ADVERTISEMENT

Duke hired a new coach 40 years ago today....

A friend of mine posted about this on Facebook today and to think that the powers that be wanted Coach K fired after his first 2-3 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
I remember it well. I was 27 years old. Imagine that. A Duke buddy of mine and I were in a car and we heard it on the radio. Our reaction was who in the Sam Hill is that? Both of us started griping and wanted Tom Butters fired. A couple of pretty good coaches had been mentioned and one of those were who we were hoping it would be one of them. It's been so long I can't even remember who they were but for some reason Tom Davis of B.C. might have been one of them. Jim Sumner where you at whrn we need you. He would know for sure. Anyway we thought the choice sucked so we were prepared to go back to unc cheater u regulary kicking our carcuses again although Bill Foster had made us competetive again. We had Banks, Dennard and Vince Taylor returning and felt good about the upcoming season but agreed after Banks and Dennard it was gonna be so long and thanks. Of course we had a decent year but then came those two bad seasons but I remember for some reason Coach K growing on me and dean did not intimidate him. Then came the greatest recruiting class ever in my opinion even to this day when we got Dawkins, Alarie, Bilas, David Henderson and Billy Jackman who was Coach K's 1st transfer. Then after that came Amaker, Ferry, Phil Henderson, John Smith and Robert Brickey. Then it was Laettner, Hurley and Grant Hill and it was on. I'm so grateful for Tom Butters and the fact that he was a lot smarter than myself. Because of Coach K not only has he turned Duke into THE best program in the country but if he had never ca e to Duke I would have never got to know such a wonderful group of Duke fans that are on this board. I'm tearing up a little here and if any of you had the patience to read this essay through, thanks. It's always been great to be a Duke fan but because of Coach K it's also been wonderful. May God bless Coach K. OFC

that’s what I wanted to hear
Have we ever had a thread for who is going to replace me? I’ve got maybe 10 national championships in me before I call it quits. Who will be leading Duke when I retire after ten years?

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT