ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

Transfers like Young who have a few years of eligibility are good too. But the superclasses, it seems like no one wants to be the guy who came back. That could be changing for us. But I agree Mac it seems to be in the Duke culture to leave as soon as you can.

It’s only because of the Duke brand . But some kids are simply buying time in college until draft eligibility. Can’t blame any of them for that . They don’t make the draft rules .

NBA draft room has Flip at 44. Could he come back? They had Lively and Whitehead first round, no Mitchell or Proctor.
Flip lost a lot when he showed how bad he got bullied in the post against more physical players . He’s not fast enough or does he have the handles to play the four or a stretch four in the league . I’ve said it many times he is a modern NBA center. Theyed rather shoot from outside then mix it up in the paint . If he comes back and improves his shoot, post moves and handles and a little more on his defense he’s lottery in next years weak draft or at least mid first round .

Just listened to the Duke Basketball Report podcast, and they discussed who they thought would stay or go. They are close to the program, but admitted these are educated guesses. They reviewed the backcourt. Their takes:
Roach: will try the pros or transfer to play PG.
Proctor: will return.
Blakes: will transfer if Proctor or Roach returns.
Schutt: will stay.
Whitehead: goes pro.

Reactions: mbdfan
Roach either plays at Duke or leaves for the pros. I'd love to have Roach and Proctor back, but only Proctor is returning, probably, of those two. Blakes is more than likely gone. Schutt isn't going anywhere unless something drastically changes. Whitehead and Lively are gone. Flip is a heavy lean to return, as is Mitchell. I said it earlier in this thread and the transfer portal one: Duke fans will be very happy with what we return for next season.

Proctor
Roach
MgBako
Mitchell
Filipowski

Will walk out on that court as the starting 5 in the Champions Classic next year as the #1 team in the country and walk off in April for Duke’s 6th National Title

😜
If that happens, I will eat my shoe.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke Blu
Flip lost a lot when he showed how bad he got bullied in the post against more physical players . He’s not fast enough or does he have the handles to play the four or a stretch four in the league . I’ve said it many times he is a modern NBA center. Theyed rather shoot from outside then mix it up in the paint . If he comes back and improves his shoot, post moves and handles and a little more on his defense he’s lottery in next years weak draft or at least mid first round .
He went from modern day collegiate 5 to now a nba center. Cracking me up my man!

Reactions: Devilinside
And I personally think Foster can make almost the same impact Roach did this year. Very good player who really turned it on over the last year.
Foster comes in with a big-time chip on his shoulder. He's a starter. He's not coming off the bench. That's why I say Roach or Proctor are gone. Roach made it pretty clear he was done after this year. Of course, if Proctor surprises and jumps to the league, maybe Roach has a change of heart. That's why I said he was 1% to return, haha

Reactions: Duke Blu
Roach either plays at Duke or leaves for the pros. I'd love to have Roach and Proctor back, but only Proctor is returning, probably, of those two. Blakes is more than likely gone. Schutt isn't going anywhere unless something drastically changes. Whitehead and Lively are gone. Flip is a heavy lean to return, as is Mitchell. I said it earlier in this thread and the transfer portal one: Duke fans will be very happy with what we return for next season.

Are you hearing this or guessing?

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Also, take it with a grain of salt. These are kids, and things change; look at Keels last off-season. I would've bet the farm on him returning; the plan was for him and Roach to run it back together. But he had bad info and people telling him all the wrong things. At the last minute, he spurned us, and I love the kid, but he cost us big time. It left the coaching staff in the lurch, which will NOT happen again.

You mean they are not waiting until 3 hours before the deadline like Keels?
No. I'd love to know everything said, but getting 3rd or 4th hand info, I usually have to be careful about what I post about any situation. Plus, my dude reads the board, and I don't want to put anything out there that would put the kibosh on getting info out of Fort Knox. He would be a great politician, haha

Proctor
Foster
MgBako
Flip
Big Time Transfer 5

Flip isn’t a 5. Ryan Young isn’t a starter. Reeves is a project. I’d love for him to stick around and develop but also wouldn’t be surprised if he transferred. They need a true center next year in a bad way.

Mitchell and Stewart come off the bench as super defense guys. McCain, Powers, and Schutt. But also wouldn’t be surprised if Schutt left either. No real room for him at all.

Proctor
Foster
MgBako
Flip
Big Time Transfer 5

Flip isn’t a 5. Ryan Young isn’t a starter. Reeves is a project. I’d love for him to stick around and develop but also wouldn’t be surprised if he transferred. They need a true center next year in a bad way.

Mitchell and Stewart come off the bench as super defense guys. McCain, Powers, and Schutt. But also wouldn’t be surprised if Schutt left either. No real room for him at all.
I don't think Schutt leaves unless something major changes.

Brutal thread but it's been rehashed since atleast the 2015 Championship team

I'll be honest, with all the other sports available today I am also a January type fan these days. I love the preseason tourneys. First glimpse at the new youngsters. Then we typically struggle thru the Conference schedule maturing the kids and then hit our stride to finish the regular season.

As with most things in life the answer is somewhere in the middle. The Duke brand continues to never be more popular & hip. And this is in large part to the 1&Dones. I'm confident Coach Scheyer can find a healthy median to all this. Considering recent Covid season & Mr.Krzyzewski retiring, I'm still very happy with our direction moving forward.

Now thats a college all star lineup .with a nice bench as well
It would be an outstanding lineup and is the one that I am hoping materializes. There are posters scattered amongst our boards who are convinced that it will happen and that seem to be well informed. We will see soon enough. I also agree that the decisions will be made much earlier this time. I don't think the staff wants to be left hanging as has happened in the past. I keep reading about a possible portal big or the European guy but is there really room? By now, Stewart may be a little bigger than he is listed and quite capable of being a small ball 5 at the collegiate level.

If we get Proctor, Mark and Flip ALL back it would honestly be unprecedented for our program. Recent history strongly suggests that will not happen so I'm not holding my breath. I would be over the moon to get one of them back.

However, I have zero inside information and I do believe that people here have a better handle on it than I do. Man it would be freaking awesome if those three came back...you would have to think with those three, and our incoming class- that's preseason top 3 for sure

serious question- who was the last duke player to surprise us by returning to our program? honestly can’t remember

grayson? feel like he had to repair his image and wasn’t a first round pick

you all are a lot more optimistic than me lol. feels like anytime there’s been doubt someone’s leaving duke in the last 10 years, theyve left. so i’m prepare to see everyone leave at this point

the likelihood that we get three back seems pretty darn optimistic to me

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
serious question- who was the last duke player to surprise us by returning to our program? honestly can’t remember

grayson? feel like he had to repair his image and wasn’t a first round pick

you all are a lot more optimistic than me lol. feels like anytime there’s been doubt someone’s leaving duke in the last 10 years, theyve left. so i’m prepare to see everyone leave at this point

the likelihood that we get three back seems pretty darn optimistic to me
Tre Jones.

It would be an outstanding lineup and is the one that I am hoping materializes. There are posters scattered amongst our boards who are convinced that it will happen and that seem to be well informed. We will see soon enough. I also agree that the decisions will be made much earlier this time. I don't think the staff wants to be left hanging as has happened in the past. I keep reading about a possible portal big or the European guy but is there really room? By now, Stewart may be a little bigger than he is listed and quite capable of being a small ball 5 at the collegiate level.
If Stewart is playing the 5 next year, we're in trouble. The chances are pretty good that we get two of Proctor, Mitchell, and Flip back, with strong indications we may see all three return. So many moving parts right now. But I think we're in good shape for next year.

If we get Proctor, Mark and Flip ALL back it would honestly be unprecedented for our program. Recent history strongly suggests that will not happen so I'm not holding my breath. I would be over the moon to get one of them back.

However, I have zero inside information and I do believe that people here have a better handle on it than I do. Man it would be freaking awesome if those three came back...you would have to think with those three, and our incoming class- that's preseason top 3 for sure
If that happens, I bet we don't miss the tourney like some other team did this year.

• Haha
Reactions: JimboSlice00
Roach leaving makes sense if Proctor comes back. If not, it will be a curious decision. He's given us 3 years and I am thankful for that. But when is the last time a starter gave up a final year of eligibility at Duke who did not enter the draft? Still it's his life. I've heard some say he might try another program, where he could play PG.
I would be thrilled to get Proctor, Mitchell and Flip back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT