ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Can’t believe conference season is upon us already. The last time I remember (doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, I just don’t remember) that we played a conference game with Virginia Tech before Christmas, Sean Dockery was hitting halfcourters to win.

Tonight will be a battle I’m sure - especially coming off of an emotional big win in Lansing and having only a couple of days to prepare, during the most rigorous academic time of the year for these guys, but that’s the life of a big time college hooper.

Hopefully there is no emotional let down for this team and I think as long as we continue to work from Carey out, the sky is the limit with these guys. I didn’t put Carey in the conversation to be as good as Jah was during his time at Duke, but that is quickly changing. Jah was a rare breed these days as a true 5 with great back to the basket moves. Vernon not only is similar on the block, unlock Jah, he can step out and knock down the occasional three. How could you not be impressed with what Vernon has done so far? He’s carried this team on his back the last few weeks.

If we can keep playing through Carey like we have, continue to defend and hit free throws, I like our chances tonight against a tough Hokies squad.

Tonight’s game is set to tip at 7pm est and will air on the ACC Network.

Duke 83

Va Tech 75

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!

Duke 80
VT 74

I’ll miss the first half because I’ll be at a tree lighting where my niece will be singing with her school’s show choir. Thank goodness I can DVR the game so I can watch the first half later but at least I should be home to watch the second half before I go out.

Not sure why we always struggle in this building. Hopefully the boys are rested up enough after Tuesday...

key to the game: run them off the 3pt line. Challenge them hit mid range shots.

Duke - 77
VT - 70

It will be a battle, but I think we will prevail. Duke by half a dozen!!!!
OFC

Another tough game. I feel the win at MSU was a great win but I feel like we still haven’t meshed yet and this game may be a problem.

V.T. - 79
Duke - 76

Duke is -6.5 in a tough place to play.

Duke plays steady and we pull away late.

Duke 77
VT 66

I was thinking it’d be closer earlier in the week, but the more I look at it, there’s just something about this one that I think Duke rolls. Duke plays good 3pt defense and Tech isn’t a great driving team. They drive to kick and with the way Duke plays help, there won’t be a lot of passing lanes. Some teams exploit that type of D, I can’t see Tech doing so. It’s going to be a low scoring game, but Duke wins by low double digits in this one.

Duke - 73
VT - 62

It's Moore's turn to shine. He'll have 18 points and Duke wins 78-73.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
I think Duke wins 72-63, as no one should be able to slow down Carey, and Tre will disrupt the Hokies Offense. I was a student at VT when Dockery hit that shot, dressed in my full Duke gear and was catching all sorts of hell before he hit that shot...

Just win that's all I ask....don't care by how many...prefer a blowout but will take any type win

Gonna be tough. They can shoot the 3. I honestly have no clue which team shows up and this is the first ACC road game for a few. The upperclassmen will play a big role before the game even tips. Let's go Duke.

Duke 74
VT 68

As if tonight, Duke has played in Blacksburg 6 times in 5 years and they’ve lost the last 3 in Cassell. Something tells me, the guys will be fired up.

Reactions: Skeelow22
I want to say we win this one but DAYUM we play bad in that place every time. Got my fingers crossed.

It definitely feels that way. Duke has played in Blacksburg 14 times under K since 2004-2005. They’ve lost 5. The average margin of victory in the other games is 11.7 points with outliers of 32 and 4. They really do play Duke tough in Cassell. Some of those games were with teams much worse than this one and they still hung around.

It won’t be easy or pretty today. Duke fans should be happy with any sort of win here. If certain guys play poorly, I’d look at it as a one game scenario. I’d love to see Wendell have a bounce back though. They’ll need it against this pack line style defense.

Beat MSU and then lost to Dayton and BYU. Huh, hard to put a read on this VT team. We're kind of the same way, though. I hope we don't have a hangover from beating MSU the other day.

We win by double digits. I’m a little conflicted on the way we should go about guarding them though. Do we apply heavy pressure and make them beat us by two OR scale it back to right above the 3 point line. I’ve only watched them play the last few minutes against MSU. But that’s what the coaches get paid for. Offensively continue to play inside out. I see Wendell having one of his better games today. Well I’m hoping he does. He’s due one

Please don’t bring up academics if we lose though.

Coach K outlined how tough this is on the team. Tuesday in East Lansing, home on Wednesday by 4.00am....exam week ( taking them on the road in some cases) and leaving for Blacksburg on Thursday for a Friday game....thats a lot physically and mentally for a young team.
Given that I still think we win but VaTech is organized and disciplined so we will need an all round MSU type effort to get it done. Go Duke!

Just a heads up if your are going to the game in Blacksburg tonight...

Notice for Friday
The Blacksburg Christmas Parade is also taking place Friday from 7 – 8 PM. This may affect traffic to/from the basketball game. Please plan accordingly. We recommend fans avoid using Prices Fork (at the intersection of Toms Creek Road/Stanger Street), the roundabout at Prices Fork/Main Street, and Main Street from the roundabout to Eheart Street, as this is the parade route and staging will occur as early as 6 PM. Additionally, College Avenue to Draper will be closed from Noon – 10 PM for holiday festivities. Parking downtown will be limited.

Reactions: eastspartan
Just a heads up if your are going to the game in Blacksburg tonight...

Notice for Friday
The Blacksburg Christmas Parade is also taking place Friday from 7 – 8 PM. This may affect traffic to/from the basketball game. Please plan accordingly. We recommend fans avoid using Prices Fork (at the intersection of Toms Creek Road/Stanger Street), the roundabout at Prices Fork/Main Street, and Main Street from the roundabout to Eheart Street, as this is the parade route and staging will occur as early as 6 PM. Additionally, College Avenue to Draper will be closed from Noon – 10 PM for holiday festivities. Parking downtown will be limited.

Really? You don't think they could have moved the Parade knowing that 12,000 people or so would be attending the game? Perhaps it was the only opening Santa had to be in the area?

Really? You don't think they could have moved the Parade knowing that 12,000 people or so would be attending the game? Perhaps it was the only opening Santa had to be in the area?

Agree no idea what Blacksburg is thinking. They know when Duke comes to town its a sell out.

So this isn't on ESPN, plus I wouldn't be able to watch it live tonight anyway. Does anyone know if there will be a replay available somewhere?

God I freaking hate that half our games are on ACCN now. Sort of kills my excitement for the season knowing I won't get to watch literally half the games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT