ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any RVers here?

retiredsoldier

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2012
I was wondering if there are any duke fans here that have any type of RV from a class A to a travel trailer. The wife and I have been looking hard for about 2 years and plan on pulling the trigger on an Entegra Anthem class A in about 1.5 years if we are fortunate to still be on this side of the dirt.

I was wondering if anybody here has an RV and what their experiences have been. This is one beautiful country and I can't think of any better way to see it.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I don't have a RV but I got a cousin named Eddie who has one. He loves his so much that he practically lives in it. He says he has all the comforts of home. He and his family go all over the place in it visiting family all over the country. You don't even have to worry about putting him up for a month or two. He just pulls the thing in front of my house and he has a new address. The only thing is he never let's us know he's coming.OFC

I don't have a RV but I got a cousin named Eddie who has one. He loves his so much that he practically lives in it. He says he has all the comforts of home. He and his family go all over the place in it visiting family all over the country. You don't even have to worry about putting him up for a month or two. He just pulls the thing in front of my house and he has a new address. The only thing is he never let's us know he's coming.OFC
Man Sky, I've wanted one a long time ago before I retired. When I got with my wife, we were contracting overseas at the time and told her we should get one and full time with it. Long story short, she said no and had no idea how nice they were. About 2 years ago, I took her to a convention here in Atlanta, as well as the National RV Center here and she had a fit. Now she is dying to get one, so we have been doing a few years of research on models and everything that comes with them. So hopefully in about 2 years, we will have one. So many people are selling their house and going full time. Right now our plan is to keep the house, use it on Airbnb when we are not here. They have changed so much no matter if it's a class A or 5th wheel, they are absolutely beautiful.

Reactions: skysdad
Man Sky, I've wanted one a long time ago before I retired. When I got with my wife, we were contracting overseas at the time and told her we should get one and full time with it. Long story short, she said no and had no idea how nice they were. About 2 years ago, I took her to a convention here in Atlanta, as well as the National RV Center here and she had a fit. Now she is dying to get one, so we have been doing a few years of research on models and everything that comes with them. So hopefully in about 2 years, we will have one. So many people are selling their house and going full time. Right now our plan is to keep the house, use it on Airbnb when we are not here. They have changed so much no matter if it's a class A or 5th wheel, they are absolutely beautiful.

I know a family that sold their home and traveled for year with about 5 kids. The husband worked from home anyway. The kids were home schooled and went all over the country. After the year was up they sold the RV and relocated where they found comfortable and bought another house. OFC

Reactions: retiredsoldier
I know a family that sold their home and traveled for year with about 5 kids. The husband worked from home anyway. The kids were home schooled and went all over the country. After the year was up they sold the RV and relocated where they found comfortable and bought another house. OFC
Oh, I believe that. Read those stories as well. Taking a big chance to sell the house and live on the road basically and if for some reason it doesn't work out, then you back at square one looking for another house. I would be scared to death to go that route lol.

I've been RVing since the early '80s. My wife and I bought a 1974 Real-Lite slide-on with our first income tax return. We then went to 5th wheels, and I guess we've had five of them, starting small (26') then growing to 36' and now scaled back to 28'.

Mostly we camp at the beach, like ten to twelve weekends per year, but have thrown in four cross-country trips as well.

You didn't mention it, but with a Class A you are going to want to tow a small car or motorcycle. Otherwise you are stuck taking your house everywhere you go, which pretty much rules out taking in city entertainment, and any time you move from a campground you have to re-secure everything, which is a pain if you are just going out for the evening. That's why we went with 5th wheels....just park, unhitch, set up, and drive the truck to other attractions.

Have fun, man. It's the best.

OFC

Just don’t do any “chemistry” in your RV...

@retiredsoldier seriously don’t wait too long to get started. I know there are financial considerations, but you are a young man now. Go now while there’s plenty of romance and energy. It won’t be the same trip 5 years from now.

Lmbo
Just don’t do any “chemistry” in your RV...

@retiredsoldier seriously don’t wait too long to get started. I know there are financial considerations, but you are a young man now. Go now while there’s plenty of romance and energy. It won’t be the same trip 5 years from now.
Lmbo Denver. Yes, we both are really looking at getting started soon as possible. The crazy thing is, some RV parks require you to be 55 years old lol. I knew their were length restrictions, but age was crazy. The plan is to buy one 2021. We almost pulled the trigger 3 months ago on an awesome 2017 with 9000 miles. Appreciate your advice buddy.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I have had a few different popups, and about 5 years ago. Bought a new 30’ travel trailer. We loved it, but sold it to buy the house boat. I think you will enjoy using it to see the country if you enjoy driving on long trips. I hate driving though. Going to S.C. Next week and it’s only a 6.5 hour drive, and I am dreading it big time. I get road rage too bad to be a cross country RV’er!!!!

Classic sky!!!

I've been RVing since the early '80s. My wife and I bought a 1974 Real-Lite slide-on with our first income tax return. We then went to 5th wheels, and I guess we've had five of them, starting small (26') then growing to 36' and now scaled back to 28'.

Mostly we camp at the beach, like ten to twelve weekends per year, but have thrown in four cross-country trips as well.

You didn't mention it, but with a Class A you are going to want to tow a small car or motorcycle. Otherwise you are stuck taking your house everywhere you go, which pretty much rules out taking in city entertainment, and any time you move from a campground you have to re-secure everything, which is a pain if you are just going out for the evening. That's why we went with 5th wheels....just park, unhitch, set up, and drive the truck to other attractions.

Have fun, man. It's the best.

OFC
Ahhh man Willcampbell, that's what I'm talking about right there! I know you and the family have a blast doing that. My former State Trooper supervisor brought a nice toy hauler a few months ago and took his first trip to Florida.

We are going to pull a vehicle behind it. Right now, if needed we will use our little 350z, but thinking about selling the other 4 vehicles and buying a nice used jeep Rubicon. I'm very deliberate in doing research before committing to buy.

Right now, the wife has been putting together a book of nice RV must have things. I never realized how many people are actually doing full time RVing. Trust me Willcampbell, we plan on having a blast man. We are going to do the blogging on youtube as well. The wife already came up with our screen name, "Better Together".

I have had a few different popups, and about 5 years ago. Bought a new 30’ travel trailer. We loved it, but sold it to buy the house boat. I think you will enjoy using it to see the country if you enjoy driving on long trips. I hate driving though. Going to S.C. Next week and it’s only a 6.5 hour drive, and I am dreading it big time. I get road rage too bad to be a cross country RV’er!!!!
Nice buddy. I like driving, but don't plan on overdoing it on any long trips. Park that joker at a rest stop or planned RV park enroute lol.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I was a huge Raver in the late 80’s through the early 90’s. Lived in Orlando, the scene was fabulous...
Sasha/Digweed at the Beechem in ‘92 was the best rave I’ve been to. Danced all night!

Ahhh man Willcampbell, that's what I'm talking about right there! I know you and the family have a blast doing that. My former State Trooper supervisor brought a nice toy hauler a few months ago and took his first trip to Florida.

We are going to pull a vehicle behind it. Right now, if needed we will use our little 350z, but thinking about selling the other 4 vehicles and buying a nice used jeep Rubicon. I'm very deliberate in doing research before committing to buy.

Right now, the wife has been putting together a book of nice RV must have things. I never realized how many people are actually doing full time RVing. Trust me Willcampbell, we plan on having a blast man. We are going to do the blogging on youtube as well. The wife already came up with our screen name, "Better Together".
Good plan, getting the Jeep. If you find yourselves in Moab and Monument Valley, Utah you will not want to stick to the highway, and you'll end up renting a 4x4 anyway. Might as well already own it. There are great campgrounds in the areas and SO much to do outdoors. We considered getting our second home there, until we found paradise on the Ogeechee River in Georgia (right across the river from Fort Stewart).
OFC

PS: Thank you for your service. One of my good friends was in the 101st Airborne in Nam. He always chided the Marines, saying that the Marines were the a-holes he had to go in to rescue when they got themselves into trouble!

My wife's parents lived in a RV for a while a few years back. They loved it but wanted to settle down in 1 place and have a garden and some animals.
We have a pop up that we love. When we go camping, its more to get away from everything out in the middle of the woods and away from all the noise. Which is why we got the pop up. I can pull that thing down trails and set up wherever. Usually try to do national parks where its free and nobody is around. Just use it as a base camp for hiking and exploring. We added solar, dual batteries, dual propane tanks, and a few other mods so we can stay out pretty much as long as we want, or until we run out of water.
We actually pulled it up from NC to Maine earlier this year to go to a college friends wedding.

Reactions: Willcampbell
My wife's parents lived in a RV for a while a few years back. They loved it but wanted to settle down in 1 place and have a garden and some animals.
We have a pop up that we love. When we go camping, its more to get away from everything out in the middle of the woods and away from all the noise. Which is why we got the pop up. I can pull that thing down trails and set up wherever. Usually try to do national parks where its free and nobody is around. Just use it as a base camp for hiking and exploring. We added solar, dual batteries, dual propane tanks, and a few other mods so we can stay out pretty much as long as we want, or until we run out of water.
We actually pulled it up from NC to Maine earlier this year to go to a college friends wedding.
I like that you enjoy "dry camping"......no hookups. That's our method on 90% of our trips, and the only option at the beaches we frequent.

PS: I pretty much hate other people too.

OFC

Reactions: consman
I like that you enjoy "dry camping"......no hookups. That's our method on 90% of our trips, and the only option at the beaches we frequent.

PS: I pretty much hate other people too.

OFC

Haha, I was trying to be nice about it :)
But yeah, its great to not have all the other people yelling and making tons of noise when I'm trying to relax or sleep. Its also a great feeling to know you are fully self sufficient. I know some places that we want to go, we wont have a choice. Its nice to stay at some resort style areas sometimes just for the extra perks like playgrounds and pools for the kids, but not our preferred method. Have you done any RVing before? My wife and I have plans to full time when we retire. That or buy a boat and sail away!

Oh, what beaches are you going to? Lots of good ones in NC for RV or tent camping
Live on Long Island half the year. Three beaches ideal for dry camping...Montauk, Shinnecock, and Cupsogue. Also camped on Padre Island, Tx and some national seashore off of Alabama, whose name escapes me. As for your previous question of whether I've done RVing before, see the beginning part of the thread. Usually beach camp from April through second week of June and Sept through Oct, when the ,umm, children {I was going to say brats}, are not around and fewer of those pesky "other people.
OFC

Oh, what beaches are you going to? Lots of good ones in NC for RV or tent camping
You've got my attention. Tell me more about the beach camping in NC. Maybe I'll stop there on my way to Georgia, and visit the old alma mater while I'm at it. Thanks.
OFC

Here's my old one , Duke Blue of course. She was burnin' to much fuel so we let her go. :D

bb1f56a75734ad9217496ffadc5b53e5.jpg

There a few national/state park/nature preserve areas over there. Lots of good fishing and seafood. Some of these are best for tent camping, but you can usually find campgrounds or resorts near by. There are lots of areas in the Outer banks with several of those uninhabited if you really want to get away. There are 7 lighthouses in NC, all with different designs. If you go full time, its a cool thing to see them all.
-Carolina Beach state park is pretty close to Wilmington where you can drive out on the beach. Also has Venus flytraps in the area. Odd thing to call out, but I always thought it was cool knowing those were in NC. Just seems like some exotic plant that would be in a rainforest somewhere instead.
-Topsail has some nice spots with sand dunes. My aunt lives over there, so we usually stay with her, but its a nice little beach area.
-Cape Lookout you can actually set up a tent and see the lighthouse at night, or go see the wild horses at Shackleford. This is strictly primitive with no designated spots. There is an RV park close, but I've never been to it.
-Another nice lighthouse area is Cape Hatteras. You can ferry over to Ocracoke and set up a tent in the dunes. Can also see some wild horses here. Cool place to see Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills where the Wright brothers flew.

Good plan, getting the Jeep. If you find yourselves in Moab and Monument Valley, Utah you will not want to stick to the highway, and you'll end up renting a 4x4 anyway. Might as well already own it. There are great campgrounds in the areas and SO much to do outdoors. We considered getting our second home there, until we found paradise on the Ogeechee River in Georgia (right across the river from Fort Stewart).
OFC

PS: Thank you for your service. One of my good friends was in the 101st Airborne in Nam. He always chided the Marines, saying that the Marines were the a-holes he had to go in to rescue when they got themselves into trouble!
Man, I swear just looking online, there is so many parks and site seeing to do. A few places I definitely have to visit is the grand canyon and Yellowstone. I told the wife during the summer, we would make the drive to Anchorage, Alaska. I drove from Ft.Bragg to Ft.Richardson in 7 days when I got stationed there. What a beautiful drive.

Appreciate the service comment. I did 2 tours at Ft.Campbell with the mighty Screaming Eagles. Sounds about right, 101 always saving somebody's butt lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT