Cameron Crazy
Apr 3, 2002
ACC
Greivis Vasquez - Maryland
KJ McDaniels - Clemson
Matt Harpring - Georgia Tech
Chris Singelton - FSU
Darius Songaila - Wake Forest

HM: Childress (WF), Chris Williams (UVA), Connaughton (ND), Hyatt (NCSU)

Non-ACC Schools:
Stephen Curry - Davidson
Jimmer Fredette - BYU
Aaron Craft - Ohio State
Dontae' Jones - Mississippi State
Etan Thomas - Syracuse (Big East at the time)

HM: Hayward (Butler), Turiaf (Gonzaga), Miles Simon (Arizona), Toby Bailey (UCLA)

You can put your own lists together however you want, but I'm putting together two separate teams - favorite ACC players and Non-ACC players. I know some of my choices for the ACC won't be extremely popular, but I really liked those tough, gritty guys like Vasquez and Songaila. Outside of the ACC, Craft was arguably the most entertaining player to ever watch on defense. Jimmer on the other hand, was an offensive juggernaut, but painful to watch on defense. Dontae Jones was such a gifted athlete, I was sad he didn't make it very long in the league. Etan Thomas - always loved watching him on defense. Got to see Steph Curry play in person twice; he was a special talent even before the 2008 Tournament.

I actually liked Brice Johnson. I've never liked a single Maryland player.
Past guys: Tim Duncan, John Roche, Mark Price

Non-ACC:
Larry Legend, Curry, and the 2009-10 St. Mary's Gaels.

My favorite non-Duke ACC player, hands down, was Randolph Childress. He was electric, particularly in the ACC Tournament. I respect a bonifide Carolina-killer.

Reactions: dukehokie
Childress torched us several times. But he was definitely fun to watch. Loved seeing him talk trash to McInnis.

It would take too long to try to go back and name EVERYONE, but here are some standouts.

Toby Bailey & Charles O'Bannon - was already mentioned but liked those dudes and the '95 UCLA team

Raef Lafrentz - always liked his style of play

Bob Sura - Original Grayson, at least in my lifetime

Juan Dixon

Ben Gordon

Austin Croshere

ACC (current ACC teams)

Dell Curry, Kevin Madden, Ace Custis, Julius Page, Shane Larkin, Sean Singletary, Troy Murphy & Ryan Humphries, Randolph Childress & Tim Duncan, Mark Price & Dennis Scott, Olivier Hanlan

Conversely, I couldn't stand Chris Paul in college, but I really enjoy watching him play now.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I would go with Acie Law from Texas A&M, Durant, Beasley when he was at Kansas State, Horford and Corey Brewer. There are others but I liked watching them play

Len Bias - I think he would have been the greatest to play the game.
Kenny Anderson
Bryant Stith
Muggsy Bogues
Ernest Graham

Tim Duncan
Casey Jacobson
Kevin Durant
Tyson Wheeler
AL Horford

Reactions: dukedevilz
David Thompson, Hawkeye Whitley, Monte Towe. Actually many of the NC State players and several Wake players. Just too many over the last 40 years for me to remember. Maryland never had a player I liked except Len Bias who I saw play in CH when he destroyed UNC in what I think was the last mens game played in Charmichael.

Sorry, but I had to quit reading after this. I'm in shock. I can't stand that guy!

Haha yeah, I know he's hated by most Duke fans. I just loved his intensity, passion, and confidence. He had some annoying moments for sure, but he was a player I enjoyed watching for the most part... If nothing else, at least you can take pleasure in knowing that his college career ended the same way Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige's career ended - with a buzzer-beating 3-point shot.

always liked, Tim Duncan, Thurl Baily, Mark Price, Buck Williams, Sleepy Floyd, Dominique Wilkins, Larry Nance, Len Bias. Now that I look at my list...wouln't make a bad MBA team.

Reactions: Dukesince90
Ok ill play devils advocate. Karl towns, John wall, Anthony Davis, Jamal murrary, Tyler ulis, Demarcus cousins, Patrick Patterson

Tyus edney-followed them in 95. Sure they cheated but I liked him
Chris lofton- ended up at Tennessee but loved his game
Tim Duncan-what's not to like?
Jamal mashburn-yes I know uk but really loved mash

Tim Duncan WF
Larry Bird Ind. State
David Thompson NCSU
Pete Maravich LSU
Bobby Jones unc. Yes I know but he really had class, integrity and dignity. Was very happy to see him graduate and loved watching him play for the Sixers. Perfect Coach K type player. OFC

Tim Duncan WF
Larry Bird Ind. State
David Thompson NCSU
Pete Maravich LSU
Bobby Jones unc. Yes I know but he really had class, integrity and dignity. Was very happy to see him graduate and loved watching him play for the Sixers. Perfect Coach K type player. OFC
Sky could not have picked a better five IMO...

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Sky could not have picked a better five IMO...

OFC

You know that would have been a good starting line up. Pete could definitely play the point with D.T as the 2. Let Duncan play the five with Jones at the 4 and Larry at the 3. Would there be enough balls. With both Jones and Duncan being so unselfish there would be. I think Pete would have loved to be able to dish the ball to the likes of Thompson and Bird. Every one would get their shots. OFC

Reactions: harttochesson
You know that would have been a good starting line up. Pete could definitely play the point with D.T as the 2. Let Duncan play the five with Jones at the 4 and Larry at the 3. Would there be enough balls. With both Jones and Duncan being so unselfish there would be. I think Pete would have loved to be able to dish the ball to the likes of Thompson and Bird. Every one would get their shots. OFC
And the defense gets overlooked because of DT, Bird and Maravich being such prolific scorers...However with Duncan as rim protector and Jones bottling up other squad's stud they get it done at both ends!!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Jameer Nelson was my all time favorite player that didn't play at Duke. Nobody played with more heart than that guy.

Juan Dixon, Muggsy Bogues, Len Bias, Derek Whittenberg, Mark Price, Antawn Jamison, Kirk Heinrich, Rip Hamilton, Tyler Hansbrough, Marcus Paige.

Now, obviously I hated some of these guys for what they did to Duke at times, but I really respected their game or/and character.

I included Kevin Madden because he's from my hometown, but other than proximity, I can't bring myself to respect anyone who puts on the powder puff blue. I just can't.

Reactions: diehardDUKIEnKY
No use for Hansbrough...I think he's shown his true colors in a lot of incidents in the pros...Off the court he took "Naval Science" to a whole new level....Madden and JR Reid danced enough for a disco on our home court after their win in Cameron in '89....Don't blame our guys for not shaking their hands after the '89 final....(game where El Deano talked smack to Coach K)...

Bobby Jones set the bar really high for UNC players in his career per Sky's mention...He's my fave all time non Duke player...Like those other four Sky had too: Thompson, Duncan, Bird and Pistol Pete!

OFC

I liked the Maryland guys from 2002 steve Blake and Dixon. Nic Canner-Meddley(sp?) Chris Lofton, Rotnei Clarke I liked Chris Paul and Julius Hodge as well

1. Kenyon Martin
2. Romain Sato (Xavier)
3. Wally Szcerbiak

Mark Price was very good and my type of player and a special shout out to "Dirty" Dan Wells of NCSU for pissing off unc's bill chamberlain enough to get chambelain tossed from a game in which chamberlain was on fire. If not mistaken NCSU won that game. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT