ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA round of 32 official game day thread- Duke vs Tennessee

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
And just like that our bracket has parted like the Red Sea. Tennessee stands in our way of what should be a very comfortable path to the elite eight. While some of us are shaking in our boots some of us are looking at facts which are….

1. Tennessees starting point guard, second leading scorer, leader in assist and steals has not played since Feb 28th and will not play today

2. They were trending in the wrong direction even with him going 6-7 since Feb, we on the other hand are trending the other direction going 11-2 since Feb with the 2 Ls at the beginning of the month

3. History.. Rick Barnes is a great guy but only been to the sweet 16 or farther 7 times in 35 years.. and only 1 of those was in Knoxville. On top of that Tennessee has only been to the sweet 16 8 times total.

Game is scheduled for a 240 tip on CBS with duke being favored at writing by 3.5

If duke plays like they have been we have no reason to worry about tomorrow. Could Tennessee make it a game? Absolutely.. should they? No we have the defense to shut them off fully and they don’t have the capability to keep up with us if we are scoring.

Duke-74
Tennessee- 57

Duke. I never pick against Duke, but there's no way we win this going away. I expect a battle on Saturday afternoon. Some are undervaluing Tennessee, and the reality is this is a well-coached, tough team that can beat us. There are shades of 2017 and South Carolina here. I think we got a raw ass deal with the seeding. But it is what it is. I hope Flip gets his nerves together, and we get March Roach tomorrow. We need Proctor to be strong with the ball. We can't gift them turnovers. They rebound, defend and turn you over better than anyone in the country not named Houston. This is going to be a fistfight.

We come out aggressive on defense and smother them!! Duke by double didgits!!! GO DUKE!!!!

OFC

Duke. I never pick against Duke, but there's no way we win this going away. I expect a battle on Saturday afternoon. Some are undervaluing Tennessee, and the reality is this is a well-coached, tough team that can beat us. There are shades of 2017 and South Carolina here. I think we got a raw ass deal with the seeding. But it is what it is. I hope Flip gets his nerves together, and we get March Roach tomorrow. We need Proctor to be strong with the ball. We can't gift them turnovers. They rebound, defend and turn you over better than anyone in the country not named Houston. This is going to be a fistfight.

It’s not undervaluing it’s being confident in our team and what they have done over the past month and a half and knowing tenn lost the key part to their team. If I’m wrong I’m wrong, it’s a game but I’m not going to fret over a team that couldn’t make it to the second round of their conference tourney. If we can’t beat Tennessee we don’t deserve to go to the sweet 16 regardless of being under seeded.

Keep this train rolling. If we play the way we have been playing for the past 10 games I like us by double digits. Let's play lockdown defense, make a few threes, and see Flip shake off those jitters and have himself a game!

Duke 78
TN 63

It’s not undervaluing it’s being confident in our team and what they have done over the past month and a half and knowing tenn lost the key part to their team. If I’m wrong I’m wrong, it’s a game but I’m not going to fret over a team that couldn’t make it to the second round of their conference tourney. If we can’t beat Tennessee we don’t deserve to go to the sweet 16 regardless of being under-seeded.
I'm confident in our team, but I am realistic. People acting as if Tennessee is some pushover are being a bit short-sighted. Anything can happen in a one-game scenario. The metrics show an under-seeded Tennessee and Duke. Tennessee should be a 3 and Duke a 4. I think this would be a matchup we should see later in the tournament. If we beat the shit out of them, great! I want it to happen. But I can't ignore everything they do well and how they probably have added motivation of no one picking them too.

Last edited:
I kept waiting to hear what he had to say about the beat down we provided them but he never even acknowledged his pick again lol

You never will. He's a cheater u fan and prick. He's the the model cheater u fan just as hof coach roy williams and cackles davis are. He has always disrespected Duke. I'm surprised that Barkley didn't call him out on the ORU pick but I feel they know what a bias dumbass he is. OFC

Gonna be a tough game. The team shouldn't look ahead but I can. Purdue and Memphis lost which helps us (a lot) if we win today. Need Lively on the court for 25, need Whitehead to keep up his good play. Roach is playing like a senior and Proctor and Mitchell have been stat stuffers. Hopefully Flip is recovered.
Duke 68
Tenn. 64

I agree with Pisgah. Tennessee is on a downward trend. You lose your point guard and it affects your psyche. I watched most of their first tournament game and feel like they will really struggle offensively. If we just take care of the ball, we will win comfortably. After last night’s Purdue game everyone knows anything can happen. Jon will have our players ready.

You never will. He's a cheater u fan and prick. He's the the model cheater u fan just as hof coach roy williams and cackles davis are. He has always disrespected Duke. I'm surprised that Barkley didn't call him out on the ORU pick but I feel they know what a bias dumbass he is. OFC

I see he is not on the CBS panel today. Good.
OFC

KenPom has us losing 64-61 and getting picked against 75-25 on the ESPN matchup predictor. Vegas is betting on Duke—just a weird mix.

We should win. In a 7 game series we probably win 4 games to 2. But in a 1 game scenario you never know. Not allowing them to out physical us and not leave it close at the end. I'd like to see us get a 10 point lead and hang on. If you go into the last minute tied you are leaving things up to chance to a degree.

Just about to say the same thing Chris. In a one game series anything can happen. We can be cold and they can be hot. The refs may not like us and call fouls that are questionable (a la Lee Cassell) and we get in foul trouble. Throw stats out the window because I'm sure Arizona and Purdue's stats and rankings dominated their opponents.

I'm more nervous about this game than any other we've played all season. The stakes are high. The opponent is damn good. It's March and anything can happen.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
My college basketball scoreboard shows the NIT games mixed in. It's confusing. I was like "wow Baker is going to the sweet 16", then I see it's the NIT. Darn Michigan lost by 1 to Vandy after being up by 6. baker had 11 but was 3-10. baker is trying to get another year. I like Baker but don't like Howard.
San Diego State may be joining the Pac 12. They have a good program.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I'm more nervous about this game than any other we've played all season. The stakes are high. The opponent is damn good. It's March and anything can happen.
For me it's knowing that the opportunity we have going forward with both Purdue and Memphis losing. Hope the guys can come out and play relaxed and don't feel the pressure. Nothing should be more pressure than playing in the nose dome.

Just win baby win ! It’s about who brings it and I hope the chip is still on our players shoulder !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT