ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

I honestly thought Duke football fans would get this right away. You guys should be ashamed. No hints. At least for a while. OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
Good points as usual Conor, nice selection of questions you had. I wasn't aware Jayhawks had started last two games down 14-0 on road, yet still rallied. Their obvious ability and sheer confidence Daniels and Co have built on offense is a concern. I still see us prevailing in the end.

OFC

I'm surprised that the game starts at noon. That's 11:00 am Central time in Lawrence Kansas. Game is on FS-1. Spread has come down some. Kansas favored by 7.5 and total is 67

I'm surprised that the game starts at noon. That's 11:00 am Central time in Lawrence Kansas. Game is on FS-1. Spread has come down some. Kansas favored by 7.5 and total is 67
They're expecting a sellout in Lawrence for the first time in years. Jayhawks fans are really excited about this team, and it's a true barometer for Duke before conference play.

Regardless this Duke team has a "want to" attitude I haven't seen from the players in years. I am sticking with a 6-0 start theory I had prior to the season. Thus my Saturday pick to win: DUKE

OFC

Preview for tomorrow's game. (free)

As a programming note: I'll be keeping up with the game as best I can while at Clemson-Wake Forest. I'll have at least one story on Duke's game here tomorrow but am kind of playing things by ear to see how each game plays out before making any final decisions on how much time I spend on one game or the other, or both.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Judging by the WVU-Va Tech game last night, and the way BC is playing, regardless of how Duke does tomorrow, there should be winnable games in the future.
Completely agree. Looking at Duke's ACC schedule, I see a pretty clean split of four winnable games and four games that, while not impossible, would be tough games to win.

Four winnable: Virginia, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Virginia Tech.

Four upsets: UNC, Miami, Pitt and Wake Forest.

I wouldn't argue too vehemently against UNC bumping up to being winnable ... very curious how tomorrow goes for them.

Preview for tomorrow's game. (free)

As a programming note: I'll be keeping up with the game as best I can while at Clemson-Wake Forest. I'll have at least one story on Duke's game here tomorrow but am kind of playing things by ear to see how each game plays out before making any final decisions on how much time I spend on one game or the other, or both.
Totally understand. We appreciate all you do Conor!!!

OFC

Completely agree. Looking at Duke's ACC schedule, I see a pretty clean split of four winnable games and four games that, while not impossible, would be tough games to win.

I wouldn't argue too vehemently against UNC bumping up to being winnable ... very curious how tomorrow goes for them.

I see what you did there. If Duke splits the 4 winnable games, then it needs to win one of the tough games to go bowling. That's assuming a loss tomorrow where a win would solve a lot of problems.

So, is Kansas winnable or not? OFC

So, is Kansas winnable or not? OFC
Per your question DI, as you might expect we're going to really have to work hard to gain respect. Espn.com predictor gives Duke only a 27% chance to win over the Jayhawks.

Still if I were a betting man, I would fall in that 27%. We will know soon enough. Regardless, I am FULLY BEHIND these Duke boys win or lose, headed into ACC play next week.

OFC

This Kansas offense is every bit as good as advertised. Our offense is going to have to score every time it has the ball to stay in the game. Can be done, Kansas' defense is not great, but it's a tall order.

Duke has a chance. Very nice job by Ham to make the FG at the end of the half despite a bad hold.

Great job of booting kickoffs out of the endzone. A nice kickoff return to start the TD drive. A 50 yard net punt.

Leonard is a good QB. He gives Duke a chance in the second half.

The defense needs to add at least five more fast players before having a fighting chance against a good offense.

Duke is doing a pretty good job of keeping the pace slow and limiting possessions

We made it a game and had drive to possible tie at the end but come up short. Not too heartbroken over this one. We faired better than WV and Houston. Both QB’s looked really good.
Proud of this Duke team!!! Never, ever gave up and took the fight to KU to the very end. We should be ready for UVA in Durham Saturday!

OFC

Too many missed tackles and wide open receivers, but we can't erase 3 years of futility in 1/3 of a season. I am confident we have better coaching to address those issues.

We seemed to give Riley good protection but couldn't run the ball consistently which forced our defense to play too many minutes. We knew that was a key coming in.

We questioned how our team would react to being behind. The answer was, like champs! Never stopped battling. I'm proud of them.

The UVA game is critical, both for bowl eligibility as well as to see where we stand with ACC teams. I feel like we are really going to be ready!

@Devilinside @Liftee you both make SOUND points. I think one factor which would help the secondary is getting to the qb more. Of course, Daniels is the most elusive running qb and dangerous passer IMO we will see this year.

Obviously the ball coverage must be better, and the poor tackling(arm tackling) on the backend must be remedied. We have a coach and staff who really want to win, and some really hungry players!

WE NEVER QUIT!! A Cutcliffe team of recent vintage would have rolled over @ 28-13, and we would have lost by thirty.

Let's come home and get Virginia. Cut was O for Bronco Mendenhall, (never beat him in six tries). However Bronco is gone. We got an upgrade as our coach, and I don't think this UVA team has found its footing yet under its own new staff.

I like our chances next week.We simply cannot have a mental block because of our recent struggles against the Cavs, and AWFUL ACC play in general.

OFC

I like our offense and really impressed with Riley. Kansas has a good team and we were in the game and had chances. I feel better about our Duke team and effort than the Carolina fans do about their defensive effort against the Irish. Promise you that
King I am sure UNC will raise their game against us, seems they always do. However I am puzzled their defense isn't stronger. They definitely have the athletes and DC Gene Chizik's return was hailed by the media as just the magic formula to turn their "D" around this year.

Chizik has to be to the most media popular assistant coach in college football. Half of UNC's games are shots of him in the booth.

OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
King I am sure UNC will raise their game against us, seems they always do. However I am puzzled their defense isn't stronger. They definitely have the athletes and DC Gene Chizik's return was hailed by the media as just the magic formula to turn their "D" around this year.

Chizik has to be to the most media popular assistant coach in college football. Half of UNC's games are shots of him in the booth.

OFC
Were it not for the biased referees (many were Irish), UNCheat would have won this game. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT