ADVERTISEMENT

NC State

Duke1783

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 23, 2017
I’m watching the State vs UNC game and it got me thinking. For State, the games against Duke and UNC mean more to them then it does for us and UNC. It’s like a national championship game whereas it’s just another game for us and NC. Joel Berry even said as much last week when he said it’s not a rivalry game for us and as for Duke we all know who our rival is. Same thing we thought about Maryland (they never were our rivals). NC State always overachieved when playing against Duke and Carolina. It shows in the tournament when they always crap out as a 6 seed

Even though Maryland wasn't a true rival, I sure miss that match up. There were some great games played over the years.

One good thing about the ACC is witnessing all these awesome games. I’ve lived in the triad my whole life and being apart of College hoops in this area every since I can remember. Still a huge fan of the home-Home schedule, that made every game a rivalry. The games we have witnessed over the years has been unreal.. Looks like another one brewing right now.

Even though Maryland wasn't a true rival, I sure miss that match up. There were some great games played over the years.
I’m suprised to committee hasn’t tried to pair us up in the tourney. At least not that I remember

I’m suprised to committee hasn’t tried to pair us up in the tourney. At least not that I remember
I think it would have happened in 2016 if both Duke and Maryland made the final four... it was Sheed's last year at MD...

I’m surprised that Carolina played this well today, after the quick turnaround. But it is another rivalry game for them. Not hard to get up for those.

I think it would have happened in 2016 if both Duke and Maryland made the final four... it was Sheed's last year at MD...
I’m with K as far as the Acc/Big 10 goes and not wanting to play them. Playing us is exposure they don’t deserve. I love that they are a middle to lower tier team in the Big 10

They may not be rivals, but I can tell you from reading what fans say on FB and in real life, they hate losing to State more than Duke. The rivalry with Duke is so big that they know that losses will happen, but they beat State more often than not, so a loss to NC State pisses off your average UNC fan a lot more.

The Holes are better than I gave them credit for. Maye is too. Roy is doing a good job with this bunch, and believe me I despise them, and hate admitting it, but that's a fact. I don't care that Maye was a walk on or a "preferred" walk on. He maxes out his talent, and we should at least admit that.
Maybe a lot of Duke fans will give Maye the credit he deserves. The kid is all acc. I remember reading the other day some saying Bagley would kill him in a one on one game. Who gives a fat baby's a**! He had 15, his team won, and today he had what 30+ points.

Reactions: germantondevil
State/Unc is a huge rivalry. Mostly with fans. Wish y’all could be at my building come Monday. It’s war when it comes to any games played around the Triad. Got mine out the way Friday. State Fans will get there’s Monday. That’s a guarantee

They may not be rivals, but I can tell you from reading what fans say on FB and in real life, they hate losing to State more than Duke. The rivalry with Duke is so big that they know that losses will happen, but they beat State more often than not, so a loss to NC State pisses off your average UNC fan a lot more.

My take is that the UNC-State rivalry is much stronger for the older generation who can remember David Thompson, Towe, and Burleson, etc. Remember during those times Duke was not an elite team. With the younger group it is obviously the recent history of Duke and the fact they always seem to be great games no matter who is ranked or unranked. And during those recent times let's face it NC State has had a few good years but more meaningless ones.

State/Unc is a huge rivalry. Mostly with fans. Wish y’all could be at my building come Monday. It’s war when it comes to any games played around the Triad. Got mine out the way Friday. State Fans will get there’s Monday. That’s a guarantee

I don’t care how huge it is, it’s a joke. Completely one sided. Nobody nationally really cares about that matchup.

My take is that the UNC-State rivalry is much stronger for the older generation who can remember David Thompson, Towe, and Burleson, etc. Remember during those times Duke was not an elite team. With the younger group it is obviously the recent history of Duke and the fact they always seem to be great games no matter who is ranked or unranked. And during those recent times let's face it NC State has had a few good years but more meaningless ones.

I remember when Wake and State were Duke’s rival while Dean was being hung in effigy.

The Holes are better than I gave them credit for. Maye is too. Roy is doing a good job with this bunch, and believe me I despise them, and hate admitting it, but that's a fact. I don't care that Maye was a walk on or a "preferred" walk on. He maxes out his talent, and we should at least admit that.
Maybe a lot of Duke fans will give Maye the credit he deserves. The kid is all acc. I remember reading the other day some saying Bagley would kill him in a one on one game. Who gives a fat baby's a**! He had 15, his team won, and today he had what 30+ points.

No, Maye gets exactly the credit he deserves. Check their games this year. Nearly every single game against a ranked team, he averaged 7 points per game with those being his best stats. The Duke game is one of the only ranked teams that he did well against. His best games were during conference have been against Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, NC State (both games) and then the game against us the other day. Other than that he does mediocre if not bad the rest of the time they play anyone decent.

Reactions: hart2chesson
No, Maye gets exactly the credit he deserves. Check their games this year. Nearly every single game against a ranked team, he averaged 7 points per game with those being his best stats. The Duke game is one of the only ranked teams that he did well against. His best games were during conference have been against Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, NC State (both games) and then the game against us the other day. Other than that he does mediocre if not bad the rest of the time they play anyone decent.
Man what are you talking about. I never would have thought so last season but he will likely be 1st team all ACC and probably considered by some as ACC POY. Big Bird Luke Maye was just a decent high school player who has become an amazing college player and I certainly wish he was a Blue Devil. He is by far the most overachieving player in the ACC.

Reactions: Archer2

Yep. Roy would never likely admit it in such a straightforward manner but he hates State. With Duke there is a mutual respect. Roy grew up in Carolina during the era you referenced and coached during the late 70s-80s. K was rounding Duke into an elite program right near the end of Roy’s tenure as an assistant. For the fans around Roy’s age there is real hate for State.

I'm a pretty young guy. Growing up and starting to root for UNC, Duke was the team you wanted to beat. State was an afterthought. I understand it's different for those who are older who watched college hoops in the 70s and 80s. But I feel like a rivalry is when both teams are pretty equal in terms of historic success and are good year after year when they play each other.

State just doesn't come anywhere close in the last 30 years.

Reactions: skysdad
. I really have a feeling that Coach Keatts is not a joke. He could be the piece that rebuilds this program. He has done a hell of a job thus far. I don’t believe they were picked to win many games this year. They have three signature wins along with pushing for a 20 win season. Not a bad resume for year 1.
I think you are right. My dad is a State grad and we watched the game yesterday together. Even though State lost, he was really excited with the brand of ball that Keats has them playing. I have to admit that he gets those guys up for these games and it was a great game to watch. I hope he is the real deal, as a good State team is good for the ACC.

Man what are you talking about. I never would have thought so last season but he will likely be 1st team all ACC and probably considered by some as ACC POY. Big Bird Luke Maye was just a decent high school player who has become an amazing college player and I certainly wish he was a Blue Devil. He is by far the most overachieving player in the ACC.

I just said to look at the stats of the games UNC has played this year. His most impressive games were against UNC's lowest ranked opponents aside from NC State and Duke. Literally, every other big game for Luke against this year was against teams like Wofford, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and other low ranked teams. I don't care how much he's improved since high school. That makes no difference in how he looks this season.

I just said to look at the stats of the games UNC has played this year. His most impressive games were against UNC's lowest ranked opponents aside from NC State and Duke. Literally, every other big game for Luke against this year was against teams like Wofford, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and other low ranked teams. I don't care how much he's improved since high school. That makes no difference in how he looks this season.
He looks damn good to me as he does to almost all unbiased thinkers.

Luke Maye isn't the the most explosive athlete in the gym. But man does he hustle and Clint even said that he noticed in high school he would outwork a lot of players with superior athletic talent.

I know it's funny when a certain someone compares him to Larry Bird. That being said, I can safely say I've never been happier to say I was wrong about a player. He's a hell of a player and I'm thankful he's on my team.

Maye's having a great year and his success is pretty critical to UNC. They have other good shooters, but in several of the losses his shooting was well off:
MSU 3-13, UVA 2-10, Wofford 4-16, Clemson 2-8.
He has become a stalwart though and first teamer ALL-ACC most likely player. OFC

Reactions: GillJET
He looks damn good to me as he does to almost all unbiased thinkers.

So because I'm a Duke fan and I'm not praising a UNC player it means I'm biased? Yeah the kid is a good basketball player, but he's not some huge UNC player and a force on the court like people are making him out to be. Even UNC fans are heralding the guy as one of the top players over the last decade in UNC. He's not. I can name 10 or so players way better than him from just the past five seasons. He only looks as good as he does because of the players around him (minus Pinson and Berry who are light years ahead of him).

What this looks like to me is more like people who spent years dragging Luke through the mud on this board and now that he has a few big games, they feel bad and he's suddenly this big force? I'll say it again....look at the games where he's done great and the ones where he's bombed and it will explain everything.

You keep responding to what I'm saying here but you're not actually refuting anything I'm saying. You've essentially said he is better than he was in high school and he's bound to win awards.

Also, I'm not biased. I may not post it on here, but I am very critical of the mistakes Duke makes and have no issue admitting them and I have praised UNC players before. The closest I get to being biased is never admitting that UNC is the better overall team. If that's biased, then I'm guilty as charged!

Reactions: hart2chesson
So because I'm a Duke fan and I'm not praising a UNC player it means I'm biased? Yeah the kid is a good basketball player, but he's not some huge UNC player and a force on the court like people are making him out to be. Even UNC fans are heralding the guy as one of the top players over the last decade in UNC. He's not. I can name 10 or so players way better than him from just the past five seasons. He only looks as good as he does because of the players around him (minus Pinson and Berry who are light years ahead of him).

What this looks like to me is more like people who spent years dragging Luke through the mud on this board and now that he has a few big games, they feel bad and he's suddenly this big force? I'll say it again....look at the games where he's done great and the ones where he's bombed and it will explain everything.

You keep responding to what I'm saying here but you're not actually refuting anything I'm saying. You've essentially said he is better than he was in high school and he's bound to win awards.

Also, I'm not biased. I may not post it on here, but I am very critical of the mistakes Duke makes and have no issue admitting them and I have praised UNC players before. The closest I get to being biased is never admitting that UNC is the better overall team. If that's biased, then I'm guilty as charged!
Where are UNC fans saying Maye is one of the best players in the last decade?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT