ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds Like Baldwin Playing for His Dad at UWM

Not for nothing, almost every team up till 2010 had veterans. The good ones and the bad ones.
Additionally, a lot of the veteran teams who won it all got very lucky with guys returning who could have left.
As for our 1 and done "disappointment" squads... The Bagley, Carter, Duval, Trent team was he tiniest smidgen from going to the final 4, the last shot was excruciatingly missed by a 4 yr vet, and that same vet's inconsistency was the biggest disappointment of that team and season. The Giles, Tatum, Jackson team was one of our most injured teams of all time. Giles, aside from a fleeting few moments, never performed like a 5 star, no less a 1 and done, and certainly not like the # 1 player in his class. Injuries before Duke and who knows what during his one year derailed his season. Tatum, Jackson, Bolden, Delaurier all injured during the year. That team was 1st ever to win 4 in a row to claim ACC Tourney title. Zion's team. Zion, Tre, Cam all hurt during the year. Cam probably limited all year. That team was 5-1 vs the teams in the FF. That team missed the FF by 1 posession. If MSU isn't allowed to intentionally foul Zion throughout the game, we are in the FF.
I want vets as much as anyone. Problem is, it is almost impossible to recruit guys good enough to win a title who will stick around long enough to do so.

That’s selective revisionist history. You can praise him for that now, but my guess is that when he was here many posters weren’t as fond of him as they are now for ‘graduating’....

Ultimately, whether we care to admit it or not, we’re more concerned about winning. We can say otherwise, but our actions over the years suggest otherwise.

I liked Greg and am thankful he played at Duke and had a nice career, but let’s not pretend that because he graduated and was here for four years we applauded him at the time. Few did.
That is pure BS. You have totally missed the point. He was brotherhood because he played and worked hard. Whether Duke fans loved his game or not does not affect the fact that he earned the right to be considered a brother. The facts that he stayed and graduated had nothing to do with him being in the brotherhood, but are simply additional evidence that he is, and always will be, one of us. To accuse another poster of "selective revisionist history" qualifies you as a garden variety pedant. OFC

Reactions: christophero
That is pure BS. You have totally missed the point. He was brotherhood because he played and worked hard. Whether Duke fans loved his game or not does not affect the fact that he earned the right to be considered a brother. The facts that he stayed and graduated had nothing to do with him being in the brotherhood, but are simply additional evidence that he is, and always will be, one of us. To accuse another poster of "selective revisionist history" qualifies you as a garden variety pedant. OFC

It’s not B.S. And I haven’t missed the point.

My memory of Paulus was that his first few years were good, and then it kind of went downhill. I still liked him though. I wouldn't say he was Avery good though. I've been watching some 99 games and Avery was really good. Still, he always gave it his all and I respected him.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Did i just hear Paulus was as good as Avery? Bless Paulus but other than having a decent shot he was a liability at the point. Couldnt beat anyone off the dribble and couldnt defend.

Did i just hear Paulus was as good as Avery? Bless Paulus but other than having a decent shot he was a liability at the point. Couldnt beat anyone off the dribble and couldnt defend.
That’s what I thought when I read it too, but in context, I think it said a very good and was autocorrected to Avery good.

There were a lot of credible rumors after Paulus graduated about how much of a dick he was to recruits on their visits - telling them they weren't good enough to play at Duke, intentionally leaving them out of pick-up games or refusing to give them the ball in said games. And not in a "building toughness" way, in an insecure way. I'm too lazy to scrounge up links, but I've seen it multiple places. That has become one of the knocks on him - though all the guys who comprised the 2010 championship team were recruited in that window of time.

He scored over a thousand points and had around four hundred assists.He was Avery good but not great player whose biggest failing was that he could not guard athletic point guards
I don't recall much competition for playing time in his early years. Started only a handful of games as a senior. Career FG% of 41.5% (two years under 40%). Career assist-turnover ratio of only 1.5. Good 3-point shooter (over 40% soph & jr years).

I’ll take my chances with an experienced team. The four championships prior to 2015, were won by experienced teams. Even in 2015 . If it wasn’t for Amile’s defense on Frank when Jah went out that game might not have the same out come, or Quinn’s scoring and leadership or Matt Jones defense and shooting . So yes while talent is good you still need a supporting cast with upperclassmen leadersh

The freshmen scored 60 of the 68 points in the title game.

The four championships you speak of were won pre-OAD. You seem to forget Grayson Allen’s scoring and Tyus Jones’ huge 3 to clinch the title in your praise for our upperclassmen in that game. What year was they again?
What ppl really seem to forget is our freshmen scored all but 4 points that game

Reactions: Quavarius
I don't think Paulus sucked....his numbers would suggest otherwise. He was a victim of probably being rated a little high coming out of high school.

It's true that he wasn't the most likable guy to his teammates. Is that solely on Paulus? Probably not, but it wasn't just chatter, either. Like him or not, Greg always gave optimum effort....he just had some shortcomings. I don't think anyone can question his heart, though.

Reactions: topps coach
I don't think Paulus sucked....his numbers would suggest otherwise. He was a victim of probably being rated a little high coming out of high school.

It's true that he wasn't the most likable guy to his teammates. Is that solely on Paulus? Probably not, but it wasn't just chatter, either. Like him or not, Greg always gave optimum effort....he just had some shortcomings. I don't think anyone can question his heart, though.
Greg couldn't defend his position at this level.

Reactions: KDSTONE
There were a lot of credible rumors after Paulus graduated about how much of a dick he was to recruits on their visits - telling them they weren't good enough to play at Duke, intentionally leaving them out of pick-up games or refusing to give them the ball in said games. And not in a "building toughness" way, in an insecure way. I'm too lazy to scrounge up links, but I've seen it multiple places. That has become one of the knocks on him - though all the guys who comprised the 2010 championship team were recruited in that window of time.

I knew I wasn’t remembering wrong and if true, that’s worst than anything a OAD player or transfer has ever done to the Duke program. Isnt it ironic that during Paulus’ years at Duke we never made it past the Sweet 16 and won it all the following year he graduated? I don’t want THAT type of player around the program. I’d rather he leave and go somewhere else where he’s comfortable instead of discouraging recruits from coming to Duke, while most of the transfers have left saying great things about their teammates and Duke. Hell, the OAD players most fans hate still wear their Duke gear while in the NBA, while Paulus told Kennard not to come to Duke. Just salty, man.

I knew I wasn’t remembering wrong and if true, that’s worst than anything a OAD player or transfer has ever done to the Duke program. Isnt it ironic that during Paulus’ years at Duke we never made it past the Sweet 16 and won it all the following year he graduated? I don’t want THAT type of player around the program. I’d rather he leave and go somewhere else where he’s comfortable instead of discouraging recruits from coming to Duke, while most of the transfers have left saying great things about their teammates and Duke. Hell, the OAD players most fans hate still wear their Duke gear while in the NBA, while Paulus told Kennard not to come to Duke. Just salty, man.i tend

I tend to agree. I appreciate Greg's time here. I personally wasn't the biggest fan. That said, he graduated and I applaud him for finishing his degree here. You're right though. The majority of our one and done players have been better at representing the university/brotherhood. The best part of them are all over social media hyping Duke up during the season. You don't see Greg doing that.

I tend to agree. I appreciate Greg's time here. I personally wasn't the biggest fan. That said, he graduated and I applaud him for finishing his degree here. You're right though. The majority of our one and done players have been better at representing the university/brotherhood. The best part of them are all over social media hyping Duke up during the season. You don't see Greg doing that.
At all. You would think the OAD players would be the ones never mentioning Duke or never coming back to Duke (attending games) or praising new recruits on social media. They do everything a four year player *normally* does and Greg, a four year player, does none of that and yet only one group is HATED and ATTACKED.

Wasn't a a huge fan of Greg, but I can't blame him for that. Considering he's been in coaching since 2010 and working for other schools, I doubt the programs he's worked for would be ok with him propping up another school....

Wasn't a a huge fan of Greg, but I can't blame him for that. Considering he's been in coaching since 2010 and working for other schools, I doubt the programs he's worked for would be ok with him propping up another school....
Difference between propping up and slander. Didn't have to denigrate the school to recruit. I'm guessing he was simply very salty about the fact that in his senior season he was basically passed over. He only started a few games and his scoring output dropped by more than half.

I don't know how it turned to a Paulus referendum, again, but I felt that Coach K stuck with him for a long time at Nolan's expense. I also vividly recall Paulus looking off of certain players and always passing to McRoberts instead of other open teammates. He did have a big game at UNX so there's that.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
I don't know how it turned to a Paulus referendum, again, but I felt that Coach K stuck with him for a long time at Nolan's expense. I also vividly recall Paulus looking off of certain players and always passing to McRoberts instead of other open teammates. He did have a big game at UNX so there's that.
that season Paulus sr year avg 16 mpg...down from 32, 32, and 28....Nolan was at 22 mpg up from 15.......and EWill was at 17 mpg

We can never stay on topic here. Probably something to do with the 13-11 season we just had. Ugh, those numbers were painful to even type.

At all. You would think the OAD players would be the ones never mentioning Duke or never coming back to Duke (attending games) or praising new recruits on social media. They do everything a four year player *normally* does and Greg, a four year player, does none of that and yet only one group is HATED and ATTACKED.
Give me Paulus over Jalen Johnson.

Difference between propping up and slander. Didn't have to denigrate the school to recruit. I'm guessing he was simply very salty about the fact that in his senior season he was basically passed over. He only started a few games and his scoring output dropped by more than half.

I'm referring to the poster mentioning Paulus not representing the school after he left. They compared him to other players. There's a difference between a former player who's in the NBA doing it, versus a former player that's on the coaching staff of another school.

I'm referring to the poster mentioning Paulus not representing the school after he left. They compared him to other players. There's a difference between a former player who's in the NBA doing it, versus a former player that's on the coaching staff of another school.
But it’s ok while Paulus was at Ohio State to tell Luke Kennard not to come to Duke because he wouldn’t get any PT? This happened according to a poster here.

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT