ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremy Roach

Do any of you gentlemen think that Roach will have a Tre Jones 2019/2020 kind of year? I know that he had a great tournament, but do you think he can continue it this season?
I certainly think he can continue his progress, and quite frankly I think he could have a year like Tre's sophomore year. A lot will depend on the pieces around him, and how the young talent develops.

OFC

Reactions: Liftee and sheyduke
It’s his team . I think he turns it up a notch but like Hart said it all depends on the players around him .

Reactions: hart2chesson
Toward the end of the season, he looked faster and more agile to me than earlier. The HS injury may have been holding him back mentally and physically. But yes, IMO, he turned a corner and should make a big jump in his Jr, year. I would bet that improving his shooting skill is a top priority for him this off season.

That is the hope. On one hand, he looked good down the stretch, minus the last game. On the other hand, guys don't always have a linear learning curve, and he will have a much bigger role this year and won't have Moore and Williams. He has never been a guy defenses focused on. My guess is he will be 2nd or 3rd team all ACC. But he needs to play well against Love, who has kind of been his Kryptonite. If he plays at a high level and Grandison has a big year that really raises our ceiling. I think Cole Swinder leaving was a big blow to your team. He signed a 2 way deal with the Lakers, but those guys rarely stick. (Teams now get 2 extra spots for these)

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
That is the hope. On one hand, he looked good down the stretch, minus the last game. On the other hand, guys don't always have a linear learning curve, and he will have a much bigger role this year and won't have Moore and Williams. He has never been a guy defenses focused on. My guess is he will be 2nd or 3rd team all ACC. But he needs to play well against Love, who has kind of been his Kryptonite. If he plays at a high level and Grandison has a big year that really raises our ceiling. I think Cole Swinder leaving was a big blow to your team. He signed a 2 way deal with the Lakers, but those guys rarely stick. (Teams now get 2 extra spots for these)
He will stick lol. Lakers have barely any spending room and need shooters for the low.

That 2 way deal worked out great for Hurt.
Hurt couldn’t and still can’t play any defense or move around the basket. Hurt was better suited to play FIBA ball. Worked good for Stewart, Cook, Curry and Stanley .

Looks like we get Ohio State in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. Our guys should really be looking for revenge this year. By our guys I mean Roach.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
Do any of you gentlemen think that Roach will have a Tre Jones 2019/2020 kind of year? I know that he had a great tournament, but do you think he can continue it this season?
Honestly, he’s more talented than Tre imo. @Fourteen44 will remind me of my early season eval, I was not a fan of his till 3/4 through this season, but he is quicker, more athletic, and a better finisher than Tre was in college. Overall, what does that mean going forward? I have no F’ing idea!

Honestly, he’s more talented than Tre imo. @Fourteen44 will remind me of my early season eval, I was not a fan of his till 3/4 through this season, but he is quicker, more athletic, and a better finisher than Tre was in college. Overall, what does that mean going forward? I have no F’ing idea!
Good to see you around, man. You missed one eval - I’ve missed many more 😂

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
One thing is for sure, we cannot afford for Roach to regress. But he certainly seems to have turned a corner. I feel much better with Grandison helping out, but you guys know I love experience. A junior and a 5th year senior in the backcourt should give us some stability.

He also needs to transition from being just another guy to a guy teams try to shut down. The good news is we have other weapons.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Duke had their first summer scrimmage, according to SI. No footage, but Roach is mentioned as the standout. Whitehead and Schutt are mentioned for making some plays, and Blakes for his hustle. Lively and Flip seem to be tight. It was a brief article.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Roach really started coming along towards the 2nd half of February 2021 (his freshman season after trying to get back to 100% from his high school injuries imo). I really did not understand the backlash he was getting from many Duke fans. He kicked it up another notch last season especially in March. I am glad to see Roach succeed. Like many of you, I think he is going to continue to improve! Maybe ala Nolan Smith and Quinn Cook style?

Roach really started coming along towards the 2nd half of February 2021 (his freshman season after trying to get back to 100% from his high school injuries imo). I really did not understand the backlash he was getting from many Duke fans. He kicked it up another notch last season especially in March. I am glad to see Roach succeed. Like many of you, I think he is going to continue to improve! Maybe ala Nolan Smith and Quinn Cook style?
Really wish Tre and Stones would come back and work with the pgs some in the off season . Both were good on D and could run the team and also could show them how to carve a role out in the league.

Off topic but Jack White had 14 and 6 in an NBA summer league game yest. Would be great if he made a team I always liked him. Hurt and Steward had 2 points between them.
White is making money in Australia. Don’t really see him making a roster unless it’s a bottom rotational player. The kid is praised highly by his coaches and teammates.

It is unlikely, but Jack put up those numbers in limited minutes. Still nice to see, he was always one of my favorite players. Even when his shot wasn't falling he always played hard.

I barely remember most of our one and dones to be honest. I will remember Banchero he was great.

Last edited:
I tend to always forget about Big Vern but man was that guy a really good player.
Spot on Jimbo. Also, with a Soph Tre Jones running the point and the rest of the team: Goldwire, Stanley, JROB, Moore, Hurt, O’Connell, Baker, White, and DeLaurier all establishing their roles, I liked their chances to make a deep run. They had beaten Florida State (the acc regular season champs) in their one matchup against them that season.

Nolan Smith absolutely had a break-out junior season. But Cook actually was better as a sophomore than as a junior.
Cook's junior season was a selfish Bluedevils' team. Two guards and two forwards(I won't say any names, but Cook was one) had their eyes set on the NBA, not winning at DUKE! I'm glad 3 out of the 4 left. I love them, but the chemistry was awful.

Reactions: Liftee
It's funny that was a young team at the time but nowadays it would be a fairly experienced one. Junior Quinn Cook, transfer Rodney Hood (essentially a junior), senior Hairston, senior Thornton, sophs Jefferson and Sulaimon, senior Dawkins and soph. Marshall. But the pieces didn't really fit. We didn't really have a center that year.
PS Just read Keels shot 26 percent in 5 games in Vegas. 20 percent from 3. Against pretty average competition. Jack White signed a 2 way contract with the Nuggets. Good job Jack! From what I've read a 2 way contract allows a team to call you up from the G League if needed for a certain number of games.

Last edited:
It's funny that was a young team at the time but nowadays it would be a fairly experienced one. Junior Quinn Cook, transfer Rodney Hood (essentially a junior), senior Hairston, senior Thornton, sophs Jefferson and Sulaimon, senior Dawkins and soph. Marshall. But the pieces didn't really fit. We didn't really have a center that year.
PS Just read Keels shot 26 percent in 5 games in Vegas. 20 percent from 3. Against pretty average competition. Jack White signed a 2 way contract with the Nuggets. Good job Jack! From what I've read a 2 way contract allows a team to call you up from the G League if needed for a certain number of games.
That team has BIGS, but the wings were all 'score first' outside of Tyler.

Jabari wanted no parts of the paint, Hood was making up for a year and rest needed leadership.

Reactions: christophero
It would be awesome to see White and DeLaurier make rosters. Sad both of their Senior seasons ended at the hands of Covid. I feel like the 19-20 roster was peaking at the right time.
If I was an opposing team, that’s the team I wouldn’t want to see in the tourney that year.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT