive and defensive efficiencies of the last 10 National champions with the exception of both of Uconns two titles. I believe the article was from 2015 if I'm not mistaken:
Offensive efficiency- top 8
Defensive efficiency- top 21
It also went on to say that one stat coaches always stress is defensive rebounding, and that 8 of the last 10 champions barely met the division 1 average. It said that offensive rebounding is a entirely different matter and that every champion in that time frame ranked in the top 35 in that stat. Does all that mean we have to meet all of those stats to win it all? I don't know. The only thing I know for sure is score more points than your opponent, no matter how you do it.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
This isn't meant to be a negative comment, but if it can jump as much as it has in like 3 games, how accurate of a stat is it? It seems like it could be a little misleading? Can you really improve that much in a couple weeks? I don't believe it is because we played weak opponents. Va tech, Clemson, and Louisville are not scrubs
Dukedevilz explained it well earlier in this thread. The better teams we face (and do well against) the more the number can jump.

Well, that ticket dude said it’s because we were playing weaker teams in clemson and va tech. You know, those two teams they lost to in a span of a week.

And this is what happens when you settle on a defense and focus. I hope they still work on the man-to-man. At some point a team will eat us up from 3 and we will have to go man

It's a small sample size but since UNC, I believe is when K made the switch to all zone, the zone has been better against the three than when we were part time man to man:

GT - 7-27 - 26%
VT - 7-20 - 35%
Clemson - 5-20 - 25%
Louisville - 5-20 - 25%

On the season our opposing 3 pt % has been 33.5%, so since making the switch we've been trending the right way in three point defense. When I watch it seems we play a real high zone, Bilas referenced we were leaving the corners open last night but Louisville wasn't capatilizing but I think (as Bilas also mentioned) that was due to Louisville starting their offense too high up and Duke just adjusting to their positioning.

We look to stretch out the zone, covering the three, and if teams get it inside we're relying on our plethora of long bigs to recover and challenge all inside shots. Louisville had some nice interior passing a few times last night, as have other teams during this run, but many have ended up missing close ones due to our bigs recovering and giving really hard challenges to those inside shots. I'm feeling good about the zone moving forward, and actually even better when Bagley returns, as it just helps in this strategy by adding even more length to the backside of the zone.

Obviously a team could get hot, but I also feel like we've seen a lot less wide open looks from three since the zone. The defensive breakdowns and lack of rotation aren't there, and even the threes that are being made have had a good challenge on them.

Reactions: jwill133
Looks like defenses across the board in college basketball have gotten worse over the last month... while simultaneously we've been improving. On January 9th, I noted that our defensive efficiency ranking was 108th at 100.4 points per 100 possessions. Currently, Xavier is 70th in the nation at 100.4. Had our defense stayed exactly the same, our overall ranking would have jumped up 38 spots. And yes, keeping 3 quality opponents under 60 points was certainly crucial for the huge upswing.

... Well, now that our defense is ranked ahead of UNC, I think we might actually be national title contenders :)

Well, that ticket dude said it’s because we were playing weaker teams in clemson and va tech. You know, those two teams they lost to in a span of a week.

If unc lost to them, does that make them two of the top 50 teams of all time?

Man the rise this team has made on D is amazing!

Sorry this was before the Cuse game

After the Cuse game... amazing considering where we were at the beginning of conference play.

#17 it says. Why haven't we passed UVA and Nova on kenpom? 2 and 17 they are 36 and 1 and 1 and 33

Here’s a look at the RPI top 15

#17 it says. Why haven't we passed UVA and Nova on kenpom? 2 and 17 they are 36 and 1 and 1 and 33

I’m actually a little surprised nova is 1 in offense... but man they can put up points too.. but they give points up!

Reactions: pisgah101
Yes, RPI and kenpom are different ratings. This is probably an oversimplification but RPI I believe is really just about wins and losses versus strength of schedule while kenpom takes margins of victory and offense and defense into account. Villanova is only about a point above us in the kenpom number and I’d have to guess it’s because they have 4 losses to our 5 and maybe nothing as bad as St Johns.

Yes, RPI and kenpom are different ratings. This is probably an oversimplification but RPI I believe is really just about wins and losses versus strength of schedule while kenpom takes margins of victory and offense and defense into account. Villanova is only about a point above us in the kenpom number and I’d have to guess it’s because they have 4 losses to our 5 and maybe nothing as bad as St Johns.
Villanova lost to St. Johns after us lol. But I get the more losses thing.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
Villanova lost to St. Johns after us lol. But I get the more losses thing.
Haha right, I didn’t even think about that was just thinking of what I would assume was our lowest kenpom loss. But I would also assume that their ranking went way up between beating us and then playing Nova the next game so probably still a worse loss for us.

Last edited:
I must admit to preferring to win a game 60 - 44 than a game 88 - 72. Even when we can't hit a 3 to save our life, we still win comfortably. Not more than a few weeks ago, shooting like this and we would have lost.

It's funny, I was pretty critical of the staff in early Jan 2015, and that turned out ok. I'm hoping the same thing happens this year.

The thing I like about our zone(in addition to its vast improvement of course) is its flexibility. It starts as a 2-3 and morphs almost into a 3-2 at times. One of the back corner men will pull out and challenge the wing man with the ball.

Now that becomes a gamble of course as it opens up a potential baseline corner shot. However for the most part communication appears much better, and we dont seemed to get burned by it too often.Javin is really effective w/his quickness coming out on the wing, as is Jack White.

On a personal note I really enjoy watching Jack play. Watch how he communicates out there with the teammates. Wont surprise me if that young man coaches someday!

OFC

The zone has been working really well over the past few weeks. Cuse went to a final four 2016 playing zone when their team wasn’t that great. It’s kinda like Virginia pack line defense.

Javin, White, Bolden and Carter Jr don’t have the lateral quickness to guard on the perimeter but have the length and athleticism to eat rebounds and alter shots in the paint.

Tent, Allen have good length on the perimeter and communicate well but can’t guard guicker guards in a man to man setting. Duval has tremendous length for his size.

Most college teams don’t have a plethora of great three point shooters more one than one max two or a stud point guard that can penetrate the zone at will.

well its great to see the team playing better D. No doubt the zone has really helped settle the team down. It seems to settle them on the offensive side to - if that is possible.

the real "hole" in our zone appears to be the mid range area - but thats a tough shot that not a lot of teams exploit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT