ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Williams

Saw this yesterday wouldn’t surprise me either way .

My fear is he is going to leave now. This whole thing just sucks

His posts on social media and Henry leaving would lead me to believe Mark is gone. Admittedly, after the news of Henry transferring out I am very pessimistic at the moment.

Well whomever shows up for practice the first day, I'll root for. Everybody is going to have rent-a-players this coming year. The idea of going to a "school" is apparently dead and gone. College is just the next AAU team.

The rule allowing transfers to be eligible immediately, is it a one time pandemic event or is that a permanent rule change??

I sure hope Mark doesn't leave. That would be a major blow to us. He may enter the draft, but there is no way in hell that enters the transfer portal. After the way he finished the year, I am sure the NBA feedback has been positive. I still feel he will be a Blue Devil next year though!!
OFC

I sure hope Mark doesn't leave. That would be a major blow to us. He may enter the draft, but there is no way in hell that enters the transfer portal. After the way he finished the year, I am sure the NBA feedback has been positive. I still feel he will be a Blue Devil next year though!!
OFC

Mark will be the damn man next season if he comes back. With another year he's a lottery pick. I don't see the benefit of leaving for the draft this year. Having said that, people have left over the last few years that I thought weren't ready, Duval, Frank Jackson, Bolden, and now DJ. At the same time, I don't blame these kids. If I could go get the money and play, I would too.

Reactions: KDSTONE
His posts on social media and Henry leaving would lead me to believe Mark is gone. Admittedly, after the news of Henry transferring out I am very pessimistic at the moment.
If Mark is gone you would think Coleman would have had a heads up . If so it would seem that he would stick with Duke as one of 3 bigs thus getting a good chunk of PT. [I am not counting the Jones kid from Davidson]. Obviously I hope this means Coleman knows Mark is staying.

If Mark is gone you would think Coleman would have had a heads up . If so it would seem that he would stick with Duke as one of 3 bigs thus getting a good chunk of PT. [I am not counting the Jones kid from Davidson]. Obviously I hope this means Coleman knows Mark is staying.

I hope you're right.

We really need Williams to stay. This class was supposed to be building for the future. Now it's just Roach and Williams. Makes me appreciate guys like Moore and Baker. (watch they transfer tomorrow). I had heard rumors of Coleman thinking of leaving but I ignored them. (I guess it seemed impossible). Theo did cut into his minutes. Hardly anyone wants to be a role player anymore. This transfer thing is ruining college basketball.

Mark will be the damn man next season if he comes back. With another year he's a lottery pick. I don't see the benefit of leaving for the draft this year. Having said that, people have left over the last few years that I thought weren't ready, Duval, Frank Jackson, Bolden, and now DJ. At the same time, I don't blame these kids. If I could go get the money and play, I would too.
If they’re close to their potential but with Mark I feel with good minutes for an entire season he could increase his stock and ultimately make more in the long run

Maybe he doesn’t want to play in a loaded front court with Blanchero and Baldwin. With several mock drafts now saying Blanchero is the favorite to be the top pick in the 2022 draft, maybe he wants to go elsewhere and not have to compete with that.

Yo Mark is gonna get his run and be a star if he returns. Banchero just makes him more dangerous. More than anyone we lost this year, he has the opportunity to be a lottery pick. I see great things in his game

Reactions: jeffrey236
Maybe Williams was saying "don't blame me for Henry Coleman transferring." Look at his tweets.

He included a broken-hearted emoji. Could be sad that HC is leaving Duke. Might be something else altogether. Really, I wouldn't put too much stock in messages that don't provide enough context.

The NCAA gave everyone an extra year of eligibility. That was what was the temporary fix.

Yeah, I knew about the extra year. Just like I thought this year was the one time wild west rule for transfers. Apparently not though. The transfer rule doesn't become official until it's ratified next week I believe. This is absolutely horrible for the sport. I think this is way worse than the one and done.

Maybe Williams was saying "don't blame me for Henry Coleman transferring." Look at his tweets.

He included a broken-hearted emoji. Could be sad that HC is leaving Duke. Might be something else altogether. Really, I wouldn't put too much stock in messages that don't provide enough context.

Let's hope he stays. I don't care what emojis he tweets out as long as he stays another year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I don't see anyway Mark isn't starting next season.
I agree that he would definitely be a starter next year, but with the press that has been coming out about Blanchero and Baldwin’s skill, maybe he’s worried about being the 3rd option on Duke’s front court versus the 1st option at a lot of other big time schools.

I'm nearly always sorry to see a player leave the program, but I never saw enough of Coleman to be super impressed. Maybe he will develop in a new program, and I do wish him well. But I would be much more disappointed if we lost Williams. Williams is a proven entity. Yes, he took a while to show it, but I blame that on limited pre-season practice and a cut back schedule. Coleman leaving?? Eh, okay. Williams staying? That's HUGE IMHO!

But I would be much more disappointed if we lost Williams. Williams is a proven entity. Yes, he took a while to show it, but I blame that on limited pre-season practice and a cut back schedule.
took him awhile to show probably because the "Chosen One" was playing ahead of him.

Yeah, I knew about the extra year. Just like I thought this year was the one time wild west rule for transfers. Apparently not though. The transfer rule doesn't become official until it's ratified next week I believe. This is absolutely horrible for the sport. I think this is way worse than the one and done.
Yeah. Why would we want to empower college kids to enjoy the four years most of them will spend playing college ball?

Yeah. Why would we want to empower college kids to enjoy the four years most of them will spend playing college ball?
They’ve always been able to transfer; they sometimes just have to sit out a year My cousin a non athlete transferred from uf to Emory. So many of his credits didn’t transfer he almost lost an entire year. The real world. It has consequences

Reactions: sheyduke
I’ve heard that it’s routine for parents and other hangers on to give the coach an ultimatum: we get this many minutes or we’re gone. I’m guessing coach k or bill self and the top tier don’t hear this as much but I bet even k has heard it before. When they had to sit out a year the relationship between player and coach was more balanced.

I’m optimistic he stays but if he leaves, even the deniers here may start to admit something seriously is amiss within the program at Duke. Time will tell.

Mark should stay and show a more polished offensive game and add some muscle.
It might also have a lot to do with coach James leaving who really worked with him and helped him blossom.
Mark is the starting center from jump next year.

I think Banchero, Griffin, even Baldwin if he comes, makes Mark's job easier and guarantees him shining even if he is the 3rd or 4th option. Banchero means no double teams and opposing bigs worn down instead of Mark being targeted and doubly worn down by doing all of the rebounding and shot blocking.

Baldwin would help spread the floor and pull the defense away from the basket. AJ lends another all round physical presence, rebounding, and D. Aal of this together means less physical and mental pressure on Mark. It means D is scheming for other guys. It means Mark can count on someone else to grab a rebound so he can leak out on the break. Between Theo and Paolo, Mark will be fresh and wont have to pace himself. All of this means easier points for Mark and highlight reel alleyoops on O and easier boards and blocked shots on D. He is going to be a human highlight reel.

I think Banchero, Griffin, even Baldwin if he comes, makes Mark's job easier and guarantees him shining even if he is the 3rd or 4th option. Banchero means no double teams and opposing bigs worn down instead of Mark being targeted and doubly worn down by doing all of the rebounding and shot blocking.
If rebounding is an issue for Duke next season the seasons a wash. Outside of Roach who is 6’1”, our shooting guards ( who ever starts ) are 6’5” or taller , both SF are 6’8” or taller and Paolo, John, Williams ( if he stays) and even Jones are 6’10” or better. That means the smallest player Duke puts on the floor is 6’1”. If Williams job doesn’t become more easy with Paolo and Griffin in then someone is not playing to their potential.

Reactions: Mac9192
took him awhile to show probably because the "Chosen One" was playing ahead of him.
That was a coaching problem. You have a guy that’s 6’9 who had been playing point guard his entire high school career. When you were recruiting him he was playing the point. But for some odd reason you think he all of a sudden can hit college and guard 7 footers and play exclusively off the ball. He wasn’t a scorer. He’s a playmaker and opportunistic scorer. Whoever set the roles last year need be fired. We actually had a top 25 team. We were just coached so badly and unprepared.

That was a coaching problem. You have a guy that’s 6’9 who had been playing point guard his entire high school career. When you were recruiting him he was playing the point. But for some odd reason you think he all of a sudden can hit college and guard 7 footers and play exclusively off the ball. He wasn’t a scorer. He’s a playmaker and opportunistic scorer. Whoever set the roles last year need be fired. We actually had a top 25 team. We were just coached so badly and unprepared.
When coach k retires I hope you’re his replacement

Reactions: Duke1783
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT