ADVERTISEMENT

Okay let’s talk the UK vs Duke game

The UK fans and program are taking this game far more seriously than Duke's fans and program. We are approaching this game with the appropriate level of focus. UK is treating it like the game that will decide all future events. We'll be able to move on from it, one way or another, after it is over. I'm not sure UK will be able to do so. They might not recover from a solid win. A loss could devastate them.

this is true.

I want this game very badly.

Crush their soul and spirit.

this is true.

I want this game very badly.

Crush their soul and spirit.

I feel you, but you need to calm down a little. Their depth and experience are likely to be too much for Duke to overcome in week 1. March could be very different. But week 1 is going to be tricky.

Yeah, I want to win it, but it has no bearing on our ACC standings, and doesn't at all mean what ever happens is what we could expect if we meet again in March or April. Both teams will look differently by then. In the overall scheme of things, this game doesn't mean very much more than any other non conference game. it "could" possibly have some impact on seeding in March, but if we take care of business in the ACC, and they do the same in the SEC, it is probably not even going to matter much

Reactions: PatrickYates
I want this game, I mean, I REALLY want this win.

But at the same time, must keep things into perspective. Go back to last year, we beat MSU in the same event, without our best player. Lets all be honest with ourselves, after that win, I think we thought that Duke team had the potential to be one of those 38-2 37-3 title teams like some of the best Duke teams ever. Or at least I thought that. Obviously that didn't happen.

If we win, I'll be estatic. If we lose, I'll be hurt, but nowhere near as hurt as I was after our Kansas tourney loss last year.

Yeah, I want to win it, but it has no bearing on our ACC standings, and doesn't at all mean what ever happens is what we could expect if we meet again in March or April. Both teams will look differently by then. In the overall scheme of things, this game doesn't mean very much more than any other non conference game. it "could" possibly have some impact on seeding in March, but if we take care of business in the ACC, and they do the same in the SEC, it is probably not even going to matter much

Honestly, it is likely to have less impact on overall seeding than in past years. For most of Calipari's UK career, the SEC was a wasteland, with only 1-2 other teams even qualifying as decent, with most of the SEC being truly horrible. They were likely to win all but 1-2 games in the conf. Ergo, non-conf defeats had huge impact on their seeding. A team with 6-8 overall losses might fare better than a 2 loss UK team if the 6-8 loss squad beat UK heads up in the regular season.
Well, the SEC has improved to the point that UK will suffer a few defeats. The recency of UK's play will have more of an impact than a game played in week 1 of the season.

Most likely, Herro. Your team is going to cause odd matchups for both sides. I've been looking forward to how three ball dominate small forwards play together. We'll find out in 2 weeks.

If Herro is guarding Cam Reddish, expect CamFam to drop about 30.

Not even joking a little bit.

I'm pretty sure ya'll will know who in 2 weeks. Anyone want to do that avatar bet? I do post on RR and I'd sport a Duke avatar the rest of the season if we lose. Anyone willing to do the same?

I'll stick with my early prediction, UK by 6-8 points then we beat them in the Elite 8 or FF.
I don’t know who will win this early but I think 6-8 for either way is a stretch.

Buddy, the only way we’re meeting during the tournament is in the final four. Hopefully both of us can make it. It would be TV gold.

I'm pretty sure ya'll will know who in 2 weeks. Anyone want to do that avatar bet? I do post on RR and I'd sport a Duke avatar the rest of the season if we lose. Anyone willing to do the same?
You'd probably be banned over there for that avatar regardless of the circumstances.

I see us being a different team this year than what we've sort of become used to seeing. Maybe plenty of others have a different opinion, but the way I see it is that we've become a team that looks elite in November and December and, while we don't regress, we don't improve much after that.

I think this team will grow similarly to the 2015 team. We lose some early games and probably a few in conference play that we're capable of winning. But by March we're a much better team than the beginning of the season.

I think we lose to Kentucky Nov 6, but they'll want no part of us come March. Kentucky will be a better team than us in the start of the season, but we have a higher ceiling.

I see us being a different team this year than what we've sort of become used to seeing. Maybe plenty of others have a different opinion, but the way I see it is that we've become a team that looks elite in November and December and, while we don't regress, we don't improve much after that.

I think this team will grow similarly to the 2015 team. We lose some early games and probably a few in conference play that we're capable of winning. But by March we're a much better team than the beginning of the season.

I think we lose to Kentucky Nov 6, but they'll want no part of us come March. Kentucky will be a better team than us in the start of the season, but we have a higher ceiling.

This is why I come over here to ya'll board. You are correct, I think Kentucky (I'm a fan) will be better Nov 6. I look at things like this from Duke side. Zion played a lot off AAU ball and gambles way too much. A couple of quick fouls can change the game if he is on the bench. I think by March his defense will be more solid and less gambles. RJ is a star enough said. I do think he can be frustrated and I'm not sure what that will look like in a game. But I think teams that can run Duke and have more bodies to bring in spells trouble. Because duke is solid at the top but the bench not as much. I would love to see a rematch in March. Tried not to sound like a homebody.

This is why I come over here to ya'll board. You are correct, I think Kentucky (I'm a fan) will be better Nov 6. I look at things like this from Duke side. Zion played a lot off AAU ball and gambles way too much. A couple of quick fouls can change the game if he is on the bench. I think by March his defense will be more solid and less gambles. RJ is a star enough said. I do think he can be frustrated and I'm not sure what that will look like in a game. But I think teams that can run Duke and have more bodies to bring in spells trouble. Because duke is solid at the top but the bench not as much. I would love to see a rematch in March. Tried not to sound like a homebody.
I think your Kentucky board is racist....to Duke fans lmao....So what makes you think we’re suppose to give you a civilized conversation over here when your board doesn’t do the same? :p....that’s just the way I see it

I don't like Duke's transition defense matched up with Kentucky's transition offense at all. Having said that, it could (and probably will be) just a game of run and gun offense with hardly any defense played by either team. If it's just both teams running up and down the court in transition then anything is certainly possible.

I think your Kentucky board is racist....to Duke fans lmao....So what makes you think we’re suppose to give you a civilized conversation over here when your board doesn’t do the same? :p....that’s just the way I see it

I'm not coming on here screaming Kentucky will win by 20 and Zion fat and all that other stuff. I'm a basketball fan first and Kentucky fan second. I enjoy talking basketball if my team win or lose.

I'm not coming on here screaming Kentucky will win by 20 and Zion fat and all that other stuff. I'm a basketball fan first and Kentucky fan second. I enjoy talking basketball if my team win or lose.
Fair, but a lot of us I think could say that and have been banned from your board...sooo? Just carry on never mind

Everyone seems to be claiming that Duke is ultra thin, I disagree. Not much can be taken from the Canada tour or the exhibition game last night other than reps and chemistry building. With that said I’m encouraged and expect plenty of contributions from our bench this year. AOC, Javin, Jack and even JG are all competent and can play a needed role. The cupboard is not nearly as bare as people think.

I don't like Duke's transition defense matched up with Kentucky's transition offense at all. Having said that, it could (and probably will be) just a game of run and gun offense with hardly any defense played by either team. If it's just both teams running up and down the court in transition then anything is certainly possible.

Good response!! I will say that Kentucky has worked a lot of defense and Hagans is a huge advantage in terms of on the ball defense. I played PG D2 nothing special. But the one thing I hated is that bulldog that wish to play hard the entire game. It takes a lot out of you and Bolden is not becoming who everyone thought he would when it was a huge recruiting battle. I think that force Zion and RJ to focus more on rebounding instead of getting out and running like they did last night.

Everyone seems to be claiming that Duke is ultra thin, I disagree. Not much can be taken from the Canada tour or the exhibition game last night other than reps and chemistry building. With that said I’m encouraged and expect plenty of contributions from our bench this year. AOC, Javin, Jack and even JG are all competent and can play a needed role. The cupboard is not nearly as bare as people think.

I will agree with you on the outlook of Duke being thin. That is what I been saying as well and if there is contribution off the bench like your saying it will make a huge difference this year for your team.

I’m not worried about bench contribution. I’m worried about the same issue, mtm defense, that has plagued many recent Duke teams.

Our transition defense last night was putrid and our mtm wasn’t great either, given the competition. It is an AAU generation we live in, the top talent wants to score, they don’t care all that much about getting scored on. I haven’t even begun to pass judgment on this particular team, but I’m also aware of the definition of insanity. Scoring is never really our issue, it is the other side. I want to see a group take pride on getting stops, that is when Duke will do great things.

Reactions: Mac9192
I don’t think we need to play the game. I mean according to them we are short handed, we’ll be exhausted and we have no shot. Let’s just forfeit and move on to the next game.

I don’t think we need to play the game. I mean according to them we are short handed, we’ll be exhausted and we have no shot. Let’s just forfeit and move on to the next game.
I second that motion lol. Duke should be put on probation and K suspended for not calling ahead and forfeiting already. Would save us poor fans the embarrassing 30 point beat down.

And our bag guys a lot of $ since we won't have to pay off the refs.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the ref's. It's a crying shame that they have that built in excuse already in top form literally 2 weeks away. Who does that?

UK Fans LOVE to say how Duke has ZERO 3pt shooting....while their team goes 1-13 tonight against Trans? lololol o_O:D

Cant wait for this matchup!!
Kentucky fans are stupid.

We got the 3 best recruits and they still think they are going to win.

Lol.

It will be 1 game either way for both teams. This game actually means absolutely nothing in 5+ months. Ill take the first 3 hundo bets for the fun of it on this board if anyone is interested. Straight up. Duke has a great team, UK has a great team, but someone has to lose in November. Ill offer the same if we meet in April.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT