ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Iowa

As sloppy and awful as we’ve looked every so often this team is definitely getting better. You can see flashes of proctor and roach understanding what they need to do for each other

That an Iowa can really be terrible too loo

Mitchell is our x factor. We go to another level when he plays well. 16 point lead. We look great. I see improvement from Whitehead. Lively is just too timid for a game like this. At least right now. Young is being a warrior.

Reactions: youngman42
Scheyer is trying to make it to the up coming break so instead of game prep Whitehead actually gets to practice . You can see his conditioning needs more work. Mitchell is always going to score better when he attacks the basket . The more he realizes he’s either going to get fouled, blocked or simply get two points the better he will play. Lively simply needs to quit playing like he’s in a glass house .

Really liked what I saw for 90% of the game.
Whitehead is definitely looking better each game, he just seems a bit bouncier, quicker, faster than other guys.
Mitchell was awesome!! So proud of him.
Proctor is special, and can make passes/reads nobody else can.
Roach has been looking fantastic. A few layup that rolled off that could have easily gone in.
Flip - not his best game, but a double double, oh no 😄
Lively - Fouls a lot, really rooting for him. It's nice to know that we also have depth at the center.
Young - I like Ryan Young.

We had a lineup for a bit with all freshmen - that is a huge lineup.

Loved the multiple possessions with multiple offensive rebounds/kickouts

I really enjoy this Duke team, and the way they play defense, rebound, and Scheyer's depth and rotations so far. Also loving how they seem to be improving each game. I know there will be some rough games and freshmen moments throughout the season, but so far this is one of my favorite Duke teams in recent memory. Really happy to be a Duke fan and excited to see more growth this season.

Also quick side note - Dickie V - I grew up listening to him call games, and I'm glad he is cancer-free, but holy sh** I had to mute the game at multiple points tonight. I don't care one bit about Lebron James or Michael Jordan or --insert player from 40 years ago--. And it's not just a quick mention - he rattles on and on and on and on for minutes at a time, about some seriously irrelevant stuff. I want to hear about the game that is on the television at the current moment that I tuned in to watch. I do not care that Lebron James once had a good game in high school. Time to retire, buddy

Is it me, or was the crowd tonight at MSG a little lackluster?
I was at the game. I have been to this event a few times at MSG. Usually the arena is half to 2/3's filled for the first game and packed for the Duke game. Last night, I'm telling you, for the Texas game it was maybe 1/3 full. The entire upper level was pretty much empty. We were surrounded by (dumbass) Texas fans for the first game, and most of the left before the second game. I would say it was maybe 60% full for the Duke game, and it was quiet. Call it the Coach K effect?? I don't know.

Good neutral court win for Duke. From the opening tip they appearing in control, and to me, it never seemed like Iowa had a chance. Iowa looked nervous the entire game. Duke looked confident, and they took care of business. Next!

Love the veteran presence and leadership on this team. To go with the young talent.

Also love our rebounding and defensive play. Duke has never been a very strong rebounding team under K. Helps to have 3 6’11 plus players. Still, good to see.

If we can somehow conjure up 35-40% on 3s and the young players develop we can make a run. Maybe not a title but an elite 8 plus appearance would really help Scheyer. SOOO Hope he succeeds in building his own legacy.

I was at the game. I have been to this event a few times at MSG. Usually the arena is half to 2/3's filled for the first game and packed for the Duke game. Last night, I'm telling you, for the Texas game it was maybe 1/3 full. The entire upper level was pretty much empty. We were surrounded by (dumbass) Texas fans for the first game, and most of the left before the second game. I would say it was maybe 60% full for the Duke game, and it was quiet. Call it the Coach K effect?? I don't know.

Good neutral court win for Duke. From the opening tip they appearing in control, and to me, it never seemed like Iowa had a chance. Iowa looked nervous the entire game. Duke looked confident, and they took care of business. Next!
probably a combination of a few things. No Coach K. We don’t have a must see superstar this year like we have almost every year recently. Iowa not a national marquee opponent.

Really liked what I saw for 90% of the game.
Whitehead is definitely looking better each game, he just seems a bit bouncier, quicker, faster than other guys.
Mitchell was awesome!! So proud of him.
Proctor is special, and can make passes/reads nobody else can.
Roach has been looking fantastic. A few layup that rolled off that could have easily gone in.
Flip - not his best game, but a double double, oh no 😄
Lively - Fouls a lot, really rooting for him. It's nice to know that we also have depth at the center.
Young - I like Ryan Young.

We had a lineup for a bit with all freshmen - that is a huge lineup.

Loved the multiple possessions with multiple offensive rebounds/kickouts

I really enjoy this Duke team, and the way they play defense, rebound, and Scheyer's depth and rotations so far. Also loving how they seem to be improving each game. I know there will be some rough games and freshmen moments throughout the season, but so far this is one of my favorite Duke teams in recent memory. Really happy to be a Duke fan and excited to see more growth this season.

Also quick side note - Dickie V - I grew up listening to him call games, and I'm glad he is cancer-free, but holy sh** I had to mute the game at multiple points tonight. I don't care one bit about Lebron James or Michael Jordan or --insert player from 40 years ago--. And it's not just a quick mention - he rattles on and on and on and on for minutes at a time, about some seriously irrelevant stuff. I want to hear about the game that is on the television at the current moment that I tuned in to watch. I do not care that Lebron James once had a good game in high school. Time to retire, buddy
All good points. Re Dick I tried to be more patient last night given that it was the Jimmie V challenge but you can only take so much. Shulman used to get him back on track focusing on the game somewhat but last night was brutal. They were constantly dropping a terd in the punch bowl last night

Didnt see much of the game but from what I did see it looked like we are starting to see cohesion and roles from the 5 we put on the floor and a commitment from the whole squad to play defense. We havent quite fallen out of love with the 3 but at least we've stopped putting it first....

For those who watched the game at home: Dan Shulman is a great analyst but does it seem like he always gets ***emphatic***when a call goes Duke way that the opposing coach/player thinks the refs got it wrong but never does that for Duke? “The [insert opposing coach/player/fans here] didn’t like the call and they may have a right/reason!” Like they (production team) will analyze a play 2-3 times in slow motion, Zapruder-esque ways to drive home the point the call was bad when Duke benefits from it but never do the opposite. Again, refs miss calls all the time on both sides (thank God we didn’t have Roger Ayers last night), but what do you think?

If I’m trippin, let me know cause I can be wrong and clouded by my Duke bias. Good hearing Dicky V on the call as well!

Last edited:
Love how this team never let go of the lead. There were certainly some frustrating moments: end of the first half mainly, but glad we took control in the 2nd half.

-Mitchell was a man last night. More important than his scoring, he took Murray completely out of the game. No doubt in my mind that NBA scouts noticed this, which could be bad for next season. He needs to be our defensive ace and keep attacking the rim.
-Roach was the best player on the floor, him and Proctor are starting to develop a nice cohesion together. You could see it with the way they pass to each other.
-Feel like Flip needs to let the game come to him. He forced shots early in both halves. Not a huge fan of him dribbling 25 feet beyond the hoop either. Regardless, we need his double doubles every game.
-Whitehead looks closer to getting to where he needs to be. You could see the athleticism in flashes, reminds me of the Jayson Tatum Duke season to this point.

As good as Flip has been, he misses a lot of shots. Seems like he is 4-12 every game. Still; he is having a great year.
He dribbles a bit too much, I’m always worried he is gonna travel with the ball. He also needs to quit shooting the post up fade-away, he isn’t Paolo.

However, I love his 3 point stroke when he’s open, and he can do damage inside. His defense has been much better than I expected, just needs to simplify his game a bit. Felt like last night he made a few selfish plays because of all the NBA scouts in attendance.

No doubt Flip felt empowered by his early games and the coaches are reluctant to dial him back. Hopefully he'll figure out what he does best and eliminate the rest, i.e., the dribble spin in the lane which usually results in a fast break the other way.

It must feel good to be able to get a decent shot anytime you want like Flip can. I never knew that feeling. I was never open!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT