ADVERTISEMENT

Official gameday thread- Duke vs UNC v2

Next years mercenaries won’t be any better. Unc will be older and

No you stop it . I’m so tired of fair weather fans . This kid did nothing on senior night not to mention he is getting paid off his name in a Duke jersey . This isn’t college basketball this is the minor league ! Stop acting like the rivalry meant more to them . I’d take five Cooks more then I would this performance at home and if anyone thought UNC was the better team I call bull !
This clown calling someone else a fair weather fan is pure comedy gold

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe this team can still make a run. But we could not stop them tonight. Or the last game. And it seems like it's always (fill in blank) having a "lucky" career night against us.

Reactions: jeffrey236
No you are . I’m so tired of some posters trying to back kids that aren’t getting paid ! Three years ago I would agree but I can’t now . A sophomore and freshman literally exposed him . Who did he stop ? Cadeau or Trimble ? Did he show out ? Nope !
Roach gave us everything for four years. That's some straight up bullshit and you're better than that. Don't be that guy.

Soft soft candy A team. Carolina is just better but most of these guys just didn’t bring it. Proud of Flip in the second half and McCain was solid..but the fact our guard play gives up so much in TO’s at key moments and on the D end is alarming. We just aren’t going to beat any sort of physical teams.

And no unfortunately roach is no cook but I’d take him back next year
He isn’t coming back

Roach gave us everything for four years. That's some straight up bullshit and you're better than that. Don't be that guy.
Yes he did except tonight . Cook left it all out there. Roach didn’t . Sorry but I Can not say he gave his all . I’ve been harsh on Flip but I think he put it all out there looking to the league .

The first half was awful, particularly the first 12-15 minutes. We have to be tough for 40 minutes, not 25. Playing soft for a half won’t cut it against any solid team.

We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot every time we crawled back. I like Roach, and he’s been a steady player, but in these tight games he either fumbles the ball away or forces shots in traffic. And it seems like it happens at critical times too.

I read a comment on here where someone said Young is killing us. One of the worst posts of the night. Young missed a few shots, but Mitchell did nothing. He’s one of our core guys, and was a non factor. Had he done anything positive, Young wouldn’t have been in as much as he was.

And who would have thought Cormac would have the game of his career.

Hard excuses. Scheyer could build his teams like that if he wanted to. Instead of going for a mixture he actively chooses to rely on talented freshman which hasn’t worked in years.

The whole academics point you bring up is also ridiculous and just an opinion. That’s not what’s turning transfers away
Yes it was said tongue in cheek. It’s sad we can’t entice a hard nosed upper classmen to want to join Duke and win. Covid has made this gap even more glaring as kids have to play against true grown men. 18 years olds vs 26 year olds. Every guy out here knows what old man strength is. We need to have 1-3 stud freshman and fill in gaps with legit transfers. Each year of Bacots 10 year career unc has had a plug and play legit transfer and we get won’t shoot from 10 feet Ryan young.

Reactions: ioliva
Comon guys this sucks but let's not turn on each other. There is still season left, and we are probably a 4 seed at worst. And we would be DAMN LUCKY to get Roach and Mitchell back next year, regardless of how they played tonight. We need upperclassman or it's going to be the same **** next year.
There’s no place for mark on next years team. He’s an absolute waste on offense that ruins spacing and is a stronger leaky black

This game was basically over 5 minutes in. That is inexcusable, and Jon should be asked about it. And say more than "we've got to be better." He's in the big chair now.

Reactions: sheyduke
I'm still perplexed how a Duke defender stood on Elliot Cadeau's foot on his miracle shot and no foul was called.

Next year is it but unc will be older and better again
College sports have changed…..Scheyer can literally go out and get whomever he wants if he has the money.

Hell a women’s team can go recruit Bacot if they wanted…..you have to play the game now.

No reason to let the portal pass you by….

This game was basically over 5 minutes in. That is inexcusable, and Jon should be asked about it. And say more than "we've got to be better." He's in the big chair now.
Happened game 1 also….both games were essentially over before the first TV timeout….

Reactions: jonesdd2g
Yeah the way they started tonight is inexcusable and embarrassing. That is what lost the game going down 15 points. Realistically I don’t think Duke get out of the first weekend of the tournament again. I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
Better team due to age and experience. Grown men literally playing 5 plus years of college basketball. Time for the extra Covid year to go away.
I am not into all the excuses. Duke gets some of the best players every year. Everyone is playing under the same rules in terms of the extra Covid year. Nobody is going to be sad for Duke because our players leave, because they are often talented enough to leave. This is the route we have chosen in terms of recruiting so we just need to suck it up and get it done or don’t. Carolina is the better team, thats all. They are the better team. No qualifiers.

Yeah the way they started tonight is inexcusable and embarrassing. That is what lost the game going down 15 points.
Exactly….Especially after game one. They did the exact same thing and we came out totally unprepared for the physicality and their speed.

It was over before it almost even started….again….

We are not good enough to fight back down fifteen to twenty points each time.

Just saw a post that Cormac Ryan is practiy the same age as Jayson Tatum. What a joke
We could have recruited him….Not saying we should have….but coaches are going to have to figure this out and play the game in the portal.

The entire landscape is different….even keeping guys doesn’t mean what it used to because you can turn over an entire team if you want to.

Them getting loose balls again was what surprised me. No way Battier stands for that ****
We didn't come out swinging, and that bothers me more than the score.

Reactions: sheyduke
This game was all about toughness and which coach got it out of his kids for 40 minutes, and which one didn’t. The mental/motivation part is where Jon has got to improve.
Hubert had an awful year two. Time will tell if he continues to instill toughness in his teams, but this one has it. In my opinion, Jon didn’t learn anything from the Tennessee game, or the players aren’t getting his message. Either way, it falls on him to correct it.

Flip had an excellent second half, 19 points. But I want to know why he doesn’t put two haves together. Why is there such a gap in his play? He could have gone for 30 or more. And Mitchell? I’m sorry, but he needs to play the rest of the season like his ass is on fire.

One could argue recruiting High School kids at all is no longer the way to go in college sports…..

I’d rather go find me a 20+ year old and a bunch of them that have been developed…you have years of college game tape on….are bigger and stronger than 18 year olds etc….

Give me them against your 18-20 year olds and I will beat you most of the time.

One could argue recruiting High School kids at all is no longer the way to go in college sports…..

I’d rather go find me a 20+ year old and a bunch of them that have been developed…you have years of college game tape on….are bigger and stronger than 18 year olds etc….

Give me them against your 18-20 year olds and I will beat you most of the time.
It depends. No matter how older, most players aren’t going to be better than a Zion, Banchero, Keels, etc

I think you just need to recruit “physically” developed players, whether they are freshmen or through the portal. Probably makes no sense to recruit a talented high school kid that needs to get bigger and stronger because they probably wont be around long enough to do so, but kids already developed like a Barrett or even Jay Williams when he came in is what you want.

If Flip, Mitchell, and Young go, that's arguably our 3 toughest guys. (Maybe Stewart) So I'm not sure we will be tougher next year. Evans and Cooper look like little kids. (I get they are good) That's why I want Mitchell back, for that and other reasons.

If Flip, Mitchell, and Young go, that's arguably our 3 toughest guys. (Maybe Stewart) So I'm not sure we will be tougher next year. Evans and Cooper look like little kids. (I get they are good) That's why I want Mitchell back, for that and other reasons.
Mitchell keeps us playing Five vs Four always…. Not ideal in todays game.

He can’t break a defense down
He can’t score consistently on the low block
He can’t shoot a lick
He’s an above average defender

He’s a liability for any team when he’s on the floor unless you are considerably better than the team you are playing.

Saw a post where Flip and Mitchell were called out for not playing with "fire". Really terrible post. He was a warrior and played like one tonight.

We just got outplayed. Onto the next and I think we have a good run on front of us. Let's go Duke!

Last edited:
You like that nobody guards him and sluffs off into the lane clogging everything up for the guards to penetrate or any of the bigs to operate?
I disagree on Mitchell. Obviously he has not played well the last few games but I like his game. Remember he missed most of the spring and summer.

Saw a post where Flip and Mitchell were called out for not playing with "fire". Really terrible post. He was a warrior and played like one tonight.

We just got outplayed. Onto the next and I think we have a good run on front of us. Let's go Duke!
Flip could get suspended for his trip….it probably won’t happen but it should.

Reactions: DaveChapelle
I really dislike the crazies throwing water, gum and things at the players after the game.

A sign of the times I guess but I feel like that wouldn’t have happened under Coach K.

It’s sad this is where we are as a society…..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT