ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds Like Baldwin Playing for His Dad at UWM

I certainly don’t want Moore to leave and Baker is my favorite player on the team. That being said ,as a fan ,I also don’t want to count on their 3 point production next year. Baldwin reminds me of a less physical Tatum with a better outside shot.For 2 years I have wanted to see him play for Duke. He along w AJ, Banchero and Williams will be first round picks next year. I would hope they would be willing to sacrifice and play less minutes with a loaded roster. We would then return Moore, Roach, Keels , Baker and Coleman for 2022.

Seems like we debate this every year.
Keels is a likely OAD but I otherwise agree. I also think Roach leaves if he has a good year. Moore too. Those last two could go either way though.

Reactions: sheyduke
I don’t think Keels is a guaranteed starter. I’m not sure he starts even without getting Baldwin. Roach, Moore, Griffin, Banchero, Williams with Keels first off the bench would be my guess. If we get Baldwin, Moore or Roach probably come off the bench.
If Keels waited to make sure Steward was gone before committing I’m pretty sure he has all intentions of working to get the starting Sg spot.

I get both sides here. I want Baldwin for the upside and better shot at a title. I also dont want to lose guys, whether they are fan favorites (Joey, Goldwire) or because we are losing 4 year building blocks (Coleman).
The problem with both is accurately predicting the future. Baldwin is great until he chases off Coleman, is a liability on D, isn't physically ready for high end competition, etc. Then again, his elite shooting could prevent an 18-19 disappointment and or allow for an injury to Paolo, AJ, or Mark from being disastrous.
As for the "building" blocks, DJ, Brakefield, and Goldwire say high. In many ways, DJ had no business leaving. In a "normal" world, he is a 3/4 year guy. Brakefield got good minutes, was relatively successful as a non star recruit, and looked like he loved being at Duke. He would have gotten 20 minutes a game this year, and was set up to be a starter or 30ish min a game reserve years 3 and 4. He was that building block who left anyway. Goldwire came in as a "scholarshipped" walk on. Got way more minutes than anyone imagined, and left. I don't begrudge any of them for leaving.
My point is, with the transfer rules as they are and kids leaving who are projected to go undrafted there is just too much dumb luck involved no matter what the staff does.

I get both sides here. I want Baldwin for the upside and better shot at a title. I also dont want to lose guys, whether they are fan favorites (Joey, Goldwire) or because we are losing 4 year building blocks (Coleman).
The problem with both is accurately predicting the future. Baldwin is great until he chases off Coleman, is a liability on D, isn't physically ready for high end competition, etc. Then again, his elite shooting could prevent an 18-19 disappointment and or allow for an injury to Paolo, AJ, or Mark from being disastrous.
As for the "building" blocks, DJ, Brakefield, and Goldwire say high. In many ways, DJ had no business leaving. In a "normal" world, he is a 3/4 year guy. Brakefield got good minutes, was relatively successful as a non star recruit, and looked like he loved being at Duke. He would have gotten 20 minutes a game this year, and was set up to be a starter or 30ish min a game reserve years 3 and 4. He was that building block who left anyway. Goldwire came in as a "scholarshipped" walk on. Got way more minutes than anyone imagined, and left. I don't begrudge any of them for leaving.
My point is, with the transfer rules as they are and kids leaving who are projected to go undrafted there is just too much dumb luck involved no matter what the staff does.

That is a great post. It is more difficult to predict what a team will look like from one here to the next than it has ever been, by a significant margin. That is especially true at a school that recruits at the level Duke does. And I do think Duke is trying to be annually competitive while looking at the big picture as well, and that is very hard to do.

I think you have to weigh Baldwin coming against several things. One; we are already loaded. I will concede that we could use his shooting. Also you could lose guys like Moore, Baker or Coleman. This effects next year too. Sure, those guys could leave anyway but if we get Baldwin the likelihood of at least one leaving goes way up. Plus I don't like seeing an entirely new roster every year. We need to hold on to our upperclassmen. I would be excited in a way if we got Baldwin (obviously he's good) but not if we lose 2 more guys to transfer. I just don't think we need him. If we lost Williams or someone to the G League then that would change things.

Last edited:
I hope I am wrong but I do not think Coach K will coach more than 2-3 more years. If that is true I think next year will most certainly be his best chance for a 6th title. Load up on the talent if Baldwin decides to commit. Play 7 guys 26-27 minutes and 2-3 guys the rest. In all likelihood there will be injuries so depth will be important.

If he commits you can't turn a guy like him down. So it's really up to him at this point. I just hope guys stay if he comes. it's nothing personal against Baldwin, he sounds like a great kid and great player. But the roster seems pretty crowded now, unless the staff know something we don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
I hope we make a final four soon. Hopefully in 10 years we aren't still talking about Grayson's shot rimming out.

Reactions: YNWA196
People are really saying they wouldn’t want a top 5 player because they are scared that a non starter will transfer 😂😂😂
Every since Marvin Bagley came, they’ve completely lost their minds. Luckily, K isn’t listening to them. But it’s crazy, the same fans who were wanting the talent that went to UNC, UK, KU, and Arizona when we couldn’t make it past the Sweet 16 with experienced players are now saying we shouldn’t take too much talent because [dumb reason(s)]. It’s simple: you take the best available talent or your rivals will and put their nuts in your face like Danny Green did Greg Paulus!

Wouldn't have needed if someone didnt leave a guy wide open for a 3 when every Duke fan in the universe was screaming no 3, anything but a 3 and every non Duke fan in the universe was begging for a 3.

Reactions: Duke1783
Duval iirc correctly almost got a steal that we would have been raving about...the KU kid hit a big shot after that.....im still mad about Scottie freaking Thurman!!!!

That was a ridiculous rainbow that was well defended by Tony Lang, who was about 6'8". Kudos to Thurman, but I totally agree.

You take Baldwin. It’s simple. Williams will not leave as a result of Baldwin snd I doubt Baker or Coleman will as their roles are already small with it without Baldwin next year. Maybe Moore but I think he’s bought in. And Keels is actively RECRUITING Baldwin with AJ snd Bachero. The biggest issue is buy in from the starters to play 25-28 minutes a game as opposed to 32 (in my opinion) if they are on board with that, we’re good. Doesn’t mean Baldwin is coming but you take the 6’9” shooter any day.

Every since Marvin Bagley came, they’ve completely lost their minds. Luckily, K isn’t listening to them. But it’s crazy, the same fans who were wanting the talent that went to UNC, UK, KU, and Arizona when we couldn’t make it past the Sweet 16 with experienced players are now saying we shouldn’t take too much talent because [dumb reason(s)]. It’s simple: you take the best available talent or your rivals will and put their nuts in your face like Danny Green did Greg Paulus!
Damn why you gotta bring that up lol

Reactions: Quavarius
I’m not one of those fans. You can check any post I’ve ever made. Yeah go ahead load up on talent and no I don’t think much to high school rankings. I’ve always been one to wait until players play an actual college game. Imo, it don’t matter if Baldwin comes. Last year showed every fan what happens when players don’t buy in to playing as a unit. Not enough talking on defense, errand passes, one player thinking he’s the entire team.
At least Greg attempted to take a charge . Nothing is granted. This team with Baldwin could win it all or go out first round. Same can be said with out Baldwin.
Food for thought if the kid knew where he was going why not commit? Why not announce ? He’d be the go to guy on Georgetown or for his dad. Not so much at Duke.
I do believe K steps down next season or the one after. It’s the reason no offers have gone out .

I’m not one of those fans. You can check any post I’ve ever made. Yeah go ahead load up on talent and no I don’t think much to high school rankings. I’ve always been one to wait until players play an actual college game. Imo, it don’t matter if Baldwin comes. Last year showed every fan what happens when players don’t buy in to playing as a unit. Not enough talking on defense, errand passes, one player thinking he’s the entire team.
At least Greg attempted to take a charge . Nothing is granted. This team with Baldwin could win it all or go out first round. Same can be said with out Baldwin.
Food for thought if the kid knew where he was going why not commit? Why not announce ? He’d be the go to guy on Georgetown or for his dad. Not so much at Duke.
I do believe K steps down next season or the one after. It’s the reason no offers have gone out .
Good of you to stick up for Greg, he’s far too much maligned on here.

I think the problem with adding Baldwin is we already have 3 one and dones. (Keels has the size to be a late first round pick) Chemistry matters. We are already talented. AJ plays the same position, as does Moore. Just look at us and Kentucky this year to see chemistry issues. I get the load up on talent argument; I just don't see why people don't see the alternative. Not every coach in America wants 4 freshman starters; no matter how good. For every Zion there is a Boston or Johnson who disappoint. And they require a lot of shots. It's not guaranteed. Of course so called multiyear guys like Steward and Brakefield can leave early too. Transfers bring experience so it's good we're getting more active there. I think we've taken steps to becoming a better defensive team so that's a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I wonder if Baldwin is considering the G league. Has he set a date for deciding?
Not that I know of. I don’t think future PT is a factor. He knows he will start wherever he goes and as far as I can tell he is an unselfish player. Pro Duke factors: Best chance to win NCAA title his 1 year in college. Be apart of what could be a college super team. Expand his brand name with the exposure of playing for Duke. Anti Duke factors: Playing for dad and maybe helping him keep his job. The one intangible that is hard to predict is the influence Jalen Johnson may have on the decision.

Last edited:
Not that I know of. I don’t think future PT is a factor. He knows he will start wherever he goes and as far as I can tell he is a unselfish player. Pro Duke factors: Best chance to win NCAA title his 1 year in college. Be apart of what could be a college super team. Expand his brand name with the exposure of playing for Duke. Anti Duke factors: Playing for dad and maybe helping him keep his job. The one intangible that is hard to predict is the influence Jalen Johnson may have on the decision.
Well put

If we are going to go for a super class, they have to get along like the 14-15 team. Tyus and Jah were very good friends for a while. Justise became tight with them before committing. Those guys really wanted to play together. I agree with not wanting Baldwin, or anyone, if it screws up chemistry. Same for transfers. A veteran transfer could screw up chemistry just as much as a one and done frosh.
If Baldwin picks Duke over his dad because he really, really wants to play with the guys we have and win a title, then it probably is a good idea to take him. Let's not forget, he is not only an extremely gifted shooter, passer, but a high IQ, disciplined coaches son.

Not that I know of. I don’t think future PT is a factor. He knows he will start wherever he goes and as far as I can tell he is an unselfish player. Pro Duke factors: Best chance to win NCAA title his 1 year in college. Be apart of what could be a college super team. Expand his brand name with the exposure of playing for Duke. Anti Duke factors: Playing for dad and maybe helping him keep his job. The one intangible that is hard to predict is the influence Jalen Johnson may have on the decision.
Or Brakefield. They are friends too and both him and Johnson are no longer on the team.

Holmgren to Gonzaga, eh? New OAD Capital of the US.
Not really. Gonzaga will get all the hype but play on a week conference. They will probably go undefeated again and flame out on the tourney. No knock on Mark Few but that’s how they normally end their season

I think the problem with adding Baldwin is we already have 3 one and dones. (Keels has the size to be a late first round pick) Chemistry matters. We are already talented. AJ plays the same position, as does Moore. Just look at us and Kentucky this year to see chemistry issues. I get the load up on talent argument; I just don't see why people don't see the alternative. Not every coach in America wants 4 freshman starters; no matter how good. For every Zion there is a Boston or Johnson who disappoint. And they require a lot of shots. It's not guaranteed. Of course so called multiyear guys like Steward and Brakefield can leave early too. Transfers bring experience so it's good we're getting more active there. I think we've taken steps to becoming a better defensive team so that's a good start.
The chemistry can be off without Baldwin. Unless there's reports of him being a bad teammate I don't know why adding him brings potential chemsitry problems. He's a floor spacer that doesn't need to always the ball to be effective. We had 4 freshmen Zion year and we didn't have chemistry problems. We had system problems by not chemistry

Reactions: bullettoothtony
If we are going to go for a super class, they have to get along like the 14-15 team. Tyus and Jah were very good friends for a while. Justise became tight with them before committing. Those guys really wanted to play together. I agree with not wanting Baldwin, or anyone, if it screws up chemistry. Same for transfers. A veteran transfer could screw up chemistry just as much as a one and done frosh.
If Baldwin picks Duke over his dad because he really, really wants to play with the guys we have and win a title, then it probably is a good idea to take him. Let's not forget, he is not only an extremely gifted shooter, passer, but a high IQ, disciplined coaches son.
why is Baldwin being look at as this chemistry killer? He's a spot up shooter at his best. That's like calling Klay bad for chemistry. They don't need to dribble the ball to be effective so there's no way they affect chemistry

Reactions: Quavarius
For me it's just personal preference. It's nothing against Baldwin. I just am not interested in watching a high school all star team. I'd rather see a mix and 4 one and dones tips the balance in the wrong direction. I don't believe any final four team this year had more than one one and done; so I don't see why this opinion is so perplexing. I'd rather add another transfer with experience.

Chet to Gonzaga. Skinny or not that kid can play. I thought he was going to the G league. Good month for Gonzaga. I know they lost but still made the final four. Zags now with 2 one and dones, and two top 5 guys.

Last edited:
For me it's just personal preference. It's nothing against Baldwin. I just am not interested in watching a high school all star team. I'd rather see a mix and 4 one and dones tips the balance in the wrong direction. I don't believe any final four team this year had more than one one and done; so I don't see why this opinion is so perplexing. I'd rather add another transfer with experience.
It’s really been since 2015 that no OAD team has made the final four. The past 6 years it’s been experienced TEAMS going and winning it all. Let’s also not forget that our 2015 team had 3 seniors who played huge roles.

Reactions: christophero
Exactly. The balance. We also lost our 2 most experienced guards (not counting Moore) so I want a guard transfer if we can get one. May not happen but it would be nice.

It’s really been since 2015 that no OAD team has made the final four. The past 6 years it’s been experienced TEAMS going and winning it all. Let’s also not forget that our 2015 team had 3 seniors who played huge roles.
Who were those 3 seniors who played huge roles on our 2015 team?

Chet to Gonzaga. Skinny or not that kid can play. I thought he was going to the G league. Good month for Gonzaga. I know they lost but still made the final four. Zags now with 2 one and dones, and two top 5 guys.
I’m sure Zags fans don’t want him, tho

• Haha
Reactions: christophero
No but if they got two more and their vets starting flying out the door they might have pause. It's a balance is all I'm saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT