ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds Like Baldwin Playing for His Dad at UWM

No but if they got two more and their vets starting flying out the door they might have pause. It's a balance is all I'm saying.
Luckily, they don’t coach the team as their coach has a decent record over the last 20 years

No one has implied it's about Baldwin personally. It is more about experience and the make up of a team. Since Steward and Brakefield and Goldwire and Hurt left we have added another freshman and will add another. With an experienced transfer. How much talent we have is not the only way I look at and enjoy a team. I just think we need more experience. I think Baldwin goes elsewhere anyways. Obviously if we get Baldwin I will cheer for him, I just think we need veteran transfers more due to our youth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
I in no way meant to imply that Baldwin would create chemistry issues. I think a shooter/floor spacer, especially one who can handle the ball and pass, makes everybody better. I'm greedy. I want Baldwin and everyone to stay and Blakes to sign as well.
THIS! I’m very greedy as well! Greed is good or whatever they used to say in the 80’s

Not really. Gonzaga will get all the hype but play on a week conference. They will probably go undefeated again and flame out on the tourney. No knock on Mark Few but that’s how they normally end their season
Can’t always play the against the little sisters of the poor

How about Baldwin, Blakes and a junior guard transfer? And no one leaves. :)
Depends on what junior guard tho? That’s the thing: we’re not going to get anyone in the transfer market that’s going to be willing to share or play less than talented freshmen and they know K (has in the past) shorten his bench. I’m sure if they were knocking down the door we would’ve taken one by now. But getting one just for the sake of getting one may not be ideal either. I just don’t know what ideal Junior transfer guard is out there that would fit into what Duke does/is doing for 2022.

I agree with this tweet. Cant wait for Duke vs. Gonzaga in Vegas (hopefully in front of a sell out crowd).

I was thinking like a guard version of Theo John. With better knees. Willing to play 10-15 minutes a game. The fact that John came here tells me there are guys willing to play a role. That surprised me; in a good way. Unless John knew Williams is leaving; which seems unlikely.

I expect Roach and Moore to be much improved next season. Roach will be like a bartender serving some of the finest bourbon . Hard to mess it up . Just pass the ball to AJ, Baldwin[hopefully], Banchero , Keels, Moore or Williams. There will be little pressure on Roach or Bates to score. Just get the ball down the floor and start the Duke scoring engine. Duke could have 6 guys who sometime during the year should score 20+ points .

If Roach is much improved that solves a lot of our issues. But it's not a sure thing. And he's got a freshman beside him in Keels. At least if Moore improves that will help us. But we are relying on a lot of ifs. (yes this past season has affected me). There is potential for upside, but our guards who were proven have left.

Who were those 3 seniors who played huge roles on our 2015 team?
Actually, we had 1 great senior in Quinn Cook and two really solid juniors in Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee. I think the basic point is still quite valid.

We also had Suliman(until he got kicked off late in the season) and a soph. Matt Jones. We did play better without Suliman.

Last edited:
Actually, we had 1 great senior in Quinn Cook and two really solid juniors in Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee. I think the basic point is still quite valid.
Not quite when the original statement was we had 3 seniors who played huge roles in our last championship.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
If Roach is much improved that solves a lot of our issues. But it's not a sure thing. And he's got a freshman beside him in Keels. At least if Moore improves that will help us. But we are relying on a lot of ifs. (yes this past season has affected me). There is potential for upside, but our guards who were proven have left.
Don’t let the past season affect you. That was an anomaly. Look what it took for us to have a season like that and we possibly [still] get into the tournament if it wasn’t for random Duke frat boys. I also think the sting of the PAST season will be an asset for this season. The NCAA Tournament isn’t a given and EVERYONE should be hungry. This was a once in a 25 year occurrence. Look at EVERYTHING that had to go wrong for Duke that yielded the season we just had. If only 10% of it happens, we’re prolly a 4-seed last season. We’re going to be fine, guys!

Reactions: christophero
I agree with this tweet. Cant wait for Duke vs. Gonzaga in Vegas (hopefully in front of a sell out crowd).
I'm not saying we're gonna win that game but, Holmgren is not gonna be the reason we lose. He's going to get eaten alive because they don't really have a lot dudes to match up Williams and Banchero. I personally don't understand why he is rated higher than Banchero either, he's frail and he's not so much more skilled than Banchero to make up for his (lack of) frame.

Reactions: Quavarius
why is Baldwin being look at as this chemistry killer? He's a spot up shooter at his best. That's like calling Klay bad for chemistry. They don't need to dribble the ball to be effective so there's no way they affect chemistry
And we need all the shooting we can get.

I was a Chet doubter until I saw a few games against good competition. He's been proving people wrong all year. He's got crazy length and desire. That said I'd rather have Banchero. They both have the potantial to average around 20 imo.

I'm not saying we're gonna win that game but, Holmgren is not gonna be the reason we lose. He's going to get eaten alive because they don't really have a lot dudes to match up Williams and Banchero. I personally don't understand why he is rated higher than Banchero either, he's frail and he's not so much more skilled than Banchero to make up for his (lack of) frame.
I’ll say it... We are going to win the game and it will be our “Duke is Back” moment

It's crazy how much better the team was without Sulaimon. Seemed once he left everyone had a singular role and executed almost flawlessly the rest of the year.
One of the best moves K ever made, you guys don’t win it in 2015 if he’s still on the roster, he was a chemistry killer.

A course they are recruiting him . Wouldn’t you all? Doesn’t mean 40/0, national championship. Nope.
Simply means surrounding yourself with talent that looks good your one year in college. No team since 2015 has rode freshman to a championship. The difference their was Amile Jefferson, Marshal Plumlee , Matt Jones, Quinn Cook and Grayson Allen. All except Grayson were upperclassmen.

A course they are recruiting him . Wouldn’t you all? Doesn’t mean 40/0, national championship. Nope.
Simply means surrounding yourself with talent that looks good your one year in college. No team since 2015 has rode freshman to a championship. The difference their was Amile Jefferson, Marshal Plumlee , Matt Jones and Grayson Allen. All except Grayson were upperclassmen.
Who is saying 40-0? Who is saying National Championship? There isn’t ONLY one way to win a championship because if it was about experience, Duke would have won several championships from 2002-2011. After seeing experienced Duke teams struggle to get past the Sweet 16 (remember that knock on us), I’ll take my chances on talent.

I think it's because of his potential, and recruiting websites hate the idea of a guy becoming an NBA all star and looking back and seeing the guy wasn't highly rated. Holmgren will be good, but I don't think he will be close to Paolo next year.

I love how Quavarius brings up the years Duke struggled to make his argument. Most sensible Duke fans love talent, even OAD talent. After what we’ve seen the last few seasons, it’s understandable why many are skeptical of bringing in 3 or 4 OAD’s. But, and it’s been proven, talent only takes you so far, especially if you lack chemistry. The best example of that is the 17-18 team. Loaded with talent, but too many chefs and not enough dishwashers.
We had the perfect blend in 15, especially after Sulaimon was booted off. But, that team only came into the season with 1 expected OAD, and the best thing about Okafor may have been how unselfish he was.

I would rather have younger talent and have Coach K mold them into an unselfish team than have less talented upperclassmen and have Coach try to make them into a talented team.

Roach's improvement, or, lack thereof, is so huge for next year. If he plays like a legit 2nd year 5 star recruit we are super scary. If he makes little or no progress, we have some serious questions to answer.
The second scenario is another reason, maybe the main reason, I want Baldwin. If Roach disappoints, we could go without a point guard. Pressing us wouldn't be as big a threat because we have multiple forwards who are excellent passers, good ball handlers, and can see over the press. In the half court, we would still have a couple of guys who can take people off the dribble, good perimeter shooting, multiple good high post options, multiple guys with good midrange games, and dominating Low post play. On D, we could go zone with crazy length and really good athleticism.

Reactions: christophero
Off topic but watching more Chet H. clips. This kid is like a 7-1 Dunleavey. He's gonna cause problems next year. We have the frontcourt to handle him. I see why scouts said he could have gone first this year.

Off topic but watching more Chet H. clips. This kid is like a 7-1 Dunleavey. He's gonna cause problems next year. We have the frontcourt to handle him. I see why scouts said he could have gone first this year.
We must be watching different clips. The most unimpressive supposed OaD I've ever seen. This kid is going to get killed in college, forget the NBA. Yes he can shoot for a big dude but I'm not seeing much that is gonna translate him into a good college player. Maybe I'm dead wrong but I don't think I am.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT