ADVERTISEMENT

Redick Retirement - favorite Duke players of all time?

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Was discussing this with my son earlier after hearing about JJ’s retirement. He really became a big fan around 1998. Missed the 80s and early 90s since he was born in 88. His two favorite players of all time are Redick and Shane Battier.

this made me wonder about my own favorites. I would say my top five favoriteplayers of all time, in no particular order, are:

Dawkins
Laettner
Redick
Battier
Hurley

Grant Hill would be my 6th man ;).

What are your top five favs?

Reactions: christophero
Grant Hill
Jim Spanarkel
Bobby Hurley
Zion Williamson
JJ Reddick

Tough question. Could substitute about 5 more and it wouldn't matter.
Gene Banks
Mike Gminski
Shane Battier
Christian Laettner
Marshall Plumlee

Grant is my favorite ever so it's him for sure. All others are equal favorites of mine. If I give it any more thought I will see I left some out. Better stop now. OFC

Scheyer was probably the smartest player ever at Duke. At least since 86, as I am not as ancient as some of you. I also liked Boozer and J Will. And Hurley and Amile. That is my second team.

Last edited:
Reactions: youngman42
Shane, JJ, Zion, JD, Scheyer, Nolan, Quinn, Zoubs, Grant, Amile, Nate, Billy King, Hurley

In honoring Coach K, I'd only play 4 of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
Zion
Laettner
Hill
JJ
JWill

Hate leaving off:
Bobby
Shane
Duhon
Cook
Nolan
and a host of others. Impossible for me to answer and be satisfied with my answer.

Reactions: topps coach
Impossible for me to give 5, just know that my top 2 were JJ and Trajan. Loved, Christian, Bobby, Grant, Wojo, Shane, JW, Dunleavy, Boozer, Scheyer, Kyle, Nolan, Zion, Brand, Avery, I could go on and on.

Reactions: topps coach
Impossible for me to give 5, just know that my top 2 were JJ and Trajan. Loved, Christian, Bobby, Grant, Wojo, Shane, JW, Dunleavy, Boozer, Scheyer, Kyle, Nolan, Zion, Brand, Avery, I could go on and on.
Every time I try to do this I come up with four different players to go along with Verga

Reactions: timo0402
Does anyone care enough to figure out a consensus first and second team from everyone's choices?

I liked Sheldon but I think Brand would eat him for breakfast. Remember we only got 2 years of Elton.

Reactions: ceilo77
This is such a tough question. I actually think JJ is my favorite player because I had never seen anyone shoot like that before and it was like a video game. It he only went to one FF and I kinda knock him for that. Maybe unfairly.

I remember being a kid for the 86 team. Dawkins was awesome. But shortly after them, I remember Brickey well because he always seemed to be the first “dunk” guy that caught my eye at like 10. So he son the list.
The whole damn 92 team. The starting 5. All of them. I will love them till I die.

And Scheyer. Because he went from starting, to coming off the bench his second year, changed to PG and ended up winning a title. I think he personified “team” player.

Maggette is one of my favorites as well. If only we had won it that year....I still wonder how great he would have been in year 2. And probably a better pro.

Reactions: timo0402
Maggette is one of my favorites as well. If only we had won it that year....I still wonder how great he would have been in year 2. And probably a better pro.
The next year with him would have been unfair. Same if we kept Avery and allowed JW to come along.

CM was a really solid pro though, can’t knock his pro career.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT