ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I don't get how we always look like a better team in November and Dec.

We didn’t look much better then. We just barely played well enough to win. We shouldn’t have beaten either Texas or Florida. Our record is probably about right and where it should be. Right now we’re a three- or four-seed. My guess is that’s right around where we end up.

Wow are you blind
I’m not the one trust me!!

So because he’s playing defense, distributing the ball, the only senior not to mention never really had to control the team until now with four freshman starting! Oh yeah somethings wrong it’s called trying to help the best he can .

Reactions: pisgah101
I'm not the coach but if I was, I might try to figure out how to play defense.......

Oh wait, it takes effort to play defense and we are more worried about trying to average 90 points a game on offense, and that works in November and December but that does not work come conference play and tourney time, try playing defense with effort, lock down your guy and everything will take care of itself.

I love scoring points and think Virginia games are boring but I am starting to change my tune, I'll take a 59-55 win all day every day watching kids take pride playing defense and rebounding, tonight sucked to watch just like last Saturday.

I'll continue to root for Duke but this is going the same way as several of the last few seasons except 2015 of course.

I'm probably speaking for myself but I'm getting tired of the negativity some are showing on this board after we lose. It's worse this year than ever. There are a couple of guys who used to be regular posters on this board and added greatly to it that no longer post. I am face book friends with them and have ask them why they don't post anymore. Both said one of the reasons is because of how negative posters have become. If all you can do is be critical of our program every time we lose a game please just stay off the board. OFC

We didn’t look much better then. We just barely played well enough to win. We shouldn’t have beaten either Texas or Florida. Our record is probably about right and where it should be. Right now we’re a three- or four-seed. My guess is that’s right around where we end up.

But the difference is that I don't see the Feb Duke team staying that poised and resilient to pull off those wins back to back. Then again, not many teams would anyway. It's frustrating to see spurts of this team playing great but they can't sustain it for even a full game.

Some of you guys need to read your own posts again. There is a damn big difference between being disappointed in our progress (or lack of it), than slamming our players, and our coach as being pretty much worthless. You can call me delusional, but I still think we can do some damage in the tournament. And that's better than quitting on your team. I won't quit, and Duke won't either, just because everything isn't going our way.

OFC

Stat of the Game: Shot Attempts - UNC/109 & Duke/85. Carolina got #24 more shots up!!!
I’ve seen people talk about that stat a bunch this year with this team and every game we’ve lost we have had fewer shot attempts I believe. Still crazy to me that we can lose those games by 4 points with 24 fewer attempts! Think that’s a good representation of the talent disparity.

Have to re-group quickly and find a way to beat Georgia Tech on the road. It is frustrating but I still love cheering for Duke Basketball!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
So, why do you post here again? I'm just checking. You don't seem like an actual fan. Is this just how you vent your frustrations with the rest of your life?
Here we go again

I am not happy but not too worried. Only worry I have is Grayson needs to be playing like a captain. Are we not the fan base that gets so upset with Coach K playing 7 players, and going out early in the tourney? Players are learning, and not just 5 or 6 are learning in game play. If we can eliminate these 5 minutes of games that we lose focus we are golden. Even in all of these games where we have lost the focus for almost a whole half we've still had the chance to win against mainly top 20 teams.

Reactions: dukesince91
Folks need to stop with the we play bad defense because of effort.....every year the players are different....every year...they don’t all lack effort....we play terrible defense because the system K teaches is broken....doesn’t work....or can’t be learned from OAD....choose whatever you like...The end result is the same....it doesn’t work.....

Here’s my intoxicated analysis. Most of the people on this board suck, not the regulars, the majority of the names on here I’m like who are you, oh wait another negative comment.

We are dominant when we are composed focused determined, which is the first 16 minutes of every game. The minute the intensity ratchets up, we get caught off guard, we make mistakes, we sulk, we make more mistakes and our demeanor changes. This happens between the 4 minute make and the opening 4 minutes of the second half.

We then regain our composure, we start grinding away. We get hit in the mouth again, we start going one on one, the people who shouldn’t be taking 3’s take em, we start forcing passes. We get almost all the way back and the clock runs out.

We need to improve somewhere. Doesn’t need to be everywhere but we need to improve somewhere. Defense, ain’t gonna happen scrap that idea, so too with free throws. So we are left with BOXING the effff out, shot selection, ball security. Can we please please please focus on these areas going forward. I’m telling you if we can just improve on the simple things we can still salvage this season.

I had a ton of optimism going into this year, and kept it for quite a period of time. Tonight did me in, Ive turned sour. I don’t think this team has it. I’m going to throw my duke gear on and root my heart out because that is all I know how to do. But Quinn Cook ain’t walking through that door. So someone needs to step the eff up and grab this team by the balls and say not on my watch, not my last year.

There is still time, there is still plenty of time. I don’t think we’ll do it, not many on here do. But you can’t create god given talent, we have that. It’s everything else that we are lacking, I go to sleep tonight hoping that we can find the heart needed to go from here to where we want to be.

They’re not. They are fans who are frustrated. They are entitled to be. Nobody is happy right now
I’m fine with this loss. Wish the team was peaking better but UNC baited Duke and they took it hook line and sinker.
If no one thought UNC wasn’t about to start driving and continue to spread the floor in the second you weren’t paying attention. They never got shook when they went down they just played.

No identity as a team. The slide continues. Duval would not even be a second round pick. Cannot shoot. Hard to watch.

Some of you guys need to read your own posts again. There is a damn big difference in being disappointed in our progress (or lack of it), than slamming our players, and our coach as being pretty much worthless. You can call me delusional, but I still think we can do some damage in the tournament. And that's better than quitting on your team. I won't quit, and Duke won't either, just because everything isn't going our way.

OFC
Great point. I have no problem in discussing or reading opinions of what this team needs or how they can improve but talking about how bad this one or that one sucks and how worthless they are is childish and ridiculous.

I’m fine with this loss. Wish the team was peaking better but UNC baited Duke and they took it hook line and sinker.
If no one thought UNC wasn’t about to start driving and continue to spread the floor in the second you weren’t paying attention. They never got shook when they went down they just played.
Shoot if defense is the problem let’s just turn every game into a track meet. Maybe playing to our strength is what needs to happen

This team could easily be a 1 loss team. I think some of us myself included buy into the preseason hype of how good this team was on paper.

Some of you guys need to read your own posts again. There is a damn big difference between being disappointed in our progress (or lack of it), than slamming our players, and our coach as being pretty much worthless. You can call me delusional, but I still think we can do some damage in the tournament. And that's better than quitting on your team. I won't quit, and Duke won't either, just because everything isn't going our way.

OFC

Amen. OFC

Shoot if defense is the problem let’s just turn every game into a track meet. Maybe playing to our strength is what needs to happen
Isn’t that why teams watch film tape? To see a weeakness and exploit it. One thing true ,well actually two ,is Duke’s inability to defend and stay engaged for forty minutes. Carolina came out and blindsided Duke like other teams and got the frost rattled to the point where they begin playing one one one or individual ball.
Duke took the bait and both K and Grayson knew it. We were hitting shots when Bagley passed it out. Duke wasn’t missing but when you get away from what was working teams see it and attack.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
MinhjOV.jpg

Isn’t that why teams watch film tape? To see a weeakness and exploit it. One thing true ,well actually two ,is Duke’s inability to defend and stay engaged for forty minutes. Carolina came out and blindsided Duke like other teams and got the frost rattled to the point where they begin playing one one one or individual ball.
Duke took the bait and both K and Grayson knew it. We were hitting shots when Bagley passed it out. Duke wasn’t missing but when you get away from what was working teams see it and attack.
I agree.

Hodl this team. Cryptocurrency ppl will understand. Don't sell on a downswing if you believe, because big things are to come!

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. Duval gives effort, but he is really killing us running the team. He absolutely sucks at distributing the ball, terrible at getting others involved. That hurts Allen and Trent. You would think with the talent we have, open looks would be easier to come by than they are. As good a scorer as Bagley is, he is absolutely horrible at passing out from the post. We don't maximize our size as well as we should. Our ball movement is pathetic.
I have no idea what is wrong with Allen, he looks engaged with his teammates, is constantly talking, but he scored 1 freaking point in the 2nd half, ONE!!! What the f+%*!!!!
K may not have been out coached in this game, but it's obvious of the 2 coaches which team responded to their halftime talks.
I think Goldwire needs to start in place of Duval. Sorry if that angers some of you. We need someone who looks to get others fully involved, and Allen isn't the answer. Him moving over to the point isn't helping the team, he gets more passive, which we don't need. He was good in the first half, then did nothing offensively, I just don't understand.

We could turn it around, but I'm sick of this "young team" garbage. The same 5 have started for 24 games now.
Bottom line, we got beat by a team that out hustled us, something that shouldn't happen to a K coached team.

Like next years team too. I actually believe next year will be better though, since they'll have a facilitating PG...
Duval should return. Hell he needs to return. He’s not NBA ready. He’s not WNBA ready. He’s good but he needs to mature. I like him a lot but man he can make some head scratching plays at times.

The loss sucks but it's one game. Heels played harder, beat us on the boards and just out hustled us. We need to get back to Durham, get a hot shower to get the stench from that cheese smelling humidor they call a gym off and just get back at tomorow. We need to rebound and play better at ga tech. Happy with the Bolden and AOC minutes. Still have tough games at Tech, Clemson and Va Tech.

We will be fine!!

I trust K.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT