ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Non-Duke Players

Interesting idea ... Can think of only a few non-Duke players who are favs, but there are a few:

1. Bill Walton - favorite college player of all-time, period.
2. Calvin Murphy - I grew up in Buffalo, NY, so Niagara was a big deal in the late 60's and early 70's. Murphy was an awesome player to watch at only 5'9.
3. Bob Lanier - another local player (St. Bonaventure). He and Murphy had some outstanding clashes.
4. Lew Alcindor / Kareem - he still is the most dominant and amazing player to watch in CBB history.
5. Steve Alford - really enjoyed that '87 IU title team (had read Season on the Brink - a great book from that era by Feinstein - just prior to the season; after they beat Duke in the sweet 16, I was rooting for them).
6. Patrick Ewing - Love watching Big East B-Ball in the early 80's. Became a fan after I felt UNC squirreled out that win in the '82 title game on the bonehead pass by Freddy Brown into the hands of Worthy.
7. Clyde Drexler - epitome of Phi Slamma Jamma. As great as the '83 title was for NC State (the 30 for 30 on that was fantastic), Houston coach Guy Lewis lost that game - he was a terrible in game coach with all that talent. But, Drexler was an amazing player to watch.
8. Chris Mullin - great player on a great St. John's team in the 80's. Fantastic wars with Ewing's Hoyas. If not for G'Town, St. John's might have won the title in '85 - I don't think Villanova would have played the same game or won against St. John's. I think having G'Town in that final game is what propelled them to play so great.

Reactions: dukehokie
Tom Gugliotta (Loved watching him torch the heels)
Rodney Monroe
Rodney Rogers
Duncan
Sura
Childress
Calbert Cheaney
Shaquille O'Neal

Reactions: dbav
Mark Price was very good and my type of player and a special shout out to "Dirty" Dan Wells of NCSU for pissing off unc's bill chamberlain enough to get chambelain tossed from a game in which chamberlain was on fire. If not mistaken NCSU won that game. OFC
Hear, Hear on Dan Wells Sky!! Also a special shout out to Clemson's Iker Iturbe for exposing Dean Smith's antics toward Rick Barnes in an Acc Tourney match-up....Further shouts to..
Rick Robey (Ky)
Marc Iavaroni(UVA)
Kirk Luchman(FSU)

El Deano had some choice words for all three, including profanity according to Robey...

OFC

Steven Thompson - Cuse - first player to use jump stop
Andre Turner - Memphis State
Rodney Monroe - NCST
Reggie Williams - Gtown
Randolph Childress - NCST
Antwan Jameson - UNC
Mark Randall - Kansas
Kerry Kittles - Nova
Terry Dehere - Seton Hall

ACC
Len Bias
Mark Price
Rodney Rogers
Childress
Gugliotta
Buck Williams
Bob Sura
Bryant Stith

Non ACC
Chris Mullins
Willie Glass
Walter Berry
Half the guys on 89 Seton Hall-even though they beat us-Michael Cooper and the other big guy who got in the bad auto accident in Portland
85 Nova for knocking off GTown

Would've loved Bill Bradley at Duke. The course of the program might have been totally different.

Mullin would have made things different in the '80's as well.

Reactions: harttochesson
Gary Trent
Scoonie Penn
Steve Francis
Jacque Vaughn
Marcus Fizer
Lee Nailon
Reece Gaines
Andre Miller
Danny Fortson
Ray Allen
Andre Emmett
Troy Bell
Lawrence Moten
Hakim Warrick
Kerry Kittles
John Wallace

I liked watching Bobby Sura of FSU and I was _really_ blown away by Steve Nash when he played in the NCAA for the Gauchos.

I thought "that kid has some handles, to bad he'll never make it in the NBA..." Classic.

Reactions: harttochesson
Guys I saw in the Garden when I was a kid: Bob Lanier, Calvin Murphy.
Guys I saw on a black and white TV: Bill Bradley, Larry Cannon (from LaSalle, maybe 1967?).
Guys I saw before there was ESPN: Pete Maravich, Ernie Digregorio
Guys I saw when I attended Duke which had a so-so team (early 1970s): Phil Ford (he was Kyrie before Kyrie), Bobby Jones, Wally Walker (Virginia).

OFC (obviously)

Reactions: skysdad
Guys I saw in the Garden when I was a kid: Bob Lanier, Calvin Murphy.
Guys I saw on a black and white TV: Bill Bradley, Larry Cannon (from LaSalle, maybe 1967?).
Guys I saw before there was ESPN: Pete Maravich, Ernie Digregorio
Guys I saw when I attended Duke which had a so-so team (early 1970s): Phil Ford (he was Kyrie before Kyrie), Bobby Jones, Wally Walker (Virginia).

OFC (obviously)

You should be a welcome addition to this board and welcome. Glad to see you are a Duke alumni. According to some fan bases all Duke fans are band wagon fans and no of them attended Duke. They seem to think only Duke alumni should be Duke fans but it's okay if they didn't attend the school of the team of their choice. Hope you will tell some great stories of your time there and things about our players while you were there. OFC

Thanks. I tried posting a little under bds0423 a year ago but somehow lost my password and couldn't get it back (well I am old after all). I really enjoy keeping up with the board and appreciate the opinions of fellow Duke fans young and old.

Thanks. I tried posting a little under bds0423 a year ago but somehow lost my password and couldn't get it back (well I am old after all). I really enjoy keeping up with the board and appreciate the opinions of fellow Duke fans young and old.
I must have been there just a little before you: '66-'70. I saw the beginning of the decline, but also was fortunate to see Verga, Lewis, Vandenberg, Golden, and, of course, Bubas, among others. Who were your favorite Devils while you were there?
OFC

I went to class with Bob Fleischer and Kevin Billerman (who coached Ryan Kelly in HS). Richie O'Connor was there for a year or two when I got there. I did see a lot of great players on other teams (the Thompson teams, etc.) and Duke was always competitive at home so there's that. I'm sure you appreciate the success under Coach K as much as we do having suffered through years of irrelevance, that was the worst thing about it.

David Thompson, "SkyWalker", a unique talent who changed the game of basketball forever.

"Pistol" Pete Maravich who averaged over 40 points per game (you read that right, AVERAGED over 40 ppg)

UCLA's Bill Walton and and Kentucky's Jack "Goose" Givens each had the most perfect NCAA Championship games I have ever seen.

David Thompson, "SkyWalker", a unique talent who changed the game of basketball forever.

"Pistol" Pete Maravich who averaged over 40 points per game (you read that right, AVERAGED over 40 ppg)

UCLA's Bill Walton and and Kentucky's Jack "Goose" Givens each had the most perfect NCAA Championship games I have ever seen.

Never saw him live, but Pete Maravich was incredible in a time where basketball wasn't even thought of that way. His mind for the game was sick.

I liked Tom McMillan, Walton who in my mind was the ultimate fundamental center maybe the most fundamental center ever. He would block a shot , catch it and get the fast break going all in one motion, Rick Mount of Purdue had a beautiful jump shot, Danny Ainge, what a competitor who played a lot like Grayson Allen does and Wally Walker just for what he did to the tar heels in the ACC tourney and keeping them from going dancing in 1976. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT