ADVERTISEMENT

Official gameday thread- Duke vs UNC v2

Ugh. Just saw that video of the Crazies throwing water bottles. Terrible look. Do better that is bad sportsmanship no matter what the players were saying. That video will get a lot of mileage on social media. Lose with class.

Reactions: Jperry1987
Who cares, the players shouldn’t have run over there either?? Win the game and celebrate with your teammates. What have sports turned into. Just like the Pitt player, what happened to winning with class. If Duke players win like that I wouldn’t condone that and I hope Coach Scheyer wouldn’t either. Just my opinion, can’t have it both ways. Both are at fault, fans shouldn’t throw stuff either. At least security was there unlike Wake Forest.

Next year is it but unc will be older and better again
They won’t. Bacot, Davis and cormack Ryan are all gone. Ingram is good as a role player when you have to worry about Davis and bacot he can hit the open shot etc. much harder to due when you are the focus - like flip this year over last year.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
They won’t. Bacot, Davis and cormack Ryan are all gone. Ingram is good as a role player when you have to worry about Davis and bacot he can hit the open shot etc. much harder to due when you are the focus - like flip this year over last year.
Davis has the Covid year option just like Roach.

Who cares, the players shouldn’t have run over there either?? Win the game and celebrate with your teammates. What have sports turned into. Just like the Pitt player, what happened to winning with class. If Duke players win like that I wouldn’t condone that and I hope Coach Scheyer wouldn’t either. Just my opinion, can’t have it both ways. Both are at fault, fans shouldn’t throw stuff either. At least security was there unlike Wake Forest.
Fans talked smack the whole game. UNC players were just giving it back to them (mostly waiving bye bye, so definitely nothing like the Pitt player jumping on the scorer's table.)

The fans who threw drinks probably need to be banned. UNC didn't even throw stuff at Henderson after he broke Hansbrough's nose. Throwing stuff at players is unacceptable.

Reactions: UNC71-00
The part that bothers me is we start one senior and three sophomores. They all played in the Tennessee game, and Jon coached it.
We still look like the same type of team that will not be able to handle a physical team.
Jon has come up short so far in correcting this. It’s not strength. It’s mental, effort, will… but not strength.

Three sophomores are still underclassmen. All three sophomores are five stars, but if folks call out their physicality against 23-25 year olds that seems off.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Mitchell was playing well only a few games ago. Not sure what has happened but I'm not giving up on him. We need him. We saw today that Stewart is not yet ready for the big stage. He's getting there. I was going to joke this morning that I hope Stewart doesn't foul out in 5 minutes and that almost happened.

Interesting point about our teams age, Only Stewart is not 20. Ryan is 24, Flip and Mark are 20, Jared is 20, Jeremy 22. They are not a bunch of 18 year Olds. What I saw the difference in the game was that Cadeau was willing to dive face first for balls, our guys were not. They were trying to deflect every ball, we were face guarding and putting little pressure on the ball. I also saw that only Flip seemed to take it personal. Perfect ingredients for an L against a quality team.

Unfortunately that was before Duke/Unc game. His ranking was at 6:00 PM. I think as of now we are one of the last 3 seeds and UK has jumped Duke.

Mitchell was playing well only a few games ago. Not sure what has happened but I'm not giving up on him. We need him.
Who have we played lately? State, Virginia, Louisville, Wake, None of them are contenders. I want him to play well too, but we can’t let the fact he plays for Duke keep us from saying what’s painfully obvious. Which is, he brings little offense to the table.

And that hurts the team. Our bench, other than Power, brings no more offense than he does.

I wouldn't count on Davis being gone.

3 or 4.
Greenberg is saying we don't show up against very good teams. Other than Baylor. A lot of people hear this. I think we are a 3 unless we don't make the finals this week.

We missed a huge opportunity to jump up in the rankings with Iowa state and Tennessee losing and Arizona currently down by 10 to USC with 8 minutes left in the game. Smh

Reactions: christophero
Are we the Dallas cowboys of CBB? Look good against bad to average teams but then can't win against good teams?
We are a good team who could have erased that perception tonight. Make a run in the tournament and we prove them wrong. The ACC seems down this year. I'm too tired to debate this lol. We just need to beat a few good teams come tournament time.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
To be fair, ACC only has two contenders and Mitchell has played decent the last 5 games. 11 and 6 is not great, but for from being the issue. What other option do we have outside of Mark to play legitimate minutes? Odd comment to focus on our last handful of games as not playing contenders.

Foster is hurt. Sean has all the potential in the world, but he cannot log 25 minutes a game just yet.

I really dislike the crazies throwing water, gum and things at the players after the game.

A sign of the times I guess but I feel like that wouldn’t have happened under Coach K.

It’s sad this is where we are as a society…..
I think this is part of the problem. I keep finding myself saying “That would never happen under K”. Scheyer has to be his own man of course. However, I wish he would have at least picked up some things from K. Mark Mitchell dunking and pointing at the Georgia Tech player is stilled singed into my brain. I can’t believe we have a player that unaware in a Duke uniform. That would 100% never happen under K. And then last night, I thought I was watching retro Duke teams. The only problem is they were wearing Carolina Blue. I just don’t see the hustle for loose balls and reckless abandonment I used to see.

I hope we can turn it around but I’m not very optimistic at this point.

I think this is part of the problem. I keep finding myself saying “That would never happen under K”. Scheyer has to be his own man of course. However, I wish he would have at least picked up some things from K. Mark Mitchell dunking and pointing at the Georgia Tech player is stilled singed into my brain. I can’t believe we have a player that unaware in a Duke uniform. That would 100% never happen under K. And then last night, I thought I was watching retro Duke teams. The only problem is they were wearing Carolina Blue. I just don’t see the hustle for loose balls and reckless abandonment I used to see.

I hope we can turn it around but I’m not very optimistic at this point.
Hard to watch a team get punched in the mouth as many times as Duke has this year. By good and bad teams.

If none of them can get "play with my hair on fire" up for THAT game, senior day, share of ACC title at stake, revenge for earlier loss, etc, etc....then it's never going to happen.

Just gotta hope the teams they play going forward don't come out with that kind of intensity, I guess.

The most disappointing thing to me is starting the game exactly like we started the first. And we are at home on Senior night….

I’m not sure exactly how you come out and get pushed around, beaten to lose balls, and just overall punched in the mouth.

It’s exactly how the first game went. Both games where essentially over before we even get to the first TV timeout.

That’s just unacceptable…..

We do fight so I guess that’s a positive….we don’t roll over and lose by 30 which could happen easily in both situations.

Overall I just see a deterioration in small things that matter….

1) Overall toughness
2) Hustle
3) Things like Mark pointing at guys, Flip always whining…
4) Fans throwing things….

K would have grabbed the microphone last night and laid into the crazies…..but I’m sure that wouldn’t have happened either with him.

I don’t know….overall it just doesn’t feel like Duke standards. It feels like there is a cheapening of them at least to me….

It kinda makes me sad somewhat.

I’d also add….I think it’s even worse that K was there….

As a coach myself….I for one would have been embarrassed if my team and fans played and acted like they did last night….

I’m not saying everyone is the same….but I wouldn’t have slept last night it would have really bothered and embarrassed me in front of my mentor…..

Reactions: jamsession2
I'm sure we will make a run but are we intimidated by these guys or something?
@christophero I really think you're on to something. Seems like they can flip a switch against us and go into another gear doesn't it?? I definitely think there's something to be said for the average age disparity between these two teams. I think the "Men vs Boys" argument has already been made, and that's basically it.

What bothers me is The Cheats appear way more jacked up for these nationally acclaimed rivalry games than Duke. They play like they MUST WIN. We play more like it would be NICE TO WIN, but we're not as bothered by the outcome if we lose.

Yes I do think there is a degree of intimidation at work here. Until Duke's recruiting/transfer/NIL philosophy changes, this could stay in place a while.

Now, all of the above is just speculation from bitter old man who's hated the losses to UNC this year. Feel free to take aim, but I think @christophero really has a valid point.

OFC

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT