ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I am going to miss our next three games. We are leaving for Aruba on Saturday. Please pitty me.

I'm kind of in the same boat. We have some clients in town starting today and they're leaving Sunday afternoon. Well, I booked a brunch with them late Sunday morning/early afternoon about two months ago never looking at the schedule. Then on Wednesday I'm heading back to Florida for four days with some buddies to play golf. I'm hoping to catch one of the Louisville or Syracuse games, but not sure.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
+/- can be pretty misleading since it relies heavily on the performance of your teammates when you are on the floor. You'd have a hard time convincing me that Duval had the most positive presence when he went 3-10 with 4 TOs and 3 assists vs Allen at 9-17 with 6 assists and 2 TOs. I've never been one to bash Duval for his mistakes, but I wouldn't say he had an extraordinarily stellar game yesterday.

Well that was people’s excuse to bench him before. So we all can agree that stat is pointless when talking about someone’s performance right?

Show....I admittedly don’t pay much attention because I follow a lot of Duke accounts on Twitter....I’ll try to pay attention which one I see it on next time....

This one has all the stats if you are interested...

#dukembbststats
@dukembbstats

Reactions: Showenuff
Gary rebounded really well the whole game. We picked our poison with VT. We left guys wide open in the middle of that zone and dared them to shoot floaters and big Wendell cleaned up the stuff near the rim without fouling. A team like UNC and a guy like Pinson or Maye would've torched that gameplan. We'll need to use man defense or at least a modified zone against better passing teams. Javin at the 4 gives us a lot better zone than have two traditional bigs in there at once. I think we might consider using Bagley and Carter as alternating centers rather than a frontcourt tandem.
As others have said on here before, I don't necessarily think the five most talented players on the roster make the best team as of now. Hopefully that will change down the road, but I like the idea of switching out carter/bagley for periods of the game. Now when they have the size advantage they are two of the best high to low passing big guys I have seen.

Javin seemed to play his best game of the year and hopefully he continues that trend, as he has the potential to be that long disruptive player on defense that will be needed in the home stretch.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Why does Grayson play 40 minutes a night and Alex didn’t touch the floor last night? Coach K is so confusing. How do you start a guy one game and the next game he doesn’t touch the floor? Maybe because we run zone he figures the starters aren’t tired. It just doesn’t make sense to play Grayson that much

Why does Grayson play 40 minutes a night and Alex didn’t touch the floor last night? Coach K is so confusing. How do you start a guy one game and the next game he doesn’t touch the floor? Maybe because we run zone he figures the starters aren’t tired. It just doesn’t make sense to play Grayson that much
Coach K knew that DI needed something to bitch about after holding a team to 30 points below their average and winning the game by 22. So he was like "watch this".

Brilliant!

Coach K knew that DI needed something to bitch about after holding a team to 30 points below their average and winning the game by 22. So he was like "watch this".

Brilliant!

That makes even more sense to get him a break you genius. We were up like 25 and he’s still playing. Have you heard of wear and tear? At some point he’s going to wear down from playing all those minutes like the last few years. Y’all been crying for Alex this whole week. Dude didn’t play one meaningful minute. I’m willing to bet you’ve cried about the bench use this year.

With people wondering just thought I'd throw this out there...saw on twitter a reliable source said "Duval/AOC/Goldwire just sprinted into Cameron, lets see how K handles this". Not super close to gametime, but close enough. I think that obviously had something to do with it. These dudes have already sat before for "classroom issues" and now "tardiness". Not bashing the Duke kids at all. People dont realize all the stuff it takes to be a Duke player outside of just on the court.

Hopefully this kind of stuff stops happening...Alex is way too talented not to get some burn every single game

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
That makes even more sense to get him a break you genius. We were up like 25 and he’s still playing. Have you heard of wear and tear? At some point he’s going to wear down from playing all those minutes like the last few years. Y’all been crying for Alex this whole week. Dude didn’t play one meaningful minute. I’m willing to bet you’ve cried about the bench use this year.
You seem upset.

Reactions: hart2chesson
O’Connell didn’t play much but he did see the floor. Game stats shows that he played 4 minutes.

On Grayson's playing time, I think it's simply that Coach K loves that kid so much, and he being the lone senior he's going to play him about all game, and we should just enjoy watching him play the last few months.

Gotta look like the light at the end of the tunnel. We need him more at the end of the year. These minutes are adding up. 40 minutes a game is just too much for any player. Especially since they want him to handle the ball more.

Gotta look like the light at the end of the tunnel. We need him more at the end of the year. These minutes are adding up. 40 minutes a game is just too much for any player. Especially since they want him to handle the ball more.
I don't think this is the case, it's college basketball, these guys play 2 games a week and should be in the absolute peak of their physical shape.
Kemba Walker played 40 mpg for just about every single UCONN game the year they made that run, ironically Shabazz Napier did the same when they won it in 2014. Now let's be clear, Grayson is not either of these guys, doesn't have the quickness and explosiveness, but he is a better shooter.

I don't think it's ideal to play Grayson 40 mpg, he needs a blow just so we can ensure he won't take any breaks on the defensive end (yes this happens with him from time to time). But if we can't rely on Alex for minutes, which hopefully we can again soon, than it may be required to play Grayson more than we want.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
I don't think this is the case, it's college basketball, these guys play 2 games a week and should be in the absolute peak of their physical shape.
Kemba Walker played 40 mpg for just about every single UCONN game the year they made that run, ironically Shabazz Napier did the same when they won it in 2014. Now let's be clear, Grayson is not either of these guys, doesn't have the quickness and explosiveness, but he is a better shooter.

I don't think it's ideal to play Grayson 40 mpg, he needs a blow just so we can ensure he won't take any breaks on the defensive end (yes this happens with him from time to time). But if we can't rely on Alex for minutes, which hopefully we can again soon, than it may be required to play Grayson more than we want.

But Alex just started a game on the road so I just don’t understand why he didn’t play. We should be able to get 12 minutes out of him. He can spell each backcourt player 4 minutes. That’s what Grayson did as a freshman pretty much

They all get plenty of breaks. 2' of basketball.....12' commercial break.....3' of basketball.....10' commercial break. There's too many commercials messing up our momentum!!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Coach K has had many seniors who played almost 40 minutes per game. Not saying I agree with him, but he has often stated that seniors should be able to handle playing when a little tired. I also recall that as the season progresses, practices are cut back. And I recall from my peach basket days that zone does take less out of you. So we can discuss it but it's not going to change.

The suggestion of some minor disciplining for AOC and Goldwire mentioned above makes sense. I'm just not sure why Duval was exempt from it.

For those looking for a reason why Alex might've not played very much (along with Goldwire at all) checkout what I posted above on this page.

Soon as I saw that tweet I knew he probably wouldnt see the court much on mater the score.

Great game to be at. Went out to Kville talked with a few of the Cameron Crazies about tenting in Kville. The talked about the break they had for the flu and another break due to the colder weather. When I walked into Cameron I noticed Section 17 was not packed. In talking with another media member we weren't sure if its due to Valentines Day or what. Hopefully the Crazies will be out in full force for the last few games. The Crazies at the VT game brought their A game. The signs and the chants were on point for an ACC game.

Do any of you guys remember that song.... "Stacy's Mom" from years back? Well.. the Cameron Crazies put their own spin on it and sung to Carter's mom.. "Wendell's mom has got it going on". Carter's mom enjoyed it and let the Crazies know. The Crazies also had EJ (recruit) come sit with them toward end of the game.

Jason Williams stood in Section 17 with the Cameron Crazies during the game and was represented at halftime with some award that other players such as Redick, Laettner, Redick names were on. I was not able to get enough info on this as well as my view was blocked at half time.

Duke came out strong in the 2nd half and put the game away. Allen mentioned in the locker room something along the lines that this was the most complete game Duke has played.

K mentioned in the presser that Duke beat a good team tonight. He talked about how Javin was a big time player tonight. K mentioned that Duke is "bowl eligible now" in which the media laughed. K talked about how Allen is the leader. When one media member asked how how to bring Marvin back into the lineup.. K responded " those are good problems to have".

Overall a good win for Duke (without Bagley) against a VT team that looks to be on pace to make the tourney if they continue with a few more wins.

But Alex just started a game on the road so I just don’t understand why he didn’t play. We should be able to get 12 minutes out of him. He can spell each backcourt player 4 minutes. That’s what Grayson did as a freshman pretty much

The least of my concerns is Grayson playing almost every minute of every game. As someone else said, the team spends less time exerting energy in practices as we come down the wire. Plus, even with some of the 40-minute night's we've seen Grayson play, he's only averaging 34 minutes per game. There's over a dozen players in the ACC averaging more per game.

As for Alex....there will be games where he plays close to 20 minutes and others where he doesn't see as much time. Who expected to see Javin last night for 24? Or Bolden on Sunday for 25? A lot of coaches are coaching the game in front of them. They don't have a clipboard that's tracking whether or not Alex, or whoever, gets their allotted minutes per game.

The least of my concerns is Grayson playing almost every minute of every game. As someone else said, the team spends less time exerting energy in practices as we come down the wire. Plus, even with some of the 40-minute night's we've seen Grayson play, he's only averaging 34 minutes per game. There's over a dozen players in the ACC averaging more per game.

As for Alex....there will be games where he plays close to 20 minutes and others where he doesn't see as much time. Who expected to see Javin last night for 24? Or Bolden on Sunday for 25? A lot of coaches are coaching the game in front of them. They don't have a clipboard that's tracking whether or not Alex, or whoever, gets their allotted minutes per game.

He even had Grayson playing 40 minutes in those games that he was awful. Pretty much all the games we lost. If he can handle those minutes then good. I just know he better continue shooting the ball like he is and stop being scared to shoot. Tired of defending him and making excuses to my bum UNC fans. I'm running out of things to say

He even had Grayson playing 40 minutes in those games that he was awful. Pretty much all the games we lost. If he can handle those minutes then good. I just know he better continue shooting the ball like he is and stop being scared to shoot. Tired of defending him and making excuses to my bum UNC fans. I'm running out of things to say
So sorry that Grayson has been a burden on you. The next time I see him, I'll tell him dachampishere is tired of having to deal with unc fans.
Of course he may have read your posts lately and decided to get it together.

So sorry that Grayson has been a burden on you. The next time I see him, I'll tell him dachampishere is tired of having to deal with unc fans.
Of course he may have read your posts lately and decided to get it together.

I advise him to do it for himself. Because he's losing money with every game that he looks timid and can't play 2nd or 3rd fiddle. Shooting is what's going to get him financially set for life.

On Coach’s radio show last week he interviewed Tyus. One of the questions he asked was whether Tyus ever minded him playing him 40 minutes a game to which Tyus of course responded no. He also made a joke about how his assistants forced him to take him out of the game sometimes or he probably never would have.

He also reiterated last night that Grayson is this team’s leader and needs the ball in his hands. Before yesterday everyone had been complaining, and rightly so, that we had yet to put together a full 40 minute effort. I’m sure that was a priority for them and if coach wants them playing at the highest level for all 40 we probably need Grayson on the floor (especially with Marvin out).

With this logic, why don't the 5 best guys play 40 (or 48) minutes every game? I mean, I only lift weights 2 days a week, so why can't I just lift for 40 straight minutes w/o my muscles needing to recover?

The real question is whether Grayson's productivity in his least productive - let's say, 8 minutes - is still higher than the next best player's performance during those 8 minutes. If so, then yeah, Grayson playing 40 minutes makes the most sense. But don't pretend that he's as efficient and effective playing 40m a game vs. 32m a game.

What is your deal, all you do is criticize a player that basically brought Duke back to win a National Title. I get it the kid has had issues but he has done nothing but give effort and support Duke hoops for 4 years. Duke is lucky to have him

I for one am VERY glad he chose Duke. I don't know if we have ever had a player go through as many highs and lows and G, and the things he does and says off the court are so mature and make him so easy to cheer for. Love to see him keep going like he has the last two games. His senior night is going to be very emotional for him. Kid LOVES Duke.

What is your deal, all you do is criticize a player that basically brought Duke back to win a National Title. I get it the kid has had issues but he has done nothing but give effort and support Duke hoops for 4 years. Duke is lucky to have him
Were you talking to me? If so I think you misunderstood my point about his minutes. Has nothing to do with him, more about substitution strategy, etc. Unless you can point to anything I've said this season about Grayson, don't think I've said one negative thing.

Great game to be at. Went out to Kville talked with a few of the Cameron Crazies about tenting in Kville. The talked about the break they had for the flu and another break due to the colder weather. When I walked into Cameron I noticed Section 17 was not packed. In talking with another media member we weren't sure if its due to Valentines Day or what. Hopefully the Crazies will be out in full force for the last few games. The Crazies at the VT game brought their A game. The signs and the chants were on point for an ACC game.

Do any of you guys remember that song.... "Stacy's Mom" from years back? Well.. the Cameron Crazies put their own spin on it and sung to Carter's mom.. "Wendell's mom has got it going on". Carter's mom enjoyed it and let the Crazies know. The Crazies also had EJ (recruit) come sit with them toward end of the game.

Jason Williams stood in Section 17 with the Cameron Crazies during the game and was represented at halftime with some award that other players such as Redick, Laettner, Redick names were on. I was not able to get enough info on this as well as my view was blocked at half time.

Duke came out strong in the 2nd half and put the game away. Allen mentioned in the locker room something along the lines that this was the most complete game Duke has played.

K mentioned in the presser that Duke beat a good team tonight. He talked about how Javin was a big time player tonight. K mentioned that Duke is "bowl eligible now" in which the media laughed. K talked about how Allen is the leader. When one media member asked how how to bring Marvin back into the lineup.. K responded " those are good problems to have".

Overall a good win for Duke (without Bagley) against a VT team that looks to be on pace to make the tourney if they continue with a few more wins.

Thanks, Skee, that's a cool read! And yes, I remember 'Stacy's Mom', and also the video!

OFC

We have a nba scout on the board! Hot damn!

He has the answer. I guess you could take it farther and say that the thing to do is for Coach K to keep recruiting the best players out there and after they commit to Duke is for him to not play them so the contract will be bigger if they are completely healthy. OFC

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
He has the answer. I guess you could take it farther and say that the thing to do is for Coach K to keep recruiting the best players out there and after they commit to Duke is for him to not play them so the contract will be bigger if they are completely healthy. OFC

He already doesn’t play some of them anyway so it wouldn’t be very surprising. Nobody should play 40 minutes. Especially when you’re ineffective

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT