ADVERTISEMENT

Is Zion already...(2)

HeLooks2MuchLikeDave

Cameron Crazy
Dec 1, 2010
….your favorite player in Duke history?

3 games into his one and only season and I can officially say he is mine. I don't say that lightly either. Grant Hill held that mantle for 27 years and no one other than Elton Brand really got close (although Kyrie might have). But I am just so damn turned on by this kid's attitude. Zion gives 100% every single play. He is the first one to celebrate a teammate's success, the first one to pick them off the floor. He is mature beyond his years. He's selfless. And he is a genuinely good human being. Then you add the jaw-dropping athleticism, the physical play, and the court-awareness and you essentially have Lebron James without the ego, with a much better personality, playing at warp speed.

I know its hard to get emotionally attached to one and dones, and there is certainly something to be said for those 4 year players that give everything to the program. But I honestly can't think of any Duke player I have loved watching play basketball more.

Where does Zion rank for you? Is he in anyone else's Top 3 at such an early stage?

Reactions: pisgah101
No way. Not even my favorite OAD... that would be Tyus.

But fav ever? Nah. Nolan, Jon, Kyle, Grant, Bobby, Quinn, Shane, JWill, Nate, CWell, etc etc etc... a lot of guys ahead of him.

Do love him, though:)

Last edited:
Nope. But he has an incredible smile on his face almost all the time, and combined with his approachability & athleticism out the wazoo he probably would be everyone's favorite if he stayed 2 or 3 years. He just seems to be a great kid.

OFC

OP, I agree with everything you say about Zion, he is "special" and will always be remembered by Duke fans. I love everything about this young man, but sometimes we tend to live in the "present" and forget about the past.
For me, there have been so many Duke players that have been my favorite, with each year bringing someone new and exciting, which is what makes Duke BB so special.
Good post and glad to see that this young man brings you so much joy. It's going to be a great year, and Zion and "this team" are going to bring a lot fun and pride to the Duke nation!
Go Duke!
OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Maybe it's because I'm now a grown man and I was a kid back then, but Grant Hill is my favorite player ever and I doubt that will change.

That being said, Zion seems like a good dude and he, along with this entire team, is a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: TheDude1
His only chance to become my favorite player in duke history is to break a backboard in chapel hill and win a natty. Now granted, he has a decent shot at both but....

The point being Kyle, Grayson, Duhon and Seth all put in years for Duke to become my favorite.

It's as fun watching Zion play as it was the guys that have their jerseys retired.
The one and done kid is at a disadvantage when compared to the multi year guy, unless they do what Tyus and company did.

Scheyer won it all his senior season, but the year before, Duke got torched by Villanova in the Sweet 16 by 23.

The answer for a lot of us may be no, but for a lot of young kids it is going to be yes. I really think Zion is going to grow the Duke fanbase by more than anyone other than Coach K.

Zion is the most physically impressive specimen we've ever had. But favorite? Nah. Laettner and Hurley rule that roost for me. Then Grant. Then Shane. I don't think a 1 year wonder is ever going to replace those 4 for me. Now. If Zion holds his course, we win ACC Reg season, ACC tourney and a National Championship.....he'll get strong considerations.

Reactions: HonkeyT
Two years ago a friend of mine who follows recruiting more than I do called me up and said we should go watch this kid from Spartanburg play at Asheville Christian Academy that night. We live in Asheville so I figured why not. He said he was highly ranked but it was before he blew up the web and became a worldwide sensation. When his team came out to warm up he jumped up to lay the ball in because you cant dunk in warm-ups. His head was literally above the rim. I was thinking wow what am I seeing. Well the first time he touched the ball he took the baseline and hammered a dunk over a 6' 10" guy. I knew then this kid was special and unlike anything we have seen in a long time. I followed him from then on not knowing he would choose my all time favorite team Duke. When he did that he automatically became one of my favorite players. I will follow this kid all the way through his career because he is one of a kind. I really do not like the NBA but I will when he gets there.

Reactions: pisgah101
He's not my favorite in history, but before the season is over, I think he will be my favorite since 2001

The Alaskan Assassin is and always will be my favorite.

Justise is my favorite one and done, because he brought that "I'm tougher than you. I know it. You know it, and you can't do a damn thing about it" attitude that we needed.

Zion is like Justise times ten.... lol.

I love Z and both of us being from the same area really resonates with me. With that being said there is nothing like seeing a kid go through the program four years, go to several FF and win a couple of National Championships, player of the year etc etc and all of the special things that come with that. Hurley's toughness, Laettner's clutch shots, Hill's grace and Battier's relentlessness on D....and to see it over a career really runs deep. Just seeing a kid go from 18-22 and watching the culmination of his career and seeing his jersey go into the rafters was just special man.

There is so much more I can say but I have been on this board all day and may get fired.

Reactions: Showenuff
It will always be a tie between Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill as my favorite Duke player. As far as this team it’s Jack White because he hustles and gives 150% the entire time that he’s in the game.

It's just too hard for me to pick an all time favorite, we've been so blessed as fans to have so many talented basketball players come through Duke. Zion will probably make it into my top 5 at the rate he's going. I haven't been this excited to watch a player since JJ. His effort and physical abilities are incredible.

My two favorite's are Grant Hill and Jim Spanarkel. High on the list are Bobby Hurley and Mike Gminski. Got to put Gene Banks in high honorable mention. JJ has to be up there also. Then there's Shane Battier. I liked Kyle Single and his give it all attitude. I still have a man crush on Marshall Plumlee. As far as Zion he'said beginning to get my attention. It's only 3 games so far. He has a way of rubbing off on you.OFC

Reactions: Showenuff
For me it will always be JJ Redick. He was the one who got me watching college basketball back in 2003. Zion is by far my second favorite Dukie of all time. I've been following him since his Junior year in HS and the fact he chose Duke makes it so much sweeter.

I grew up with the Phil Henderson squads. His dunk over Mourning turned me into a Duke fan. Grant was my favorite by a mile and then Shane Battier happened. Nolan got close, but never eclipsed those two for me. It took 17 years, but RJ and Zion both are approaching significant levels of favoritism to me.

Two years ago a friend of mine who follows recruiting more than I do called me up and said we should go watch this kid from Spartanburg play at Asheville Christian Academy that night. We live in Asheville so I figured why not. He said he was highly ranked but it was before he blew up the web and became a worldwide sensation. When his team came out to warm up he jumped up to lay the ball in because you cant dunk in warm-ups. His head was literally above the rim. I was thinking wow what am I seeing. Well the first time he touched the ball he took the baseline and hammered a dunk over a 6' 10" guy. I knew then this kid was special and unlike anything we have seen in a long time. I followed him from then on not knowing he would choose my all time favorite team Duke. When he did that he automatically became one of my favorite players. I will follow this kid all the way through his career because he is one of a kind. I really do not like the NBA but I will when he gets there.

This is me exactly. I went and saw him two years ago at a Christmas tourney wanted him right then and knew he’d be a star everywhere he goes. Some people here didn’t even realize how good he is(was) he’s one of mine for sure and very likely my favorite

I tend to be partial to shooters. Langdon and JJ will always be 2 of my favorites. The 4 year guys also allow so much more time to connect with. Zion certainly is special in his own rite. Man, if he stayed 2 or 3 years, I think all bets would be off for most Duke fans.

Agree with everyone that it's hard to put a one and done ahead of Grayson/JJ/Scheyer/Dawkins and for me, Robert Brickey and Gary Melchionni. But Zion would certainly be in the top OAD category with Justise and Kyrie.

No way. Not even my favorite OAD... that would be Tyus.

But fav ever? Nah. Nolan, Jon, Kyle, Grant, Bobby, Quinn, Shane, JWill, Nate, CWell, etc etc etc... a lot of guys ahead of him.

Do love him, though:)
So not even Duke fans like Lattner?

He’s not my favorite Duke player ever and likely never will be, but I agree with @dukephysics here.....I think we’re not even close to touching the surface as to what Zion is going to mean for Duke basketball in the years to come. We’re talking about a generational talent with an A+ personality. He’s the real deal.

And just a side note....but I could see him becoming my all-time favorite NBA player.

First... how do you not know how to spell his name? Have you never... like... read anything about basketball?

Second, no, sorry, maybe the best college basketball player of all time, but not one of my personal absolute favorites at Duke... too much of a prick, thank god:)

Reactions: skysdad
Grant Hill. I doubt that will ever change. Nothing against Zion, but those are big shoes to fill.

I wasn't even a teenager when guys like Grant Hill were at Duke. I start at 2008 when I was at Fuqua, and yeah, Zion is already my favorite player. It's his game and incredible personality. Just what Duke needed after the last couple of years on the court and off.

If we don't have any injuries, this team is winning it all.

Hell are all of you smoking that Canadian ...Jay Bilas...The End.

Name me one Duke fan that doesn't like Laettner and if you can't do that tell us what institution that you are a patient in that allows all of you excess to the internet? OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT