ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS OHIO STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Played to lose. I don’t think they could have played any worse the last 10-15 minutes. Half the team in foul trouble aside, they were bad offensively.

Reactions: sheyduke
Once again the coaching staff allows hero ball to take over and lose a game we were up by 15 .

when we struggle like that scoring we really need a more disciplined offense it’s absolutely depressing

Yeah. Give the 8-5 nonsense a rest. They got a road whistle with some terrible calls that went against them. They still lost the game because of their own play. They'll move on. Get better.

Williams should've gotten touches in the post. PB got punked by EJ. If PB wants to be 'elite' each game, he must recognize the mismatch and understand shot selection.

Reactions: Liftee and rob5894
I didn't want to be a debbie downer but I knew this was going to ******* happen.

We played tough the entire game, the officials had too much influence on the game, we got cold in the 2nd. Nothing more nothing less. Our teams built for March. I couldn’t care less we lost today.

We let them stick around and it caught up to us. Guess we thought they were gonna fold. This one stings

Once again the coaching staff allows hero ball to take over and lose a game we were up by 15 .

when we struggle like that scoring we really need a more disciplined offense it’s absolutely depressing

That has long been a problem with K. It hurt us when we lost with Zion and Barrett.

Just no offensive set.

Reactions: ioliva
Banchero is obviously going to be a great player but he hasn’t done anything in the second half of any game this season.
We should of easily ran some plays down low for him in the last ten minutes and we did nothing. He doesn’t demand the ball and he floats on the perimeter to much.

So far this season his best second half highlights are getting his legs rubbed down.

Disappointing loss but we deserved it.

Reactions: Geese81
Thought I recognized one of the refs. Ladies and gentlemen, Bo Boroski. Having a front row seat to many games in the late 2000s at a MAC school to his hot garbage, I should have known. Do we get Terry Wymer, one of the best? No. We get the monstrosity known as Bo Boroski.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Regroup and get some rest. Come out and just take care of business next game. Shots simply didn't fall tonight and we got the bad end of the whistle alot.

Reactions: christophero
The inability to play physically in this game hurt the team on both ends of the floor in the second half. The foul trouble forced guys to play a little bit more tentatively. Even still, you have to play through all that. Hard not to be annoyed by it though.

Our defense is good but poor shooting makes us vulnerable to an early tournament exit. It seems like if Banchero struggles and Keels struggles we are sunk. We sure could use AJ coming on strong, but he seems to have regressed lately. Still time, and i may be overreacting.

Just a ridiculous collapse.

Foul trouble hurt. But Joey Baker is a senior and still does not have poise for major college bball. The game is just too big for him. I don’t even know why he’s out there. He made a 3 in the first when we were up 11 but give him the ball in a critical moment and he just can’t handle it. Is either afraid to shoot or takes a bad shot.

We really need to get AJ Griffin some more time the next several games.

Our defense is good but poor shooting makes us vulnerable to an early tournament exit. It seems like if Banchero struggles and Keels struggles we are sunk. We sure could use AJ coming on strong, but he seems to have regressed lately. Still time, and i may be overreacting.

We have no consistent outside shooting.

Baker is disappointing given how long he has been at Duke … and the moment is still too big for him. He needed to shoot a thousand 3s a day in the summer.

^ I agree with getting AJ some play time. He took a bad 3 tonight and after that he didn't see the floor. K seems to have a really short leash on him... Similar like what he used to do with Baker last couple years

Baker is a good 3 point shooter. Look at the scrimmages. He just tightens up in big games. I like him and am glad that he stayed but it is what it is. He played good in the first half but we needed him in the second.
I kind of figured we'd have one loss at this point, so we will be okay.

I think the defense has been good to great thus far. Keels has been a roller coaster all season. His 3 to put us up 11 should've been a jolt for this group but instead it was a last gasp in many ways. A few missed free throws late, some poor ball movement/shot selection, and the team seemed gassed too. All of that factored in. AJ looked good a few weeks back and has definitely taken a step back. I think we have a bench with a high ceiling despite what happened tonight. AJ will be a factor. Theo already is. And Joey, despite the negative comments from Duke fans, has given us good minutes this season. He took a few bad shots tonight, but so did just about everyone else late, save for Wendell. I think this team is still one that could potentially bring number 6 back home despite the performance tonight.

Reactions: jeffrey236
K's minutes distribution has gotten almost inexplicable.

Why in god's name is AJ not playing more? Keels played 36 minutes and was atrocious for most of them.

AJ played 2.

Short-sighted, unjustifiable, and just plain ridiculous.

No offensive sets, a bench so thin it's barely visible... I just don't understand it at all.

This was not one of Coach K's finest coaching efforts

Reactions: sheyduke and ioliva
And respectfully guys, I don't know how we can definitively conclude AJ has regressed when the last 3 games he's played 11 (4 or 5 garbage time), 6, and 2 minutes.

How can any player even begin to get in any kind of game flow when his minutes are such a bizarre combination of sporadic and nonexistent.

Well, I respectively disagree. He has looked lost out there when he comes in. Gets beat by his man consistently too. At least Baker can pick a guy up defensively right now and hit a shot from time to time. AJ will figure it out. But I think we all forget how long he went without playing before this season.

Reactions: Liftee
Because based on coach's history, it probably means he is not practicing well.

It's genuinely hard to believe he's been that bad at practice. And frankly I don't believe it.

I don't even know what that would look like. He would basically have to be doing almost everything completely wrong.

Reactions: sheyduke
Well coach clearly trusts Baker more than AJ at this point. You'd have to ask him. I think AJ should be playing more as well.

Are we in meltdown mode?
This is one of those games you see it on the schedule and can't really be surprised with the outcome. Guaranteed to help us win games on the road later on deep into the ACC schedule. I still think this is a second or third weekend team despite everything that happened tonight. Does Duke have issues? Of course. So does every other team out there. News flash: no one is going undefeated in college basketball. I truly believe we see this loss pay dividends for this group come March. But maybe I am too optimistic, haha

Well, I respectively disagree. He has looked lost out there when he comes in. Gets beat by his man consistently too. At least Baker can pick a guy up defensively right now and hit a shot from time to time. AJ will figure it out. But I think we all forget how long he went without playing before this season.

Lol... he's basically played 1 and 2 minute segments the last two games.

I'm sorry but I think that's utterly preposterous to suggest he was SO BAD during those segments that the only subsequent option was not to play him. How could anyone be such a game-wrecker by playing 2 minutes?

There's no way on earth he could have been much worse than Keels if he'd gotten 10 or 15 of Keels' minutes.

Ridiculous

Lol... he's basically played 1 and 2 minute segments the last two games.

I'm sorry but I think that's utterly preposterous to suggest he was SO BAD during those segments that the only subsequent option was not to play him. How could anyone be such a game-wrecker by playing 2 minutes?

There's no way on earth he could have been much worse than Keels if he'd gotten 10 or 15 of Keels' minutes.

Ridiculous
Well, I guess it's time for you to coach the team then. Because I don't know what else to say. Again, AJ didn't play basketball for two years and it shows. He'll figure it out, but he's clearly not there yet.

Last edited:
Coach plays 7 guys in big games. Sometimes 8. Somebody is going to get squeezed out. We were all predicting that Blakes would be in the rotation a few months ago. It's why we can't hold onto the Colemans and Brakefields. Not complaining; it's just reality.

Coach plays 7 guys in big games. Sometimes 8. Somebody is going to get squeezed out. We were all predicting that Blakes would be in the rotation a few months ago. It's why we can't hold onto the Colemans and Brakefields. Not complaining; it's just reality.
Well, that's fair. I think Blakes can bring defense for us. But I think he's not really a threat on offense at all. He's a guy who will see way more time next season too. How much time do we expect him to get this season in big time games? If he's getting a lot then we're in trouble because that means someone important is hurt.

I could definitely do it.

;-)

We just disagree, and that's ok. We're still Duke fans at the end of the day... the fan brotherhood.

I may use that phrase more going forward...
It is. Just don't overlook AJ's time away from the game being a factor. I do think he'll figure it out. This team has two weeks to think about this loss and that's a good thing. Or it should be, haha

Reactions: bullettoothtony
The scarier thing is Duke looks to be sticking to a seven man rotation . I’m just baffled how Duke goes up 15 and you don’t trust Jones and Griffin to give you five to three minutes to end the half and why didn’t we go back to the zone when Ohio St started picking up their scoring .
no one should say anything about Baker he’s doing all he can like Moore when he’s on the court .

Looked to me like Duke ran out of steam with 6 minutes left. That and some silly (tired?) Fouls. Banchero with a somewhat weak game. We'll figure it out.

I don’t much care how you spin it! You can’t land on top of somebody. They called all these touch fouls and hand checks etc shit throughout though …They woulda beat us by 20 if they coulda makes their FTs😂😂… Crazy

We have no consistent outside shooting.

Baker is disappointing given how long he has been at Duke … and the moment is still too big for him. He needed to shoot a thousand 3s a day in the summer.
We took an L last night and we will bounce back. It's early and we will lose a handful more games. We will be fine and we have a really good team.

However, you are spot on about Joey. He just even an average D1 player and really doesn't help us often. REALLY hope we just throw AJ in there and get him some experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT