ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Saturday is a game we'd better not take lightly. Considering the funk the Hokies are in,(a losing streak that includes TWO STRAIGHT ONE POINT Ls,) this is potentially a dangerous, wounded animal of a team with blood In its eye!!!

I don't think for one minute Elko we'll not have Duke ready. We need that 7th win to improve our bowl status, show complacency has not set in, and put a little pressure on UNC Saturday nite at Wake.We are still not eliminated mathematically from the Coastal!!! OFC

Great write-up Conor. I assume the defensive backfield was a point of emphasis in the past week. How the O Line survives yet another loss will be interesting.

If Duke gets back to a positive turnover ratio I think we win.

solid win. once again i think the offense was a ''B'' grade. the defense outside the first possession for va tech gets an ''A'' for me. the offensive line made some adjustments after the first quarter and played solidly. the receivers really helped riley out today. they made some great catches.
you know whats crazy to me is that we got 427 yds of offense and i still dont think we were that sharp. riley missed several big throws that if he hit we would be saying WOW we are a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:
I can't express how pleased and excited I am with Duke football this year. Those who know me pretty well know I respect and love Coach Cut. He did bring Duke football out of the lowest era ever. His time like many others had come to pass. He won quite a few games for us and I will always be grateful. I went to a Duke football way before I went to a Duke basketball game. I actuallty have been to more football games than basketball. I sat beside Coach Bill Murray once and what a thrill it was to watch a Duke football game with him. The first game I ever went to Scotty Glacken was the QB, I was at the game where Leo Hart and Wes Chesson pulled the famous shoe string play on cheater u. I've seen Tony Dorsett and George Rogers play the year they won the Heisman Trophy. Riley is one heck of a QB and will get better. Duke will get better. With some breaks we could be undefeated. I really believe that. I hope we can keep Coach Elko. That is so important. I think we have the money to do it but his goals have to be high. He's thinking natty. What does Duke need to do besides getting their share of the best prep players in the nation to attend Duke. Facility upgrades? What are some others. You guys know Duke football so well. Ideas? OFC

I can't express how pleased and excited I am with Duke football this year. Those who know me pretty well know I respect and love Coach Cut. He did bring Duke football out of the lowest era ever. His time like many others had come to pass. He won quite a few games for us and I will always be grateful. I went to a Duke football way before I went to a Duke basketball game. I actuallty have been to more football games than basketball. I sat beside Coach Bill Murray once and what a thrill it was to watch a Duke football game with him. The first game I ever went to Scotty Glacken was the QB, I was at the game where Leo Hart and Wes Chesson pulled the famous shoe string play on cheater u. I've seen Tony Dorsett and George Rogers play the year they won the Heisman Trophy. Riley is one heck of a QB and will get better. Duke will get better. With some breaks we could be undefeated. I really believe that. I hope we can keep Coach Elko. That is so important. I think we have the money to do it but his goals have to be high. He's thinking natty. What does Duke need to do besides getting their share of the best prep players in the nation to attend Duke. Facility upgrades? What are some others. You guys know Duke football so well. Ideas? OFC
Sky I have heard the Yoh Center needs some refurbishing. Kids are so impressed by facilities now!!! Winning however is a great promotion, and Coach Elko should ride the wave for a while. Also a nice bowl this year would bring nice exposure. Thrilled with today and 7-3!!! OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
solid win. once again i think the offense was a ''B'' grade. the defense outside the first possession for va tech gets an ''A'' for me. the offensive line made some adjustments after the first quarter and played solidly. the receivers really helped riley out today. they made some great catches.
you know whats crazy to me is that we got 427 yds of offense and i still dont think we were that sharp. riley missed several big throws that if he hit we would be saying WOW we are a force to be reckoned with.
I think our banged-up O-line was great. They gave Riley lots of time to go through his reads (something Riley needs to work on, as he missed throwing to a few wide open receivers). I thought we came out flat, though, starting with a poor decision to run out the opening kickoff, then the missed long ball to Calhoun, the shanked punt, then the long ball by Tech. But after that, we fired up the machine and, as aside from the pick thrown near the end zone, looked quite good. I’m optimistic about our next 2 games, and expect to win at least 1 of them, if not both.

The thing the ACC should be afraid about is Riley can get a lot better. I'm not a QB expert but I know what I see, and his release is low, kind of 3/4 arm. If he gets off season tutoring he could be a lot more accurate next year and with his intelligence and running ability he will be as good as the guy who plays for the Cheaters.

The O line will need rebuilding because several guys are leaving but I trust in Elko and his staff to bring in a transfer or two and not miss a beat.

The future of Duke football is unbelievably bright!

In other Duke football related news, Daniel Jones had a great first 3 quarters yesterday, going 13-17, and was rewarded with the coaches limiting him to 0, that's zero, throws in the fourth quarter, instead opting for a series of 3 and outs as Barkley repeatedly got tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage. The Giants (whom I root for) got lucky on a couple defensive stops to win 24-16.

Clearly the coaches do not trust Daniel, even with his great stats the first 3 quarters and his solid play this entire season. It's a shame but it never was so obvious as it was yesterday.

In other Duke football related news, Daniel Jones had a great first 3 quarters yesterday, going 13-17, and was rewarded with the coaches limiting him to 0, that's zero, throws in the fourth quarter, instead opting for a series of 3 and outs as Barkley repeatedly got tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage. The Giants (whom I root for) got lucky on a couple defensive stops to win 24-16.

Clearly the coaches do not trust Daniel, even with his great stats the first 3 quarters and his solid play this entire season. It's a shame but it never was so obvious as it was yesterday.
Jones was magnificent. Even if the coaches didn't want to throw, they should have designed runs for Jones. Saquon is on my Fantasy team, yet I still thought that the coaches were trying to kill Saquon Barkley. 35 carries in the NFL for one back is crazy.

Use Breida or other backup or some wide receiver screens. I was shocked seeing Kenny Golladay play. Slayton looked faster than I've ever seen him.

The Giants must have hated Kadarius Toney. They traded him for a bag of beans and now he looks great for the Kansas City Chiefs

Last edited:
You're trying to get me in trouble, @surfdevil! haha.

It's been a weird season in Winston. I hate the "tale of two halves" cliché but it kinda applies to Wake's season. They're a play away from being 6-0 with wins over Liberty, Clemson and FSU in consecutive weeks -- those teams are a combined 23-4 in games not involving WF. But in the second half of the year they're 1-3 and even the win, 28 points against BC, had some flaws that were masked by the lopsided score.

To answer your question: No, I never thought Duke had much of a chance to have a better record than Wake at this point. That kinda has much to do with me thinking they *could* win another 9 or 10 games as it does with low expectations for Duke. I just finished writing into a Q&A for the Pitt site that you could tell Duke's vibe was different in spring and fall camps, but it still felt like they'd struggle this season.

I'll just have to flaunt that I wasn't one of the many who picked Duke last in the Coastal -- I had them all the way up to 6th! hahaha.

I did think Wake's floor was lower than most others did, though. Their O-line has struggled and I've said since the preseason that it was going to take a step backward, having seen its LT become a 4th-round pick and starter for the Packers. Also thought their defense wouldn't magically become a top-25 unit with a coordinator change. And truthfully, I like Lyle Hemphill. I think he was put into a difficult situation at Wake and did his absolute best. So I'll leave you with this: Wake forced 29 turnovers in 14 games last season; Wake doesn't have a single defensive takeaway in these last 3 losses.

You're trying to get me in trouble, @surfdevil! haha.

It's been a weird season in Winston. I hate the "tale of two halves" cliché but it kinda applies to Wake's season. They're a play away from being 6-0 with wins over Liberty, Clemson and FSU in consecutive weeks -- those teams are a combined 23-4 in games not involving WF. But in the second half of the year they're 1-3 and even the win, 28 points against BC, had some flaws that were masked by the lopsided score.

To answer your question: No, I never thought Duke had much of a chance to have a better record than Wake at this point. That kinda has much to do with me thinking they *could* win another 9 or 10 games as it does with low expectations for Duke. I just finished writing into a Q&A for the Pitt site that you could tell Duke's vibe was different in spring and fall camps, but it still felt like they'd struggle this season.

I'll just have to flaunt that I wasn't one of the many who picked Duke last in the Coastal -- I had them all the way up to 6th! hahaha.

I did think Wake's floor was lower than most others did, though. Their O-line has struggled and I've said since the preseason that it was going to take a step backward, having seen its LT become a 4th-round pick and starter for the Packers. Also thought their defense wouldn't magically become a top-25 unit with a coordinator change. And truthfully, I like Lyle Hemphill. I think he was put into a difficult situation at Wake and did his absolute best. So I'll leave you with this: Wake forced 29 turnovers in 14 games last season; Wake doesn't have a single defensive takeaway in these last 3 losses.
Good synopsis Conor.

OFC

I don’t know how many among us listen to the Duke Football Radio Show each week, but this week’s episode is particularly good. It just reinforced my feeling that we got the best candidate for the HC job. I’m even more optimistic, not just for the remainder of the season, but going forward. https://goduke.com/podcasts/duke-football-radio-show-november-16/588

Listening to it now. It is remarkable the way Elko has turned around the attitude of the team. Last year, it was obvoius they gave up at half time in a load of games. Teams were intentionally slowing down their offenses early in the second half because it was obvious Duke didn't have the heart to make a comeback. This year, these guys can't wait to get back into the weight room and are eager to improve.

Very uninspired performance today, with lots of mental mistakes, including the decision to go for 2 when it was 28-20. Definitely a game we should have won against a weaker opponent. Some good individual performances, starting with Jordan Moore.

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT