ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS LOUISVILLE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

None of that will happen...so he’s the season is over...but I could see in that paradigm above where we are a lot better than we are now.

Hell K could even play another big at the 5 in that scenario and let Hurt play as a step out four.

Careful, there are some sensitive Sally’s on here about blaming this on OAD. You’re 100% correct though. Can’t have complete turnover every year and expect to compete the year you don’t have 3-4 top 10 recruits.
This is almost entirely created by the OAD system. It’s a terrible product.

Game recap and five observations from today's game. Tough loss.

College ball used to be PURE...Now add the pandemic/other political bs, I couldn’t care less what happens the rest of the season. Sad

Louisville went to the line 24 times; Duke just nine....and we only lose by 5 with several chances to tie or take the lead late.

Louisville went to the line 24 times; Duke just nine....and we only lose by 5 with several chances to tie or take the lead late.
On a related note, Toney from Pitt went from 17 FT vs Duke to 0 today vs WF.

Reactions: Quavarius
We are just soft as hell...hurt is very soft.,.how many rebounds was he out worked for and taken when his hands were on ball?

And I'll say it and don't care what people think but Baker is getting many more minutes than he should get....he brings nothing...sorry if this upsets anyone

We are just soft as hell...hurt is very soft.,.how many rebounds was he out worked for and taken when his hands were on ball?

And I'll say it and don't care what people think but Baker is getting many more minutes than he should get....he brings nothing...sorry if this upsets anyone

What does the great wendell bring?

Sounds great if the selection committee took close losses into account

This all still falls on coaching. The staff still can’t see that Hurt playing the 5 is not our best lineup. We are not a team that’s going to score a lot. Slow the game up and focus on defense. Low possession games. It’s simple. Then actually run offensive plays.

Reactions: geddoughton23
This is almost entirely created by the OAD system. It’s a terrible product.

no. The staff has chosen their team year after year and doesn’t develop the guys enough who stay behind to fill in roles that Aren’t satisfied from the years recruiting classes. We’ve got guys who can’t even be solid contributors who run through dukes system for 3-4 years. Look at O’Connell, a guy like him who’s played 4 years of high level ball and can’t even be a high level starter at a mid major. It’s sad. This isn’t a OAD system problem it’s a coaching problem

Hurt, Tre Jones, Kennard come to mind.
1 guy from every year isn’t development. Duke doesn’t develop guys well as a TEAM. I don’t know why some of you guys can’t see that. Of course duke develops a few guys. But the vast majority who aren’t prime time starters seem to get worse or improve very little.

Louisville drives the ball. Our guys don’t. Hell all they do is switch up top until the shot clock winds down and then they take a stupid shot. We had 7 assists tonight. I thought our offense looked better against VT and then we come out with this trash “do whatever you want” undisciplined offense again. It’s so pitiful to watch. I don’t know why k insists on so much freedom. We don’t have the talent to win playing this way

More than baker...he will at least have a stretch of good play...baker just runs up and down floor
In 34 minutes that Moore played Duke was -11.
‘In Baker’s 17 minutes Duke was plus 7 which was highest on the team.
‘Moore has no business trying 5 three PT shots in a game.
‘Baker was Duke’s best defender in the zone.

In 34 minutes that Moore played Duke was -11.
‘In Baker’s 17 minutes Duke was plus 7 which was highest on the team.
‘Moore has no business trying 5 three PT shots in a game.
‘Baker was Duke’s best defender in the zone.

Sorry I think that +/- stuff is garbage...don't show who they are on floor with...I just think baker has no business on the floor...never said moore was great just that imo he should play alot more than baker which is zero

I have eyes and see baker may be a lower lever D1 player

We’re not very good, obviously. I think I saw yesterday before the game that if we lost, our chances dipped to something like 17% to make the tournament. Ouch.

I’m trying my best to just cheer these kids on. It’s been a strange year for them (and every other college team too). I don’t think they’re as bad as they’re showing out....really need that good moment to happen for them. It was close with those three late attempts, but wasn’t meant to be. I do think some confidence right now can go a long ways with this group.

Sorry I think that +/- stuff is garbage...don't show who they are on floor with...I just think baker has no business on the floor...never said moore was great just that imo he should play alot more than baker which is zero

I have eyes and see baker may be a lower lever D1 player

Moore is shooting 35% on regular shots and 25% on threes while averaging 2 TO a game. Pretty much a junk player. Its hard to see how Baker is worse than that

Moore is shooting 35% on regular shots and 25% on threes while averaging 2 TO a game. Pretty much a junk player. Its hard to see how Baker is worse than that

Again never said moore was great but I've seen enough of baker to see he needs to be at a lower lever D1 school...moore can play a little defense...baker lol

We’re not very good, obviously. I think I saw yesterday before the game that if we lost, our chances dipped to something like 17% to make the tournament. Ouch.

I’m trying my best to just cheer these kids on. It’s been a strange year for them (and every other college team too). I don’t think they’re as bad as they’re showing out....really need that good moment to happen for them. It was close with those three late attempts, but wasn’t meant to be. I do think some confidence right now can go a long ways with this group.

At this point, I think if the team were to get back to back wins over GT and Clem this week it would do wonders for their confidence. I know that's obvious to point out. Just feeling for these guys right now. They definitely played hard yesterday. There's no questioning their effort. They're one of the youngest teams I have ever seen at Duke though. The turnovers, constant fouling, lack of consistently getting to the foul line, and continuing to lack an identity is really hurting the team. That said, I did see improvement yesterday.

Reactions: AlanInNJ and Liftee
I haven't seen the improvement that I expected but I do have confidence that we have a head coach who is historically a great teacher and he didn't suddenly lose it in one season. Everyone except Hurt is underperforming (Hurt IMO is functioning at his highest level considering his lack of athleticism). There's a lot of season left (hopefully) and I have to believe that Johnson/Roach/Steward can grow up a little in the next month or so.

At least that's what I hope and I will keep watching and rooting. What else is there to do?

I haven't seen the improvement that I expected but I do have confidence that we have a head coach who is historically a great teacher and he didn't suddenly lose it in one season. Everyone except Hurt is underperforming (Hurt IMO is functioning at his highest level considering his lack of athleticism). There's a lot of season left (hopefully) and I have to believe that Johnson/Roach/Steward can grow up a little in the next month or so.

At least that's what I hope and I will keep watching and rooting. What else is there to do?

The free throw disparity is the one thing that sticks out to me the most. I don't think I can ever remember a Duke team that fouls this much. K and the staff have their work cut out for them. Motivation during times of crisis is hard to come by. I just feel for the kids. You can tell they care. You're right about Hurt too. He is balling out the best he can. Has to be frustrating for him and for the whole team.

Well we probably aren't going to the tournament and that stinks. But I do see some improvement. We almost got a signature win yesterday. We need to develop guys for next year. Losing is painful; but if we could end the year on an upswing we'll be in good shape for next year. Hopefully guys will stay and buy in.

Offensively, we lack a great point guard who can get our offense going. Seems like a lot of dribbling around the perimeter, by several guys who aren’t very good dribblers to boot. How many times have we seen Hurt, Goldwire, Moore and Steward, in particular, lose their dribble? And then there’s the lazy pass syndrome that we seem to have embraced. I just get the feeling that they’re still trying to do stuff they could do and get away with in high school, but is ineffective in high level Division 1 basketball.
I keep hearing that we haven’t found our identity yet. Can someone explain to me what the hell that means? Is that just a PI way of saying we haven’t figured out how to play well yet?

Offensively, we lack a great point guard who can get our offense going. Seems like a lot of dribbling around the perimeter, by several guys who aren’t very good dribblers to boot. How many times have we seen Hurt, Goldwire, Moore and Steward, in particular, lose their dribble? And then there’s the lazy pass syndrome that we seem to have embraced. I just get the feeling that they’re still trying to do stuff they could do and get away with in high school, but is ineffective in high level Division 1 basketball.
I keep hearing that we haven’t found our identity yet. Can someone explain to me what the hell that means? Is that just a PI way of saying we haven’t figured out how to play well yet?
It means the coaching staff still haven’t figured out what to do with the team so they’re sticking to the same ineffective style and hoping it eventually works. It won’t. So we will most likely have a losing season. They’re focused on creating offensive matchups instead of realizing maybe it’s more important to be good defensively. Hurt at the 5 is not going to help us win anything

This is going to sound like I'm bashing Hurt and I'm really, really not. Hurt is a consistent scorer and is doing good work. But he shouldn't be our best player. During the off season, when everyone was talking about how Hurt would be our leader and go-to guy, this is the team I was expecting. Again, he's good. But Matthew Hurt isn't that dude. We don't have that guy.

I think Hurt being “the” guy is completely fine.. but it should be because he’s got so much help around him that he gets open shots all day long.. not because he’s playing like Dirk out there and nailing contested mid range fadeaway shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT