ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

It's a balancing act with the O-line, IMO. We heard a lot from coaches about how strong the O-line was in the spring -- and then they moved Jacob Monk to a position he'd barely played (center) and added two transfers who look like they'll start (Lytle and Harris).

To my mostly untrained eyes, the line looked good in both the spring and 3 weeks of camp we saw. But as everything is a catch-22 with preseason football, you don't really know what you have until you line up against other teams.

Per the Mandela Tobin/Ahmad Craig questions -- Knock on wood, but this team is ridiculously healthy right now. So if they're not out with injuries, which I understand it as they're not, it's performance-based. Doesn't mean you won't see them in big roles later; just that they're not starting the season with large roles.

I'm going to post a few videos that my guy Jacey Zembal (N.C. State site publisher) has put together from last week's Reagan-Grimsley game.

Semaj Turner, '23 DE, commit:

Landan Callahan, '24 DB, offered:

Bryce Davis, '25 DE, just picked up offer on Saturday:

Faizon Brandon, '26 QB, already offered by ECU; he led Grimsley's comeback and is a big name to know in NC:

Reactions: geddoughton23
I'm going to post a few videos that my guy Jacey Zembal (N.C. State site publisher) has put together from last week's Reagan-Grimsley game.

Semaj Turner, '23 DE, commit:

Landan Callahan, '24 DB, offered:

Bryce Davis, '25 DE, just picked up offer on Saturday:

Faizon Brandon, '26 QB, already offered by ECU; he led Grimsley's comeback and is a big name to know in NC:

Semaj Turner looks like a man amongst boys. I haven’t seen anything like that since Jonathan Kingsley

sorry i dont know how to get the pictures from duke football twitter. the helmet is white for this weekend. they have almost doubled the size of the iron D. got rid of that stupid fat stripe. also now has the players number on the back of the helmet with bleed blue underneath that. blue jersey white pants. the field has blue endzones with DUKE written in white. the sidelines will have GRIND on one side and BLEED BLUE on the other. it looks fantastic.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Preview story and notes for tonight.

Ideally this gets done the day before games, not 5 hours before kickoff -- my bad. Been dealing with a nasty sinus headache (I think). I'll be on the way to Durham fairly soon.
Better late than never!! Thanks. Hopefully Duke keeps the ACC undefeated. Spread is encouraging. Duke is favored by 9.5 up from 8 earlier in the week. Total is a low 51

Could not be happier for a bunch of guys who truly look like they love COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!! I am talking about Duke Football Players and Coaches!!!!

I just wanted a win. I know it was only Temple, but hey after the last few years, we're "ONLY DUKE." I had no illusions of a BLOWOUT SHUTOUT!!!

So much of what Conor talked about was on display: Hagens is a baller and a receiving threat, we do have a stable of capable RBs, Jordan Moore has got to be on the field, etc.

I am THRILLED overall. However it gets much tougher and quickly. I think NW is much better than last year, and they will be waiting for us. Celebrate a little, but keep that fire in your belly boys! BTW, we got us a real COACH, and STAFF!!!!
#LetsGoDuke

OFC

Could not be happier for a bunch of guys who truly look like they love COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!! I am talking about Duke Football Players and Coaches!!!!

I just wanted a win. I know it was only Temple, but hey after the last few years, we're "ONLY DUKE." I had no illusions of a BLOWOUT SHUTOUT!!!

So much of what Conor talked about was on display: Hagens is a baller and a receiving threat, we do have a stable of capable RBs, Jordan Moore has got to be on the field, etc.

I am THRILLED overall. However it gets much tougher and quickly. I think NW is much better than last year, and they will be waiting for us. Celebrate a little, but keep that fire in your belly boys! BTW, we got us a real COACH, and STAFF!!!!
#LetsGoDuke

OFC
Really happy with the result, the defense, and the offense. Glad to see that we now know how to defend the edge. Disappointed in wasting red zone opportunities in the second half and Charlie Ham inconsistencies. Hopefully we did not show everything in this game and have a bunch of surprises for NW. OFC

Forgot to post this last night -- main story from last night.
Great bringing the history of the UNC massacre into the story Conor! Thank you! Also some of the polarizing stats are amazing, per team yardage for instance. We DOMINATED! Like @Devilinside I hope we can get our place kicking duties consistent in practice this week! OFC

I'm willing to concede that Temple was bad, but there still were good signs. Leonard looked very good and very athletic; the receivers caught all the balls that in previous years were dropped; and the tackling was sure. Those qualities will help against the better teams.

Q&A about Northwestern with the publisher of their site.

Some interesting stuff there, free to read.

In full transparency, I've always been against running these "opposing beat Q&A's" because I feel like it's creating more work for somebody in the profession, when it's just as easy to do the research myself and write a "5 things to know ...". But I've found some value in them as long as the questions aren't basic (like: What does Team X do well offensively), so in weeks that an exchange can be worked out, I'm planning on running Q&A's like this one.

Nebraska fell in love with the pass against northwestern. If they had pounded the run 15 more times, Northwestern would have cracked. And the onside kick was idiotic. It gave Northwestern a huge lift

I'm glad Northwestern spent another day in Ireland. A great place to visit
Amen on the onside kick ged- "idiotic" for sure.

OFC

Q&A about Northwestern with the publisher of their site.

Some interesting stuff there, free to read.

In full transparency, I've always been against running these "opposing beat Q&A's" because I feel like it's creating more work for somebody in the profession, when it's just as easy to do the research myself and write a "5 things to know ...". But I've found some value in them as long as the questions aren't basic (like: What does Team X do well offensively), so in weeks that an exchange can be worked out, I'm planning on running Q&A's like this one.
Good article on the 'Cats progress. I still stand by my prediction for Duke to win the game. However I must say after reading the article, the task appears much tougher than I thought.

Fitz has done some good things at Northwestern, no doubt about it. I know coaches don't necessarily win games, but I still feel we will have the better head coach on the field Saturday. Duke will do what they have to do to win.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT