ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Iowa

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
“Start spreading the news… I’m leaving today… I want to be a part of it.. New York, New York”

Duke vs Iowa in the meca of basketball. Madison Square Garden for the Jimmy V classic. Tip time is set for 930 with duke currently being a 2.5 point favorite, but with a game before us I’d venture to say we don’t tip till much later. We seem to be playing a lot of the Big 10 so let’s hope we end with a winning record against them

Iowa is 6-1 with no big wins to speak of but have beaten clemson and GT. They are coached by everyone’s high school principal- Fran McCaffery who I was stunned to see has been a college basketball coach for 40 years with 26 of those being a head coach. Before his 12 years at Iowa he was the coach of sienna and before that I was surprised to know he was at UNC Greensboro. He spent time at Notre Dame as an assistant for digger Phelps but even before that he was the YOUNGEST D1 head coach at 26 yrs old at Lehigh.

Duke comes out with another win-

Duke- 80
Iowa- 62

Duke by ten and continue to feed the post and move the ball.

Iowa is a quality team that looks tough on paper, and they should give us a really good game. We have a big size advantage, so as long as they don't get blistering hot from 3 which is unlikely in a big arena like MSG, and as long as we rebound, I like Duke in this one.

As an early Christmas present my wife got two of my sons and me tickets, so we will be there. Let's go Duke!

Duke 74
Iowa 66

Don't know much about the current Iowa team other than they have Keegan Murray's brother. But from years past, they always had good outside shooters and I doubt things have changed. If so, we need to defend the outside shot the best we can. Still waiting for Lively and Dariq to have that breakout game. Maybe they can do that under the bright lights at MSG?
Just win!!!

How good is Iowa? They are ranked around 25th that is all I know.
I have not seen them play, but their stats are quite good and they have some decent wins. It looks like they play smaller, but shoot the ball and rebound well. Should be a good test, but Duke's got this.

Reactions: christophero
How good is Iowa? They are ranked around 25th that is all I know.
Have to contain Murray. He’s their leading scorer and rebounds well. Six players average double figures and from the look at stats they move the ball very well. Going to be interesting to see how Dukes defense holds .

They’re

#1 in assist to TO ratio
#12 in assist per game
#39 in effective FG%
#15 in fast break points
#16 in turnover %

They play 4 forwards and 1 guard. Will be an interesting match up, a tough one.

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke by 17. They’re playing well right now. Flip will have another big game. Lively will have a double-double followed by Dariq, Roach, and Whitehead all in double figures.

Duke - 80
Iowa - 63

Reactions: pisgah101
Duke by 17. They’re playing well right now. Flip will have another big game. Lively will have a double-double followed by Dariq, Roach, and Whitehead all in double figures.

Duke - 80
Iowa - 63
Pass me what you’re smoking bro!!

Reactions: Dad2ze
Illinois knocks off Texas in game one.
Sports Illustrated has a pic of Banchero for the Iowa Duke game. Well done geniuses.

Last edited:
11-5 lead! Roach with 5, Proctor 4. Mitchell with good D on Murray so far. Now 11-9.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dad2ze
Grandison with a 3 ! Someone wake up Shey. Whitehead with a 3. 2 point game now. Our bigs haven't done much so far. This one's gonna be a grinder.

Last edited:
This team doesn’t seem to like to pull away from their opponents. 6-8 point lead? Let up a bit lol.

They're zoning us. Have to penetrate the zone.
Blakes certainly ain't shy.
Mitchell with a solid half.
Young going to work with the lunch pail.
Roach balling out with 11.
12 point lead.

Last edited:
Grandison with a 3 ! Someone wake up Shey. Whitehead with a 3. 2 point game now. Our bigs haven't done much so far. This one's gonna be a grinder.
I’m still waiting for him to decide if he wants to shoot that wide open three. There was literally no one around him and I was like ,” are you going to shoot it or wait on the defense !”

We couldn’t have played the last three minutes any worse. Everyone became an iso dribbler and we totally deserved what we got. Beyond Frustrating watching all that….

Some of the things we do on offense baffles me . One minute we look good next minute Duke goes ISO .

Ehhh we kind of let them back in it. Still a solid first half, 6 point lead. They seem to be keying on Flip, who is struggling.

Until Lively and Whitehead start giving us more we are going to struggle to pull away from teams. We just don't have the firepower. Let's just grind out a win.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I love seeing Dick Vitale back out there. Dickie V's doc on ESPN+ is fantastic. If you haven't watched it yet, do yourself a favor and check it out. Also, have tissues handy; very emotional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT