ADVERTISEMENT

Okay let’s talk the UK vs Duke game

Do you really think that's our norm?

Kentucky teams can never shoot. I have not the slightest idea why uk fans think this year will be any different. The only real shooter UK has is Herro. The rest can hit threes but aren’t consistently reliable from beyond the arc, with the exception of quickley. Duke does have questions with their shooting but have had good showings in their two exhibitions, shooting 43 and 50 percent respectively with plenty enough volume. I doubt we shoot above 40 as a team on the year, but if we shoot 35 our shooting won’t be a disadvantage.

Also don’t get why it seems to be a foregone conclusion that uk’s experience gives them an edge. None of the guys coming back played that well last year. Unless they all made major leaps as players in less than a year I don’t think it’s fair to consider depth an advantage.

This is a game between the recruits uk really wanted vs the recruits they ended up settling for and a mediocre returning core. Forgive me if I’m not worried.

Perhaps. Now who is going to guard Richards/Travis and Washington?

Zion will guard Travis and delaurier or bolden will guard Richards. Travis was great at Stanford but he has neither the size, height, or athleticism advantage over Zion. He may be craftier but if he were truly that crafty he would be in the nba and not a 5th year grad transfer. Richards has shown well in exhibitions but he’s not going to be a guy that can put up 20-30 points a game. Bolden or delaurier can defend him well enough to get the job done.

The real question is who will guard Zion, cam, and Barrett. Uk has some decent defenenders but I don’t see anyone with the size, strength, and quickness to guard dukes big 3. You can’t put guards on them because they’ll get abused, but if you try to put your bigs on them they’ll get beaten easily off the dribble. People harp on the fact that all three of our best players were listed at the 3 coming out of hs but this will give duke 3 matchup nightmares. Our versatility will put a lot of teams in a catch-22

Zion will guard Travis and delaurier or bolden will guard Richards. Travis was great at Stanford but he has neither the size, height, or athleticism advantage over Zion. He may be craftier but if he were truly that crafty he would be in the nba and not a 5th year grad transfer. Richards has shown well in exhibitions but he’s not going to be a guy that can put up 20-30 points a game. Bolden or delaurier can defend him well enough to get the job done.

The real question is who will guard Zion, cam, and Barrett. Uk has some decent defenenders but I don’t see anyone with the size, strength, and quickness to guard dukes big 3. You can’t put guards on them because they’ll get abused, but if you try to put your bigs on them they’ll get beaten easily off the dribble. People harp on the fact that all three of our best players were listed at the 3 coming out of hs but this will give duke 3 matchup nightmares. Our versatility will put a lot of teams in a catch-22
Duke should win by 30, no contest

Reactions: -BBH-
Herron is not a bad defender thought but that doesn’t matter since Reddish will be guarded by Keldon Johnson (who also could drop 30) Herro has shown he can also drop 30 back on redoing since neither are known as lock down defenders. Both teams have players who can drop buckets so this will be a great battle of wills indeed. I don’t think there has been a duke v UK match up I’ve anticipated more than this one ever

If Herro is guarding Cam Reddish, expect CamFam to drop about 30.

Not even joking a little bit.

I was worried about this game until I turned on my TV and saw Uk is beating IU PA (whoever the heck that is) 51-44...

Kentucky half court offense no good outside of the 4 threes Herro hit. Fast break dunks and rebounds the only thing going well.

Reid Travis a “Beast” vs. 6’ 4” guys. Not sure he will earn Beast title against the top teams but we will see.

Also was watching ACC Preseason POY stinking it up so far tonight.

Was a beast Vs that Arizona front line that featured the number one pick in the draft and the other 7 footer. Who knows what he does tues but to act like he’s not proven is asinine

Reid Travis a “Beast” vs. 6’ 4” guys. Not sure he will earn Beast title against the top teams but we will see.

Also was watching ACC Preseason POY stinking it up so far tonight.

Was a beast Vs that Arizona front line that featured the number one pick in the draft and the other 7 footer. Who knows what he does tues but to act like he’s not proven is asinine
I am a kent fan not very confident about the game. Can our bigs guard in space.

I am wondering if Calipari can give everyone enough minutes and keep them from trying to force things to show they deserve more. First real games can be tough.

When I started this thread, I said it’s a toss up. I still believe it. I think 5 points either way.

I seen a lot of things I liked last night and a lot of things I didn’t. I’m not confident but I’m not worried. Both teams are young and both want be the same come March.

As far as defense goes, if Duke gets a early lead, I say our backcourt will be Hagans, Herro, and Johnson. They’re our best defenders.

Frontcourt, I think we’re fine.

Either way, good luck and I just hope for a injury free game.

When I started this thread, I said it’s a toss up. I still believe it. I think 5 points either way.

I seen a lot of things I liked last night and a lot of things I didn’t. I’m not confident but I’m not worried. Both teams are young and both want be the same come March.

As far as defense goes, if Duke gets a early lead, I say our backcourt will be Hagans, Herro, and Johnson. They’re our best defenders.

Frontcourt, I think we’re fine.

Either way, good luck and I just hope for a injury free game.

I agree with toss up. I wouldn't bet a lot of money either way....I just wish we played much later in the year when both teams are in March form

I promise you the UK team that played last night won't be the one we face on Tuesday. It will all be left on the floor. Both teams will definitely bring a lot more intensity to their game. I know everyone talks about UK's depth, but playing only 7-8 players allows players to get a better feel for the game than lots of substitutions. I think Duke wins by 8.

I was worried about this game until I turned on my TV and saw Uk is beating IU PA (whoever the heck that is) 51-44...

lol I thought the same thing in college when my ice hockey team went to Indiana, PA for a game with their D1 team. We were D1 as well but given that I never heard of them, I went in non-focused as a goalie. After 5 goals through 2 periods I was yanked and I felt like a jackass. They had their top line loaded with kids that played in the QMJHL and ended up going to the AHL which is one spot down from NHL. Point is, supposedly they do that across a bunch of their sports teams: get some ringers that had issues elsewhere. Curious if their bball team did the same?

Reactions: jwill133
No one will slow down RJ.. Zion is the one i’m anxious to see how UK defends, if at all.

Their M2M defense is the weakness for week 1 of the season.

Herro will surprise a lot of people with his overall game. Can PJ hit a free throw? Will Richards be able to catch a lob, finish at the rim. Can Quade knock down an open 3? As a UK fan i’m interested in seeing any progression from the returnees

Has Reddish been a healthy participant of late? Jones?

I look forward in seeing how it plays out but regardless both teams will fare just fine no matter the outcome for either..

This game is just so tough for me to call. Surely Kentucky's experience should win this game, but damn, RJ , Zion and Cam are so damn tough. I'm gonna keep my prediction as same, Kentucky by 6 to 8 but If the whole "stage fright from first big game" thing doesn't kick in on our freshmen the way it should, we could win this thing by 10 -12 points. Thank GOD I don't have to bet money on this one.

The 5 out offense will be a full go tomorrow night. A few questions to be answered; can we hit stand-still jumpers if help defenders cheat over, can we get and more importantly make free-throws when at the line, can we rebound misses and if not can we play adequate transition defense? Based on the answers of those questions I believe this game can swing from a UK win (by a small margin) to a Duke win (by a large margin). I believe there is a large talent gap between them and us, I am confident we will get ours. However they appear to be deeper and if we don't take of the small things I believe Kentucky to be fully capable of beating us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT