ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

BTW, has anybody noticed that Kansas is 2-0? They beat up on Tenn Tech at home (no big deal), but beat West Virginia away in OT, 55-42. They have scored 111 points in 2 games. They don’t appear to be the patsies we were looking forward to…

Will be big if we can beat them of course but NC&T is a must win. One game at a time. I'm feeling positive waves about Duke and Coach Elko as Sgt Oddball would say in the movie Kelly's Heroes. I saw somewhere that it's possible that Elko could lead us into a bowl game his 1st year at Duke. Yes it's possible but way too early to think about that. If we go ahead and best NC&T and then beat Kansas then we have four wins and then we can start talking the possibilty of a bowl game. To my understanding six wins is bowl eligible but cheater u got in last year with five. I don't want to be just bowl eligible I want to be bowl worthy. That may take another year or so but this Duke football fan will be grateful for every win. OFC

BTW, has anybody noticed that Kansas is 2-0? They beat up on Tenn Tech at home (no big deal), but beat West Virginia away in OT, 55-42. They have scored 111 points in 2 games. They don’t appear to be the patsies we were looking forward to…
Man, not to toot my own horn ... but I was impressed with them last year and wrote/said that quite a bit in the preseason. Lance Leipold should be Nebraska's Plan B if they don't snare Matt Campbell. He's just such a good coach and nobody gives him credit because he hasn't had the traditional climb-the-ladder path.

Surf, you may be correct. But the O line did not distinguish itself on those last couple plays before the field goal.
So, working on this from the Wake Forest angle because they failed to punch in three straight runs from inside the 2 early against Vanderbilt ...

One of the factors I've been writing about is that offenses aren't efficient in short-yardage situations early in the season because teams don't go full contact, live-tackling in goal-line situations in fall camp because of the injury risk. It takes the offense time to get ramped up for those situations in the first few games -- offenses rely on timing, while defenses just fire off of the ball and know that 80-90% of the time, it's going to be a run, so their task is pretty simple, making the O-line's job a lot harder in the process (if that makes sense).

Every team is different, but a good deal of that probably applies to Duke at the end of the game, too.

So, working on this from the Wake Forest angle because they failed to punch in three straight runs from inside the 2 early against Vanderbilt ...

One of the factors I've been writing about is that offenses aren't efficient in short-yardage situations early in the season because teams don't go full contact, live-tackling in goal-line situations in fall camp because of the injury risk. It takes the offense time to get ramped up for those situations in the first few games -- offenses rely on timing, while defenses just fire off of the ball and know that 80-90% of the time, it's going to be a run, so their task is pretty simple, making the O-line's job a lot harder in the process (if that makes sense).

Every team is different, but a good deal of that probably applies to Duke at the end of the game, too.
Duke's short yardage red zone offense finally came to life with a TD toward the end of the NW game. On the other had, they were 0 for 5 on TD tries in the second half against Temple. I think the kids have a lot to learn after being so predictable under Cut. The A & T game is a great opportunity to test different red zone schemes.

OFC

Agree, their win at WVU and blowing up the scoreboard surprised me. I suspect we'll be about a touchdown road dog when we venture out there next week.

OFC

Hadn't noticed. Very interesting! Kansas improved over the course of last season. They won at Texas in a game in which both teams scored in the high 50s.

55-42 is quite the overtime score. I'm trying to remember the game. At least 20 years ago I bet on a west coast game getting 9 points that went to overtime. The other team scored and my team threw a pick6 for the heart breaking loss

Elko has the team way ahead of schedule. Jeffrey236 pointed out that Kansas is good this season. They beat a pretty good Houston team today... something like 48-30. I admire hart2chesson for his optimism all along. Duke appears to be better than Virginia and Georgia Tech. Duke appears to be competent in all three phases. It will be tough to slow Kansas and UNC, but certainly possible.

Reactions: jeffrey236
We got what we were hoping for last night, namely a chance to look at the guys lower on the depth chart. They clearly have some work to do as a unit, but there were some positive signs that suggest there are bench guys who could be helpful if needed. I would have liked to see Ham get a chance to kick a long FG, but that’s not a complaint!

Next week will be a great test for us. If we win that, we’ll start getting some national attention.

BTW, this game was advertised as a sellout (I know that takes into account tickets that were given away). The stands didn’t look more than 50%, if that.

PFF snap counts can vary a little bit from what the team records -- I think because PFF doesn't include special teams plays -- but here's a quick breakdown:

Duke's offense played 51 total snaps: 22 players played at least 10, with Graham Barton and Jacob Monk playing the most (38 each).

Duke's defense played 64 snaps: 25 players played at least 10, with the top 4 secondary players playing the most -- Datrone Young 50, Darius Joiner 49, Jaylen Stinson 48, Brandon Johnson 47.

I'm guessing the staff would've liked a little bit more distribution ... but compared to last weekend it was light work. Shaka Heyward only played 38 snaps.

ICYMI on Twitter, Dorian Mausi didn't play. He's dealing with a lower back injury but was suited up and available if needed.

19 for 190 yards -- they got a little too handsy/grabby in the secondary against Northwestern and you'd like to think they cleaned that up against N.C. A&T. This week will test that growth more, though.
Thanks, Conor! Grabby, physical, bumping is good with me in college. The maximum penalty is 15 yards. I think the average play in college is about 6 yards. I hate false starts and other lazy penalties, but some holding in the secondary works for me

Funny, that's basically what coaches will say. The 15-yard facemasks (unless blatant), the physical play in the secondary, most of those will get some type of "well he shouldn't have done that but it's in the heat of the play, he's competing, etc."

It's the lack-of-focus penalties like delay of game, false starts, offsides, procedural stuff -- so like, all of the 5-yarders -- that coaches will spend more time harping on needing to get cleaned up.

Yes, every year there is some elaborate chart showing who-beat-who and concluding that the Southwest Dade County Community College (just to throw an absurd name out there - not even sure they exist) was really the true college powerhouse that year, even though they only won 1 game. It’s always kind of entertaining, but is ultimately meaningless. Nonetheless, by any measure, Kansas will be a big challenge for us.

Trivia. Who will be the next Duke football player to be inducted into the Duke Athletics HOF on Dec. 6, 2022 ? OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT