ADVERTISEMENT

NC State

So because I'm a Duke fan and I'm not praising a UNC player it means I'm biased? Yeah the kid is a good basketball player, but he's not some huge UNC player and a force on the court like people are making him out to be. Even UNC fans are heralding the guy as one of the top players over the last decade in UNC. He's not. I can name 10 or so players way better than him from just the past five seasons. He only looks as good as he does because of the players around him (minus Pinson and Berry who are light years ahead of him).

What this looks like to me is more like people who spent years dragging Luke through the mud on this board and now that he has a few big games, they feel bad and he's suddenly this big force? I'll say it again....look at the games where he's done great and the ones where he's bombed and it will explain everything.

Where are UNC fans heralding him as such?

And to suggest he's only as good as he is because of Berry and Pinson? Really? The young man is averaging a double-double on the season....over 25 games. It's not anything that's made up. And you essentially proved how important and valuable he is by listing the games where he's struggled....those have all been losses. That's precisely how important he is to their success. If he doesn't play well, it lessens their chances of winning significantly.

I listed those games where he's "struggled," as referenced all losses. I DO think that underscores his value to the North Carolina team over the course of a season. Cant argue w/his success one iota, but when a UNC friend approaches me and wants to compare him to Larry Bird, I just smile....

OFC

Reactions: GillJET
in college basketball luke maye is the truth and at this point of time, that's all that matters

Where are UNC fans heralding him as such?

And to suggest he's only as good as he is because of Berry and Pinson? Really? The young man is averaging a double-double on the season....over 25 games. It's not anything that's made up. And you essentially proved how important and valuable he is by listing the games where he's struggled....those have all been losses. That's precisely how important he is to their success. If he doesn't play well, it lessens their chances of winning significantly.

I see it on THR. They've been praising him the entire time we've been bashing him. I get this idea of how UNC fans feel towards him and even talking about him as a top player from Facebook posts of UNC fans and alum who live here in NC and those who went to Chapel Hill or even those who currently attend.

All of his games where he struggled were not in games where the team lost. I just gave quick examples, I didn't give some full list. For a quick example, Luke kept them in the game against Wofford, so no he didn't struggle in only losing efforts. But please explain why a guy who struggles against ranked teams but does great against unranked and oftentimes bad teams should be given credit for being a really good basketball player? Shouldn't everyone on the team be doing great against unranked, oftentimes bad teams?

Last edited:
I see it on THR. They've been praising him the entire time we've been bashing him. I get this idea of how UNC fans feel towards him and even talking about him as a top player from Facebook posts of UNC fans and alum who live here in NC and those who went to Chapel Hill or even those who currently attend.

All of his games where he struggled were not in games where the team lost. I just gave quick examples, I didn't give some full list. For a quick example, Luke kept them in the game against Wofford, so no he didn't struggle in only losing efforts. But please explain why a guy who struggles against ranked teams but does great against unranked and oftentimes bad teams should be given credit for being a really good basketball player? Shouldn't everyone on the team be doing great against unranked, oftentimes bad teams?
What, exactly, are you trying to say?

Regardless, a player doesn't accidentally fall into 19 and 10 for an average. Guys have off nights, but you can't have very many of those and keep up 19/10.

I've explained it more than once what I'm trying to say. His stats are high because of when they play lousy opponents which is where 90% of his best games come from. It's right there on the stats available at ESPN and elsewhere for people to see. That's not the definition of a really good player. You argue that people can have off nights, but yet you ignore the entire other end of the spectrum where most players can also have a huge night as well.

As a fellow Duke fan, I'd think you'd be familiar with players on the opposing team having a huge night from time to time.

My take is that the UNC-State rivalry is much stronger for the older generation who can remember David Thompson, Towe, and Burleson, etc. Remember during those times Duke was not an elite team. With the younger group it is obviously the recent history of Duke and the fact they always seem to be great games no matter who is ranked or unranked. And during those recent times let's face it NC State has had a few good years but more meaningless ones.
I think that is largely accurate. Another thing is that the UNC-duke rivalry extends outside of basketball. UNC and duke have top notch athletic departments and when they meet in sports like LAX, soccer, etc it's almost always a meaningful game. Meaning we are competing for national titles and ACC titles. They don't even field teams in a lot of those sports. There is also the rivalry part that doesn't include sports. It's the private school vs public school, the out of state students vs instate students, etc. All of that makes the overall rivalry bigger than the moo rivalry.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT