ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

If Blakes transfers I am quoting the 100 times Shey said Blakes isn't transferring into one monster multi quote. I hope he doesn't, but he was waaaaay out of the rotation the last half of the season. May depend on what Proctor or Roach does. Guys want to play. I really like Young and glad he's back. He disappointed down the stretch but he is still a decent back up.

Yeah Young is a solid backup that can give quality 15 minutes a game. If he's starting next year, we are in big trouble so hopefully Reeves takes a big step or we hit the portal. I know Sean Stewart is us up to 6'9 and he can play some small ball five.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I know there's about a one in gazillion chances of this happening but what if everyone decides to come back next year except Roach.. Lively, Whitehead, Procter, Flip, Young , Mitchell and everyone else including Blakes, Reeves and Schutt. Will we have enough scholly's . Thirteen right? Well I just listed thirteen. Two over. Would we have a couple of red shirts? If by chance this did happen who would have to red shirt or we looking at transfers or decommitts from class of '23. Really reaching but it wold benefit all of our freshman to stay another year. As of now none of them are high on any mock drafts. Yep it's a stupid post but just something that would be awesome or would it. Dke can't force anyone to declare. OFC
Makes me think of when Calipari used the platoon system a few years back to make sure all his high-level recruits got decent PT.

Think of the great scrimmage games. They could televise them.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
If Proctor was to come back, blakes is gone. JADEN is a weird guess because to he is the only traditional SG on the roster next year. McCain is 6'2 PG, Foster is a PG, Blakes is a PG. Proctor is a combo, but proved to be better with the ball in his hands, but I still think he's gone
McCain and foster are combo guards.

If Blakes transfers I am quoting the 100 times Shey said Blakes isn't transferring into one monster multi quote. I hope he doesn't, but he was waaaaay out of the rotation the last half of the season. May depend on what Proctor or Roach does. Guys want to play. I really like Young and glad he's back. He disappointed down the stretch but he is still a decent back up.
Young could start until the newcomers get their college legs and take it away from him. It wouldn't hurt to make them have to earn it.

Ditto for Blakes if Proctor leaves.

Mitchell should return for a year to polish his game.

Reactions: christophero
A month ago I would have said Lively needs to return to prove he has what the pros want. But I think he got there by the end of this season.

Do the pros need to see Whitehead have an injury-free season before spending a first round pick on him?

I am hearing rumblings of Flip wanting to come back but I don't think that's realistic. If you're a projected first rounder, you declare. End of story. Flip, Whitehead, and Lively are all projected first rounders. I think they're all 99%+ gone.

Proctor and Mitchell have not been on any mock draft boards I've seen lately. If Mitchell returns and either Roach or Proctor returns, I think we have to be happy with that. If Proctor and Roach both leave, we are going have a lot of struggles early in the season, I'd imagine.

Reactions: youngman42
I am hearing rumblings of Flip wanting to come back but I don't think that's realistic. If you're a projected first rounder, you declare. End of story. Flip, Whitehead, and Lively are all projected first rounders. I think they're all 99%+ gone.

Proctor and Mitchell have not been on any mock draft boards I've seen lately. If Mitchell returns and either Roach or Proctor returns, I think we have to be happy with that. If Proctor and Roach both leave, we are going have a lot of struggles early in the season, I'd imagine.
Didn't Zion want to come back as well even tho we all knew he was gone? 😂🤣

Lively gone
Dariq gone
Flip gone
Proctor gone
Mitchell 70% gone
Roach gone

I suspect Reeves moves on too, especially if Duke lands a quality big in the portal.
Thought you said Roach was returning?

If Blakes leaves I can see Schutt jumping ship first . Blakes knows his path as it was laid out for him. Schutt would leave first just because schools will want his shooting . Reeves won’t jump ship he was already supposed to red shirt and he even saw how bad Flip and Lively got pushed around .
If Blakes leaves then Duke has more problems then I thought because if you can’t keep a three star who saw his role increase then I don’t know who comes to Duke .

Proctor, Mitchell, Young Blakes Schutt and Reeves. That's a nice core. Catchings has another year too as a program guy. Maybe Jon can convince them to stay.

I am hearing rumblings of Flip wanting to come back but I don't think that's realistic. If you're a projected first rounder, you declare. End of story.

I am not willing to concede to this. Lottery? Ok. But merely just being in the first round, to me, does not warrant "you leave no matter what" territory.

I think plenty of guys have left long term, residual, real monetary value on the table by going to the NBA after one year, when they had the opportunity to return and create a brand for themselves at the college level.

How many guys have left and you don't even know who they are anymore, where they are, and are they truly set for life with what they were paid by just going 1st round, not even lottery? They are simply a footnote, even if they did stay in the NBA for a decent amount of time. They could have done that, AFTER cementing themselves as a legend in the college game. Past legends continue to be celebrated today, with commercials and documentaries.

Last edited:
It does make you wonder. Keels could have been a star this year, and gone in the first round. Kids talk about building their brand. Unless Keels breaks through, who is going to remember him? If these kids are as good as they think they are their stock will probably not tank in year 2. Maybe they just don't want to be students.

That has changed sadly, according to someone I know at Paul VI. I don’t pretend to have many contacts, lol, but that’s one I feel comfortable with.
I was joking . It sucks but I really think it’s the nature of the game .
Proctor could return and go high next year in a weak draft but doubt we see him stay either .

I was joking . It sucks but I really think it’s the nature of the game .
Proctor could return and go high next year in a weak draft but doubt we see him stay either .
I’m not convinced any of them are staying…..and that’s not pessimism….just what I expect with this group.

Reactions: sheyduke
I don’t see most of them as sure fire NBA talent yet. I don’t see Jalen Wilson sweating being first team All American as a JR and going in the lottery. Hope the G League suits them if they want to go.

I think Mitchell’s is 95% and Roach is probably 75% coming back.. Lively is 20-80 gone. Proctor is 40- coming back 60 gone. Whitehead is 99% gone. Flip is 75 25 gone. I don’t (expect) to get anybody back. Maybe Roach can come back and make a pitch to some of the guys to come back for 1 more year. Maybe this NiL sways a couple guys and we get surprised. With the recruits coming in though I don’t see it . I don’t think anybody’s draft stock can be hurt, but minute disparity would be wild. I don’t see it

I think/hope we end up pleasantly surprised this time. I do expect the vigil won't be nearly as long. Especially with the portal now being a factor, coaches need to know player's decisions as quickly as possible.

I think Mitchell’s is 95% and Roach is probably 75% coming back.. Lively is 20-80 gone. Proctor is 40- coming back 60 gone. Whitehead is 99% gone. Flip is 75 25 gone. I don’t (expect) to get anybody back. Maybe Roach can come back and make a pitch to some of the guys to come back for 1 more year. Maybe this NiL sways a couple guys and we get surprised. With the recruits coming in though I don’t see it . I don’t think anybody’s draft stock can be hurt, but minute disparity would be wild. I don’t see it
As to the recruits, that does make things a little more unclear for me. If our recruits were not just completely stacked at the PF position, I'd think Mitchell would be pretty likely to come back. I still think he's likely to come back, but it's the recruits that have me worried on the Mitchell front. We have three five-star PFs coming in next year. I don't think it's impossible that Mitchell could look at that group and wonder about his minutes and opportunities next season and at least think through what his other options are.

But god damn I would love it if Mitchell, Proctor, and Roach all return. Those guys went through it this season. I have to think they'd all be great leaders next year if given the opportunity.

I am not willing to concede to this. Lottery? Ok. But merely just being in the first round, to me, does not warrant "you leave no matter what" territory.

I think plenty of guys have left long term, residual, real monetary value on the table by going to the NBA after one year, when they had the opportunity to return and create a brand for themselves at the college level.

How many guys have left and you don't even know who they are anymore, where they are, and are they truly set for life with what they were paid by just going 1st round, not even lottery? They are simply a footnote, even if they did stay in the NBA for a decent amount of time. They could have done that, AFTER cementing themselves as a legend in the college game. Past legends continue to be celebrated today, with commercials and documentaries.
I hope you're right, but I just don't see it. Desmond Bane was the final pick in the first round in 2020. He earned $4m guaranteed across his first two years. I don't see too many 19 year olds turning down a dream of playing in the NBA and $4m guaranteed money to return to school so they can get up at 7:30 am on a Tuesday to attend Sociology 102.

I certainly admire the patience shown on this Board. The OP waited more than twelve hours after our exit to begin talking about who is leaving, etc.! Once some consensus is reached, hopefully soon, I can't wait for the riveting thread about how many minutes each player should get next year.
OFC

We lost. What else is there to talk about? I hope we get Mitchell and one of Proctor/Roach back. The guaranteed money is the first round. The first 10 picks of the second round has good success. After that you are rolling the dice. I enjoyed watching our young team grow, but those early losses cost us a good seed.

Last edited:
As to the recruits, that does make things a little more unclear for me. If our recruits were not just completely stacked at the PF position, I'd think Mitchell would be pretty likely to come back. I still think he's likely to come back, but it's the recruits that have me worried on the Mitchell front. We have three five-star PFs coming in next year. I don't think it's impossible that Mitchell could look at that group and wonder about his minutes and opportunities next season and at least think through what his other options are.

But god damn I would love it if Mitchell, Proctor, and Roach all return. Those guys went through it this season. I have to think they'd all be great leaders next year if given the opportunity.
The thing next year is two of the pf’s are hybrid 3/4’s and one can play the 4/5 if needed. Mitchell coming back allows him to be the multi positional defender and teams have to account for shooting next year . All Dukes incoming recruits with the exception of Stewart are reliable shooters .

Reactions: DukeJim99
Roach is gone, Lively is gone, and Whitehead is gone. The others are up in the air.

Whitehead says he is ready for the next chapter after the game. So thats one guy gone. Lively too, Van Gundy was raving about his defense and how it would translate to the NBA. The fact that Whitehead mentioned the next chapter after a loss rubs me the wrong way, but at least he was honest. At least wait a few days.

Last edited:
Whitehead says he is ready for the next chapter after the game. So thats one guy gone. Lively too, Van Gundy was raving about his defense and how it would translate to the NBA. The fact that Whitehead mentioned the next chapter after a loss rubs me the wrong way, but at least he was honest. At least wait a few days.
Whitehead never even had a chapter at Duke, that’s the funny part lol

I never really feel like I got to know Whitehead. As a person or a player. It was nice getting to know guys like Flip, Young and Lively. Roach seems like a good guy. I am going to miss Flip and Lively the most.

I’m not gonna bash any Duke players, whether they were here for 1 or 4 years. Whitehead clearly wasn’t the player we thought he would be. However, when he was coming off the bench, man were we scary. I actually credit him for accepting that role and excelling in it once healthy because a lot of top5 recruits would have went home.

I don’t know if we will ever know the true Mitchell story and why Jon didn’t know about it until 5 minutes before the game, but whitehead said it himself: it changed the way he needed to prepare for the game.

For the record: I don’t think we lost due to the Mitchell injury either. We got out manned. Yes Mitchell would have helped, and had we lost by a bucket or 2 than I think we could all point to that.

I never really feel like I got to know Whitehead. As a person or a player. It was nice getting to know guys like Flip, Young and Lively. Roach seems like a good guy. I am going to miss Flip and Lively the most.
The very few interviews I saw with him, Whitehead seemed like a really good guy. I wish him the best in the NBA. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with how soon he's starting and contributing on an NBA team.

The very few interviews I saw with him, Whitehead seemed like a really good guy. I wish him the best in the NBA. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with how soon he's starting and contributing on an NBA team.
He’s a ways off from starting for any nba team. A long way off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT