ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Sky, like ged said- please don't stop posting. One of the reasons I began posting here was your heavy involvement. Now I almost feel like "Senior Old Fart" without you posting as frequently! Lol!!

To your question about a timetable for Elko to turn things around, I would concur with ged. About three yrs.

Also I think our outstanding beat writer @ConorONeill gave a great answer to the Elko turnaround dilemma. Duke leads the NATION with 20 plus '23 recruits. That shows you quite a bit about the very underdeveloped group Elko & co. inherited in Durham. Give him time,WE HAVE THE RIGHT GUY!! OFC
You ain't "senior", Junior.
OFC

I can't wait to witness a WR pass from Moore in a pivotal moment in an ACC game.

Calhoun, Diamont and now Moore have switched from quarterback to wide receiver. A wide receiver pass could be a very real option for this team.

Confusing a defense is a good thing, As long as you don't confuse your offense along the way.

Let's go back to defense. One thing I am hoping our new defense eliminates is opponents' swing passes which were totally uncovered and resulted in huge gains time after time. Cut could never quite figure out how to stop them. OFC
Think the optimism for this changing and the defense as a whole being better lies more in scheme change than an elevated talent level. Bringing in a former DC as coach isn't going to turn Duke into a defensive powerhouse right away, but it does bring an immediate change in scheme. It's still a 4-2-5 base, but I think you'll see more man coverage.

The dark humor reason for optimism is you can't get worse than dead last in the FBS in yards allowed per game.

Think the optimism for this changing and the defense as a whole being better lies more in scheme change than an elevated talent level. Bringing in a former DC as coach isn't going to turn Duke into a defensive powerhouse right away, but it does bring an immediate change in scheme. It's still a 4-2-5 base, but I think you'll see more man coverage.

The dark humor reason for optimism is you can't get worse than dead last in the FBS in yards allowed per game.

Two more reasons for optimism. This team has prioritized tackling in a big way. And this is a staff full of teachers. I've seen very few missed tackles in the two scrimmages and several practices I've watched.

Secondly, this team has undergone a physical transformation. Those social media posts of guys going gonzo in the weight room are not just hype. These guys are stronger, quicker and better conditioned than their immediate predecessors and I expect that to pay off on the field.

Good news! All this physical improvement may not pay off in wins right away but it has to improve the product on the field and make games more competitive. Last year was...unwatchable.
Agreed Liftee, "unwatchable!!"

OFC

From Temple’s Rivals page:

“If Temple finds itself needing a game-winning touchdown catch in the closing moments of its season opener at Duke on Sept. 2, getting the ball to redshirt senior wide receiver
Adonicas Sanders might be a good – and proven – option.

The Georgia Tech transfer caught 65 passes for 834 yards in his four seasons on the field with the Yellow Jackets. Two of his four career touchdown catches came against Duke, including a 36-yard scoring reception with just 51 seconds left to play last October in Durham to lift Georgia Tech to a 31-27 win over the Blue Devils.
“I don't know what it is against Duke,” Sanders told reporters earlier this week during Monday’s media availability. “I always have a great game against Duke, and I’m ready to play them September 2.””

Reactions: geddoughton23

“If Temple finds itself needing a game-winning touchdown catch in the closing moments of its season opener at Duke on Sept. 2, getting the ball to redshirt senior wide receiver

The Georgia Tech transfer caught 65 passes for 834 yards in his four seasons on the field with the Yellow Jackets. Two of his four career touchdown catches came against Duke, including a 36-yard scoring reception with just 51 seconds left to play last October in Durham to lift Georgia Tech to a 31-27 win over the Blue Devils.
“I don't know what it is against Duke,” Sanders told reporters earlier this week during Monday’s media availability. “I always have a great game against Duke, and I’m ready to play them September 2.””
We better come ready to play. As of today Duke is an 8 pt favorite, but Temple is in our boat. New coach, New attitude!! OFC

In 1961 Bill Cosby played fullback for Temple. Just saying. OFC

Few coaches in the country are better fits than Pat Fitzgerald/Northwestern. Seems like every time they have a bad season, it's followed with a good/great one.
True Conor, seems like a lot of feast or famine with Fitz's teams.Looks like we're catching them on the upswing. Right now for me it's all about TEMPLE.

OFC

First depth chart is out:

Initial thoughts:

- I'm kinda shocked at RG, I thought for sure that would be McIntyre or Pickett. Readjusting, I think Chance Lytle starts at RG.
- The "OR" for Pancol or Harding feels ... generous. Pancol was clearly ahead of him from what I saw.
- I wouldn't invest too much stock in Jordan Moore as a third-string receiver. I think he plays a lot more than your typical third-teamer.
- The ORs for the cornerback positions are a little surprising, but I still think Young and Pickett start and play the majority of snaps. Davis and Rivers are going to play a decent amount, though.

First depth chart is out:

Initial thoughts:

- I'm kinda shocked at RG, I thought for sure that would be McIntyre or Pickett. Readjusting, I think Chance Lytle starts at RG.
- The "OR" for Pancol or Harding feels ... generous. Pancol was clearly ahead of him from what I saw.
- I wouldn't invest too much stock in Jordan Moore as a third-string receiver. I think he plays a lot more than your typical third-teamer.
- The ORs for the cornerback positions are a little surprising, but I still think Young and Pickett start and play the majority of snaps. Davis and Rivers are going to play a decent amount, though.
Conor, do you think Duke is trying to keep Moore a secret with having him officially 3rd string?

things i have noticed or read
hall at dt for 3rd down passing situations
7 transfers on the two deep
elko said terry moore nipping at the heels of named rbs
elko also said wall and belin could see the field if needed
walk-on larbie in two deep at dt?
no rocky shelton or mandela tobin?

Reactions: Devilinside
things i have noticed or read
hall at dt for 3rd down passing situations
7 transfers on the two deep
elko said terry moore nipping at the heels of named rbs
elko also said wall and belin could see the field if needed
walk-on larbie in two deep at dt?
no rocky shelton or mandela tobin?
Michael Larbie is another example of this staff backing up the "we don't care about what you've done under the previous staff" mantra. Another way of putting it: I had no idea he was a walk-on. He consistently played with the second-team all camp.

You know how I've been writing about Cam Dillon's emergence at LB? Rocky Shelton not appearing is the casualty.

I need to ask about Tobin -- I'm not sure I ever saw him on the field. He might be one of the (very few) injured guys.

oh yeah the other thing i was surprised/happy about is jaylen coleman getting the nod at rb. this means he is finally recovered from the knee injury he suffered. hope elko is right and rivals missed on another. 5.3 was not a good rating. of course our last 5.3 guy is playing for the chiefs on sunday so there is that.

If you're handicapping who's going to be Duke's leading rusher this season, I think it's a toss-up between Jaylen Coleman and Jaquez Moore for the favorite. Jordan Waters is right there, too.

Not to be a broken record, but they really are deep at running back. Now, that might just mean that they're all the same skill level and that overall level is not going to be that good (I don't think is the case, but you never really know until games begin). But it tells you this season is going to be just about the opposite of last year when it comes to running back usage.

Of course, @jimlsumner made an excellent point before interviews last week that Jordan Moore would be the favorite if he were the starting QB.

I hate to be the pessimist, but just because there is experience on the O line doesn't mean they will be road graders. I'm just really hoping the strength and conditioning program made these guys tougher and stronger.

Reactions: geddoughton23
For those of you that don’t know, Conor and I have a podcast and we talked in-depth on who will be breakout players for Duke in Week 1. We also had a Temple fan on to give us a behind the curtain look at their program. Hope you guys enjoy!

I hate to be the pessimist, but just because there is experience on the O line doesn't mean they will be road graders. I'm just really hoping the strength and conditioning program made these guys tougher and stronger.
In my opinion, our projected offensive line should be a source of optimism, not only because it has to be better than what we had last year. Elko has recrafted the line through the transfer portal. Averages 314 with lots of experience. These are intelligent, well conditioned kids. Excited to see how they do. OFC

In my opinion, our projected offensive line should be a source of optimism, not only because it has to be better than what we had last year. Elko has recrafted the line through the transfer portal. Averages 314 with lots of experience. These are intelligent, well conditioned kids. Excited to see how they do. OFC
I agree. Duke has added 329-pound Chase Lytle and 312-pound Andre Harris to the starting line. And note that Maurice McIntyre is down to a relatively svelte 319, the best shape he's been in at Duke. He has been as high as 340. The emphases under the new staff have included increased physicality, increased strength, increased explosion, all of which would seem to bode well for the offensive line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT