ADVERTISEMENT

I've been wanting to start this thread for a while just out of curiosity.

To what degree are you a Duke fan?

• All sports Duke fan

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • Duke basketball fan only

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Duke football fan only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other sport only

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
1st of all this by no means is a reflection on any Duke fan. Duke fans are diverse and I think that's a good thing. And of course we are not all Duke alumni. I would like to think the percentage of alumni that post here is very low. Some of us have been fans ever since we can remember and more than likely it's because of our dads or other family members. Some of us are fans because of the succes of Coach K. That is a positive thing also because more than likely your children will be Duke fans and expand the fan base. This bandwagon bull is just that. BULL. Bandwagon fans as I define it jump from team to team depending on the success of that team. I know some. I know one who went from unc to NCSU in the early to mid 70's, back to unc and now is a Duke fan. That's a bandwagon fan . This is a poll.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Duke football and basketball! Keep up here and there with the baseball team. Will follow the baseball team a little more extensively now that I have the ACC Network in my local market.

Reactions: skysdad
Grandmother was a huge college b-ball fan. She was a unc alumni who loved duke basketball. She put me in front of the tv in 91 to watch a game. Been a fan since. Haven’t missed a game (tv)since jj was a sophomore. College basketball is my favorite sport and if I watch something different it’s the Braves, falcons, or a huge college football game. If I am being honest, I could care less about other duke sports.
Also, been coming to this forum for about 4 years. This is my first post though.

Love all things Duke, from the time I was a little kid that's where I wanted to go to college but of course choices changed as I got older but my love for the school never changed. My moms heart Dr was from Duke and he is the reason I became a Duke fan in the late 80s. I follow basketball more closely, then football, lacrosse and baseball, but keep an eye on the other sports from time to time.

Not all Duke sports, but a lot of them. Obviously basketball. Big on football and wrestling. Follow the lacrosse team. I’ll keep up with the soccer team. And I’ve been following the baseball team’s past 2 playoff runs, but I’d be lying if I said i followed it anymore than that

Grandmother was a huge college b-ball fan. She was a unc alumni who loved duke basketball. She put me in front of the tv in 91 to watch a game. Been a fan since. Haven’t missed a game (tv)since jj was a sophomore. College basketball is my favorite sport and if I watch something different it’s the Braves, falcons, or a huge college football game. If I am being honest, I could care less about other duke sports.
Also, been coming to this forum for about 4 years. This is my first post though.

Welcome to the board. Have fun. OFC

Duke basketball only. I’ve been a fan since 86. I was 9 years old. I grew up in Union County New Jersey. My Mom was friends with Alaa Abdelnaby’s family, Mom’s told me about him playing for Duke, I watched, and have been a fan ever since. Then Hurley (I considered going to St Anthony), went there and I of course already knew who he was, so that solidified it. I’m 42 now. I’ve been to the campus on many occasions, have taken my kids, NCAA tournaments, MSG of course. Would love for my kids to go to Duke one day. Both are very good runners. Although, they’ve been to Stanford and as of now, they love that campus more than Duke and Princeton, where they’ve also been quite often.

Reactions: skysdad and Liftee
As somebody who doesn’t live around the NC region it’s hard for me to like Duke in any other sport besides basketball. Games just aren’t on tv in my area enough for me to get into it. Basketball is also the only college sport i passionately care about. I watch football but i don’t have a team. Just teams i don’t like(Alabama and Ohio st lol)

I’m in my late 30s and grew up in a time when every game wasn’t watchable somewhere so I became a fan of the teams I could watch the most, Notre Dame in football and Duke in basketball.

Big fan of Duke basketball, but like others on here will follow the other sports teams and watch when they are playing on tv (football, baseball, and lacrosse)

Became a Duke fan in 1964 as a ten year old watching the Jeff Mullins led basketball team. I am a Duke fan in all sports and live and die with the football team every bit as much as the basketball team. I used to have season tickets to football and attend soccer games when the Devils are at Davidson, which is near me. I follow them in lacrosse and baseball and any other sport they play. Used to make regular trips to Durham to watch women;s basketball. Simply, I love the Blue Devils.

If Duke is in it, I'm rooting for them. But in order of favorites:
Men's Hoops
Baseball
Men's lax
Football.
OFC

I went with "All Duk". I like Peking Duck the best.

Just kidding. I'm all in on all Duke Sports.

LOL. I saw where I mispelled it and tried to edit it but just couldn't figure it out. My lap top is in the repair shop and was using my tablet. Peking Duck. Hilarious. I guess this will bring on the same reponses as finny does. Now that's finny. I don't care who you are. OFC

LOL. I saw where I mispelled it and tried to edit it but just couldn't figure it out. My lap top is in the repair shop and was using my tablet. Peking Duck. Hilarious. I guess this will bring on the same reponses as finny does. Now that's finny. I don't care who you are. OFC

If it's true that laughing out loud adds years to your life, we will live to 100 for sure! OFC

I didn’t even notice it and I tend to notice typos pretty easily most of the time even if I don’t point it out lol

Watch all things Duke. Football, Basketball is my favorite and even baseball. My middle son likes soccer and recently he’s gotten into LAX( which I have no clue how to play or anything about the game). Not being funny but when he said something about it I was like,” isn’t that the game where they have nets like hockey and the players look they are trying to catch bugs with nets?”

I love basketball, and played pickup into my 40's when 3 back surgeries put an end to it, and that's the sport I care about most. I also like football too, but not to the extent of basketball. And I check on baseball, lacrosse, tennis, etc., but hardly ever watch.
So, I pull for Duke in all sports, but basketball is, and always will be my passion. Duke basketball is the ultimate, and that's before K, and after K. Go Duke!!!
But honestly, I've never been a Duk fan.:D

OFC

Last edited:
When I was at Duke, there was a basketball player named Bill Suk. For obvious reasons, he did not pronounce his name to rhyme with Duk.

I love basketball, and played pickup into my 40's when 3 back surgeries put an end to it, and that's the sport I care about most. I also like football too, but not to the extent of basketball. And I check on baseball, lacrosse, tennis, etc., but hardly ever watch.
So, I pull for Duke in all sports, but basketball is, and always will be my passion. Duke basketball is the ultimate, and that's before K, and after K. Go Duke!!!
But honestly, I've never been a Duk fan.:D

OFC

LOL. I really know you are Dukhead at heart. OFC

1st of all this by no means is a reflection on any Duke fan. Duke fans are diverse and I think that's a good thing. And of course we are not all Duke alumni. I would like to think the percentage of alumni that post here is very low. Some of us have been fans ever since we can remember and more than likely it's because of our dads or other family members. Some of us are fans because of the succes of Coach K. That is a positive thing also because more than likely your children will be Duke fans and expand the fan base. This bandwagon bull is just that. BULL. Bandwagon fans as I define it jump from team to team depending on the success of that team. I know some. I know one who went from unc to NCSU in the early to mid 70's, back to unc and now is a Duke fan. That's a bandwagon fan . This is a poll.
I’m not, actually ;)

When I was at Duke, there was a basketball player named Bill Suk. For obvious reasons, he did not pronounce his name to rhyme with Duk.

I remember him. He pronounced it Sook I believe the same way some ignorant folks pronoune Duke. OFC

I actively root for football and basketball. Watch every basketball game and as many football games as I can get. I root for the lacrosse and baseball teams but only by checking the box score. The rest of sports I don’t really follow any team.

Pull for Duke in all sports, but mainly basketball and football. My wife accidentally bought me a Duke Baseball shirt and was going to take it back. I said no, I pull for them in all sports.

Thanks guys for the responses. It's about what I thought it would be. I am grateful to those who are just basketball fans. You are great Duke fans. What I want to know is who is the fan that voted for other sport and what sport is it?OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT