ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS LOUISVILLE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Inside presence is key in college, to get to the FT line and to space the floor to create match up problems. So many times we have no one in the paint on offense and no one to block anything around the rim on our defensive end. We refuse to play any of our bigger inside players for long periods, its 2 mins and out..that's a clear choice and part of what is meant by no identity.

Reactions: geddoughton23
If we can get Steward and Roach back with a year under their belts that will make a big difference next year. Even Williams and Brakefield are getting experience. We're just going to have to take our lumps this year. I've adjusted my thinking. We don't have the one and done studs we normally have. It's a learning year. Otherwise I'd have a nervous breakdown, ha.

Inside presence is key in college, to get to the FT line and to space the floor to create match up problems. So many times we have no one in the paint on offense and no one to block anything around the rim on our defensive end. We refuse to play any of our bigger inside players for long periods, its 2 mins and out..that's a clear choice and part of what is meant by no identity.

Do you think they're ready though? Williams looks lost out there. Coleman doesn't have the hands. Tape? He has shown the most promise of the three, but he looks overmatched against certain guys down low. I just think we're limited in that capacity this season. I would've loved to gotten Big Vern for another season. Our big guys just aren't ready it seems.

I think Hurt being “the” guy is completely fine.. but it should be because he’s got so much help around him that he gets open shots all day long.. not because he’s playing like Dirk out there and nailing contested mid range fadeaway shots.
Fair point.

Do you think they're ready though? Williams looks lost out there. Coleman doesn't have the hands. Tape? He has shown the most promise of the three, but he looks overmatched against certain guys down low. I just think we're limited in that capacity this season. I would've loved to gotten Big Vern for another season. Our big guys just aren't ready it seems.

Define ready? I cant say as they don't get significant minutes in consecutive games to even judge them. Playing brings confidence, and as said before here - K has a short leash with some but longer with others. JRob is a good example, who knew he could contribute like he did...all he needed was a chance. Casey Sanders is another that comes to mind. We shall see.

Define ready? I cant say as they don't get significant minutes in consecutive games to even judge them. Playing brings confidence, and as said before here - K has a short leash with some but longer with others. JRob is a good example, who knew he could contribute like he did...all he needed was a chance. Casey Sanders is another that comes to mind. We shall see.

Was JRob or Casey ready to contribute as a freshman or sophomore? Hell no neither were....terrible comparison

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Was JRob or Casey ready to contribute as a freshman or sophomore? Hell no neither were....terrible comparison

We're in agreement on something for once, haha Yeah, I don't care for that comparison either. Williams and Coleman will both be contributors in the future. Just not this season. I think Tape is the only one who I want to see get significant burn. And even with him I think he should be limited. I've seen more from him though. Williams is truly lost out there. I've seen enough of him to see that. Coleman has a chance to possibly contribute in small doses against lesser competition. But, who are we playing at this point that is considered lesser competition? I'm okay with using them all at points, but for large periods of time...no.

I just think our freshman are who they are. Not the super recruits we are used to and guys who may be back. In the offseason they were all underrated and diamonds in the rough. The guys were ranked where they were for a reason. And we are seeing it on the court. They will take time to develop.

I just think our freshman are who they are. Not the super recruits we are used to and guys who may be back. In the offseason they were all underrated and diamonds in the rough. The guys were ranked where they were for a reason. And we are seeing it on the court. They will take time to develop.

Spot on man. Our guards have shown more, obviously. But none of them are ready to take the next jump or lead a team right now. That's why J-Gold sees so much time I believe. He brings experience to the floor. He tries to do too much because are guys aren't there yet. Roach and Steward have shown flashes, but nothing consistent. I may get blasted for this, but I don't see Jalen being NBA ready at this point. He has the talent for the league, just don't see it right now. I'd love to see everyone come back with a year under the belts. Though I know that will not happen with Hurt or Jalen for sure.

Jalen is not NBA ready. But he will still leave and get drafted in the late first round imo. Based on potential. But he has a ways to go. he does seem like one of those guys who slips on draft day.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Duke is not far away from being good. Roach, Steward and Goldwire must penetrate more. They need to find great shots even if that means playing lower possession games. Winning in the low 60s is preferable to losing in the 70s.

Roach seems to be going through some growing pains right now. Rough two games for him after a stretch where he was really playing some good ball. I think he gets it turned around quickly.

Duke could have a terrific group of Sophomores next year. Johnson will be gone, but the other five could all realistically return. Could be a very, very good group of Sophomores to go along with an ultra talented Freshman class coming in.

Roach seems to be going through some growing pains right now. Rough two games for him after a stretch where he was really playing some good ball. I think he gets it turned around quickly.

Yeah, we could've used his production yesterday. If he does his thing, we win. It's that simple.

Duke could have a terrific group of Sophomores next year. Johnson will be gone, but the other five could all realistically return. Could be a very, very good group of Sophomores to go along with an ultra talented Freshman class coming in.

I'd love to have them all back. That team has great potential to be scary good.

Johnson won't be back but he isn't nba ready..just like cassius Vern and tre weren't either...it's why they never play

Hurt won't be back either...he will ride pine also until he really bulks up and gets stronger...he is so weak it's terrible...he would get abused in the NBA

Again never said moore was great but I've seen enough of baker to see he needs to be at a lower lever D1 school...moore can play a little defense...baker lol
Moore played 34 minutes yesterday and averages 24 per game. Baker only 12. No way is Moore twice the player Baker is. I will take Baker shooting 5 3’s in a game but not Moore. Moore had great game vs BC because he worked inside which is where he needs to be.

Moore played 34 minutes yesterday and averages 24 per game. Baker only 12. No way is Moore twice the player Baker is. I will take Baker shooting 5 3’s in a game but not Moore. Moore had great game vs BC because he worked inside which is where he needs to be.

So you would take baker shooting 3's even though he can't seem to make one and is a defensive liability over a guy that can score a little and play some defense? Oh ok that makes sense lol

At this point, I think if the team were to get back to back wins over GT and Clem this week it would do wonders for their confidence. I know that's obvious to point out. Just feeling for these guys right now. They definitely played hard yesterday. There's no questioning their effort. They're one of the youngest teams I have ever seen at Duke though. The turnovers, constant fouling, lack of consistently getting to the foul line, and continuing to lack an identity is really hurting the team. That said, I did see improvement yesterday.
What are you doing other than paraphrasing Coach K's postgame comments?

• Haha
Reactions: IFaZe
It is interesting to me to see how some here are shocked by this team - what did you expect? You have a team lacking veteran leadership, and you have a coach that is watching the game pass him by, still trying to force his 5-out vision on a team that really isn't good enough to utilize it to expose the opponent. Are Williams and Tape great? No, but one of those two needs to be anchoring the post in a more traditional line up. K refuses to play that way, though, so they will continue to struggle the rest of the way and will miss the tourney (as crazy as that is to type).

It is interesting to me to see how some here are shocked by this team - what did you expect? You have a team lacking veteran leadership, and you have a coach that is watching the game pass him by, still trying to force his 5-out vision on a team that really isn't good enough to utilize it to expose the opponent. Are Williams and Tape great? No, but one of those two needs to be anchoring the post in a more traditional line up. K refuses to play that way, though, so they will continue to struggle the rest of the way and will miss the tourney (as crazy as that is to type).

We would be so much better off if you were running the team with your years of basketball knowledge versus the guy who has seen "the game pass him by".

I’m beginning to wonder if Jalen will in fact get drafted this year. Going 19-19 against a small Coppin State (currently 6-9) but not coming close to replicating it against anyone else doesn’t blow me away. He’s not a great shooter, can’t dribble to create his shot, he makes lots of sloppy passes and fouls a lot. Does his high school career make him draft-worthy based on potential? Cassius, Tre and Vernon weren’t ready for prime time NBA, but at least they had a body of work that showed they could compete against high level Division 1 competition.

Johnson could not play another game and he will still go in the top 20 IMO. His stats are sort of irrelevant when it comes to his draft stock, he has the physical tools that can't be taught, and only a small number of basketball players have. The sequence when he came out of nowhere for a block against Pitt, and then went coast to coast for a dunk tells you all you need to know, the guy is a freak physically.

The NBA isn't drafting a 18/19 year old kid with the thought that this kid must come in and be ready immediately. 3-4 years down the road when it's time to decide on that next contract is what they are thinking about, and it's obvious that Johnson in 3-4 years will be a much more polished basketball player. He's huge, and he moves like a guard, just seems like he needs some more time to get used to his body and obviously work on the jumpshot.

Hurt is gonna leave, we will see how he fares, shooting is super important in today's NBA, but I think he has a long overseas career and makes tons of money doing it.

Thought you could figure it out. Not rocket science. The point is that you have no insight as to what is going on with the team, so you are reduced to paraphrasing Coach K's postgame comments which we all have already read...and wasting space on this board.

Yeah, I figured out you're a jerk. Here I thought this was an open forum where we could discuss the team. But you're just a prick and I am a K homer I guess.

What makes this even worse is Jalen Suggs actually wanted to come to Duke and they didn’t even want to recruit him. Smh

Yeah, I figured out you're a jerk. Here I thought this was an open forum where we could discuss the team. But you're just a prick and I am a K homer I guess.
Ooh! You got me. What new content did you add to Coach K's statement that you paraphrased? Nothing at all wrong with quoting Coach K, but you did not quote him and instead masqueraded his words with your paraphrasing with no attribution to him. Not quite plagiarizing, but close.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Ooh! You got me. What new content did you add to Coach K's statement that you paraphrased? Nothing at all wrong with quoting Coach K, but you did not quote him and instead masqueraded his words with your paraphrasing with no attribution to him. Not quite plagiarizing, but close.

Yep, you're a prick.

• Haha

Oh the irony. I just made a comment that you did not like (not bashing anyone at Duke) and you had a tizzy. Then you post this? Comedic gold. Guess this is the part where you call me a "jerk" or "prick" since that is your go-to rebuttal.

Reactions: Devilinside
I’m beginning to wonder if Jalen will in fact get drafted this year. Going 19-19 against a small Coppin State (currently 6-9) but not coming close to replicating it against anyone else doesn’t blow me away. He’s not a great shooter, can’t dribble to create his shot, he makes lots of sloppy passes and fouls a lot. Does his high school career make him draft-worthy based on potential? Cassius, Tre and Vernon weren’t ready for prime time NBA, but at least they had a body of work that showed they could compete against high level Division 1 competition.

You know darn well JJ will go first round based on hype alone. The talent is there and the ceiling is pretty high so the NBA will take a chance on him, earlier than later IMO.

Oh the irony. I just made a comment that you did not like (not bashing anyone at Duke) and you had a tizzy. Then you post this? Comedic gold. Guess this is the part where you call me a "jerk" or "prick" since that is your go-to rebuttal.

You're the residential medical professional, greatest arm chair coach ever, and all knowing. One doesn't simply respond to your posts with a simple rebuttal.

• Love
You're the residential medical professional, greatest arm chair coach ever, and all knowing. One doesn't simply respond to your posts with a simple rebuttal.

Well, when you can clearly refute anything I stated above (or any of my clinical posts), I will gladly engage and specify how I disagree. Otherwise, stick to being the resident toddler here :)

PS - I am nowhere near anything that is "all knowing", so I guess that is just another form of your petulant actions.

Reactions: Devilinside
People on here get so butt hurt and call people names when they don't agree with another person's opinion...or god forbid someone says a bad word about K

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT