ADVERTISEMENT

If we had defeated Gonzaga and Syracuse

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
If RJ had made a couple of drives to the basket vs Gonzaga and even with Tre and Cam missing the Syracuse game but taking away the long 3 point basket at halftime which I think changed the game and played a big role in the win how would different would our discussions be if at all. It is possible that we would be undefeated right now if RJ had made those two shots and that prayer had not gone in for Syracuse While we do have bad lot of optimism about where this team is right now we have some who by their post have their doubts about where we are a team as of right now. Does those 3 shots if they had gone our way change anything about how good this team is. The one thing I don't want to do is make this statement difficult to comprehend. :D OFC

I think we would have some that are guaranteeing 40-0, and some that will still say we should have beaten Cuse and gonzaga by more, but our weaknesses almost cost us a loss. And some saying since we are undefeated, we should play the bench more because we will need them in March. But the majority, I think, would be saying the same things that are being said now. We a damn good team, with a good chance at #6

I think we would have some that are guaranteeing 40-0, and some that will still say we should have beaten Cuse and gonzaga by more, but our weaknesses almost cost us a loss. And some saying since we are undefeated, we should play the bench more because we will need them in March. But the majority, I think, would be saying the same things that are being said now. We a damn good team, with a good chance at #6

That is a great reply. OFC

I've been thinking a little about that and my thought is very little would be different. Including myself I think we are all pretty predictable here. At least those who have been posting a long time. I believe we all know each other pretty well at least from the manner in which we post. So win or lose I see ourselves as we are. Pure Duke fans how wear our feelings on our sleeves. Just ordinary people. OFC

I've been thinking a little about that and my thought is very little would be different. Including myself I think we are all pretty predictable here. At least those who have been posting a long time. I believe we all know each other pretty well at least from the manner in which we post. So win or lose I see ourselves as we are. Pure Duke fans how wear our feelings on our sleeves. Just ordinary people. OFC

Sky I hear ya brother and you appreciate those old Black and White Andy Griffith episodes as much as I Do!! I couldnt help but think of all of us and it all comes down to the two camps we generally have here.
Kind of compares to Andy Taylor vs Ol Ben Weaver!!

Reactions: Mac9192 and skysdad
If RJ had made a couple of drives to the basket vs Gonzaga and even with Tre and Cam missing the Syracuse game but taking away the long 3 point basket at halftime which I think changed the game and played a big role in the win how would different would our discussions be if at all. It is possible that we would be undefeated right now if RJ had made those two shots and that prayer had not gone in for Syracuse While we do have bad lot of optimism about where this team is right now we have some who by their post have their doubts about where we are a team as of right now. Does those 3 shots if they had gone our way change anything about how good this team is. The one thing I don't want to do is make this statement difficult to comprehend. :D OFC
I don’t think it changes how good the team is. Even great teams lose. Our team is great for sure, but with some weaknesses. But every team has a weakness, and doesn’t mean they aren’t still great. Virginia, Michigan, Michigan State etc. are all great teams that have their own weaknesses to worry about. That’s part of what is fun to me. To see if our team can band together and play to their strength. I think we have a great shot to cut down the nets this year. As good a shot as anyone in spite of our weaknesses (outside shooting for one).

Also, I was at that Syracuse game and it was a crazy game to watch. Couldn’t believe some of shots Syracuse was making.

I don’t think it changes how good the team is. Even great teams lose. Our team is great for sure, but with some weaknesses. But every team has a weakness, and doesn’t mean they aren’t still great. Virginia, Michigan, Michigan State etc. are all great teams that have their own weaknesses to worry about. That’s part of what is fun to me. To see if our team can band together and play to their strength. I think we have a great shot to cut down the nets this year. As good a shot as anyone in spite of our weaknesses (outside shooting for one).

Also, I was at that Syracuse game and it was a crazy game to watch. Couldn’t believe some of shots Syracuse was making.

I agree about the shots Syracuse were making. Well above average not only for them but just about any team. If they had just an average night shooting for them we would still have won by doubleg figures witHouten Cam and Trey. OFC

Reactions: WoCoDukie
I agree about the shots Syracuse were making. Well above average not only for them but just about any team. If they had just an average night shooting for them we would still have won by doubleg figures witHouten Cam and Trey. OFC
I agree, we won’t lose many games where we score 91. Battle was having an amazing game. I May end up being wrong, but I think that might end up being Syracuse’s best game of the year.

I am a realist when it comes to talking about Duke basketball. Our team is good, it’s the best team Duke has had since the 2014-2015 season, especially when it comes to overall Team Defense and Team Chemistry. Duke has veteran players mixed in with talented Freshmen and all players are comfortable with their roles. Right now I would say our Blue Devils are no worse than an Elite 8 team. I usually will not have a true gauge on our team until after the first matchup against unc. If Duke sweeps unc this season convincingly, regardless of how the ACC Tournament goes, our Blue Devils will go to The Final Four at the worst. Like Coach K has alluded to before, The NCAA Tournament is a 3 weekend 2-day tournament on a Neutral Court. Our guys will be in a lot better shape than almost every team on only one day of rest and Duke has the G.O.A.T. On the sideline who is the best at xs and os with short turnarounds. If Duke is a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, most teams will be unhappy to see them in their region especially if Duke is placed in DC

I am a realist when it comes to talking about Duke basketball. Our team is good, it’s the best team Duke has had since the 2014-2015 season, especially when it comes to overall Team Defense and Team Chemistry. Duke has veteran players mixed in with talented Freshmen and all players are comfortable with their roles. Right now I would say our Blue Devils are no worse than an Elite 8 team. I usually will not have a true gauge on our team until after the first matchup against unc. If Duke sweeps unc this season convincingly, regardless of how the ACC Tournament goes, our Blue Devils will go to The Final Four at the worst. Like Coach K has alluded to before, The NCAA Tournament is a 3 weekend 2-day tournament on a Neutral Court. Our guys will be in a lot better shape than almost every team on only one day of rest and Duke has the G.O.A.T. On the sideline who is the best at xs and os with short turnarounds. If Duke is a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, most teams will be unhappy to see them in their region especially if Duke is placed in DC

I don't think anyone in the country wants to see Duke in their bracket. OFC

Reactions: bullcity gamer

Personally think that Cuse loss helped propel us to that UVA win. Not sure there’s that feeling of a must win game without already losing to the Zags and especially Syracuse when it happened. What’s the old saying about a loss can teach you so much more about yourself than a win can.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I am a realist when it comes to talking about Duke basketball. Our team is good, it’s the best team Duke has had since the 2014-2015 season, especially when it comes to overall Team Defense and Team Chemistry. Duke has veteran players mixed in with talented Freshmen and all players are comfortable with their roles. /QUOTE]

The above statements by BCG really hit on it. I know some here consider comparing this year's teams to recent past teams taboo, but the "Team D and Team Chemistry" does appear to be a much better mesh w/this squad.They genuinely appear to like one another, and derive great defensive energy from Tre setting the tone.

As to the "if we had beaten Gonzaga and Syracuse" original post, I dont know if that really changes things. In fact had we won those games, we would still have weaknesses in FT shooting and 3pt FG percentage. Those factors could have still caught up with us at some point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT