ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Duke Warriors

tate12

Starter
Nov 9, 2017
Kannapolis, NC
Who are your favorite Duke warriors from the past? I am not talking about those that played for Philadelphia, San Francisco or Golden State but those that did all the things necessary to make their Duke teams successful. Those guys that made the extra pass, hit the big shots, interrupted the passing lanes on defense and got their hands on that any ball that came near them. They did the dirty work and never tried to force shots. They did what was best for Duke and not themselves. Some are stars and some are not but they were absolute warriors on the court.

On my list:

Shane Battier
Christian Laettner
Bobby Hurley
Chris Carrawell
Nate James
Tyus Jones
Tommy Amaker
Danny Meagher
Brian Davis
Justise Winslow
Kyle Singler
Amile Jefferson
Steve Wojchiechowski
Grant Hill
Jim Spanarkel
Steve Vacendak

Reactions: topps coach
Who are your favorite Duke warriors from the past? I am not talking about those that played for Philadelphia, San Francisco or Golden State but those that did all the things necessary to make their Duke teams successful. Those guys that made the extra pass, hit the big shots, interrupted the passing lanes on defense and got their hands on that any ball that came near them. They did the dirty work and never tried to force shots. They did what was best for Duke and not themselves. Some are stars and some are not but they were absolute warriors on the court.

On my list:

Shane Battier
Christian Laettner
Bobby Hurley
Chris Carrawell
Nate James
Tyus Jones
Tommy Amaker
Danny Meagher
Brian Davis
Justise Winslow
Kyle Singler
Amile Jefferson
Steve Wojchiechowski
Grant Hill
Jim Spanarkel
Steve Vacendak
No Grayson:eek:

Kyle Singler is one of my favorites.. it always seemed like he did the right things on (and off) the court.. he was a very versatile player that could do it all.

This ^^! Kyle Singler was the 1st to come to mind for me. A true warrior for Duke!

Reactions: dbav

On my list:

Shane Battier
Christian Laettner
Bobby Hurley
Chris Carrawell
Nate James
Tyus Jones
Tommy Amaker
Danny Meagher
Brian Davis
Justise Winslow
Kyle Singler
Amile Jefferson
Steve Wojchiechowski
Grant Hill
Jim Spanarkel
Steve Vacendak
Love your list would add Danny Meagher and Mike Lewis.Two really tough dudes

Coach K once said Lance Thomas was a "warrior". So I guess he automatically goes on the list.
I don't understand how Grayson forcing some bad shots takes him off the warrior list. He belongs on it. See 2015 national championship game.

Never won a title, but gotta have Shelden Williams on there, I mean, he is The Landlord.

Marshall Plumlee was a warrior in 2016 as well.

Sean Dockery also comes to mind.

Kyle Singler man. Nobody played more minutes than him ever at Duke but more than that if you watched him from the time he stepped on campus till he left, you remember just how much grit and grind he put on that court for Duke. He played the 1-5 all at some point during his time at Duke ( a lot of 4) and took some serious beatings but hustled his tail off. The last truly great 4 year Duke man we had. I miss him so much.

Marshall his senior year was something else.

Reactions: dbav and Skeelow22
Art, Shane, Kyle, Nate, Wojo... all were pretty beast.

Edit: Oh, obviously Christian. Sorry.

Last edited:
Good thread.
Art Heyman
Mike Lewis
Randy Denton
Bob Fleisher
Gene Banks
Kenny Dennard
Danny Meaghar
Tate Armstrong
Jim Spanarkel
Tommy Amaker
Billy King
Johnny Dawkins
Jay Bilas
Mark Alarie
Danny Ferry
Christian Laettener
Bobby Hurley
Grant Hill
Thomas Hill
Cherokee Parks
Quinn Snyder
Wojo
Chris Collins
Shane Battier
JJ Redick
Lance Thomas
Mike Gminski
Amile Jefferson
Kyle Singler
Marshall Plumlee
Jon Sheyer
Nate James
Grayson Allen

And all the rest I just couldn't come up with.
OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
Good thread.
Art Heyman
Mike Lewis
Randy Denton
Bob Fleisher
Gene Banks
Kenny Dennard
Danny Meaghar
Tate Armstrong
Jim Spanarkel
Tommy Amaker
Billy King
Johnny Dawkins
Jay Bilas
Mark Alarie
Danny Ferry
Christian Laettener
Bobby Hurley
Grant Hill
Thomas Hill
Cherokee Parks
Quinn Snyder
Wojo
Chris Collins
Shane Battier
JJ Redick
Lance Thomas
Mike Gminski
Amile Jefferson
Kyle Singler
Marshall Plumlee
Jon Sheyer
Nate James
Grayson Allen

And all the rest I just couldn't come up with.
OFC

CWell?:)

Reactions: skysdad
Gotta have Robert Brickey on that list. All in all, quite a group to have had the pleasure to watch and cheer for.

I'm gonna add Jack White. Something special about him. Has a nose for the ball. You know when he is on the court. OFC

That’s a nice sentiment, but I’m not sure Jack has shown us enough to really be a solid choice? I mean, with names like Nate and Art and Shane...? I like Jack and he has had some great spurts, but to be a real Duke warrior I think you’ve gotta do it at a BIG level, you know?

That’s a nice sentiment, but I’m not sure Jack has shown us enough to really be a solid choice? I mean, with names like Nate and Art and Shane...? I like Jack and he has had some great spurts, but to be a real Duke warrior I think you’ve gotta do it at a BIG level, you know?
I agree with Sky. In the minimal time he has played, he is all out.
He could easily be one of those kids on the list. No one has complained with his effort so far. Just imagine what could be said about him in 12-15 minutes at least a game. I don't think it would be bad talk either.

No Tyler Thornton added yet?

Singler was one of the first that came to mind for me.

Christian Laettner, Shane Battier and Kyle Singler are the first who came to mind for me. They played the same way every time down the floor. Their toughness and mental fortitude were intense, and something I just think you're born with and can't be taught.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT